Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Castle Rock is back on Hulu with the first three episodes of season 2 dropping this week. With new episodes being released on a weekly basis.

Season 2 takes place a year after the events of the first season but is set around the neighboring town of Jerusalem's Lot where there's a growing conflict between the old town residents and new(er) Somali immigrants.

S2 cast:

Lizzy Caplan as Annie Wilkes, a nurse dealing with mental issues who gets stuck in Castle Rock. Ruby Cruz portrays a young Annie Wilkes in a recurring role.

Paul Sparks as John "Ace" Merrill, who stands to take over the family business.

Barkhad Abdi as Abdi Omar, Nadia's older brother who wants to strengthen Somali ties in their community.

Yusra Warsama as Dr. Nadia Omar, a Somali doctor employed as the medical director at the hospital in Jerusalem's Lot.

Elsie Fisher as Joy Wilkes, Annie's daughter.

Matthew Alan as Chris Merrill, Ace's brother who finds himself stuck between the feud between the Merrills and the Somali community.

Tim Robbins as Reginald "Pop" Merrill, the dying head of the Merrill crime family.

King Konnections:
Jerusalem's Lot aka Salem's Lot - featured in quite a few stories but mainly the focus of the short story "Jerusalem's Lot" which takes place in the 1800's and has the town completely abandoned due to cult activities and the summoning of a giant monster. Also of course the novel Salem's Lot where the town is slowly taken over by vampires.

Annie Wilkes - the antagonist of the novel Misery where she kidnaps famous author Paul Sheldon and forces him to write a new novel in her favorite series

Ace Merrill - short story The Body (also the movie Stand By Me) a bully who chases the main characters of the story

Pop Merill - short story The Sun Dog about a haunted Polaroid camera that is brought into his shop by the protagonist of the story.

I've only watched the first episode of the season so far but it sure goes some places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Lizzie Caplan is amazing and that ice cream scoop was perfect.

After episode three I've no idea where this season is going. It's fantastic.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
I'm glad that it isn't a continuation of season one. I remember nothing from season one.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I have never read any of King's books. Do I need to know about his stuff other than the things I've picked up from pop culture to understand what is going on in this show?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No, the seasons themselves are self contained. The references are mostly little Easter egg type bits, like it isn't super important to know that the retired cop character from s1 was the main character in Needful Things.

I've watched all three available episodes and I was wondering if they weren't actually going to do any supernatural stuff this season but they pretty clearly answer that question.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
So far is way better than season one. Lizzy Caplan is fantastic in this role.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I liked S1 but so far S2 is way better. I'm very surprised no one is talking about it just on the basis of how amazing the cast is.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah season 2 is much better than season 1 and I liked season 1 . Lizzy Caplin and Elsie Fisher are great.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Agreed. S1 was too convoluted - I really can't remember anything about how it ended since it was all over the map and I never cared much about the characters. The Queen was an outstanding episode though, so at least there's that.

Lizzy Caplan is killing it this season and the smaller focus helps a lot.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
The problem with S1 is that it seems to start with a very basic premis, the kid is the Devil/from Hell. Then he turned out to be a dimensional refugee. He went from a menacing autist to someone you should feel sorry for, in a very clumsy manner and that was the problem.

Caplan plays the crazy perfectly. The B-plot with the undead people or whatever can be cut and this show would still be perfect.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I liked season one more so far. Weird being with unexplained powers, crazy ringing sounds, all sorts of bizarre. The only surreal or mysterious thing here really is people coming back to life which so far I'm not extremely interested in. Lizzy Caplan is very very good though.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

So I guess we're doing Misery meets Salem's Lot, but with Pet Sematary instead of vampires? Anyway, I'm all aboard.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I liked S1 but so far S2 is way better. I'm very surprised no one is talking about it just on the basis of how amazing the cast is.

Yeah. I was fully invested by end of ep. 1

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just binged all 5 available episodes yesterday and it's fantastic.

I doubt anything will reach the caliber of "The Queen" from Season 1, since I consider that one of the most moving pieces of television I've seen full stop, but the backstory we got in episode 5 hit pretty close. There's a lot of emotional investment in this season compared to the last one.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Season 2 was going so well... Why did they jump back into JJ Abrams boring nebulous alternate reality "spooky" stuff? So lame. It's not mysterious if you make up whatever rules you want. That doesn't keep the audience guessing. That's just lost polar bears again.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

caleb posted:

Season 2 was going so well... Why did they jump back into JJ Abrams boring nebulous alternate reality "spooky" stuff? So lame. It's not mysterious if you make up whatever rules you want. That doesn't keep the audience guessing. That's just lost polar bears again.

Wait... are you asking why there's supernatural content in a show based on Stephen King's horror novels?

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Good point. I guess after the last episode I was really engaged and the cave scene just seemed forced and like a deleted scene from a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode and kind of killed the build up for me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

caleb posted:

Good point. I guess after the last episode I was really engaged and the cave scene just seemed forced and like a deleted scene from a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode and kind of killed the build up for me.

They've been building up what's below the Marsten house all season, it didn't really surprise me, and didn't seem like a time traveling twist as much as just... People possessed by old spirits. I liked it :)

I don't even know what the right thing to put on spoilers is

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I appreciate the spoilers because I haven’t watched past episode 2, but someone off handedly mentioning Buffy the Vampire Slayer has me excited due to the implications. I really want to see Annie Wilkes kill some vampires while saying poo poo like “holy caca doody!”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Also, I love the bullies in King’s books so Ace showing up is loving great. I love that King had Ace show up as an old burnout in Needful Things, nice to see his character staying consistent in this. I was really hoping one of his goons names was Eyeball.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I just watched the first episode.

Why did they drop all the open plot threads from Season 1 and why does Season 2 of Castle Rock not take place in Castle Rock?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I just watched the first episode.

Why did they drop all the open plot threads from Season 1 and why does Season 2 of Castle Rock not take place in Castle Rock?

Each is season is a completely self contained story.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

COOL CORN posted:

Each is season is a completely self contained story.
No, I get that it's an American Horror Story style anthology season by season. But there were a lot of parts of season 1 that went absolutely nowhere and felt like they were going to be part of season 2 now that Deaver's story had been told. Like Jackie Torrence, for instance.

Which, if they're dropping all of that, fine, but why aren't we even in Castle Rock? Is there a good reason that comes up later?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

No, I get that it's an American Horror Story style anthology season by season. But there were a lot of parts of season 1 that went absolutely nowhere and felt like they were going to be part of season 2 now that Deaver's story had been told. Like Jackie Torrence, for instance.

They lost the actress, but pretty much everything else was resolved.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just finished episode 3 and I am enraptured with Lizzy Caplan in this role. She is so gosh dang good.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

She really is.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ruddiger posted:

Just finished episode 3 and I am enraptured with Lizzy Caplan in this role. She is so gosh dang good.

Episode 5 really solidified it for me, her range is incredible.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm still just tickled pink that they had Annie Wilkes strapped to a bed for a whole episode trying to escape.

It was so obvious, but I never saw it coming.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Well okay then. I thought the statue was just an easter egg, but nnnnope.

Edit: What, wtf, there are only eight episodes this season? get fuucked,

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 21, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Edit: What, wtf, there are only eight episodes this season? get fuucked,

Where is this coming from? I checked earlier and Futon Critic has 10 listed, through 12/11. That's the only source I could find for any number.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Haha okay, that reveal in the last episode retroactively improved season 1 for me. I'm tentatively on board with this now.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Haha okay, that reveal in the last episode retroactively improved season 1 for me. I'm tentatively on board with this now.

Yeah seriously, drat. So much for season 1 not mattering for season 2.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I watched the episode and have no idea what you're talking about. Did I miss something?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm guessing that the backstory for Season 1 will all be a lie and that Skarsgaard is playing Randall Flagg

And how about that '58 Fury in the parade!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I watched the episode and have no idea what you're talking about. Did I miss something?

The “Angel” who killed the Salem’s Lot colonists is revealed to be Bill Skarsgard who played The Kid in the first season, the one Henry ends up imprisoning in the bottom of Shawshank Prison. I don’t know if he’s the same character as the Kid. This is what Ace was doing at Shawshank. I don’t know if it’s the same character, of if The Kid is a reincarnation of The Angel. I’m not sure how much Stephen King you’ve read but it seems like he could be playing Randall Flagg, a very important King character who pops up in a lot of his books as a villain.

I wonder if this was planned back when they did the first season or they saw Bill Skarsgard blow up playing Pennywise and decided to keep him around.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Madurai posted:

I'm guessing that the backstory for Season 1 will all be a lie and that Skarsgaard is playing Randall Flagg

I thought it was at least heavily ambiguous back then. Kinda spoils a little of what made Season 1 great, being so definitive here. 'cause it's pretty clear that episode nine from last season was actually a complete pack of horseshit.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I wonder if this was planned back when they did the first season or they saw Bill Skarsgard blow up playing Pennywise and decided to keep him around.

Planned I reckon. There's a few other elements from that episode that reappear in this one, like the girl with the bloody knife from the portal sequence. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few other elements from that episode pop up again -- you don't cast Mamie Gummer for thirty seconds of screentime, for instance.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

I thought it was at least heavily ambiguous back then. Kinda spoils a little of what made Season 1 great, being so definitive here. 'cause it's pretty clear that episode nine from last season was actually a complete pack of horseshit.
It had an opposite effect for me 'cause I thought Season 1 was a narrative mess and hated the ending. If anything, it felt too definitive with that demon face, and I thought the more interesting story would've been either having episode 9 be the truth, or keeping it more ambiguous until the end.

But, having that plot point picked back up now, I can respect that they're at least committed to it, which is enough to get me back on board. Also, this season reminded me that Tim Robbins owns and should be in way more stuff.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The “Angel” who killed the Salem’s Lot colonists is revealed to be Bill Skarsgard who played The Kid in the first season, the one Henry ends up imprisoning in the bottom of Shawshank Prison. I don’t know if he’s the same character as the Kid. This is what Ace was doing at Shawshank. I don’t know if it’s the same character, of if The Kid is a reincarnation of The Angel. I’m not sure how much Stephen King you’ve read but it seems like he could be playing Randall Flagg, a very important King character who pops up in a lot of his books as a villain.

They're remaking The Stand with Alexander Skarsgard as Flagg.

No idea if they'll try to make some connection between the characters.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I'll be honest... I have no clue what the gently caress even happened in season 1 as is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LadyPictureShow posted:

They're remaking The Stand with Alexander Skarsgard as Flagg.

No idea if they'll try to make some connection between the characters.
We should just cast assorted Skarsgards as Flagg in every upcoming King adaption
Alexander Skarsgard as Flagg in The Stand
Bill Skarsgard as Flagg in Castle Rock
Gustaf Skarsgard as Flagg in whatever Dark Tower series
Stellan Skarsgard as Flagg in Eyes of the Dragon