Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well that's thematically very cool. I didn't realize you also want to keep track of "hits" so I didn't create a variable for that, but it'd be pretty easy to add in. I think it also makes the system much more interesting, as it gives you choices about hitting harder vs. lasting longer, etc.

On its face, dice pools are commonly used in several different RPGs, and are a useful baseline mechanic to build off of. You can add in things like: one-offs that recover dice or let you roll an extra, having just one or two "special" dice in your pool that you choose when to roll and have higher value faces, but if you lose anyway that die is lost rather than going back into your pool, three and four way matches, etc.

I kind of enjoyed figuring this out because I've been thinking of learning some python for a while anyway. At first glance your eyes might glaze over but "roll some dice" is like absolutely a babby's first program in most any language, so it's a great starting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I can't help with the statistics bit, but rolling tons of dice is always fun as hell. It does sound like the only actual choice in your game is the character choice, everything else is just random. To me, that's not the best game design, maybe you can do something with the hits where you choose if you want to block or attack or something?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I went to Protospiel St. Louis this past weeakend and got a bunch of work done on my weird satirical anti-cryptocurrency thematic sequel to Heckin Hounds.

The bad dogs have gotten into cyptocurrency. But they're dumb bad dogs, so they want bones in exchange for their coins, which are worthless. The player with the most bones at the end of the game wins.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 20, 2024

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
You can now buy print and PDF copies of my new adventures for Mothership, the 40-page living ship module The Stone-Flesh Gift and the one-shot pamphlet So You've Been Chump-Dumped, on my itch.io page. They'll also be available in some RPG stores, like Exalted Funeral, in the near future.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

JMBosch posted:

You can now buy print and PDF copies of my new adventures for Mothership, the 40-page living ship module The Stone-Flesh Gift and the one-shot pamphlet So You've Been Chump-Dumped, on my itch.io page. They'll also be available in some RPG stores, like Exalted Funeral, in the near future.

So You've Been Chump-Dumped looks great and I regret reading it, or at least telling my Mothership GM that I read it.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

bbcisdabomb posted:

So You've Been Chump-Dumped looks great and I regret reading it, or at least telling my Mothership GM that I read it.

Hah, thanks! Gotta work on that character knowledge–player knowledge divide. The randomized elements should still keep it interesting, but you could maybe ask your Warden to consider swapping the positions of some key items if they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
DriveThruRPG just sponsored their third PocketQuest gamejam. This year's theme was Heists. Indie developers worked through February and March to create 90 new heist-based RPGs, and there's a lot of neat looking titles that have been released.

There's also my game. Not as neat looking. But I'm shilling it anyway!

Ins & Outs is a quickplay, GM-less game for 3-6 players, inspired by lighter heist films like Ocean's Eleven or Logan Lucky. Characters can be rolled up in about a minute once you're used to it. You roll up an Origin Story and then three pairs of linked attributes (Smash & Grab, Hide & Seek, Safes & Sounds) with each pair equaling 10.

Mechanically the game is very simple. To resolve a task, roll 2d6 and add your attribute; you succeed on a 13 or more, otherwise you fail forward. The game is much more interested in narrative and roleplay than crunch, and it's not really built for campaign play, so it won't be for everyone. It'll be disappointing if you want something robust, but it works well one-shots or a breather between your regular sessions. It's less "four hours of planning a shadowrun" and more "bullshitting with my buddies over pretzels and beers about how we'd rob a train."

The game contains two heists (Moneytrain, about robbing a train is also a bank, or perhaps a bank that is also a train?; and Who Deleted Loni Leopard?, about breaking into a film studio to steal a copy of a film that they plan to delete as a tax write-off), and a guide on how to create your own. I'll also be publishing packs of heists down the line.