Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Petit Gregory posted:

The big rub from Cena's run as US Champ being wasted on ADR and his godawful Meximerica gimmick.

I just have to say, in general Vince's desire to appeal to the worst parts of American patriotism is just so cringeworthy to me. No one out there he won't slap a proud American gimmick on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
WWEs inability/overt sabotaging of a top babyface post-Cena is easily my winner here. Its kind of insane how they have hosed it all up

From unwillingness to go with a guy when the crowd has chosen them and cooling them off - Bryan, Punk, Ambrose

To giving them the very effective big moment, then wasting it or not having the creative follow through to keep the character hot - Becky, Nakamura

Or, the people they genuinely got behind long-term at the right time and just hosed it up with bad promos and dumb creative - Roman, Seth, Charlotte

Or, reluctantly giving them the big moment and having no interest in keeping them on top long term - Bryan, Kofi, Ziggler

Or, cant miss people from NXT who just got no sustained, compelling creative - Zayn, Sasha, Bayley, Finn, Owens, Ricochet, Aliester, etc

The dumbest offense is probably the real-life scenarios that happened that they couldnt capitalize on - Bryan and Romans boring creative after their returns and now they are both just guys.

The only three people booked well on top all the time this decade were Rock, Ronda and Bill Goldberg - all part timers. Brock would also be on this list if his losses actually were used to get people over.

Also of note - the WWE creative process is so bad, that its one of the core reasons AEW is in business. If Cody, PAC, Moxley, Jericho hadnt been stifled by bad booking, would AEW even exist?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

quote:

To giving them the very effective big moment, then wasting it or not having the creative follow through to keep the character hot - Becky, Nakamura

Don't forget Cesaro!

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Procrastinator posted:

What do yall think was the biggest disappointment/waste of a good angle was this decade? Daniel Bryan's return is for sure on that list (B I G C A S S). Cena squishing out the nexus was already mentioned. Anything else notable?

sting coming to the wwe

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Jinder Mahal's entire WWE Championship run
Cena literally burying The Nexus
Roman Reigns winning the Rumble That Daniel Bryan Should Have Won
Baron Corbin's existence
Dolph Ziggler's existence
Seth Rollins' existence
The stupid loving cuck storyline
Dean Ambrose with a gasmask

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 29, 2019

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The thing about this decade that will always Piss me off the most is how WWE handled Cesaro after Mania 30. The turn on swagger followed by the way he won the battle royal had him so loving over and they just took a heaping poo poo all over him.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

The thing about this decade that will always Piss me off the most is how WWE handled Cesaro after Mania 30. The turn on swagger followed by the way he won the battle royal had him so loving over and they just took a heaping poo poo all over him.

Especially since Punk had just left and Bryan had just gotten long term injured. They needed a guy that the hardcore fans could get behind with those two gone and Cesaro was the perfect candidate

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Duke Pukem posted:

sting coming to the wwe

GOD

IT WAS SO EASY

IT WAS DONE WELL RIGHT UP UNTIL THE END OF HIS WRESTLEMANIA MATCH

THEY COULD HAVE HAD HIM BEAT HHH AND RETIRE RIGHT THERE AS A LEGEND BUT NO

GOTTA FEED HUNTER'S EGO

:argh:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Lid posted:

Linda mcMahon's senate run 2012

Vote me AND Obama

and 2010

Duke Pukem posted:

sting coming to the wwe

go look up the wm thread where people wouldnt believe me that this was a further wcw burial

have they ever watched wwe ever

also im thoroughly convinced punk had the longest transitional title reign

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

mkay0 posted:

From unwillingness to go with a guy when the crowd has chosen them and cooling them off - Bryan, Punk, Ambrose

Or, the people they genuinely got behind long-term at the right time and just hosed it up with bad promos and dumb creative - Roman, Seth, Charlotte

Mix these two and you get Braun Strowman.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

Linda mcMahon's senate run 2012

I'd have said Linda's Senate run is one of the funnier things of the decade because of the great photo of Vince with a tear down his eye, thinking about all that money he wasted for no return.

Except that now she's in Trump's government which ruins much amusement from that.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Dell_Zincht posted:

Roman Reigns winning the Rumble That Daniel Bryan Should Have Won

Batista Winning The Other Rumble That Daniel Bryan Should Have Won

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nthing Global Force Wrestling, the failed Jeff Jarrett promotion, as Worst Minor Promotion. It managed to be even more low-rent than Impact, had all sorts of scummy people, and then out of nowhere turned into a gold investment scam.

Also the part where Jeff Jarrett was trying to take credit for... Wrestle Kingdom? What? Well, at least it gave us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZp_Cy177a0

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Nexus was the first sign that WWE in general has no idea why people cheer for things and only gets lucky through the sheer talent of their roster.

They debut and it's the most people have talked about wrestling in a long time. They looked like killers and people got behind the idea of them being rookies held down by The Man. They had a cool edge to them and felt like a breath of fresh air.

So they proceed to lose every important match, begin infighting, and ultimately amount to nothing in the big picture. They took 7 guys who looked poised to be solid mid-carders to main eventers for the WWE and ended up running off everybody except for Daniel Bryan (who WWE to this day refuses to see as the talent he really is) and Heath Slater.

This exact cycle of "You like this thing? How about if we tweak everything about it, make it less important, and refuse to actually pull the trigger?" was repeated with basically every single thing that caught fire. CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose - all great talents that WWE refused to let be themselves. Hell, Daniel Bryan *Still* has his legs cut out from under him to this day, his eco-warrior stuff was amazing and just randomly stopped.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Dont forget they fired Daniel Bryan after that debut

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

Dont forget they fired Daniel Bryan after that debut

That ended up being good though. Because it ended up with Bryan getting to go back to the indies and have some bangers before he left for good. Eddie Kingston in CHIKARA, Johnny Gargano in AIW, he did a couple of shows in WXW including a match with Tommy End, Evolve with Bobby Fish, DGUSA with YAMATO, he had an NWA World Heavyweight Championship challenge, then he was back at Summerslam but kept doing indie shows.

After his return you had him go to HWA to face Jon Moxley, he put over Drake Younger for IPW, he got to wrestle Savio Vega in Puerto Rico, there was another Evolve date against Munenori Sawa, DGUSA double header where he faced YAMATO again & Moxley. That poo poo was fun and far better than anything he'd have done as part of Nexus over the summer.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Good for him yes

Good for us yes

Terrible for WWE.

It was the start of audience hijackings (beyond WHAT chants). It can be directly linked into not so much the current product but the apathy towards product as that one incident lead the audience down a path of knowing we arent merely spectators but can know and loudly state we know bullshit.

You can say it started years earlier with the Great American Bash but we're a decade later and this is still true in WWE and why the relationship between audirnce and producer is irrevecobly broken.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

TheKingslayer posted:

I just have to say, in general Vince's desire to appeal to the worst parts of American patriotism is just so cringeworthy to me. No one out there he won't slap a proud American gimmick on.

If there's one thing that Vince knows, it's that Americans absolutely love oinking out the letters "USA!" like the hogs that they are

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Vandar posted:

GOD

IT WAS SO EASY

IT WAS DONE WELL RIGHT UP UNTIL THE END OF HIS WRESTLEMANIA MATCH

THEY COULD HAVE HAD HIM BEAT HHH AND RETIRE RIGHT THERE AS A LEGEND BUT NO

GOTTA FEED HUNTER'S EGO

:argh:

Sting was my partner's favorite wrestler growing up, and we went to the Wrestlemania where he had his debut match, and as the entire match was spent on run-ins she just got steadily more agitated and when he lost she stared at me in silence for about forty-five seconds.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

A lot WWE's creative failures can be attributed to a singular philosophy - WWE does not like being challenged.

Nexus "the status quo has grown stagnant and nothing new will ever be permitted to grow"
WWE: JOHN CENA WINS x100

CM Punk "The status quo has grown stagnant and dull and the fans are ready for something new"
WWE: HHH VS KEVIN NASH! JOHN CENA WINS x100! THE STATUS QUO IS THE loving BEST!

Daniel Bryan: "WWE is unprepared to accept what the fans want and support somebody who doesn't fit their mold of a top guy"
WWE: We acknowledge your issues IRT our preferences and biases concerning certain performer archetypes and the balance between fan feedback and our own plans, we simply don't care. DANIEL BRYAN LOSES x100! BATISTA WINS RR BEFORE ANYBODY GAVE A poo poo ABOUT GOG! THE AUTHORITY IS THE BEST!

STING VS H... (Vince starts frothing at the mouth screaming WCW! like the chocolate dude from the Spongebob meme. Begins destroying his office and rage-eating his feces. HHH sees this unfolding but doesn't intervene because he smells another big Wrestlemania moment for him and really, isn't that all that really matters? Vince calms down and starts sobbing about how mean they were to him. HHH pats him on the back and starts suggesting ideas for his entrance while trying to avoid Vince's literal poop breath).

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I'll take the Jamal Khashoggi memorial shows as basically the final nail in the coffin in any interest I have in WWE beyond NXT. Not just for them being beyond disgusting, but how these blood money shows have basically screwed the chance of anyone getting any chance at a sustained push because hey, now WWE pushes people who everyone thought should have retired in 2010 every six or so months.

Also, WWE on Twitter. Basically just all of it at this point. Except for like, the New Day and people who'd clearly rather be anywhere else.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 29, 2019

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

If there's one thing that Vince knows, it's that Americans absolutely love oinking out the letters "USA!" like the hogs that they are

This is one of the reasons I hate Jim Duggan and his idiot face. He sucked complete poo poo but carrying a flag kept him any kind of relevant way past his expiration date.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
The decade started off hot with Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff joining TNA. An omen of things to come.

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Roman Reigns hate got old fast but that Magic Beans promo is still so cringy, so boring, so stupid. Killed any chance he still had of winning his haters over.

Can I get a transcript of this so I don't have to watch a Roman Reigns On Top promo?

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld

Benne posted:

Shoutout to Bray Wyatt for having at least four legitimate contenders for Worst Match of the Decade (the cage match with Cena and the spooky kid, bugs in a ring, House of Horrors, the HIAC clusterfuck with Rollins) and that barely scratches the surface of how much he poo poo the bed in big spots.

He's my pick for worst wrestler and it's not particularly close in my book.

He also has an inferno match with Kane that is real bad iirc

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Scruffy the janitor posted:

He also has an inferno match with Kane that is real bad iirc

You mean a ~~Ring of Fire match~~ which had Harper and Rowan put out the fire before the finish.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Crown Jewel is the worst thing related to wrestling in the 2010s and probably ever

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Until the next KSA show when the propaganda engine goes to 150% efficiency to make up for the shows that didn't have any.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FIEND BELT

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 30, 2019

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

CarlCX posted:

Sting was my partner's favorite wrestler growing up, and we went to the Wrestlemania where he had his debut match, and as the entire match was spent on run-ins she just got steadily more agitated and when he lost she stared at me in silence for about forty-five seconds.

Honestly, I was fine with the run-ins. It was a nostalgia match between two guys from the 90s representing two different companies. Turning it into an NWO vs. DX spectacle was fine.

But there was no loving reason why he should have lost! Basic loving booking and good business sense would have told you to let Sting win! But noooo, we have to get Vince's ego and HHH's ego involved and ARGH.

I hate it so much, I really do.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Wrong thread

If there's anything good about WWE in the last few years it's the novelty belts (WEED BELT, FIEND BELT, that hilarious Undertaker belt)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

It has to be the blood money stuff. It poisoned the well for me to the point of it wwe was the only wrestling left in the world I would just stop watching wrestling

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Spikegal posted:

It has to be the blood money stuff. It poisoned the well for me to the point of it wwe was the only wrestling left in the world I would just stop watching wrestling

Yeah. For most people I know (plus myself) who've just stopped watching WWE altogether the blood money poo poo was the final straw.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

extradite THIS! posted:

Wrong thread

If there's anything good about WWE in the last few years it's the novelty belts (WEED BELT, FIEND BELT, that hilarious Undertaker belt)

Weed Belt owned

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
in kayfabe who is approving these belt redesigns?

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Seams posted:

in kayfabe who is approving these belt redesigns?

"The Authority" (shane produces the funhouse after being fired)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

satan

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

hell yeah dude

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

forkboy84 posted:

I'd have said Linda's Senate run is one of the funnier things of the decade because of the great photo of Vince with a tear down his eye, thinking about all that money he wasted for no return.

Except that now she's in Trump's government which ruins much amusement from that.

She's not even anymore, she quit the Small Business Administration when it was clear that the McMahons were funneling money to the Trump Foundation as its sole major outside donor

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Max Coveri posted:

The decade started off hot with Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff joining TNA. An omen of things to come.
Some sort of award or honorable mention should go to Hogan/Bischoff's TNA run. Featuring Bubba the Love Sponge, middle-aged Val Venis, Scott Hall getting nailed for DUI while holding the tag belts (and being listed as "unemployed" on his arrest record), Joker Sting, Hogan leveling up Abyss with his WWE HoF ring, wasted Jeff Hardy vs. Sting, Aces and Eights, Brooke Hogan's wedding and run as Knockouts Commissioner, and much, much more. The image of Dixie holding Hogan's leg and the circumstances surrounding it will never not be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
but Eric SOLD for the BIRD