Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

oh but seriously I posted:

do stardom still sell glamour books featuring underage girls to their mostly older male fans because no way am i googling that poo poo?

I believe Bushiroad is putting a stop to that particular practice.

Perhaps it doesn't stack up with some of the other shows mentioned here (the Saudi shows come to mind), but WrestleMania 32 was a dire, dire show. Overly long and plodding, with most of the fan favorites losing their matches. Forget about the main, where HHH tried to pull out one of his "epics" in the futile effort to get Roman Reigns over with the crowd, or the Lesnar/Ambrose street fight where Brock gave absolutely nothing to Dean. No, the real stinker of the night was the Shane McMahon/Undertaker Hell in a Cell match, which went on for an ungodly 30 minutes, half of which I'm pretty sure was spent by Shane trying to figure out whether to jump off of the cage or not. I somehow got suckered into hosting a watch-along party for this at the very last minute and, even if WWE had been an upstanding, moral company from that point forward, single handedly ensured I would never watch a second of WWE programming again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Killed By Death posted:

Voodoo Kin Mafia were faces, right?
E: Although, I'm fairly certain VKM was finished by 2009? So not eligible for the thread, sadly.

Aw poo poo. I thought they just barely cleared the mark. Still gross tho.

Fe Vinum
Dec 17, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

You mentioning this reminded me of the grossest thing I saw this decade in wrestling, the Stardom match between Act Yasukawa & Yoshiko. Well, I say match, it was a mauling and not in a remotely fun way. Deeply unpleasant.

Why did this go on past the first minute?!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fe Vinum posted:

Why did this go on past the first minute?!

Total failure all round. Referee should have called it. People backstage didn't do anything because they thought it was someone elses responsibility. Plus I bet that lovely old school pro-wrestling "show must go on" mentality came into it too.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

NuclearPotato posted:

I believe Bushiroad is putting a stop to that particular practice.

Perhaps it doesn't stack up with some of the other shows mentioned here (the Saudi shows come to mind), but WrestleMania 32 was a dire, dire show. Overly long and plodding, with most of the fan favorites losing their matches. Forget about the main, where HHH tried to pull out one of his "epics" in the futile effort to get Roman Reigns over with the crowd, or the Lesnar/Ambrose street fight where Brock gave absolutely nothing to Dean. No, the real stinker of the night was the Shane McMahon/Undertaker Hell in a Cell match, which went on for an ungodly 30 minutes, half of which I'm pretty sure was spent by Shane trying to figure out whether to jump off of the cage or not. I somehow got suckered into hosting a watch-along party for this at the very last minute and, even if WWE had been an upstanding, moral company from that point forward, single handedly ensured I would never watch a second of WWE programming again.

the reason people aren't quite as down on it is because the ladder match was extremely good and the Becky/Charlotte/sasha match was fairly good.

But I sure remember the tag team champions losing a non title tag match so that the old dudes could come out and get themselves over, though. Also iirc the preshow us title match was where ryback saved kalisto's life.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

When Ryback vs Kalisto (a pairing that oddly seemed to really work) was a show highlight...yeah, WM 32 was horrid. And that write-up doesn't even mention the 30 torturous minutes spent on The Rock's segment/burying the Wyatts.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 10, 2019

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Her Dryer posted:

The 2015 rumble is still a masterclass in how to piss off a crowd. D-Bry getting eliminated in a completely unspectacular, anticlimatic way barely halfway through. All the crowd favourites getting dumped one at a time by Big Show and Kane. The extremely contrived and stupid and yet predictable elimination of those two by Reigns. The exact placement of Reigns in the rumble that just screamed "I am winning." Rusev popping up at the end to cheers and then getting speared immediately. And then the Rock rushing down in the most insultingly transparent attempt to get us all to cheer Roman. Easily the most spiteful gently caress you to a paying audience I've seen from WWE this decade.

The best part of that Rumble was Goldust's entrance being timed to D-Bry's elimination, and the camera pulling out right as it happened so that you got SHATTERED DREAMS on screen right as Daniel was eliminated.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

When Ryback vs Kalisto (a pairing that oddly seemed to really work) was a show highlight...yeah, WM 32 was horrid. And that write-up doesn't even mention the 30 torturous minutes spent on The Rock's segment/burying the Wyatts.

The only reason I didn’t bring up the 30 minutes of Wyatt burial was because I had blocked the memory of it going 30 minutes out of my mind. loving hell. As for the ladder match and the woman’s three-way, two good matches don’t do nearly enough to save a show this long and dull. (And the woman’s match had Charlotte winning, which seemed like the least popular pick at the time, and just cemented the show’s theme of “all your favorites are going to lose”).

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Sami Zayn was in the two best matches of that Mania weekend, and yet his momentum fizzled out after Battleground because they chose not to split up KO and Sami in the draft. smdh

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

drat this is ba-

:eyepop:

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

road dogg did tell them to call somebody though

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Nikki Bella’s acting is probably my least favorite thing in the history of pro wrestling other than, like, actual crimes against humanity.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I never listened to the TNA Daivari theme and holy gently caress, I’m just amazed.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

My personal least favorite feud of the 2010s is Cesaro vs Jack Swagger vs Rob Van Dam from the period in 2014 where they took everything good from Mania 30 and ruined it. Cesaro had an amazing night where he turned face to a huge pop before winning a battle royal only to be immediately turned back heel to facilitate Paul Heyman being on TV to remind people of Lesnar beating the streak while Brock Lesnar hosed off until Summerslam.

However, they still had a Cesaro/Swagger feud, so they put a completely unrelated returning RVD in there because you can't have two heels feud, AND RVD went over both guys, so the only person who benefited was a guy who was already over and hadn't been a good worker since 2006.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

oh but seriously I posted:

do stardom still sell glamour books featuring underage girls to their mostly older male fans because no way am i googling that poo poo?

Wait, what the gently caress?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Taintrunner posted:

Okay but that loving owns, actually

The Claire Lynch storyline was incredibly dumb and super funny and enjoyable to watch.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

El Generico posted:

The Claire Lynch storyline was incredibly dumb and super funny and enjoyable to watch.

And then TNA fans found out she played Olive Oyl at Universal Studios and her website and harassed her off the company. :smith:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Karmine posted:

Nikki Bella’s acting is probably my least favorite thing in the history of pro wrestling other than, like, actual crimes against humanity.

i WISH you DIED in the WOMB!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yall are bringing up very good points and I'm not here to dispute how awful any of them are. I would just like to reminisce on a selection of what TNA did in just one year. God bless that taimapedia site.

Impact 1/4/10 posted:

An X-Division Asylum match opened the show; to win the match, one of the participants had to climb up the domed cage structure and through the hole on the top. The cage's blinding red color made it nearly impossible to see anything going on in the ring, and even if anyone could see anything, the incompetent cameramen missed every single spot. Homicide attempted to climb out of the cage, but when he failed, he dropped down to the ring and hit everyone with a baton, causing a cage match to end in a No Contest... Vince Russo later defended this match by rhetorically asking why a cage match can't end in a No Contest.

TNA showed Hogan's arrival via limousine on its way to the Impact Zone. The footage clearly showed the limo driving around Universal Resort. Hogan arrived and said "I've been in the back all day". That line was edited out of the repeat showing.

During Eric Bischoff's first promo with the company, he asked SoCal Val to bring him the script for the night. He ripped the script up and threw it into the crowd, then gave Val his version. Security went into the crowd during commercial and asked the fans to hand the ripped pages back (since Bischoff had ripped up a real script).

Throughout the night, TNA showed The Beautiful People playing strip poker with Sean Morley (formerly Val Venis) in an attempt to keep people from switching to Raw. Nobody cared.

Tenay said TNA would stick with the main event to the finish with absolutely no commercial breaks -- then followed up by transitioning into the next commercial break.

Rather than ending the night with the fantastic main event match between Kurt Angle and AJ Styles, TNA ended the show with a segment featuring Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Sean Waltman, and Mick Foley talking.

That was all from one episode.

Hey let's pull some more stuff!

"RVD is hit with a chair by a man in the first row wearing a Sting mask. The man took off his mask, revealing himself to be... Sting."

"TNA subjected the Knockouts to the Lock Box Challenge on an episode of Impact. Early in the night, the Knockouts fought for keys that would open boxes in which a Knockout could win one of four "prizes": an open contract for a match of their choosing, Tara's pet tarantula, the "right" to perform a forced striptease in the ring (or be fired), or the Knockouts Champinship. Angelina Love unlocked the box with the title and became champion as a result. Tara unlocked the box with her tarantula; she was forced to treat it like it was more important than the title. (Apparently Russo and his cohorts didn't learn from the infamous '49ers Match from WCW 2000 in which Booker T won the WCW World Heavyweight Championship out of a box.) Daffney unlocked the striptease, which meant she had to either strip or get pink-slipped. Although the striptease never fully happened (she was attacked by Lacey Von Erich midway through, who obliviously started stripping as a brawl erupted around her), she wasn't fired. Oh, and the whole "unlocking" segment closed the show."

"TNA hired obnoxious radio host/Howard Stern wannabe/(now-former) Hogan buttbuddy Bubba the Love Sponge after Hulk Hogan's TNA debut; a couple of months later, Bubba said "gently caress Haiti" on Twitter (in regards to the 2010 earthquake that devastated Haiti). Awesome Kong, who had been a driving force in raising funds for Haiti within the pro wrestling world, got into an altercation with Bubba. Several wrestlers who witnessed this altercation confirmed that Kong beat the living dogshit out of Bubba; these wrestlers, including Hulk Hogan, unanimously described the beating as one of the most brutal and one-sided locker room shoot fights they had seen in the past thirty years. For her actions, Kong was given a lifetime pass to Universal Studios and the unofficial title of President of All Badasses. ...just kidding! TNA actually suspended her, and when the company refused to release her upon request, she declined to participate in the company's United Kingdom tour. After a threatening phone call from Bubba and a refusal from TNA to increase pay within the Knockouts Division, TNA finally released Kong -- then stripped Kong and her partner Hamada of the TNA Knockouts Tag Team Title (the company said on-screen that they hadn't defended the titles within the past thirty days, even though they had actually defended them three weeks prior)."

"A nearly 45-minute promo opened the Impact after Bound for Glory; it actually spanned two commercial breaks. Hogan and Bischoff formally announced the creation of the Immortal faction and Jeff Hardy consolidated his heel turn."

"J-Woww of Jersey Shore fame was paid $15,000 to make a single appearance on Impact -- this episode, in fact. Many in the TNA locker room were angered by the news, especially as the Knockouts were known to be underpaid and often had to take second jobs to make ends meet (see the Taylor Wilde pay scandal in the 2008 section above for more on this). TNA got some free publicity, however, as J-Woww and other Jersey Shore cast members hyped up the appearance and told their fans to check out the first hour of Impact (but to turn the channel at 9:00 for the season premiere of Jersey Shore). TNA decided to do the neverending Hogan/Bischoff segment to start this episode and started the J-Woww segment at 9:00, which directly competed with the Jersey Shore episode. Predictably, TNA lost."

"TNA did a round of drug tests in early autumn of 2010. Several wrestlers knew they were going to fail before the tests came back and were scared of getting reprimanded. Wrestlers with failed drug tests were informed that their test came back positive for illegal substances, but TNA took no disciplinary action and had no other tests done."

TNA only got worse from here going forward in the decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sting in a Sting mask was funny as hell, though.