Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

By all accounts most MLB clubhouses do have an insanely rigid pecking order based on seniority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The cheating never would have happened if sportswriters hadn't insisted that Beltran's HoF chances depended entirely on a WS ring.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

is the first most famous GBN alum the powderpuff game

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Ty Kelly is a very pro follow over on yon Twitter.

This x1000

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

New Concept Hole posted:

The cheating never would have happened if sportswriters hadn't insisted that Beltran's HoF chances depended entirely on a WS ring.

This is all 2013 David Ortiz’s fault.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pancakes posted:

This is all 2013 David Ortiz’s fault.

gently caress Mike Matheny.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Trevor Bauer has some thoughts on the new posteason ideas:

https://twitter.com/JulianGuilarte1/status/1227349107485945857?s=20

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

:mets:

I remember Ty Kelly!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

Between Kipnis, Descalso, Nico, and Bote, the Cubs almost have a single league average 2B!

I have to imagine it'll be Bote, right? He's actually decent and should have played most of last year.

My question is who the hell backs up Baez at SS? Can Bote do that? Imagine they want to keep Nico down to play everyday in Iowa.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Man I remember Mariner guys on Lookouy Landing hyping Ty Kelly like crazy because he was those pure OBP guys who drew more walks than strikeouts.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

I have to imagine it'll be Bote, right? He's actually decent and should have played most of last year.

My question is who the hell backs up Baez at SS? Can Bote do that? Imagine they want to keep Nico down to play everyday in Iowa.

Right now the positional depth for SS is Javy -> Nico -> Uh Bote I guess but he's pretty bad at it -> Whoever is playing it in AAA this year I guess???

It's not great.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Love to reach the natural end state of Cubsposting where an MVP candidate and a serviceable young backup are inadequate at shortstop

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah exactly how much more depth do you need than Baez/Hoerner? That's a pretty good duo and in a pinch Kipnis/Bote could play.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm assuming Hoerner starts in AAA barring a monster Spring. Seems you'd want him to be playing everyday somewhere till he's ready to start.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Niwrad posted:

I'm assuming Hoerner starts in AAA barring a monster Spring. Seems you'd want him to be playing everyday somewhere till he's ready to start.

Yeah, second base :v:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Also we have Robel Garcia who rules and I hope he gets a decent amount of playing time.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Poque posted:

Yeah, second base :v:

His bat is not ready for the majors. Bote is also good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Theo Epstein and Joe Maddon are very subtly throwing shade at one another.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So Mookie Betts is being replaced by...

... Kevin Pillar?

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/barrysvrluga/status/1227333812327243776

quote:

The Los Angeles Dodgers, who lost the 2017 World Series to Houston, were particularly forthcoming. Several Dodgers reached out to Washington second baseman Brian Dozier, who had been with Los Angeles the previous year, to say Houston was stealing signs, according to one person with knowledge of the talks.

Martinez spoke with Alex Cora, the former Houston bench coach, who was by that point managing the Red Sox, according to two people with knowledge of the conversations. Cora, named in the MLB report as a primary instigator of the Astros’ scheme, was subsequently fired by the Red Sox, with whom he won a World Series title in 2018, but failed to make the playoffs in 2019.

Martinez, according to one person, also reached out to Tony Sipp, a reliever for Houston from 2014 to 2018 who spent the first part of 2019 with Washington. Martinez and Sipp didn’t connect, but Nationals pitcher Max Scherzer took his own steps to track down Sipp. It is standard for pitchers and catchers to switch to a more complex set of signs with runners on second — to prevent the runner from stealing the sign and signaling it to the batter, a practice that for years has been considered acceptable — but Scherzer asked Sipp whether the Nationals needed to be concerned about the Astros even with no runners on base. Sipp said yes, according to a person familiar with the conversation.

So the Nationals’ plan took shape. The pitchers first met on the Friday before the World Series started. They assigned each pitcher five sets of signs, all of which could be affixed to the inside of their caps. They outfitted catchers Yan Gomes and Kurt Suzuki with wristbands with all those signs, much like a quarterback who wears plays on his forearm. Although traditional sign-stealing requires a runner on second base who can see the catcher put down his fingers, the Nationals instructed their catchers to put down multiple signs even when there was only a runner on first or there was no one on base.

Nats were all over that poo poo lmao

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 12, 2020

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/mlbonfox/status/1227336296269479936?s=21

We need some help here

Can’t let BFIB win

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

What's this, a poll for who gets national broadcasts? loving take them all, Pittsburgh.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Pancakes posted:

What's this, a poll for who gets national broadcasts? loving take them all, Pittsburgh.

Who has the better fanbases. Angels are getting trounced despite having one of the better attendances in MLB

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Pancakes posted:

Haha it’s a “best fanbase” poll

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

WHO is the best fan in baseball?

YOU pressed YOU, referring to ME. The correct answer is YOU!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

loving pro click, right here

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

GalacticAcid posted:

Haha it’s a “best fanbase” poll

Possibly the dumbest poll in existence today. Schnorkles, what say you?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Tom Gorman posted:

WHO is the best fan in baseball?

YOU pressed YOU, referring to ME. The correct answer is YOU!

lol

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Signs are only important because pitch framing is important, because we haven't replaced umpires with robots.

In short, put umps in the trash cans.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

New Concept Hole posted:

Signs are only important because pitch framing is important, because we haven't replaced umpires with robots.

In short, put umps in the trash cans.

Signs are incredibly important so that the catcher knows what the hell is coming.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Popete posted:

Yeah exactly how much more depth do you need than Baez/Hoerner? That's a pretty good duo and in a pinch Kipnis/Bote could play.

With Zack Short in Iowa ready to go if need be. Shortstop isn’t an issue, it’s the “Let’s see what sticks!” Approach to 2B, CF, lead off, and Bullpen.

Not that anyone will be able to watch it as is...

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Inspector_666 posted:

Signs are incredibly important so that the catcher knows what the hell is coming.

So you're saying the catcher should be a robot?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

New Concept Hole posted:

So you're saying the catcher should be a robot?

through cloning, each team gets its own Molina, but it's a three-tier salary system where they have to choose between a Yadi, Jose, or Bengie.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Hoerner has less than 350 minor league AB's, maybe he could get some seasoning in AAA before instantly being slotted in to the Cubs opening day roster?

The fact that he was rushed up from AA last season is a testament to how bad the Cubs SS depth is. There's pretty much nothing viable behind Javy at this point unless you actually think Nico is MLB ready (I'm skeptical) or that Bote can properly play the position (lol).

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i know he's washed, but i've always liked kipnis and am glad he is on the cubs

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

through cloning, each team gets its own Molina, but it's a three-tier salary system where they have to choose between a Yadi, Jose, or Bengie.

Trigger warning for, well, pretty much everyone but Cardinals fans: The Cardinals actually produced a whole documentary about the Molina family this offseason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Cmm7191Fw

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bengie molina's triple for the cycle is still one of my favorite baseball highlights

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It would be funny if the Dodgers very quickly announced Mookie to a huge long term deal after everything

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hey im an Australian and just randomly reading about Baseball rules and i need an explanation on a double off because i dont get it.

Why are there seemingly different rules for stealing a base and tag ups? Shouldn't on the run the place of getting an out move up a base to where the batter is headed rather than just touching the base where they once were.

This only came about because i was trying to work out how an unassisted triple play works and i dont get the middle part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If a runner is moving to a base they are forced to attempt to take (running to first base on a ball in play, running to second base from first base after the hitter puts a ball in play, etc) then they can be forced out simply by the defender having control of the ball and contact with the bag.

If a runner is moving to a base they are not forced to attempt to take (tagging up on a deep fly ball, stealing a base, trying to go from first to third on a ball in play) then the defender has to tag the runner for them to be out.