Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

The Cashman interview after the deadline is infuriating as a Yankees fan. He basically said that they didn't go after guys like Corbin in the offseason because if they had gone after him, they wouldn't have had any money to make any other additions that benefited the team this season (like DJ LeMahieu) and that "it's all interrelated." He also said that they didn't want to pay the prospect price teams were asking for because they knew that their fallback was that they already have a good team. gently caress off Cashman and the Steinbrenners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Intruder posted:

I just don't want to go back in the tank after 2022 :( But gently caress it, I'll worry about that when it comes

I doubt the Stros will fully go in the tank immediately once the glory days are over. They'll still have Altuve, Bregman, and Yordan in 2022, and probably Springer too. With that core, it shouldn't be too hard to attract decent pitchers, even if it's not JV/Cole/Grienke.

Gotta say, the first half of the decade was totally worth it for the second half.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Carlosologist posted:

So no one is gonna talk about how the Giants added Joseph McCarthy? The new HUAC in San Francisco will be controversial

I'm curious what TB got. If they traded Richard Nixon, Studebaker, or Television, I'm gonna be pissed

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

tinstaach posted:

So here's a horrifying thought I had as a Tigers fan:

Let's say for the sake of argument that this season ends with Verlander wins the AL Cy Young and the Astros win the title.

And let's say that Verlander stays in the Cy conversation for the remaining two years on his contract, signing another extension with Houston. He still doesn't break down and retires on his own terms in 2023 at the age of 40. Maybe Houston wins another title in this time, maybe they don't.

All of these things seem plausible, maybe not likely but I wouldn't be surprised if they happened.

...does Verlander go into the HoF with an Astros cap?

lol, 40? He keeps talking about 45.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

If the Astros win another ws he absolutely goes in as an astro

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Just design a new logo and put that on his HoF cap

Some kind of, I dunno, a tiger wearing an astronaut suit

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Maybe I’m dumb for never noticing its existence before, but one of the Astros beat writers tweeted a link to a Top 30 prospect list that provides detailed scouting reports and even ETAs for each team. I’ve been digging into it now that Houston has some new rankings and it’s kinda fascinating.

I also find it odd that Seth Beer is ranked so high in the Dbacks system but both Bukauskas and Martin aren’t in the top 10. I know that’s because of the grading system, but you’d think potential starters would hold more value than a guy who’s destined for Backup 1B/DH.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I also find it odd that Seth Beer is ranked so high in the Dbacks system but both Bukauskas and Martin aren’t in the top 10. I know that’s because of the grading system, but you’d think potential starters would hold more value than a guy who’s destined for Backup 1B/DH.

Beer has the 9th best wRC+ (170) out of the 1422 professional minor league baseball players who have had at least 200 PAs this year, so it looks like his ranking might also be based on performance.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

elentar posted:

You've all seen this by now or should have but just in case it got lost in the deadline day festivities
https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1156763753377128452

I actually did not know such a wonderful thing existed.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

tinstaach posted:

...does Verlander go into the HoF with an Astros cap?

Kind of up to Sandoval, isn't it?

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

ihatepants posted:

Beer has the 9th best wRC+ (170) out of the 1422 professional minor league baseball players who have had at least 200 PAs this year, so it looks like his ranking might also be based on performance.

Its partly this, but also it's that the risk of catastrophic injury is so high for pitchers that it tends to push them down prospect lists. A risky position player is still probably a safer bet than a 'safe' pitcher.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ihatepants posted:

The Cashman interview after the deadline is infuriating as a Yankees fan. He basically said that they didn't go after guys like Corbin in the offseason because if they had gone after him, they wouldn't have had any money to make any other additions that benefited the team this season (like DJ LeMahieu) and that "it's all interrelated." He also said that they didn't want to pay the prospect price teams were asking for because they knew that their fallback was that they already have a good team. gently caress off Cashman and the Steinbrenners.
Isn’t half the team on the DL right now also?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe I’m dumb for never noticing its existence before, but one of the Astros beat writers tweeted a link to a Top 30 prospect list that provides detailed scouting reports and even ETAs for each team. I’ve been digging into it now that Houston has some new rankings and it’s kinda fascinating.

Not a single LHP lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Happy August

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895195