Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Traveling CCircus thread has come to Trad Games! This is a thread for sharing your creative output with other goons from across the wide forums. Do browse it to see some of the cool poo poo people have made and done, and then please also feel free to post a sample of your (TG or non-TG related) creative stuff there!

I think it would be very cool if some of you folks posted some of your Actual Game Stuff You Made up in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

potatocubed posted:

Olivia Hill just published her RPG budget calculator. I haven't checked it in detail but I've given it a quick once-over and it looks solid.

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/1356751282799661057?s=19

Cross-posting from the industry thread just in case.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Cross-posting: I just released a new tool that's probably useful for rpg designers:

UnCO3 posted:

This might be useful to some people here: I just published a new typeface called Dicier! It's got icons for dice, dominoes, playing cards, and more, will get updates for even more stuff over time, and is currently PWYW (though all payments will go towards upgrading my font design app so I can actually carry on editing the font):

https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1363978510788923392

It's released under CC BY 4.0, a creative commons license that basically means if you want to use it for any personal or commercial projects (using it in games etc., bundling it with stuff, editing the font) you're free to do so as long as you give appropriate credit (and follow the other, not very restrictive conditions about recording changes made and not implying that I endorse you/your work).

A neat thing about the way it works is that you type in text (e.g. 1, HEADS, 7, PLUS, ACE_SPADES) and it converts that to the icons, while keeping the text underneath. That makes it a bit more accessible than dingbat typefaces—both easier to use for writers and easier to read for people using text-to-speech (TTS) software (though .pdf still ain't a great format for TTS).

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
We got the final art for Heckin Hounds and I couldn't be happier! The cards look amazing and I can't wait to see them in person.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

UnCO3 posted:

Cross-posting: I just released a new tool that's probably useful for rpg designers:

Thanks, I grabbed a copy.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Final 12 hours of my Morkus und Borgus Kickstarter for EVERY GOD WILL FALL.

We're at $661, which is almost a metal number!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm working on the script for the intro/pitch video for Budding Heroes, and I want to see if anyone has any thoughts before I give it the final pass and begin recording. When read aloud with pauses, it should be just about 4~5 minutes which I think is the sweet spot. There will obviously be visuals to go with it, and the parts where it talks about the character class cards specifically will use arrows to point everything out while they're on screen. Here's a different shot of the cards for reference:

Introducing Budding Heroes, the Tactical Combat Board Game

Budding Heroes is a fast-paced board game that beings RPG-style combat to players of all ages. It’s simple enough that beginners and kids can learn how to play it in just a few minutes, but it still has enough depth to bring a fun challenge to even the most experienced groups.

If you haven’t played a tabletop RPG before, think of it kind of like a cross between chess and a video game: tokens representing the players and bad guys are placed on a map, and the goal is usually to be the last team standing. The characters take turns moving around the map, and they attack their enemies or use special abilities to help turn the tide of the battle.

Every type of character is unique; they each have a distinct set of attacks along with different health, armor, and regeneration. The type of character is called its class, and the neat thing is that every class is represented on easy-to-read cards, just like these two. [Images of Demolisher, Enforcer class cards on screen]

As a note to those of you that have seen other RPGs, I’ll mention that there aren’t any equipment lists or skill trees to worry about – everything is baked into the character classes themselves. If you’re curious about why, that’s covered in the video on the philosophy and development of the game’s design.

Anyway, you can see that these two cards represent classes called the Demolisher and the Enforcer. [Arrows moving around as each part of the card is mentioned] Each class has its own health, armor, and regeneration information, along with a list of attacks. There are also the threat and endurance numbers down at the bottom, but you don’t need to worry about those during the game; they’re just used to help people create custom battles.

Health is pretty self-explanatory, it’s the character’s maximum health, and the amount you have at the beginning of the battle. If it ever reaches or goes below 0, the character is KO’d and can’t be revived.

Armor is how much damage the character gets to ignore whenever it’s attacked.
Regeneration is a fun feature that lets characters regain their health whenever certain things happen. In this case, the Demolisher heals itself whenever it deals a bunch of damage in a single turn, and the Enforcer heals itself when it gets a lucky roll on a status effect.

Each class also has 3 different kinds of attacks at its disposal. The primary and secondary attacks can be used as often as you want, but the special attack is very powerful and can only be used once before it needs to be recharged.

The icon on the left shows what type of attack it is, and the other symbols show how the attack deals damage or affects enemies. For example, this sword means that the Enforcer’s primary attack can hit a single target that’s up close, and the bomb over here means that the Demolisher’s special attack can hit an entire group of targets that are farther away. The game includes a quick reference sheet that explains what all the symbols mean, so you don’t need to spend time flipping through books to figure stuff out.

To make an attack, you just choose what you’re targeting based on the attack type, then roll the dice that are shown for that attack. Add up what you rolled, then subtract the target’s armor to see how much damage you dealt. That’s all you need to do, no other rolls or math!

The other symbols like Burn on the Enforcer’s attack or Blind on the Demolisher’s attack are called status effects, and they do things to your targets beyond just purely dealing damage. The How to Play video covers status effects along with other things like teamwork damage and actions that characters can use instead of attacks.

I know that may have been a bunch of information to absorb if you haven’t played an RPG before, but in those three minutes, you’ve already learned almost everything you need to know to play Budding Heroes! [End of cards/arrows]

The Budding Heroes Starter Kit has everything you need for two to five players to play the game. It comes with a set of six color-coded game dice, twenty five character class cards, eleven scenario cards, a quickstart sheet, the full combat rulebook, sixteen map markers, and twelve character tokens.

The game is designed to be extremely portable – you don’t need any map grids or graph paper, and the box is small enough that you can toss it in just about any bag.

The Starter Kit comes with pre-made battles that have different layouts, difficulties, and numbers of players, but you don’t have to stop there. You can combine the included enemies and players in different ways to create thousands of different scenarios, and the simple balancing tools will let you know exactly how difficult or long the battles will be!
For more information on exactly how the game works, check out the How to Play video. Pick up your copy of Budding Heroes, grab some friends, and begin your adventure today!

Other planned videos:
Budding Heroes: How to Play
Budding Heroes: GM Tips and Customizing Battles
Balancing the World: The Philosophy and Development of Budding Heroes
Using Budding Heroes in your RPG Campaign

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
Just released my first actual RPG product!

A tense and eerie descent into body horror, cosmic weirdness, and ego murder focusing on the theme of communion, The Pried Eye: A Trophy Dark Incursion is a one-shot adventure for the horror RPG Trophy Dark, but it contains all of the rules you need to play, including all-new character creation options. It's 28-pages, and I tried to fill it with evocative artwork.

Check it out here: https://atypicalfaux.itch.io/the-pried-eye. Free community copies are available, but each purchase adds another community copy for someone else to get. If you want to promote it, you can retweet this.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Oh gently caress yeah.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Heckin Hounds' pre-kickstarter marketing campaign has begun and I couldn't be more excited.

We have a website, a mailing list, and a facebook group.

https://heckinhounds.com/

It's been so long in the making, I'm kind of freaking out that it's actually starting to happen.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Hello hello friends! Thank you all who participated in the grimDARK: A Fistful of Ashcan Deal of the Day - or who already owned copies! I got the word that some people were disappointed that the physical copy is on sale, so I decided to make a little fix - from now until the 22nd of April, grimDARK: A Fistful of Ashcan Edition is available in physical for $8.99! That's approximately 55% off, a little over half! You can get your 55% off copies using the coupon below or by clicking this link, but act fast - only 100 55% off copies are available!

Special Coupon Here!

Winner of the 2002 Golde EMny for Best

sasha_d3ath fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 15, 2021

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

JMBosch posted:

Just released my first actual RPG product!

A tense and eerie descent into body horror, cosmic weirdness, and ego murder focusing on the theme of communion, The Pried Eye: A Trophy Dark Incursion is a one-shot adventure for the horror RPG Trophy Dark, but it contains all of the rules you need to play, including all-new character creation options. It's 28-pages, and I tried to fill it with evocative artwork.

Check it out here: https://atypicalfaux.itch.io/the-pried-eye. Free community copies are available, but each purchase adds another community copy for someone else to get. If you want to promote it, you can retweet this.

I picked this up and ran it with my D&D group. None of us had played the Trophy Dark system and we had a blast. Last night will go down as one of my top RPG experiences, especially as a GM. The players picked up on the themes of the incursion and went with it. Some really good evocative (and pretty gross) imagery, this was awesome and inspiring.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.

ape!!! posted:

I picked this up and ran it with my D&D group. None of us had played the Trophy Dark system and we had a blast. Last night will go down as one of my top RPG experiences, especially as a GM. The players picked up on the themes of the incursion and went with it. Some really good evocative (and pretty gross) imagery, this was awesome and inspiring.
Awesome! Thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad your group had such a good time. I'm working on a second sci-fi incursion, called Penumbra, set on an asteroid, but it probably won't be ready for a little while. I'm struggling a bit to make that environment as unsettling and threatening as the forest in this one.

I love the narrative arc the Trophy Dark system forces onto one-shot adventures and the cohesion the themes give them. Makes me think they'd be great fodder for churning out horror film scripts for the right well-motivated scriptwriter.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
So I've been spending more time this year releasing fonts than I've been releasing games, but if you make games or supplements then you might find these useful:

Dicier is a typeface for analog game randomisers! It's got icons for dice, dominoes, cards, and a few others (so far, coins and dreidels). I released an upgrade at the start of the week, adding minor arcana for tarot, plus some more historical playing card suits (crowns, anchors, castles, and leaves), and the Heckadeck (a feature request), plus a bunch of other stuff.

There's 3 weights and 4 'modes' (visual styles, basically) and a bunch of other levers you can use to tweak the appearance, like replacing pips with Arabic numerals, using asterisks for wildcards, or putting card suits on dice. Next version's coming out in 2-3 weeks and will finally be adding d4, d8, d10, d12, d20, support for d100, plus different kinds of barrel dice! I do weekly news updates on twitter (every Monday) so follow me there if you wanna see what I've been working on.

timeTo is a typeface for clocks! It's got a couple different versions for analog clocks at different levels of complexity, plus one for countdown/progress clocks for PbtA or FitD games.The free version has 10 analog styles and 1 countdown style and the $5 expansion adds 10 more analog styles (one's an altered version of a free style though) and 5 more countdown styles.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

If anyone follows my stuff or Mork Borg stuff or even OSR stuff in general, my book of d8 Supernatural Hirelings, EVERY GOD WILL FALL, is shipping some physical copies Monday. 8 pages, full color, totally gameable (or so I've been told). Get yourself a copy! (Also include your address in the paypal in case that's not obvious) https://twitter.com/TheEldritchTomb/status/1389846977303752704?s=20

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Crosspost from general chat:

UnCO3 posted:

I just released a major update to Dicier, my analog game icon typeface—it adds d4, d8, d10, d12, d20, and a bunch of other features, tweaks, and changes:

Check out the devlog for more info!
It's also got single-digit barrel dice, Taoist trigram dice, a bunch of tweaks to appearance, and some changes that cut the filesize a bit.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
So I've finally got an RPG to the point where I would like to open it up for public playtesting. This is completely new territory for me. It currently exists as a Google Doc, but is there a better format I should be using? Is there any kind of copyright considerations I need to be aware of?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I tend to release playtest games as a pdf on the end of a public Dropbox link but any format which is accessible to multiple people is fine -- just make sure you've got all the appropriate permissions set for a Google doc so people can't delete swathes of it for shits and giggles.

On the copyright front, you have the copyright for anything you create and you keep it until you sell it or give it away. If you're worried about someone stealing your entire game and bringing it to market first... I feel that's unlikely to happen. I mean it could, in theory, but I'm pretty confident saying that it won't.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I just got the tentative date for my kickstarter and I'm kind of freaking out but I'm mostly crazy excited :dance:

SkeletonHero posted:

So I've finally got an RPG to the point where I would like to open it up for public playtesting. This is completely new territory for me. It currently exists as a Google Doc, but is there a better format I should be using? Is there any kind of copyright considerations I need to be aware of?

Playtesting is kind of the wild west, but generally as long as you have a Copyright (c) 2021 SkeletonHero at the top of the PDF you're good to go. Like potatocubed said, the odds of someone stealing your work are pretty slim.

The hard part is actually finding playtesters and getting good feedback. I don't know much about how to do that on the RPG front of things, but I wish you the best!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Frozen Peach posted:

Playtesting is kind of the wild west, but generally as long as you have a Copyright (c) 2021 SkeletonHero at the top of the PDF you're good to go. Like potatocubed said, the odds of someone stealing your work are pretty slim.

Copyright notice isn't required on new work in the U.S., but you should put it there anyway, so people know it's copyrighted (as opposed to released under some other license that lets them use it without permission), and so that people know your name if they want to license it, pay you to write things for them, et cetera.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
Thank you for all the help!

The game is called Nowhere, set in an afterlife of the same name. It's a story-focused, largely player-driven RPG with simple mechanics focused on long, dangerous journeys through a hostile and alien world. Inspired by Mad Max, Pyre, Nausicaa, Ice Pick Lodge games, and prog rock album covers.

If anybody is interested in it, the link is here.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Frozen Peach posted:

I just got the tentative date for my kickstarter and I'm kind of freaking out but I'm mostly crazy excited :dance:

The hard part is actually finding playtesters and getting good feedback. I don't know much about how to do that on the RPG front of things, but I wish you the best!

I still haven't gotten to try your game but as soon as James posts that it's live you both have my money

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Len posted:

I still haven't gotten to try your game but as soon as James posts that it's live you both have my money

Ping me on their discord, and if no one else is around I can at least do a two player demo of the game.

I've been spending the last few days rewriting and perfecting my rules document. I really want this to be as good as possible before the Kickstarter launches.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Something for people who publish on itch (and maybe on DTRPG, I can't remember if their page editor lets you add html):

https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1394335148276129792

The short version is you can enter the html editor when editing a game, jam, or profile page and add html elements like drop-down content (for extra info or content notices/warnings or whatever) using <details> and <summary> like this:
code:
<details>
  <summary>
    whatever your visible title/summary is
  </summary>
  whatever your collapsible content is
</details>
Make sure any extra stuff (like bold or italics) is applied inside the <summary> tags, not outside, and optionally put the collapsible content in <p></p> (paragraph) tags to space it a bit better from the summary.

You can also add stuff like highlighting, super/subscript, definition lists, horizontal rules, and a bunch more stuff (not as widely useful) that's otherwise not listed in itch's WYSIWYG editor's buttons. Speaking of the WYSIWYG editor, there's some warnings in the twitter thread about problems that can happen if you edit the details-summary widget in that mode instead of html.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
...And following on from that, I just published a demo of the above feature in an actual itch page, plus a bunch more, like highlighting, pre-formatted text, and abbreviations with tooltips. I've called it itch.io's HTML basement.

I also just published a blog post that streamlines (and adds some info to) my 'how to publish your first itch project' post in this thread. It's mostly very, very intro-level, but it has a few things that might help more experienced publishers.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I wrote my very first thing in about twenty years. It is not like riding a bike.

VeXed is a supplement for BXLLET as part of the BXLLET JXM.

BXLLET is a clever mini game where shooting bullets kills people and having bullets unlocks class abilities. VeXed adds three new classes themed around being magnets for trouble.

I enjoyed the jam. Gearing up for the next one.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

My Kickstarter date was announced as June 22nd and the Kickstarter video is available on Facebook.

https://fb.watch/63JszzJbc4/

I'm really happy with how everything turned out. It's amazing seeing professional voice acting and animation set to my card game. It makes it feel more real than I ever expected at this point.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
Released my second RPG product!

A contemplative trek across a barren asteroid to add a few final grains of sand to a colonial planet's proverbial hourglass, Penumbra is a sci-fi horror incursion (or one-shot adventure) for Trophy Dark focusing on the theme of recurrence, but it contains all of the rules you need to play, including all-new character creation options.

TL;DR: Armageddon meets Annihilation, or something like that.

Check it out here: https://atypicalfaux.itch.io/penumbra. Some free community copies are still available, but each purchase adds another community copy for someone else to get. If you want to promote it, you can retweet this.

(If you joined my mailing list already, look for your free art-less copy in your inbox! If you haven't, you should because you'll get free products and exclusive discounts and eventually be entered into free boardgame giveaway contests.)

JMBosch fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 2, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Frozen Peach posted:

My Kickstarter date was announced as June 22nd and the Kickstarter video is available on Facebook.

https://fb.watch/63JszzJbc4/

I'm really happy with how everything turned out. It's amazing seeing professional voice acting and animation set to my card game. It makes it feel more real than I ever expected at this point.

I was talking to James Friday about the kickstarter some. I can't wait to give you two money

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Len posted:

I was talking to James Friday about the kickstarter some. I can't wait to give you two money

The time is now! We went live at 7am central time, and we're already nearly 50% funded. It's completely insane.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/527566924/heckin-hounds?ref=q52d0a

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Frozen Peach posted:

The time is now! We went live at 7am central time, and we're already nearly 50% funded. It's completely insane.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/527566924/heckin-hounds?ref=q52d0a

Apparently a lot of us wanted to give you money!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Len posted:

Apparently a lot of us wanted to give you money!

Dude I'm losing it. 97% in 8 hours is INSANE. Beyond my wildest expectations.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
Just dropped my first entry in a game jam and first supplement for someone else's work:

⁍⁍⁍⁍⁍TXN SOULS⁌⁌⁌⁌⁌ is a supplement for Rathayibacter's post-apocalyptic anti-western game [BXLLET> that provides 10 NPCs to be plugged into your game with a roll table to help you randomly select one. It was made as part of Legendary Vermin's [BXLLET> JXM.

Since there aren't many mechanics, the NPCs are generic enough that they could be added to any western game that has some advanced tech sprinkled in.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
At last, the final regular Dicier upgrade! And a tiny feature/fix:

UnCO3 posted:

Last week I released Dicier v1.5, the last regular upgrade for Dicier, my analog games typeface! More details on the 'last regular upgrade' thing here. This one adds rock-paper-scissors icons, more card suits, and a few odd die types, among other things. I also released a tiny upgrade yesterday to help distinguish between two similar icons (swords and wands) at small text sizes). One more thing coming soon and then that's it for (most) work on Dicier for a long while.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
I've released my first solo game and my first journaling game:

Serious Reading is a comedy journaling RPG that lets you generate excerpts from fictitious opinion columns that reveal more about how bizarre and out-of-touch your columnist character is than the article's topic. Just like real life!

You'll take on the role of a grossly overpaid opinion columnist who probably should have quit years ago, as most of them should have if we could only be so lucky, and use two tables of prompts to write headlines for fictional opinion pieces, ostensibly about very serious topics, and excerpts from those articles that reveal nothing about their supposed topic but everything about the bizarre, broken life of your columnist character.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Yesterday I want live with EVERY GOD WILL FALL: The Sticker Set!

I've got eight sticker designs based on the zany li'l boys from my book EVERY GOD WILL FALL for Mork Borg. EVERY GOD WILL FALL is a d8 "table" of eight supernatural hirelings with pretensions, delusions, destinies, or mistaken identities of godhood. They're good for pretty much any OSR game where you can befriend weird little dudes!

You can also get the book for just $2.00 in PDF by clicking here for a special DriveThruRPG discount. Huzzah!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Crossposting from the Game Design megathread for input if any is available, since it's essentially a TCG-esque system right now.

D34THROW posted:

Alright, I've worked out some of the basics of this thing, enough to start a SQLite database and some rudimentary rules and gameplay flow. This may or may not become something more than a digital TCG, I'm picturing more of a Soda-Dungeon meets MtG sort of thing? Dropping the general abstract/flow here for comments and questions.

quote:

Project Caelina is the working name of a digital trading card game being developed by BlackRed Studios. It is based on a system wherein hero cards use equipment to attack the opponent's heroes and then commander, reducing their influence to zero in order to win the match.

Warrior-type heroes are equipped with some combination of weapons and shields - either a "two-handed" weapon, a "one-handed" weapon and a shield, or two "one-handed" weapons. Wizard-type heroes are equipped with a staff and one to three spells that require a certain amount of mana (of either fire, water, earth, air, light, or dark varieties)* to cast.

Each hero's core statistics include power (for warriors) or mana (for wizards), alignment, a description, and possibly a special effect. They cost gold to summon, which is earned through income from commanders and stored in the player's bank. Each hero also has incidental statistics, which include a hero's number, height, weight, and age. These are exclusively for flavor text - they do not affect gameplay in any way.

Game/Turn Flow

Play begins with each player shuffling their commander deck, then drawing four cards and selecting one to be their commander for the duration of the game. Once the commander is drawn and in play, the Recruiter, Armory, and Tower decks are shuffled and placed facedown.

Play then proceeds as follows:

1) During the initial phase - the recruiting phase, the player can play a hero card or defer if they already have six heroes in play, or do not wish to play a hero at that time.

2) During the equipping phase, the player fills any vacant equipment slots on their cards, both newly played and recently disarmed characters.

3) During the magical phase, wizard cards utilize one equipped spell each.

4) During the physical phase, warrior cards utilize their equipped weapons and any relevant effects.

5) During the draw phase, the player draws back up to three cards each from their Recruiter, Armory, and Tower deck, for a total of nine base cards plus any cards drawn as the result of spell effects, up to a maximum of twelve cards.

Play continues in this manner until one commander's influence is reduced to zero, or until a player's Recruiter deck is exhausted and they can no longer play new heroes.

Possible Revisions

* Considering a change from English to Latin for the mana types (ignis, aqua, terra, caelum, lux, tenebris)

I'm also considering something like ignum/aquum/terrum/caelum/luxum/tenebrum for some sort of additional flavor. Thoughts?

One more question - would it make more sense to have one SQLite database for each type of card or store the type as a field?

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
Released my first Mörk Borg content today!

Born of a Bloody Film is a supplement of four monsters inspired by horror movies with full, creepy art, stats, and some lore for each, just in time for your spooky OSR-style Halloween games. It was made as part of Michael Mars's Slasher Jam.

It's PWYW for at least the rest of the month, so grab it now before I need to squeeze precious cents out of it!

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Hey, I'm doing some layout tests for my game I'm about to publish and I'm looking for feedback on the tables I'm using. I had these fairly compact d66 tables similar to things I had done in Strike!, but then I compared them to Fiasco and it spreads its d66 tables out over a full 2-page spread with tons of white space, which got me thinking about other ways to present the information

I've mocked up a few different versions of the tables and some selected pages from the game in a pdf, and I'd like opinions on:

1. Which of the 3 versions of the d66 tables is best? The compact version on page 5, the spread out version on pages 6-7, or the compromise 2-column version on page 8? Or is there another good way to organize those tables that I haven't considered?
2. Fonts! I'm not a font guy - this is the same font I used for Strike! I'm happy to change it to a different font if this one sucks or something. Or to have the table font be different from the body text font. I know some of you have font opinions, so please tell me.
3. Colors - the table colors currently match the logo (seen in the awesome cover art by our very own Ferrinus!). I would like opinions on those colors and on the color of the call-out boxes on page 2, and the color of the ribbon going along the top and left of each spread.

Ariadne and Bob Layout Test

Once I get this stuff sorted out, I'll be just a handful of hours of grunt work away from publishing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
I'm no layout expert, or even particularly good in that area, but if you're just wanting opinions:

I like the compact, page 5 version. I personally appreciate one-page references wherever they're possible without being too dense, and that page seems to be right in that zone. If you had any more information trying to be conveyed there, I would probably break it up more like the two tables on pages 8 and 9. I think the two-page spread works well in Fiasco because the design is so clean and sparse. There are no colors, no table borders. Just white with some lines of text. The background colors and table borders in your two-page spread on pages 6 and 7, in contrast, seem to emphasize how much empty space there is on each page, and I kind of get the feeling of "Why is this spread out so much? It's a waste of space." Fiasco is also a smaller book than yours, so the white space in those spreads isn't as big and feels more like a reprieve from that denser text and art of the rules page rather than a space where stuff could go but is instead empty.

I know even less about fonts, so I'll just say that a tad more whimsical font for headers might fit the theme as long as readability doesn't suffer. But I can't really give any recommendations.

I think all the colors are good, except that the BG colors for the title of each table are maybe just a tad too dark for having black text in front of them. Maybe consider bumping them up a bit lighter and, if necessary, similarly bumping up the other table BG colors a bit lighter to match, if they are then too close.

Hope that helps.

Side note: Has your book already been through copyediting? I've noticed a few issues on page 2. They're mostly minor, but there are a couple of missing words as well. I'm a freelance editor if you want another set of eyes. You can check my website in my profile and PM or email me if you're interested.