Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is it Margaret Killjoy? I like her a lot of the time but whenever anarchism or stuff like that comes up it’s like “please shut up. Stop talking. This is so clearly a fantasy you have in your head”. She mentioned something in the Illuminati episodes about rural areas being so full of anarchists and said something like “oh yeah in half the diners if you’re wearing an anarchy symbol hat you’ll end up with a free meal” that made me roll my eyes. I’m from the middle of nowhere and that just absolutely did not track for me.

Yeah, that's it.

Like, if you're going to a loving diner you're not some off the grid survivalist anarchist - you're driving on public roads, using utilities services, and no way in hell you built your own phone and computer parts. Its such virtue signalling "better than thou" BS.

Also, the lifestyle she describes just sounds... gross. Like, actually "this makes me want to bathe" gross.

I dunno. My tolerance for that kind of almost immature fantasy crap has gotten much lower over the years. Robert is guilty of a lot of the same stuff, just to a much lesser degree. Talking up his protest actions and mutual aid crap like its actually meaningful. None of that does anything but make the people doing it feel good about themselves and actively undermines actual social progress. Nobody's gonna want to make the actual necessary changes to society if they think crusty punks are what actual progress looks like.

Anyway rant over, Steve Jobs sucked his whole life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone read Lisa Brennan-Jobs’ Small Fry? I’m thinking about picking it up.

I did read a review from the New Yorker and, uh

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/small-fry-reviewed-lisa-brennan-jobss-mesmerizing-discomfiting-memoir posted:

By the time Lisa is in middle school, Chrisann and Lisa’s fights grow so intense that Lisa moves in with her father and his new wife. Laurene, Brennan-Jobs writes, likes to call people “losers,” forming an L shape with her thumb and index finger. Laurene and Steve sometimes make out in front of Lisa, “moaning theatrically, as if for an audience.” When Lisa cries during a family therapy appointment, Laurene is impassive, saying, “We’re just cold people.”

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

E:also I don’t know how reliable they are for stuff that you’re not well versed in because every time I’ve tried to listen to a CZM thing about something I’m familiar with they get so much wrong. I don’t think I would trust their research.
This is true of so many podcasts, tbh.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
It rarely comes up, but a lot of stuff they mention about healthcare is either wrong, or the information is correct but they draw inappropriate conclusions because they don't have the context to understand what they've read.

I do like that Robert does a lot of reading of books by people more well-versed in the subject though. Usually the inaccuracies are things they bring up anecdotally.

But at the end of the day, BtB is entertainment, not education, and should be treated as such.

Even a podcast as massively researched as Dan Carlin's Hardcore History should still be used as an introduction to a subject, a good jumping off point for those interested in learning more.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

teen witch posted:

Has anyone read Lisa Brennan-Jobs’ Small Fry? I’m thinking about picking it up.

I did read a review from the New Yorker and, uh
Jesus

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I've managed to filter ICHH out of my feed so it no longer shows up at all, but until I realised that was an option in the app it was immensely frustrating.

As for the rest of the show, I'll listen if it promises to be entertainingly bad, part of which depends on the host, but if it's about Baby Eating McGee I'll skip. I don't need something that relentlessly grim in my life.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain_Person posted:

I've managed to filter ICHH out of my feed so it no longer shows up at all, but until I realised that was an option in the app it was immensely frustrating.

As for the rest of the show, I'll listen if it promises to be entertainingly bad, part of which depends on the host, but if it's about Baby Eating McGee I'll skip. I don't need something that relentlessly grim in my life.

Look, baby eating McGee might be a boring listen, but you may have a different feeling about Big Fat Ugly Bug Face Baby Eating O’Brien

https://youtu.be/vwoc7HgN6YE

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

rotinaj posted:

Look, baby eating McGee might be a boring listen, but you may have a different feeling about Big Fat Ugly Bug Face Baby Eating O’Brien

https://youtu.be/vwoc7HgN6YE

That's no lie my favorite movie ever.

"Professional Pirate" is amazing, and Long John Silver is Tim Curry's best role.

The reason Michael Caine and Tim Curry are so good in their respective Muppet movies is that Michael Caine treats the Muppets as fellow actors, and Tim Curry treats himself as a fellow Muppet.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Ok but Muppet Christmas Carol has the best line on this miserable planet. “Tiny Tim, who did *not* die” is something I say to myself after I do the most mildly arduous task.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Don't make me choose between Muppet movies, thread

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Froghammer posted:

Don't make me choose between Muppet movies, thread

This is the best Muppets movie and you know it, deep in your heart...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Annath posted:

This is the best Muppets movie and you know it, deep in your heart...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q

I am not gonna argue which is the best, I only wish to present this delightful song

https://youtu.be/p_bggBrUbCo

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

rotinaj posted:

I am not gonna argue which is the best, I only wish to present this delightful song

https://youtu.be/p_bggBrUbCo

Its definitely one of the all-time greats.

BTB should do a 2-part not-bastard episode on Mr. Rogers and Jim Henson.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
ICHH is interesting. They absolutely called the anti trans movement of the past few years well before it took off, but they’ve also called every other terrible thing that didn’t happen, and they tend to grab a nazi of the week and spotlight awful people that are just shithead blips in a long line of shitheads. I do wish they would do less. And perhaps take a hard look at who can carry a podcast and who should maybe be kept away from the mic. Not everyone is a great storyteller.

Behind the Bastards is still pretty solid though. It’s often surprising and it’s rare that a topic doesn’t have some amazingly memorable moments.

The tech one on the other hand is dire. Angry tech guy who talks for too long went out of style twenty years ago.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

And perhaps take a hard look at who can carry a podcast and who should maybe be kept away from the mic. Not everyone is a great storyteller.

I really and truly thought that the days of people who have no idea how to speak in a manner pleasing to the ear being hosts of podcasts were left behind in the 2010s

I actually should try to slow down the podcast anytime garrison is speaking, to see if that makes them more tolerable

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
When I first started listening to the podcast I put the Action Park episode on because I love stories about that place. I legit did not realize it was a different host for a minute, I thought I had accidentally set it to 1.5x speed while messing with my car stereo.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Ed needs someone else to bounce off of. He was great on Chapo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I listened to last week's episode about the Elon foundation and that is mostly him interviewing David Fahrenthold so it was fine

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
The point that put me off the new tech show was Ed going "Really?! Reaaaally!? So you're telling me that [objectionable but not uncommon thing here]? Really!? C'mon."

Ben Shapiro levels of high school debater who never grew rhetorically.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
I like Ed (he is my friend online) but he definitely needs a guest or co-host. Alone it's just too much like being lectured.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

killhamster posted:

I like Ed (he is my friend online) but he definitely needs a guest or co-host. Alone it's just too much like being lectured.

The Dollop actually started as just Dave reading a script. It was like 2 episodes before he realized he needed Gareth.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

BtB has gone downhill and it’s a huge bummer. used to be appointment listening for me. also drives me mad that other CZM pods are pushed into the feed for it.

I’ve scooted over to listening to the Swindled podcast. extremely grim and in-depth, only one host and he uses a fair amount of audio from news and interviews.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

teen witch posted:

Ok but Muppet Christmas Carol has the best line on this miserable planet. “Tiny Tim, who did *not* die” is something I say to myself after I do the most mildly arduous task.

that's actually in the book, emphasis and all

quote:

Scrooge was better than his word. He did it all, and infinitely more; and to Tiny Tim, who did not die, he was a second father. He became as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man, as the good old city knew, or any other good old city, town, or borough, in the good old world.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Is it Margaret Killjoy? I like her a lot of the time but whenever anarchism or stuff like that comes up it’s like “please shut up. Stop talking. This is so clearly a fantasy you have in your head”. She mentioned something in the Illuminati episodes about rural areas being so full of anarchists and said something like “oh yeah in half the diners if you’re wearing an anarchy symbol hat you’ll end up with a free meal” that made me roll my eyes. I’m from the middle of nowhere and that just absolutely did not track for me.

I tried to listen to Margaret's Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff and chose the episode about snipers Lyudmila Pavlichenko and Simo Häyhä, but in giving background info to Häyhä, she gave her version of Finnish Civil War and it was not just full of factual mistakes, it was downright completely loving unhinged. And what's weird is that she actually lived here for several years. I stopped there, and haven't tried again.

It didn't help that her style of presenting didn't work for me at all.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Warden posted:

I tried to listen to Margaret's Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff and chose the episode about snipers Lyudmila Pavlichenko and Simo Häyhä, but in giving background info to Häyhä, she gave her version of Finnish Civil War and it was not just full of factual mistakes, it was downright completely loving unhinged. And what's weird is that she actually lived here for several years. I stopped there, and haven't tried again.

Unhinged is a pretty good adjective for Margaret overall tbh.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Warden posted:

Not having listened to the episode and knowing little about the war in question, would you mind going into a little detail about what was so weird and wrong about her version of the history?

This is pretty much just curiosity asking so if you can't be assed that's no problem at all.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Not having listened to the episode and knowing little about the war in question, would you mind going into a little detail about what was so weird and wrong about her version of the history?

This is pretty much just curiosity asking so if you can't be assed that's no problem at all.

Her version: bunch of right-wing bootlickers attempt to sell a newly independent country to Germany, so plucky social democrats who want a free republic are forced to fight a civil war that they heroically lose, and suffer horrible terror as leftists martyrs.

Reality: communists seize the leadership of Social Democrat Party, which leads to a Russian Bolshevik-backed coup/revolt, which forces the government to flee and ask Imperial Germany for aid. Germany agrees, because Russia is dithering at Brest-Litovsk, and thus join the war with the aim of taking Finland to German sphere of influence in order to put more pressure on the Bolsheviks to sign the treaty. Atrocities on both sides, the winners throw the losers into horrid prison camps which cause mass death.

Edit. Here's an effort post about the topic I made a few years ago: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461&userid=225843#post511163318

Note that I never finished my series of posts, so I didn't cover the Terror in any depth.

Warden fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 22, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Thanks!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I do have to say that, while the Dennis the Menace guy is clearly a minor figure to be the subject of a BtB series, any time they get Randy Milholland on as a guest to talk about cartooning and the comic industry it is always a good, informative time. Really enjoyed these episodes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

LanceHunter posted:

I do have to say that, while the Dennis the Menace guy is clearly a minor figure to be the subject of a BtB series, any time they get Randy Milholland on as a guest to talk about cartooning and the comic industry it is always a good, informative time. Really enjoyed these episodes.

It blows my mind that of the webcomics I followed 20 years ago, something positive has endured and the guy behind it has thrived

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I kind of prefer the "small stakes" bastards like this, and like when they cover Thomas Kinkaid or Lisa Frank on The Dollop. Yes, they are evil exploitative people, but its not like engineering a genocide that we get a lot of the time. Even the Dilbert one had this air of absurdity the whole time because every step of the way you are just like "this is the guy behind loving Dilbert..."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I also enjoy the small ones like Dilbert guy.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Loved how Randy seeded potential eps on Al Capp and Harold Gray (the creator of Little Orphan Annie). The latter in particular would be fascinating, especially his obsessive burning hatred of FDR.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The small stakes bastards are fun just because you generally come out going "the gently caress was his problem" instead of just being depressed.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Lol, I like when contemporary bastards get namedropped like this

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1772447026753495380?t=_QHJBq3DnV73DQ5DHPB_Bg&s=19

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
In the latest episode, they discuss why a doctor would get rid of part of his daughter's medical records. No one seemed to be able to provide an explanation. As someone that works in health care related tech, thats easy to answer-
practically every single EMR (electronic medical records) system has interoperability nowadays. That means if you go to a clinic in majestic Bumfuck Wyoming and they say you have injuries from a spacecraft collision (this is a real diagnosis code btw) and your primary care provider later requests records from that clinic in bumfuck Wyoming that decided your sprained ankle was from a spacecraft collision then that is now a part of your main medical records. This kind of thing can be a royal pain in the rear end to get rid of from the originating clinic, and once its in your digital record it can be used to influence further clinical decisions and diagnoses down the road.
So, that daughter's fraudulent Alzheimer's diagnosis could make things like getting a referral to a therapist or other mental health related care a lot tougher and more expensive than it needs to be.

EDIT: also, they don't even have to request it for it to be accessible in your records. If an incorrect diagnosis makes it to the clearinghouse/interchange for the EMR system then you're kinda screwed

Ardemia fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 26, 2024

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I'm putting the over-under at 2.5 for "number of BtB listeners who try to get a fake NPI number after listening to this week's episodes".

Place your bets, folks.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Friend of the show SBF got 25 years today. Surprised it wasn't longer, because few things get your poo poo ruined like messing with rich people's money.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Zugzwang posted:

Friend of the show SBF got 25 years today. Surprised it wasn't longer, because few things get your poo poo ruined like messing with rich people's money.

I think I read the prosecution asked for like 80 years lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
just based on what the judge herself said I'm surprised she didn't go for longer