Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Paul Zuvella posted:

If you’re going to write a 6 year gap into your story you should probably like, make multiple models of characters and make the same locations look different. This is just amazingly lazy

A couple of these instances have plot explanations actually. Namely Shoma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

Mizuki divergence WHAT THE gently caress!!!!! SO THAT'S WHY HE DOESN'T HAVE A NEW MODEL

I was just sitting smiling devilishly at your first post complaining about this. :unsmigghh:

It's so good.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Zeron posted:

Just finished it all. I was a bit down on the first half of the game because it felt like every moment I enjoyed was just playing off the nostalgia of the first game, but once the train ride really started I enjoyed it a lot. It was also really, really dumb. But in a good way. Not as good as the first game but still real good.

I did start catching on to the timeline stuff before they revealed it and it -was- a cool reveal but...because you don't know it's happening it makes it really difficult to piece the timelines together in the right order afterwards.

I'm still very confused about Ryuki, like what happened to his brother, what his actual issues are, and so on.

And I'm completely sick of Boss at this point. Leaving the prototype Sync machine around, the whole secret daughter nonsense, not getting Ryuki any help at all, sending the cops to capture/kill in that one timeline...

The loving rocket scooters...

Ryuki was traumatized pretty heavily from seeing his brother run over and people comment on the fact that he's a bit high strung and seems not entirely okay from the start. Then he opens the Virus Box and gets sprayed with TC-PERGE in the face which starts deteriorating his mental state even further. Then the whole incident in the cathedral is what finally completely breaks his mind into pieces from the guilt. He lead Date, and inadvertently all the others, right to Tearer. In his mind it's 100% his own fault that Date died, Kizuna was paralyzed, and Mizuki lost her left eye. Dude went through *a lot*.

Looking back now, him seeming to bounce back and forth between being batshit insane and relatively lucid and with it was another little bit of a hint of the timeline being out of order. Also when you look at the True Timeline you suddenly realize that Boss chewing his rear end out wasn't her being way overly harsh on him for letting a suspect escape from the underground. That was her chewing him out for shooting at a civilian. It's actually really fun to look back at the game with the True Timeline in mind to realize this kind of poo poo.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

This might be a weird opinion but I feel like with the Ai series specifically the crazy plot and batshit writing almost takes a side seat to the character writing as being more of what Uchikoshi seems to want to really go in on. Both games have some really endearing characters with nice moments and complex motivations and stuff. I think perhaps the first game was a little better with this (I still tear up at hearing the theme to Mayumi's Somnium as just one example) but both games have moments that really hooked my feelings and got me invested that had little or no relevance to the actual big crazy plot. For what the story writing can sometimes lack in cohesion or whatnot I think the character writing is exceptional.

Also I just want to hug Gen and protect him forever.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

To be fair, Boss being a lovely person isn't exactly out of character.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I forget where I read it and I dunno if it's legit but I remember that Komeji's design sort of came about as Uchikoshi remember some dude "who had a really square face" and him just wanting to take that to it's absolute logical extreme for no apparent reason.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It's just a thing.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Paul Zuvella posted:

wait hold the phone. Was it ever explained why Gen was in Tokiko's somnium?

He was the result of genetic experimentation by Chikara. So assumedly he would've has a least a passing acquaintance with her given she was passing through the institute pretty regularly to talk to Tearer.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

As someone that enjoyed the Requisite Goofy Pop Song of this game it still toed the line on being overplayed a little by the end.

But then I couldn't stay mad at it when they put a whole lot of effort into making a special dance number for Lien carrying Kizzy and dancing for her. It's just too cute and wholesome.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The scene I believe they're remembering is when the Mizukis discover the fake missile at the Misetan Amusement Park. They run into Ryuki standing there in a daze and when they question what he's up to he's somewhat despondent and just says he's "waiting for it to come down". This is exactly what's happening when he's pursuing Shoma and the kid gets on the ferris wheel and is just suddenly gone from existence once his carriage makes it back down.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Actually that does bring to mind one of the big differences with this game compared to the first that probably had something to do with it feeling less high stakes.

It's way less visceral and gory. Which is weird to say when the premise is people getting split in half but it's somehow true. The first game wasn't afraid to actually show some more gruesome stuff and it really made situations feel tense. The worst this game ever gets is showing a bit of blood splatter.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

That was the best part of ZTD. Say what you will about the mess it was in other areas, it was some fun schlock. :v:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

One thing the sequel didn't disappoint on at least is the music. Lots of good stuff in here just like the first game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJVot8O9g4M

Low-fi beats to chill and dissociate to.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Nyoro posted:

I havent played the first game since it came out but it's sounding like I should do a replay TBH

Same honestly. A lot of the finer details have leaked out of my memory. I mostly just remember The Twist and the parts that made me cry involving Mayumi.

Uchikoshi really likes to write emotional story pieces around parent & child relationships.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

One of the core things of ZTD was that they had devices attached to them that would sedate them and wipe their memories every hour. Every segment you could pick from to play from the big story screen was basically one of those hour chunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Uchikoshi fuckin' rocks.