Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

yea ok posted:

romo is good

Make the thread and I will give a vote equal to the amount of quarters romo thought was in a game - 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Phillip Rivers is the Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock of quarterbacks. You don't question its existence at first, you just kinda shrug, but once you do, you realize how pointless it really is. Also both end up in pregnancy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rivers biggest problem on and off the field is he stays too long in the pocket

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

really queer Christmas posted:

Make the thread and I will give a vote equal to the amount of quarters romo thought was in a game - 3

Which one are you excluding? Cause romo was one of the best ever in the fourth and at one point was the top qb ever in fourth quarter comebacks.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mr. Nice! posted:

Which one are you excluding? Cause romo was one of the best ever in the fourth and at one point was the top qb ever in fourth quarter comebacks.

QBR was invented by Trent Dilfer to prove Romo was a choker, and Romo promptly posted a huge QBR lmao

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.

sean10mm posted:

QBR was invented by Trent Dilfer to prove Romo was a choker, and Romo promptly posted a huge QBR lmao

I thought Dilfer invented it to prove Dilfer was good.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

cpranger posted:

They never published QBR numbers for seasons before 2006, so it's hard to see how it would do that. :v:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

cpranger posted:

Dilfer regularly admits he wasnt good

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

sean10mm posted:

I guess QBR actually does have a statistical backing, though the equation isnt as clear.

From Arif Hasan's article from the Athletic

quote:

The problem is that it had been difficult to consistently and easily produce expected points for each quarterback on a week-by-week basis because of the challenges involved with parsing out play-by-play data. Brian Burke, who later joined ESPN to work with their Stats & Info department, hosted expected points tables at his website, Advanced Football Analytics but then ported them over to ESPN’s Total QBR page.

Pro-Football-Reference also has expected points, which one can find for individual players using their play finder. With that tool, Cousins ranks second in the NFC in expected points, just behind Prescott and ahead of Stafford and Wilson.

ESPN’s tool is a bit different, however, and parses out drops, air yards — that is the distance the ball travels in the air on completions, in contrast to yards after the catch — garbage time, pressured plays as well as a few other corrections they detail in their explainer.

With those additional corrections to EPA and a normalizing effect to distribute player scores to a range between 0 and 100, with 50 as average, ESPN’s QBR is one of the most context-friendly statistics out there. In QBR, Cousins ranks fourth in the conference, behind the three quarterbacks we’ve been mentioning.

Tracking data has added even more, with the ability to evaluate every throw and determine how probable a completion is based on a variety of factors, like how many yards in the air the ball travels, how close the nearest defender to the receiver is, the distance of the receiver from the sideline, pressure on the quarterback and more.

By adding up all the completions and incompletions a quarterback generates and subtracting it from how many an average quarterback would complete based on those throwing conditions, we get what Next Gen Stats calls “completions plus-minus.” A more publicly accessible version called “completion percentage over expected” (CPOE) doesn’t use the tracking data and instead uses throw distance to determine the “expected” completion rate. That’s why The Athletic’s Ben Baldwin combined EPA and CPOE to create DAKOTA, a measure that predicts future EPA even better than current EPA does.

In CPOE, Cousins ranks first in the NFC, ahead of the rest of the gang-of-four NFC QBs, Wilson, Prescott and Stafford. In DAKOTA, he remains atop the NFC. If we count Drew Brees, who has played six games this season, Cousins ranks second in CPOE and DAKOTA.

But if we want to look at the full context — determine who’s responsible for catches or incompletions, figure out where fumbles come from and whether or not a quarterback threw a good ball that led to yards after-the-catch or benefitted from a screen pass and so on — we probably need film grading.

The folks at Pro Football Focus have done that, grading every player on every play. Contrary to what many think they do, they grade based on the footage, not statistics. By determining whether a player did their job effectively, they assign a grade between -2.0 and +2.0 with zero given the vast majority of time for plays where an average player would have performed the same job.

That way, quarterbacks are not punished for drops or rewarded for off-target throws that receivers catch through remarkable acrobatics. They will record statistics, but those statistics are a product of their grading process and don’t inform the grades themselves.

They then turn those raw numerical grades into a normalized 0-100 system, like ESPN QBR. According to PFF, Cousins ranks fourth in the NFC — ahead of Prescott and Stafford but falling behind Rodgers and Brees as well as Wilson.

(I linked a large part of the text that breaks down QBR a bit. I dont want to take away from Arifs article because this is a fraction of him using and explaining what advanced stats are to figure out who should go to the Pro Bowl from the Vikings.

If you have an Athletic Subscription it is an absolute pro read though obviously focused on the Vikings.)

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Isn't he still like #2 behind Russell Wilson Bullshit

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Romo has 21 4th quarter comebacks

Rivers and Eli both have 27.

Ben has 31

Brees and Brady both have 35

Peyton has the most ever at 43

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

Huh, looked it up and you're right he was real good. Maybe it just felt like it because the cowboys seemed to always be in big holes at the end? I just remember laughing at all the late game romoceptions (even though I always did like the dude but gently caress the cowboys).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

really queer Christmas posted:

Huh, looked it up and you're right he was real good. Maybe it just felt like it because the cowboys seemed to always be in big holes at the end? I just remember laughing at all the late game romoceptions (even though I always did like the dude but gently caress the cowboys).

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Fenrir posted:

Isn't he still like #2 behind Russell Wilson Bullshit
RWBS is at 25 per https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=WilsRu00

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looking at this some jerk named Peyton Manning is really good

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne were the best wr combo of all time maybe

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Fat Jesus posted:

Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne were the best wr combo of all time maybe

Jerry Rice and Tim Brown.

Or Jerry Rice and T.O. take your pick

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jerry rice and koren robinson

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chris Chambers and Oronde Gadsden

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Bruce and Holt.

For pure fun, best to watch was Moss and Carter.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Moss Carter
Boldin Fitzgerald
Bruce Holt
Rice Brown
Brown Wallace Ward
Jones White Gonzalez

Pure Comedy Option

TO Ochocinco

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

For pure fun, best to watch was Moss and Carter.
I don't even like Cris Carter but I gotta agree with this

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Bruce/Holt also gets Marshall Faulk, Az-Zahir Hakim, and Ricky “Slow White Guy” Proehl, which is a deep as gently caress group of dudes.

Air Coryell with Winslow, Joiner, and Chandler was also kickass.

K-Gun Bills with Reed, Lofton, Don “Fast White Guy” Beebe, :thurman:, and the assorted tight ends was awesome too.

Can this thread just be about cool receiving units now?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Sure, Allen-Williams is a pretty cool duo. Too bad the guy throwing to them loving sucks.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
They didn't accomplish as much as some others but it's hard to say that Boldin and Fitzgerald aren't the best two WRs to ever line up next to each other. At least factoring in their abilities at the point they were playing together.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Uterine Lineup posted:

Rivers is bad and the Chargers are on TV too much in LA so I get to watch him be bad a lot and I don't like it.

Well good thing they'll move to london in a couple years

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

somebody come up with stats for rec / yards / tds / bitches slapped / etc to find the True King Combo of receiving

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

Phillip Rivers is just Michael J. Nelson with a buzzcut.

Joel is better.

Much like Eli is better than Phil. In fact the two comparisons are very similar. Joel doing a stoner stihk and Mike being a pretty hardcore religious right person.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Phillip Rivers is so terrible he makes Tom Brady seem likeable

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Phillip Rivers is so terrible he makes Tom Brady seem likeable

Lets not go that far

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve