Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Willeh posted:

I did this exact thing and it seems to be working just fine, haven't seen it pop up after I put the filter in a few weeks ago.

Awesome, I’ll definitely give Podcast Addict a shot. I really get annoyed when an ICHH episode pops up in the middle of a 4 parter and I’m driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The first episode of the Steve Jobs series started today

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
A four-parter!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I know a good amount about Steve and can't wait to find out what other horrible and stupid poo poo he did.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I hope they mention his weird rear end habit of renting a new Mercedes every six months just so he could take advantage of a loophole in California law to drive without license plates. Not particularly bastardy but it's such a frivolous waste of money for the dumbest reason.

Edit: And it makes him not sending money to his freaking kid even more monstrous.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean we’re talking about a guy who thought he could outsmart cancer

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I was at Apple during the last 5 years Jobs was there (in fact, my "5 Years of Service" certificate was in the last batch that was sent out that still carried his signature). Never actually met the guy but did (remotely) attend some company Town Halls he hosted. The Q&As for those were always really interesting. One of the moments I remember most clearly was someone saying that they had seen iTunes Gift Cards on sale at some other retailer, so they asked if might ever be possible to get the gift cards at an employee discount. His reply was essentially "No. Those stores are selling those gift cards at a loss for some reason. Good for them. But this company does not sell anything at a loss. You want discounted gift cards, go get them from those stores."

I don't think the leasing a new car every 6 months is some big waste of money (especially since leasing is the smarter financial decision for those depreciating assets once you get to that level of wealth anyways). Now, I wonder if the "Park Different" thing will get a mention. That is definite bastard behavior and one of those weird anecdotes that shouldn't be lost to time (especially if it includes the fact that some employees did literally slip a piece of paper under the windshield wiper saying "Park Different" after he kept doing it.)

It was kinda hard to convey the mix of reverence and fear that Jobs inspired when he was back at Apple. On the one hand, he was so infamous for firing people at the drop of a hat that if someone ended up leaving unexpectedly people would say they "must have gotten on an elevator with Steve". This is because when he first came back to the company he was known to ask anyone who happened to be around "what exactly do you do for me?" If you didn't have a good answer, describing your job and justifying why it was necessary, he'd fire you on the spot.

Some friends in HR who went to the Cupertino campus for training told me about how the person who lead their training, who was one of the higher-ups in HR, had an office literally next door to Steve's. Every day she would walk around the building to take a side-entrance, just to decrease the likelihood that she would end up running into Steve or walking past his office while getting to her own. And like, yeah, that is hosed up. But also that's a story the woman felt comfortable telling a bunch of new hires in training. People at Apple were weirdly proud of how scary Steve was. I don't think there was a single person at the company while I was there who didn't think that Apple would have gone out of business and cease to exist if he hadn't come back and turned the place around.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

FlamingLiberal posted:

If I was gonna make a list of the moments in the last 30 years or so which would make for a decent Harry Turtledove-esque alternate history branch point, "Steve Jobs decides he can beat pancreatic cancer with a juice cleanse" wouldn't be at the top of the list, but it would be on it.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
He had a rare kind of it (neuroendocrine tumor) that's generally much more treatable than the most common type (adenocarcinoma). But he decided, effectively, not to treat it. :thunk:

Obviously it's impossible to say for sure what would've happened if he'd taken a wiser course of action. But still.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

FlamingLiberal posted:

With fruit. Turns out cancer is resistant to his bullshit.

Zugzwang posted:

he decided, effectively, not to treat it. :thunk:
Thank loving God.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wanderer posted:

If I was gonna make a list of the moments in the last 30 years or so which would make for a decent Harry Turtledove-esque alternate history branch point, "Steve Jobs decides he can beat pancreatic cancer with a juice cleanse" wouldn't be at the top of the list, but it would be on it.

It doesn't strike me as the kind of thing that would have a massive impact on the timeline, but half the fun of alternate history is spinning that kind of divergence from seemingly inconsequential changes.

Like yeah the tech industry might be bad in a slightly different way but there's no shortage of motherfuckers there.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Zugzwang posted:

He had a rare kind of it (neuroendocrine tumor) that's generally much more treatable than the most common type (adenocarcinoma). But he decided, effectively, not to treat it. :thunk:

Obviously it's impossible to say for sure what would've happened if he'd taken a wiser course of action. But still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maAIWplFWUw

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
loving poo poo. Steve Jobs had a god complex because he has stock standard mythical hero origin. A Prince and Princess from different kingdoms have a romance that produces a child, but the Princess’ evil King father wants the baby gone. So, the baby prince is secreted away to be raised by a humble peasant couple who will teach him virtue and hard work.

Jobs was a nerd, right? Surely, he saw “Clash of the TItans” and had to have been like “Oh, poo poo I am Perseus!”

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 7, 2024

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Marsupial Ape posted:

loving poo poo. Steve Jobs had a god complex because he has stock standard mythical hero origin. A Prince and Princess from different kingdoms have a romance that produces a child, but the Princess’ evil King father wants the baby gone. So, the baby prince is secreted away to be raised by a humble peasant couple who will teach him virtue and hard work.

Jobs was a nerd, right? Surely, he saw “Clash of the TItans” and had to have been like “Oh, poo poo I am Perseus!”

I think it’s much more likely he had an idea that was profitable, was cutthroat in making it incredibly profitable (jfc Christ the stuff he did to the woz) and then disappeared entirely up his own rear end than thinking he decided his life arc was mythology incarnate in the way you usually only see in people who get way to into witchy tiktok.

Dude just thought he could outsmart cancer.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think it’s much more likely he had an idea that was profitable, was cutthroat in making it incredibly profitable (jfc Christ the stuff he did to the woz) and then disappeared entirely up his own rear end than thinking he decided his life arc was mythology incarnate in the way you usually only see in people who get way to into witchy tiktok.

Dude just thought he could outsmart cancer.

We’re obviously both very high and that’s OK.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

All the god complex stuff might have been accurate for pre-exile Jobs, but y'all forget that the dude spent an entire decade being considered one of the greatest losers in all of tech. He dropped the ball with Apple, got kicked out of the company, and Apple then lost the "PC wars" so badly that when Michael Dell was asked (around the time Jobs was returning to Apple) what he would do in Jobs' position, he said "I would just dissolve the company, sell all the assets, then pay the proceeds to the shareholders".

There was this PBS documentary from 1995 called Triumph of the Nerds, which went into a lot of detail about the rise of the personal computer and how Microsoft had beaten Apple. They interviewed Jobs for it (that interview later got released after his death as Steve Jobs: The Lost Interview), and the most notable thing about it is that Jobs is practically incandescent with rage. One quote I still remember: "The only problem with Microsoft is that they have no taste. They don't bring a lot of innovation. They don't push culture into their products. They make really third rate products that have no spirit in them." (Sadly the trailer only includes the first part of that quote.)

If you want to delve into psychology, I'd be more inclined to see that rage as the motivator behind everything Jobs did post-return. Dude was the laughing stock of Silicon Valley, the prime example of what not to do as a founder. So every success that Apple had after he got back was another chance for him to get revenge.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I just want nerds points for seeing the Perseus parallel. I’m not married to anything I propose.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I still can’t get over that Steve Jobs legendarily stank.

the depths of how lovely of a dad are wildly ghoulish but on top of that the dude didn’t shower. Garbage smelling garbage father.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
This is one of the first people they have covered where I knew most of these stories and the history behind the founding of Apple. I was kinda of surprised, I was under the opinion that more people, especially those that work in tech, were aware of this history and many of anecdotes about his rear end in a top hat behavior. Then I thought some more about it and realized most people didn't rewatch Pirates of Silicon Valley every two years for a decade, and not everyone read every old Phrack newsletter just for the historical context in them. I know less about the NeXT debacle than the founding of Apple so looking forward to them covering it in later parts.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I did not know about the funk.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Okay, between this Steve Jobs series and the episode of Better Offline that they dropped on the Behind the Bastards feed, I'm kinda over Ed Zitron. He's giving intense "early Jimquisition episode" energy. Just wallowing in one-note anger that has a kind of sugar-rush joy when you first encounter it, but gets tiresome the longer it goes on.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I couldn't finish the metaverse episode of Better Offline. I don't doubt that it must have been frustrating as a journalist to hear people acting like the metaverse was a cool new thing and not just a video game, but talking about it like he was the sole voice of reason rubbed me the wrong way. It's like I spent ages laffin' with my friends and reading articles about the emperor's sad dong only to listen to a podcast with a guy saying FINALLY, AFTER YEARS OF YELLING INTO THE VOID THAT THE EMPEROR IS NUDE, I AND I ALONE HAVE BEEN VALIDATED. But maybe I'm not the target audience, and the target is instead people who didn't already know all that stuff.

I'm hoping episodes with guests will have less of that vibe and that he'll generally improve in not being... like that.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

LanceHunter posted:

Okay, between this Steve Jobs series and the episode of Better Offline that they dropped on the Behind the Bastards feed, I'm kinda over Ed Zitron. He's giving intense "early Jimquisition episode" energy. Just wallowing in one-note anger that has a kind of sugar-rush joy when you first encounter it, but gets tiresome the longer it goes on.

I haven’t tried to put my thoughts together on this much yet but yeah, between the apple vision episode was just rambling about tech stuff, the rot economy episode that felt more like an article he wanted to get more attention on, and the jobs series, it’s just not clicking for me

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rotinaj posted:

I haven’t tried to put my thoughts together on this much yet but yeah, between the apple vision episode was just rambling about tech stuff, the rot economy episode that felt more like an article he wanted to get more attention on, and the jobs series, it’s just not clicking for me

I’ve honestly cooled a lot on BtB over the last year or so. There’s still some good episodes but unless it’s someone I really want to hear about or a cult episode I’m like “eh, maybe if I absolutely run out of anything else to listen to”. Oh, and Matt Lieb episodes. But a lot of episodes feel either aimless or like the kind of thing you’re describing here.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I honestly wonder if everyone at CZM is just burned out. There seems to be this atmosphere of going through the motions to make a living while they build out their homestead to ride out the apocalypse.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AceOfFlames posted:

I honestly wonder if everyone at CZM is just burned out. There seems to be this atmosphere of going through the motions to make a living while they build out their homestead to ride out the apocalypse.

I think the release schedule for ICHH is too much, especially for a show where the research seems to be “doomscroll but like, as a job instead of as a mental version of cutting”. And BtB going to Zoom means they use a smaller bench so they’re also getting called in to guest on more episodes since they can.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think the release schedule for ICHH is too much, especially for a show where the research seems to be “doomscroll but like, as a job instead of as a mental version of cutting”. And BtB going to Zoom means they use a smaller bench so they’re also getting called in to guest on more episodes since they can.

I have not listened to any it could happen here since they went daily and I would love it if it would stop being auto-downloaded into the behind the bastards feed on weekends, I do not want to listen to it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rotinaj posted:

I have not listened to any it could happen here since they went daily and I would love it if it would stop being auto-downloaded into the behind the bastards feed on weekends, I do not want to listen to it

:same:, I’ve put it on once or twice and it is super not for me. It’s very poorly put together and the hosts are mostly people where I will straight up skip an episode of BtB if they’re on it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

rotinaj posted:

I unsubscribed because of this. I don't want to listen to it, stop trying to force it on me. I just check in occasionally to see if there was a topic on BtB that interests me.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The subreddit frequently has people complaining about this. I wonder what the net impact is for ICHH listenership.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 16, 2024

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I can’t think of any other podcast that puts a different show into its feed every single week like that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I follow one sports podcast that is part of a network, and they very frequently put certain episodes from a separate podcast (in the same network) in the main feed to promote that show.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have no desire to blackpill from listening to ICHH and really hate that it's in the main feed. I still enjoy BtB more than I don't overall, though.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I listen to ICHH semi-regularly, but it's very topic and host dependent. Panels are good (especially if Robert is there), Gare is good, James and Shareen are fine, but Mia desperately needs someone to bounce off of and is much better reacting than hosting, and Andrew's just way too quiet for me to listen to

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

I follow one sports podcast that is part of a network, and they very frequently put certain episodes from a separate podcast (in the same network) in the main feed to promote that show.

Do they put literally every episode from that same show into their main feed?

Shinji2015 posted:

I listen to ICHH semi-regularly, but it's very topic and host dependent. Panels are good (especially if Robert is there), Gare is good, James and Shareen are fine, but Mia desperately needs someone to bounce off of and is much better reacting than hosting, and Andrew's just way too quiet for me to listen to

Whenever Mia has hosted BtB it’s been awful. She’s mentioned on Twitter that she’s doing a script for a Mao episode and if they burn Mao with her hosting that would just be loving insane.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh yeah I think Mia is one of the weaker ones, although she is not on very much.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Tbh I can't stand anything CZM does other than BtB. Most of the staff run the gamut from "well meaning but annoying" to "you stupid mother fucker".

There's one person who has been a guest several times who always makes a point to talk about how they live "off the grid" and they're "so punk" or whatever, and I just want to shake them and yell "dumbass you're not off the grid, you just live in squalor! You're recording an internet podcast and you use public transportation!"

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh yeah I think Mia is one of the weaker ones, although she is not on very much.

idk, it feels like she's on all the time whenever I'm looking at an episode because of the topic, and if she's flying solo or doing an interview, I just don't bother.

I genuinely wish I liked listening to Mia or Andrew more, because they tend to cover topics I'm generally not well versed in, and they just can't keep my interest. I only managed to listened to the recent Temu episodes Mia was hosting because Garrison was there with her and they work well together

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Has anyone introduced Robert to Lancer for his sci-fi tabletop game needs yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shinji2015 posted:

idk, it feels like she's on all the time whenever I'm looking at an episode because of the topic, and if she's flying solo or doing an interview, I just don't bother.

I genuinely wish I liked listening to Mia or Andrew more, because they tend to cover topics I'm generally not well versed in, and they just can't keep my interest. I only managed to listened to the recent Temu episodes Mia was hosting because Garrison was there with her and they work well together

I feel like most of them should just do long form articles because they are incredibly bad at staying on track/being clear when they’re speaking. Which is just a little important for a podcast.

E:also I don’t know how reliable they are for stuff that you’re not well versed in because every time I’ve tried to listen to a CZM thing about something I’m familiar with they get so much wrong. I don’t think I would trust their research.

Annath posted:

There's one person who has been a guest several times who always makes a point to talk about how they live "off the grid" and they're "so punk" or whatever, and I just want to shake them and yell "dumbass you're not off the grid, you just live in squalor! You're recording an internet podcast and you use public transportation!"

Is it Margaret Killjoy? I like her a lot of the time but whenever anarchism or stuff like that comes up it’s like “please shut up. Stop talking. This is so clearly a fantasy you have in your head”. She mentioned something in the Illuminati episodes about rural areas being so full of anarchists and said something like “oh yeah in half the diners if you’re wearing an anarchy symbol hat you’ll end up with a free meal” that made me roll my eyes. I’m from the middle of nowhere and that just absolutely did not track for me.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 17, 2024