Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
For All Mankind is great from 1-4
It's less realistic (sorta) in 3/4 but it's still good. It just depends how you feel about interpersonal drama I think. I'm fine with it, some people hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Just skip the parts.

You'll know the parts.

Its fine if you do that, you lose basically next to nothing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jehde posted:

Season 3 of For All Mankind wasn't that bad, it's just that the previous seasons were so impeccably great.

There's some pretty dumb poo poo, and an weird fake-out cliffhanger that reads like a dropped plotline. It's not great.

This Charming Man
Apr 18, 2010
Appreciate all the recommendations ITT. Thanks, goons!!

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

This Charming Man posted:

Appreciate all the recommendations ITT. Thanks, goons!!

If you’re cool with kids shows, Shape Island is cute and fun.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

This Charming Man posted:

Got a 3-month trial to Apple TV+ with my new TV and I'm looking for must-watch stuff before it runs out. So far I've just been watching Masters of the Air and the animated movie Wolfwalkers.

I see a good bit of praise for Constellation in the thread which I'll check out but is there anything else that should be on my radar?

Calls is really cool if you like sci-fi horror.

It's an audio drama where you over-hear hosed up phone calls. The visuals are exclusively sound bars, though the show gets creative with them and tie them into the storytelling.

The cast is surprisingly good for what it is as well.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 29, 2024

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Don't forget animal shows like Earth at Night with Tom Hiddleston and Tiny World with Paul Rudd :colbert:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Anyone watched Liaison with Vincent Cassel and Eva Green? It's about Anglo-French spies and a cyber terror plot in London.
I watched the first and while the cast is great it feels like it's going down a road plot wise I've seen a hundred times already.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Constellation is pretty good so far, but I really want something to happen in the next episode. Like, I think we all get the premise and what's going on now. Are the characters just going to be confused for 4 more episodes?

I guess I want more weird science stuff and less 'Mummy!'.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 2, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I agree. I want Jo and Bud to start working together and not just Jo constantly getting scared of things and only telling people who won't understand.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Attack on Princess posted:

Calls is really cool if you like sci-fi horror.

It's an audio drama where you over-hear hosed up phone calls. The visuals are exclusively sound bars, though the show gets creative with them and tie them into the storytelling.

The cast is surprisingly good for what it is as well.
Your description made me think of The Booth at the End. Love shows like that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CeeJee posted:

Anyone watched Liaison with Vincent Cassel and Eva Green? It's about Anglo-French spies and a cyber terror plot in London.
I watched the first and while the cast is great it feels like it's going down a road plot wise I've seen a hundred times already.

Ahhh man, you had me pumped up with that first line (Vincent Cassel and Eva Green as spies sounds loving awesome) and punctured my enthusiasm with the second :smith:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I know it's been a quarter of a century since my guy played one of the best villains of all time in Les Miserables (2000), but it's sad to see John Malkovitch's French accent suck so bad in The New Look.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember his Russian accent in Rounders lol

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Data Graham posted:

I remember his Russian accent in Rounders lol

You halfve my mahoney?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Looking at oreos in growing horror
"NYET! NYET!"

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

His catholic accent in The New Pope was worse.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Looking at oreos in growing horror
"NYET! NYET!"

lmao at the notoriously difficult to beat poker player having the most egregiously obvious tell imaginable

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

lmao at the notoriously difficult to beat poker player having the most egregiously obvious tell imaginable

Wasn't this movie the start of the Poker boom, when people didn't know poo poo about it?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Wasn't this movie the start of the Poker boom, when people didn't know poo poo about it?

Pretty much, right in the Chris Moneymaker era where ESPN made it look like every hand was monster hand over monster hand instead of endless hours of boring poo poo left on the editing room floor.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BOORRN and TOORRN

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Jerusalem posted:

Ahhh man, you had me pumped up with that first line (Vincent Cassel and Eva Green as spies sounds loving awesome) and punctured my enthusiasm with the second :smith:

In the end it was not as bad as I feared. The twists are predictable but not dragged out too much and Green and Cassel are reallly good. The Syrian refugees are great too.
The plot device of the comically evil PMC with moles everywhere and heavily armed teams operating freely in Europe is getting used too much at the moment I think.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Been psyched for this since I heard it announced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twvPGxuEOEA

The trailer is super misleading though, to the point where I reckon it could hurt the show a bit. It's a science fiction story.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Open Source Idiom posted:

Been psyched for this since I heard it announced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twvPGxuEOEA

The trailer is super misleading though, to the point where I reckon it could hurt the show a bit. It's a science fiction story.

I would never have guessed that based on the trailer, how odd.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oasx posted:

I would never have guessed that based on the trailer, how odd.

I think there's a hint in the song choice, and in the dialogue being so cheesy. But not enough to distinguish itself from, say, a bad show, and not a show by a guy who worked on Preacher and Breaking Bad.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I was really hoping that it wasn't called Sugar because the main character is named Sugar but welp.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I think there's a hint in the song choice, and in the dialogue being so cheesy. But not enough to distinguish itself from, say, a bad show, and not a show by a guy who worked on Preacher and Breaking Bad.

who? I was curious why you were excited by the show so I looked it up and found very few details other than it being a sci-fi drama that's created by mark protosevich and directed by fernando meirelles, neither of whom worked on those shows from what I can see

mark protosevich's filmography isn't incredibly inspiring aside from the cell being cool (but I think that was more to do with tarsem singh)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Any idea when Disclaimer, Alfonso Cuarón's new thing, is coming out? Just says 2024. I imagine backend of the year?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TIP posted:

who? I was curious why you were excited by the show so I looked it up and found very few details other than it being a sci-fi drama that's created by mark protosevich and directed by fernando meirelles, neither of whom worked on those shows from what I can see

Sam Catlin, who I gather is the showrunner (but not the guy who came up with the concept, I guess).

He wrote BraBad's Fly.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I liked the new episode of Constellation. I think they could’ve moved the story along a little faster, but I’m looking forward to next weeks episode. Jonathan Banks did a great job this ep.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

frogbs posted:

I liked the new episode of Constellation. I think they could’ve moved the story along a little faster, but I’m looking forward to next weeks episode. Jonathan Banks did a great job this ep.

I like how we're steadily getting more information about what's going on, instead of the showrunners just throwing more mysterious crap at the walls like a lot of mystery shows.

It seems that the border between realities thins at liminal spaces, and outer space is the most liminal of them all. Therefore, astronauts regularly cross realities or see into different realities. Sometimes, they even become entangled with alternate versions of themselves.

Also, my dad is from Møn, so great to see it make an appearance! They should go to Møns Klint next; that's very liminal.

I do agree with the critics that the dialogue can be a bit stilted at times. Hello, famous physicist. I just called to explain the concept of quantum entanglement!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

MUMMY

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

SimonChris posted:

[...] I do agree with the critics that the dialogue can be a bit stilted at times.

That was very apparent with the Danish guy, standing there and yelling No No No as though he was about to intervene. He should've just been swearing under his breath.

I'm glad the show is finally moving on to the characters understanding what's happening though. Having said that, Jo's motivation for stealing the Cal was flimsy at best. Henry had told her it was magic, but she had way more reason to react to Henry talking to his Budleganger, or dig into why her daughter forgot Swedish in one day, than she had to run off with the Cal hoping it'd do something.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

We have to put up with American kids yelling 'Mommy' in other shows, so this is fine and okay.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I was watching Slow Horses while looking after a nephew and he asked me why everyone was calling Diana their Mom. I explained the British pronunciation of Ma'am while holding in any giggling. It's understandable why he would interpret it that way.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Scrotum Modem posted:

I was watching Slow Horses while looking after a nephew and he asked me why everyone was calling Diana their Mom. I explained the British pronunciation of Ma'am while holding in any giggling. It's understandable why he would interpret it that way.

This is giving me flashbacks to people thinking Bond was calling M “mom” in Skyfall.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

That said, people in the Midlands do say 'mom'. The weirdos.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wish constellation would just move the plot along. I get it, there's a mystery, I want to see what the mystery is. Having Jo want to figure it out, then decide she doesn't want to, and then suddenly decides she wants to again is annoying. I think I'll have to go back and watch the show again after it's all done to catch the little details.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Cojawfee posted:

I wish constellation would just move the plot along. I get it, there's a mystery, I want to see what the mystery is. Having Jo want to figure it out, then decide she doesn't want to, and then suddenly decides she wants to again is annoying. I think I'll have to go back and watch the show again after it's all done to catch the little details.

That was the general consensus of the reviews...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Constellation question about the most recent episode:

At the end the kid screams "Mamma" in contrast to saying just before that she doesn't call her mother that. Does that mean she's the kid from Noomi Rapace's home universe and I'm misremembering how the cabin stuff went down in the first episode? Is she purposefully imitating the kid from the other universe? Or is it a cliffhanger and I'm supposed to not be sure what to make of it?

Liking the show in general, even with it being a bit slow, but it also makes me miss Counterpart.