Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Link0306_/status/1554933007609470976?t=z4vESsZL1GRWGb4mJoWHoA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh my god that thread goes on after that screenshot and Uchikoshi starts literally quoting existentialism at the guy, it's incredible

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/1554901149123497984

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I already liked Uchikoshi. Now I think I love him.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

he loving owns

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We're seeing Zero Escape 4 happen on Twitter.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't think I've seen something so great from a developer in a while

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Walla posted:

Dude's been my favorite writer for a decade or so now. I hope one day I get to meet him and shake his hand :3:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Walla posted:

Seriously. I’m shocked how eloquent he is even in English. What a champ.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

came here to post Uchikoshi tweets, my job here is done

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Uchikoshi fuckin' rocks.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Holy poo poo.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1554939095641509888

:vince:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Uchikoshi's writing may be hit or miss regarding LGTb+ people, but god be damned if he isn't an ally.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/manglegrove/status/1554855432350466048

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
uchi is genuinely the best game dev, possibly ever, i genuinely love this man

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/DrCullenPHD/status/1555664584601640960?t=49yhmURK3s8eVnUz6LgkFg&s=19

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Got to the end of this big dumb game, including the secret post end, and it's great.

The only thing I was not on board for were the action sequences, that was the Worst poo poo. After a while I just started to speed through it without even watching it the first time around. There's nothing more boring than Mizuki stiffly hitting identical mooks with a pipe a hundred loving times.

Other than that, game owns.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
It bugs me that the ending dance is low resolution and blurry. It's a jarring change from the rest of the game.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

grate deceiver posted:

The only thing I was not on board for were the action sequences, that was the Worst poo poo. After a while I just started to speed through it without even watching it the first time around. There's nothing more boring than Mizuki stiffly hitting identical mooks with a pipe a hundred loving times.

Very agree, if you’re gonna do QTE action sequences you’ve gotta go all the way and have nearly every action be a QTE and lots of fun and funny fail states. For all the hate David Cage gets, this is where his games excel. The single chase sequence across the freeway in Detroit Beyond Human has more excitement than every action sequence in this game put together.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

This game just had a steam sale where buying the bundle if you already own the first one was cheaper than having the second standalone so I finally got a chance to play it.

I enjoyed it but I agree with the seeming goon majority opinion that the story seemed to exist only to support the twists rather than the other way around. Too much of the game was also just investigating places to receive no clues.

However I have no idea why people disliked Zero Time Dilemma. Yeah some stuff from VLR was dropped but the game itself and the wacky plot beats were still fun! The twists were fun! Required an impossible machine to work at one point but otherwise, I don't get the complaints.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

bewilderment posted:

However I have no idea why people disliked Zero Time Dilemma. Yeah some stuff from VLR was dropped but the game itself and the wacky plot beats were still fun! The twists were fun! Required an impossible machine to work at one point but otherwise, I don't get the complaints.

ZTD's problems are similar to NI's.

NI + ZTD: Both have central mysteries ("Which of these characters is Zero?"/"How are these body halves separated by six years?") where the answers ultimately rely on stuff that's not confusing or mysterious to any character in the story, just the reader ("Zero is the one who has always been slightly offscreen"/"They aren't, and nobody ever thought they were"). They both have clues where an attentive reader could figure it out, but they're not a stories-with-a-twist, they're presentation-with-a-twist, which is less satisfying. That's only really worked in (Other Uchikoshi game) Ever17 where the 'reader' POV is also secretly a character that's participating in the story

Apart from that, ZTD had other more mundane problems, like janky animation, splitting apart the cast so they mostly didn't interact, and the fragmentation making it so the story couldn't really build on itself very well.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i think the twist in NI could have worked if it either actually leaned into ryuji being an unreliable narrator who thinks the events happened in the order you're lead to believe, with the revelation of the actual order allowing the mystery to be solved by the characters instead of just mama breaking the 4th wall to go 'oh yeah the game was messing with you the whole time', or really went somewhere with the meta stuff beyond just the secret at the end but as-is it was just kinda overly contrived and underbaked. still a fun time just not really thrilling in the way uchikoshi can be at his best

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Randomly noticed the first game on sale on steam last week, probably going to fire it up, it's got solid reviews all around so I hope I enjoy it.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

bewilderment posted:

Personally I enjoyed it, and also enjoyed my second playthrough too a couple of years later. It's clearly the least good in the trilogy but still really good.

If anything, the biggest thing that bothered me was the over-ambitious camerawork with those basic 3D models with bad animation, which makes it look visually really bad. Probably should've just stuck with the simple visual novel angles like VLR did.

Nonetheless, I consider ZTD a good game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Maybe I have a high tolerance but other than ZTD obviously not having a high graphics budget, I had no issues with how it looked visually. It didn't look actively 'bad'.

I also enjoyed playing it much more than VLR.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I finished Nirvana, except for the final somnium that’s just the first room in 999.

This was pretty good but could’ve been better. Not quite sure how to feel about the final ending, I’m happy Shoma still has a dad though. And that Kizuna/Lien never had to go through that awkward phase of their relationship where she has massive emotional baggage because of his disability. Actually, I guess I’m pretty fine with the actual for real ending even if “I told Ryuki how to beat the game and he handled everything offscreen” is kinda anticlimactic.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Girlfriend and I played through Somnium 1 over a few weeks this month, loving loved it.

We're kinda cold on 2! 1 Route finished we got to Shoma being happy, which is nice and things are starting to connect, but these somniums feel way more guided the first game, a lot more direct instead of trying to figure out some moon logic based on emotional states. Ryuki and Tama just kinda suck rear end compared to Date and Aiba, and the tease of Mizuki and Aiba was also hype but its been so many, many hours since we were in the present with them. I'm holding out hope that there's not much left of the 6 years in the past and we're gonna be like 70/30 on Mizuki screentime and a more interesting Ryuki who's broken down, any time Date and Mizuki are on screen we light up, they're so much better to listen to. Starting to sound like the plot is someone doing sickass murders for revenge on the child experiments Chikara was up to.
Really hoping it picks up, but my girlfriend might abandon ship.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It's not as good as the original but it's worth finishing

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I 100% finished it but I didn't think it was that good either

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I think in the sequel I enjoyed the fact that it had some actual, decent puzzles instead of only dream-logic trial-and-error nonsense.

But yes, the original game was on the whole still a lot better.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
It's still a good game but definitely doesn't live up to the original yeah. It has some neat plot developments and twists but overall the first game works a lot better as a standalone.

I will say I did end up appreciating Tama and Ryuki a lot more as the game went on.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Well, glad to have my expectations in check at least.

Date: there's a lot of circumstantial evidence that this guy is the culprit, or if nothing else we know for a fact they saw something critical to understanding the case, there is no convincing them or they are incapable of giving us the information, there is no other way left but to psync
Ryuki: we mini-psync and it looks like they wanna tell us more stuff about where they ate a hot dog, we should psync right now.

Still in Ryuki Chapter 5 R1 Iris' pokemon go somnium was super fun, but loving christ it's literally surrounded before and after by us seeing Tearer say "hey, I want this information to get to probably the player character" and the location is the loving evil temple that is the only place Ryuki hasn't gone to that day. Gonna have a mountain of nitpicks when I'm done, but it's still a nice VN.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

What, is this August 32nd?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

reached The plot twist of 2 and stopped
loving lost it, dna timeline, holy gently caress, but no, it can't be, uchikoshi must be a fraud it doesn't add up so i go back to a couple chapters and gently caress gently caress it does add up. mizuki's appearance doesn't exactly but it'll probably be addressed when i go back in. aaaaaaaaaaa. and aaa gently caress. Boss said Aiba was on assignment elsewhere.

Still think the first game is better, but now this really makes 2 get loving close. My girlfriend does not care for this bullshit lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MorningMoon posted:

loving lost it, dna timeline, holy gently caress, but no, it can't be, uchikoshi must be a fraud it doesn't add up so i go back to a couple chapters and gently caress gently caress it does add up. mizuki's appearance doesn't exactly but it'll probably be addressed when i go back in. aaaaaaaaaaa. and aaa gently caress. Boss said Aiba was on assignment elsewhere.

Still think the first game is better, but now this really makes 2 get loving close. My girlfriend does not care for this bullshit lol

:yeshaha:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

I like it in concept, but in execution, I feel like it stumbles a bit. The game tries to seed the twist by having Komeji's murder be recent in both routes, but to me, it felt less like foreshadowing in the moment and more like an error in writing. If there had been more crosses between the timelines to nail in that something was weird, it would have worked better. Also, it's a completely meta twist that doesn't affect the characters whatsoever, and then just leads into what I feel like is a very underwhelming enemy, with the loving wild ride of successive twists in the original's endgame replaced with...yet more boring rear end fight scenes that you can't ignore because they're QTEs.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I like it in concept, but in execution, I feel like it stumbles a bit. The game tries to seed the twist by having Komeji's murder be recent in both routes, but to me, it felt less like foreshadowing in the moment and more like an error in writing. If there had been more crosses between the timelines to nail in that something was weird, it would have worked better. Also, it's a completely meta twist that doesn't affect the characters whatsoever, and then just leads into what I feel like is a very underwhelming enemy, with the loving wild ride of successive twists in the original's endgame replaced with...yet more boring rear end fight scenes that you can't ignore because they're QTEs.

I dig it enough because my mind is flowing with questions i can go answer right now. But it absolutely makes the main story clunkier than it should've been, on top of just being a much weaker story. The hours of maze-like navigating routes in the first one and trying to piece together a truth are complemented with Date trying to balance his personal life that's 4 layers of found family with his professional life or other aspects of his personal life, how he cares about Mizuki and Iris is supremely interested while the murders are asynchronous and you have to wonder what are the differences. Here up until the twist everything felt very slow and characters having to be away or kept stuff away to make the twist work.

I probably won't pick up on the story until tomorrow, but gently caress, I'll probably go back every few hours because now I keep getting exciting questions like "where was the robot when?"

Beat it. The Very end was dumb but up to finishing the last somnium had me on the edge of my seat. It's a step below 1, and I spent most of the game thinking it's 2 or 3 steps below, but that sure was a cool stunt. Did the number end, was cool.

I'll pop if they announce a third one, but deffo uchi needs to direct as well like in 1, figure out why 2 is more sluggish than 1 (both are unity right?) And just lower the scope.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 5, 2023

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

w/r/t all of the above yeah I popped off about the twist when playing but it's soured for me over time. I almost wish they'd leant harder into the Frayer stuff because that wouldve made the timeline "twist" hit harder (maybe we, the Frayer, were causing Ryuki's memory problems instead of (checks extremely smudged writing on wrist) the evil virus of the day.
I still want more because I think the mechanics and characters are solid, the mystery just left me kinda cold compared to AITSF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
https://fxtwitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/1773201345111048438

it is happening, again (again)