Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Geez wtf happened to Ridley, glad he’s alive though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

I've never heard of it. Should I watch?

But like a year or two ago some people were saying stuff to me like "That's bird law!!!" over and over and i was like what in the world are you talking about. But now my roommate seems to watch Always Sunny in Philadelphia on loop and now I know what that is.

It's a Netflix documentary on a murder trial where a husband allegedly murdered his wife, and there's a theory that the woman was actually attacked by an owl due to the type of lacerations she sustained and some micro feathers found on her or something. I don't believe it's actually addressed in the doc though.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

AndrewP posted:

It's a Netflix documentary on a murder trial where a husband allegedly murdered his wife, and there's a theory that the woman was actually attacked by an owl due to the type of lacerations she sustained and some micro feathers found on her or something. I don't believe it's actually addressed in the doc though.

Yeah i edited my post to ask if it was something like that. I haven't seen the documentary but people were saying on the walk that it's been proven in some cases that owls have killed people. I used to randomly ask it on walks I lead as kind of a funny question. But apparently it has happened but I haven't looked up the actual cases myself. Great Horneds are seriously fierce birds and if one wanted to it could absolutely kill a person without much trouble.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

It’s hard not to feel for Tom Brady. The best QB of all time is being let down by a shoddy receiving corp.

ugh 😑

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

sponges posted:

It’s hard not to feel for Tom Brady. The best QB of all time is being let down by a shoddy receiving corp.

ugh 😑

Welcome to Boston losah . Jpg

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah i edited my post to ask if it was something like that. I haven't seen the documentary but people were saying on the walk that it's been proven in some cases that owls have killed people. I used to randomly ask it on walks I lead as kind of a funny question. But apparently it has happened but I haven't looked up the actual cases myself. Great Horneds are seriously fierce birds and if one wanted to it could absolutely kill a person without much trouble.

Do they somehow get the jugular/carotid or is this like, people don’t want to hurt the owl and can’t manage to break its wings the instant it attacks? I just can’t imagine a few face lacerations causing someone to bleed out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

sponges posted:

It’s hard not to feel for Tom Brady.

:wrong:

quote:

The best QB of all time is being let down by a shoddy receiving corp.

Joe Montana isn't playing this year :confused:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Ghost Dog posted:

i love the idea of hyper knowledgeable football poster Play just now figuring out that two teams with the exact same coordinator have similiarities between their offenses. way to connect the loving dots there bud

lmfao

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME

latinotwink1997 posted:

Do they somehow get the jugular/carotid or is this like, people don’t want to hurt the owl and can’t manage to break its wings the instant it attacks? I just can’t imagine a few face lacerations causing someone to bleed out.

They pick people up and carry them hundreds of feet into the air

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those big rear end eagles that lived in New Zealand apparently killed children, at least, in prehistory, 'fore they went extinct.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Randaconda posted:

Those big rear end eagles that lived in New Zealand apparently killed children, at least, in prehistory, 'fore they went extinct.

They couldn't kill tjem in prehistory since humans didn't show up until like 900 ad. But yeah the Maori stories are that the haast? Eagle would go after kids once the moa got eradicated and the eagles had nothing else to eat

Also the kea parrots apparently drink blood from living sheep when they aren't busy destroying cars

Nz having zero non flightless mammals (they had some bats) is so cool . Also the ships log for Captain Cook is hilarious when they landed, because the cat jumped off the ship and just started rampaging through flightless birds

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mastershakeman posted:

They couldn't kill tjem in prehistory since humans didn't show up until like 900 ad. But yeah the Maori stories are that the haast? Eagle would go after kids once the moa got eradicated and the eagles had nothing else to eat

Also the kea parrots apparently drink blood from living sheep when they aren't busy destroying cars

Nz having zero non flightless mammals (they had some bats) is so cool . Also the ships log for Captain Cook is hilarious when they landed, because the cat jumped off the ship and just started rampaging through flightless birds

Yeah, prehistory was a bad choice of words, my mistake.

It's weird, it seems like flightless birds, with the ratites being an obvious exception, really have problems competing with mammals on the ground.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, prehistory was a bad choice of words, my mistake.

It's weird, it seems like flightless birds, with the ratites being an obvious exception, really have problems competing with mammals on the ground.

No you were right, by definition “prehistory” refers to the period before written history in a given area so that period of time was “prehistoric” in NZ as the populations there at the time did not have a writing system

Also yeah makes you think: were dinosaurs also pathetic loser animals that would get their poo poo kicked in by tigers or w/e

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeimosRising posted:

No you were right, by definition “prehistory” refers to the period before written history in a given area so that period of time was “prehistoric” in NZ as the populations there at the time did not have a writing system

Also yeah makes you think: were dinosaurs also pathetic loser animals that would get their poo poo kicked in by tigers or w/e

I doubt it, since the archosaurs had unheard-of domination on land. Like drat near every animal more than a meter long was a dinosaur, or at least an archosaur. Mammals and close kin could grow a bit bigger than the rodent-sized stereotypes would suggest, but still pretty small in comparison.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
:patssay:

https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/1204129437266120704

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Real talk though, am I having a stroke or did Al Riveron not say during the off-season, in essence, "Stop blowing the loving whistle in live ball situations and go back and look at it after the play is over"? I could have sworn that was one of the things in their referee referendum this year but I could be wrong

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was today years old with learned Mahomes' dad was a MLB pitcher

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Real talk though, am I having a stroke or did Al Riveron not say during the off-season, in essence, "Stop blowing the loving whistle in live ball situations and go back and look at it after the play is over"? I could have sworn that was one of the things in their referee referendum this year but I could be wrong

No. They said "more holding calls".

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

No. They said "more holding calls".

Oh yeah now I remember. They said "throw the flag first, then huddle together and see if you can wring a penalty out somewhere, if not try again on the next play"

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1204061892718690304?s=19

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1204133118371934208?s=20

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

You're not wrong. They're supposed to swallow the whistle on those situations. Browns fans celebrated because we got dicked a couple times by plays being blown dead then reversed last season.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

If he did, the refs clearly didn't listen. I know the Saints and Bucs got hosed by the same thing this season (against the Rams and Titans respectively), plus probably a couple other teams I'm forgetting.

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME

mastershakeman posted:

They couldn't kill tjem in prehistory since humans didn't show up until like 900 ad.

Thats too early what about the lard bridge

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

DJ only got to 879 in his awesome year, go Ekeler go.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

so Phil's arm is so weak now he can only dump off the ball to a back?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Fat Jesus posted:

so Phil's arm is so weak now he can only dump off the ball to a back?

Rivers is averaging more yards in the air per completion and per attempt than Mahomes is, but sure okay

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Ekeler is probably the best player on the Chargers' offense this year and deserves a fat payday this offseason. He's really drat good.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Mega64 posted:

If he did, the refs clearly didn't listen. I know the Saints and Bucs got hosed by the same thing this season (against the Rams and Titans respectively), plus probably a couple other teams I'm forgetting.

It was the Bucs and it happened in two separate games. But it's the Bucs so you know, who cares.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Joe Montana isn't playing this year :confused:

I know, right ?

But that's good perspective on who the 49ers are this season: As good as they ever have been.

I'm still randomly giggling over Sunday in New Orleans, so I'm not actually offering actual analysis.

I mean, if Young to Owens vs Green Bay was The Catch II, then what was this game? The Game ?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

A football game that your team won

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
people sure do get mad when you point out Rivers is JAG, who won't ever win anything thanks to not being good enough

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

yeah but he's my JAG

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Randaconda posted:

people sure do get mad when you point out Rivers is JAG, who won't ever win anything thanks to not being good enough

If he was a jag he would have been ran out the league after his rookie deal just like every other jaguar this decade

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Durandal1707 posted:

Ekeler is probably the best player on the Chargers' offense this year and deserves a fat payday this offseason. He's really drat good.

He was torching the Titans all night but then towards the end of the game they just stopped using him and I always thought that was really dumb.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

He was torching the Titans all night but then towards the end of the game they just stopped using him and I always thought that was really dumb.

Gotta get Gordon his touches!!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Metapod posted:

If he was a jag he would have been ran out the league after his rookie deal just like every other jaguar this decade

says, while the Titans haven't been anywhere in years and years

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Randaconda posted:

You seem angry

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Randaconda posted:

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Im not sure why they don't give him more touches (besides some weird alliance with Gordon) he's been great all season