Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

General Dog posted:

I just don't like Patterson, he's a big fat crybaby and it's unpleasant to watch him sweat through multiple shirts over the course of 4 hours while his towel/water girl attends to him.

You would hate watching me eat.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

It's frankly really weird knowing bama fans because they honestly expect to win every single game they play and it takes a ton of flukes for them to ever lose (absent that Clemson beatdown)

Like jusr imagine week in week out being absolutely confident you were going to win, and 90% of the time you're correct, for a decade

This is going to sound spoiled which is not my intent, but the reality of it is that you kind of enjoy winning less. You go from being excited that you won to being anxious about losing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I just don't like Patterson, he's a big fat crybaby and it's unpleasant to watch him sweat through multiple shirts over the course of 4 hours while his towel/water girl attends to him.

You make a solid case, but isn't every coach objectionable?

Dana Holgerson is an unhinged psycho who kneecapped his team and then talked poo poo about the players he basically betrayed by giving up on a season.

Tom Herman is a fake genius who kisses all the players.

Dabo Swinney is a head coach in name only who converts every student to prosperity gospel.

Every coach is making millions off the unpaid labor of students. You should hate 'em all.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

PostNouveau posted:

Dana Holgerson is an unhinged psycho who kneecapped his team and then talked poo poo about the players he basically betrayed by giving up on a season.

Dabo Swinney is a head coach in name only who converts every student to prosperity gospel.

Every coach is making millions off the unpaid labor of students. You should hate 'em all.

I only know what's in my heart.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

except paul chryst who is good, and pure, and saved big money at menards

just look at the last name

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

He called out Briles after a game (that TCU lost, btw) saying that he had poor control over his players and even called out a specific player for playing dangerously. Seems like a breach of coach etiquette to tell another one that he's not running his team right.

lol gently caress off

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

lol gently caress off

Have you ever heard a coach publicly talk about another coach that way?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

No and that’s a drat shame.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

General Dog posted:

Have you ever heard a coach publicly talk about another coach that way?

no, they should do it way more though

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I hate Gary Patterson because he is good at his job and whomever has been coaching Texas over the last decade is not.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

mactheknife posted:

no, they should do it way more though

I think they don’t because it’s a small world and people have long memories, but I guess if you know you’re going to be at the same place for the rest of your life it liberates you to let loose a little bit.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i have signed the Fire Saban petition

imho saban requires a somewhat more sedate gig as he moves toward semi-retirement, something like USF or perhaps New Mexico. There are a lot of openings he should be interested in.

General Dog posted:

He called out Briles after a game (that TCU lost, btw) saying that he had poor control over his players and even called out a specific player for playing dangerously. Seems like a breach of coach etiquette to tell another one that he's not running his team right.

otoh, it is actually good to say whatever negative thing about art briles you can think of

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

PostNouveau posted:

yeah!!

are there any atheist football coaches

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Ehud posted:

yeah!!

mike leach knows no god but the forward pass

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
What coach is most Christlike

Imma say Frank Beamer

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ehud posted:

yeah!!

If there are any, I don't think they're open about it. That'd make recruiting harder.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Raku posted:

Imma say Frank Beamer

Crucified Jesus painting but instead of "I.N.R.I" his cross was labelled "0-0 END OF REGULATION"

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
Joey Gatewood is going to be very good at Kentucky and I am legit worried about Auburns game with them next year.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Kentucky is going to do that basketball school football surge that everyone thought Duke was going to do a couple of years ago

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.
Don't forget that Dabo says paying players will ruin everything while Saban backed the unionization of Northwestern and paying players. He also argued that if they can't be paid that universities have a duty to compensate them in other ways.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Raku posted:

Imma say Frank Beamer

Paul Chryst?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

cpranger posted:

Don't forget that Dabo says paying players will ruin everything while Saban backed the unionization of Northwestern and paying players. He also argued that if they can't be paid that universities have a duty to compensate them in other ways.

Saban also tells his players to always go pro if they're a high pick and was the one who got the pre draft grades sent out to help players make the decision

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Raku posted:

Saban also tells his players to always go pro if they're a high pick and was the one who got the pre draft grades sent out to help players make the decision

Hmm yes saban definitely puts his players first at all times *glances at tua*

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

General Dog posted:

I don't truly hate any team, except TCU

IU, ND, PSU, Michigan, 'Bama....definately 'Bama and especially Iowa.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PupsOfWar posted:

mike leach knows no god but the forward pass

If you asked him, he'd probably start a rambling two hour story about how he thought about it and then did some reading and then some more thinking, then concluded that the one true way is an obscure, secondary Harappan diety. He refuses to name or describe this deity.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Saban could feed homeless kids and cure cancer and I’m still gonna root for Alabama to lose.

I’m not rooting against Saban per se. he’s just the face of what I am rooting against.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Tatsuta Age posted:

Hmm yes saban definitely puts his players first at all times *glances at tua*

loving lol

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Raku posted:

Phonetically it's Paul Chryst.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i liked it when that wyoming coach called troy calhoun "Mister Howdy loving Doody" after a game once

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

wernox posted:

IU, ND, PSU, Michigan, 'Bama....definately 'Bama and especially Iowa.

lol what the heck has Iowa done to purdue

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Randaconda posted:

I was agreeing with him :saddowns: he's the GOAT as far as college goes, and I don't know that anybody is particularly close

You are forgetting future-Alabama coach William Christopher Swinney

Emron posted:

This is going to sound spoiled which is not my intent, but the reality of it is that you kind of enjoy winning less. You go from being excited that you won to being anxious about losing.

I definitely can see that. I remember a few years ago, I was sitting in a sports bar near some stodgy old Bama fan. And that guy was cursing up a storm every time a slightly negative (or even less than amazingly positive) play occurred, while watching the Bama game. It didn't look like he was having any fun at all and actually hated watching Bama..... The game that was making him so grumpy? One in which Bama had a multiple touchdown lead in the first half against an FCS opponent.... like anyone that knew anything about football already knew that the outcome was never in any doubt, but that old man just was finding every tiny negative he could to rant about to the bartender

It made me think to myself "I'm really glad I'm not a Bama fan", seems like it just makes it no fun to win when you absolutely expect to win every game, as there is no chance of pleasant surprise, just crushing disappointment if you lose.

Also reminds me of how I felt during the Broncos super bowl run in 2013. Broncos were blowing every team out and I just expected to win every game (and we did). At the end of the season, right before the Super Bowl, I actually thought to myself that the Super Bowl was going to feel a little hollow because we didn't really have to go through any struggles to get to it. The journey just wasn't exciting, there were no struggles or surprises, just smooth sailing the whole way and the season felt a little less enjoyable because of it..... Of course then the Broncos proceeded to get their asses beat by Seattle, which just made things feel worse, considering we fully expected to cruise to a Super Bowl win, since that's what we had done all season :ohdear:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

General Dog posted:

Here's a movie pitch: a couple of retired college coaches in their late 70s or early 80s with bad blood between them each take HC jobs at rival high schools near their Florida retirement community. Like maybe a thinly fictionalized Steve Spurrier and Mack Brown.
Have one of the retired coaches say something about "They should be glad to get a chance to play. Football is paying for their education." and one of the kids says "Coach, this is a private school."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also one of the coaches' wife recently died, and he's just loving nonstop, just plowing through the retirement community.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You need Jesus

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

General Dog posted:

Also one of the coaches' wife recently died, and he's just loving nonstop, just plowing through the retirement community.
What actress in 2019 can be the Blanche Devereaux we need in these trying times?

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

MourningView posted:

lol what the heck has Iowa done to purdue

How dare you minimize our intense rivalry like that!?!?!?!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

What actress in 2019 can be the Blanche Devereaux we need in these trying times?

Adrienne Barbeau

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I was vaguely aware that Kansas was trying to screw Beaty over his buyout but I didn't know the full extent of the loving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

Lorenzo Neal is coming back! Some people had him going round 1-2 in their mock's before he missed the whole season

https://twitter.com/loneal40/status/1203040261519151105