Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Welcome to Part 3 of the final HOH competition. Whoever wins this will guarantee themselves a spot in the Final 2 and will make their case to the jury. Not only that, they will choose who they are up against. There will be no nominations and no deliberation. Whoever wins will need to make their decision immediately.

Since this is the most important challenge of the game, it is only fitting that you need to use all of your strengths to win. This is the....CHALLENGE GAUNTLET

Instructions

When you both say you are ready, you will be given three challenges: a flash challenge, a forum challenge, and a puzzle challenge. These will all be new versions of challenges you have done before. You are given all three simultaneously and may complete them in any order.

The first person to complete all three will be the final Head of Household!

I will make an announcement in the #announcements channel when someone has completed one of the challenges, but not which one they have completed. This would be in the form of: PERAMENE HAS COMPLETED ONE OF THREE CHALLENGES.

You are to give me all of your submissions in your confessional, not in the thread. I will tell you if your answer is wrong, but don't wait for me before moving on to the next part. Submit your answers as you get them, you don't need to wait until you've done all three. Because I want there to be no confusion on submission order, when submitting your result for one of the three challenges you MUST @ me. Don't forget to do this.

Now, time to see what your actual challenges are...

Flash Challenge

You will need to get above a particular score on a flash game. I will tell you the score that you need to get when I post the game. Same rules about including a timestamp apply as always.

Puzzle Challenge

You will need to do a Number Fill In puzzle. There will be a grid and a list of numbers. You have to fill in the grid so that all of the numbers fit.

Forum Challenge

You will be doing another Correct Order challenge. You must put all of the evicted houseguests in order based on the clues. While clues may apply to multiple houseguests, there is only one correct order that uses each evicted houseguest once and only once. You can use short forms of names if you want, as long as its legible.

Are there any rules questions before we begin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Alright. Let's do this.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Ready!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
FLASH CHALLENGE

You must get over 40,000 points in ROBOT UNICORN ATTACK

https://unicorn.jocke.no/

PUZZLE CHALLENGE

FORUM CHALLENGE

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

POQUE HAS WON THE FINAL HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD!!!!

Poque has secured himself a place in the finals!

However, he still has a decision to make. One that could potentially win or lose him this game.

Poque, please state now who you are evicting as they become the final member of the jury.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
jesus christ. you guys. It has been a hell of a ride. But I had to think about this as much as I could without overthinking. And only one thing made sense to me.

I'm sorry but I vote to evict The Lord Of Hats from the house.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
By a vote of 1 to 0, The Lord of Hats, you have been evicted from the Awful Big Brother house and become the final member of the jury.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

YOU'VE NOT HEARD THE LAST OF ME YET

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
oh my god that is amazing and terrifying

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Poque, thank you. This means a lot to me.

Hats, I'm sorry. You did so well to make it here.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Welcome everyone to the Awful Big Brother 3 Finale!

Congratulations to our two finalists, Poque and Somber, on getting to this point, but now the power has shifted into the hands of the jury. Tonight you will need to convince them on why you deserve to win over the person you're sitting next to.

Each finalist will give an opening statement, and then the jury will one by one ask their questions. Jury, remember you get one post and no follow-up questions so make it count! When both finalists have responded to the juror, we'll move on to the next. At the end, Poque and Somber will get to make one final statement before voting begins.

This is likely going to take a while, so jurors please have your questions ready for your turn. Poque and Somber, please try to answer within 10 minutes. This is more difficult than it seems, but do your best. If you're consistently going far above that time, I'll start putting a time limit on it.

So with all those rules out of the way, let's get to it. When you're ready, please post your opening statements.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Well heck, I'll start. Hi!

I’m really excited to be here tonight, but I’m also a little sad to be going up against one of my best buddies. I know Poque has worked really hard and accomplished a lot to be here tonight, but so have I. Unfortunately, I think I have played a much better social game than Poque, and I can prove it.

Going back to the start of the game, I immediately started networking with Hats and Teland. I knew they were people I wanted on my team, and that was a great decision. Teland and I being close enough that she voluntarily stepped on the block when I asked her to in order to backdoor Cat is just one example of what a powerful and trusting alliance we formed.

Obviously I can’t take complete credit for founding the Buddies. We all made the decision to work together and without our mutual cooperation, it wouldn’t have worked. Poque the only member of the buddies that contacted me first.

I didn’t immediately reach out to Poque because I was concerned that Kash and Cat would anticipate us teaming up after we got close in Everdunes, but I think it’s safe to say that I laid a lot of the groundwork for the formation of the Buddies.

As first HoH, I was put in a complicated position. I wanted to be able to make big moves, but with Bags exiting the game my hands were tied as far as who was going home that week. Putting Sniper on the block with Bags caused some long term problems in that it immediately set a negative tone to our relationship, but I don’t think I could have made a better decision in the circumstances.

However, I didn’t waste my HoH. I used it to pull in GGN and AA and was able to build a strong enough connection with them that by the end of it, they were willing to invite me into their alliance. As far as I’m aware, I was the first person to infiltrate the group that became the biggest threat to the Buddies over the course of the game.

Going into GASSS(GenericGirlName, Anomalous Amalgam, Steak, Sal, and Somber), I knew I was going to have to burn them at some point. There just weren’t enough people in the game for me to avoid targeting them eventually. I anticipated that I would always be at the bottom of that alliance, and so rather than joining them in earnest, I made the decision that I was going to get as much use out of GASSS as I could and then cut ties when possible.

AA brought in Sniper and Poque to the alliance thereafter. I like to think I played a part in that, but unfortunately I can’t go back and check the receipts. Poque entering the alliance then known as SEELE gave me a ton of lateral movement. As long as he was embedded, I could do whatever I needed to, so I did.

Mikujin completely reversed the flow of the game, swinging things away from the Kash v Steak tension that was building up with his random nominations. Those nominations pissed off pretty much everyone in the game, and put me in a challenging position. Between GGN and Teland, I had to make a tough decision. This was one of the hardest moments in the game for me. Part of the problem was, I genuinely really liked GGN. It was not easy to vote against her. I knew with how the votes would play out that I had room to safely vote for Teland and GGN would still go home, but I decided to stay 100% loyal to my core alliance. While I might have been a snake at times, I valued that core group above all else. I think that decision is what saved me in the long run.

So, I lied and said Sniper’s vote was mine. I did not expect this to fool Sal for any length of time, but by setting myself up as the villain, I gave Poque more room to maneuver and embed himself deeper in the enemy camp. Poque just told a version of the truth when asked about his vote. I don’t think he would have been able to operate as effectively as a spy if I hadn’t acted as cover for him.

Obviously this is really scummy, but from a gameplay perspective, I think it was very effective.

If I had one regret, it’s that I was an rear end in a top hat about it. Sal, being a genuinely nice guy and kind human, took the initiative to rebuild bridges afterwards. While we definitely have a had a rocky relationship, I think it speaks volumes that we were able to come back from that and work together to an extent moving forward.

And really, that’s the core of my case here. I made scummy moves at times, I wasn’t always perfect, but everyone decided to keep me in the game because my social game was on point. It’s not at all like I was a floater either. I came at Cat and Kash hard when the timing was right and I stuck the landing. Both of them are tremendous players and I was able to get out ahead of them. GASS/SEELE/The Snake Crew could have come at me after the GGN vote, but instead I was able to keep the momentum on other players until the Buddies had an unassailable advantage.

I got hit with isolation from the Gift Exchange challenge, and then shortly after I got hit with HoH isolation in a room with Sniper, who would have been happy enough to send me home. Not only was I in isolation, I was in isolation on the block. That meant no campaigning while I was in a position of serious vulnerability. Yet I stayed.

I lost the final 4 competition, but both Hats and Teland told Poque they would rather I keep playing. So I stayed.

I lost the endurance competition. I lost part two of the final HoH competition. I think if I had won one of those but lost any other challenges, I wouldn’t be here. I was able to position myself so that Poque thought it was the correct decision to bring me here. I resisted the urge to campaign to Poque immediately following my losses, and instead gave him the support and space to come to the conclusion that I was the person he could beat in final two. I stayed in the game, and here I am.

From the final five forward, Poque had no real allies. Initially, Hats wanted to keep him until the final four, but he changed his mind. I think I’m a big part of that. Poque stayed in the game because he won challenges. He's won more competitions this season than anyone in any season of Awful Big Brother. That’s very impressive, but it means that his social game was weak. Poque had to win challenges to survive. I survived because I played the social better.

Poque brought me here because he thought Hats was the bigger threat in the final two. He was wrong. While I cherish his friendship and I wish him nothing but the best in life, I am the better player. I hope you agree with me.

Now, let’s bash.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hi everybody! This game was really fun and I had a great time playing, scheming, and talking with all of you. I want to thank you all for making this game as incredible as it was, and I want to thank the mods - especially Asiina - for running a hell of a game. I'm looking forward to debriefing both now and in the post-game and I know that we all have a lot to say in both of those, so let's get to it.

I came into this game knowing that I had a reputation as a challenge beast and I could either choose to try to hide it and play completely socially, or I could own it and do what I could to advance my way through the game on that strength. I wasn't sold on the strategy I was going to take until I was playing in the first veto challenge, intending to throw it and... I couldn't. Even though winning the challenge wasn't the best overall move for me at the time, It was clear to me that it was way more fun to play this game balls-to-the-wall, and if I could make it work alongside a social game to get me further in the game, I was going to do it and I was going to have fun doing it. That combination of the two strategies worked very well for me as I was able to play my game - I played aggressively, but with enough of a social and strategic edge to keep myself off the block even in the weeks where I didn't have safety as a result of a challenge win.

I want to pinpoint a few of what I consider my best moments and moves of the game, where I really dictated the overall flow and made the landscape of the game much more favorable to getting me to this very point.

1. Not making a sub-alliance within my main alliance of four. During Final 5, Sal incredulously asked me why I hadn't made any final two arrangements within my main alliance of four. This had been a strategy of mine from the beginning. My reason for not building any sub-alliances in the Bonsai Buddies was twofold - first, I didn't want to give the alliance any incentive to turn on itself earlier than it had to. If people start setting up arrangements, they are intentionally introducing cracks into that alliance that social players could try to break. When you make what you expect to be your main alliance, you have to give trust to get trust back. This was my unspoken way of giving the trust, and it was repaid to me for the majority of the game in our complete and utter silence about the existence of the alliance. Second, I was comfortable with this aspect of my strategy given my strength in challenges, and I consider it a success that the others in my alliance were unwilling or unable to try to break it up before Final 5.

2. Winning both challenges in Week 5, the last week before evictees made the jury. I came into this week with two main groups and one strong partnership - I was in Bonsai Buddies with Somber, Hats, and Teland, I was in the offshoot of GASS with Sal, Steak, and Dan, and I had a final two partnership with Cat. This left Meinberg and Kash out, and I nominated the two of them. This made the Week 5 White Elephant veto challenge an incredibly crucial challenge for me or one of my allies to win - and Somber/Teland/Steak went out 1-2-3! In what would become a pattern shortly after this week was over, I had to do it myself, and I did. By winning the veto, I didn't have to expose any of those three groups as the weakest in my game, Meinberg went home pre-jury, and I had minimized my chances of Week 6's HOH doing something that could stop me. I had overextended my reach among my allies, but still managed to play my way out of a situation and come out of Week 5 in even better shape than I went in.

3. Working to get Steak to nominate Kash in Week 7. Steak winning HOH was good for my individual game, but NOT good for my overall game. He also immediately made a promise not to put Kash up for the third straight week, which meant that his only realistic options for the block were Somber, Teland, and Hats, and I wanted to avoid losing any of them. Sal and I were in the HOH room with him, but we immediately started talking in PMs about how this wasn't good and we needed to convince him that Kash was still a good target to put up on the block. Ultimately we did - Kash went up on the block, I won the veto to prevent him from coming OFF the block, and he was voted out. Nobody else in Bonsai Buddies could do this - direct communication with Steak was limited to myself and Sal. This ended up being a huge turning point going into the Week 8 HOH competition because it meant that the Bonsai Buddies had four of the six participants in what ultimately turned out to be a coconut chop challenge. Hats took home the win and at this point the rest of the game could do very little to stop our group of four - this was the last HOH before Final 6 and given the strength of my alliance with Hats, it meant that I had made it to the portion of the game where RNG is no longer a part of Veto challenge participation.

4. Winning F5 Veto. As I alluded to in my sub-alliance section above, I would have gone home at F5 had I not won the Veto. It was my first time on the block, and Sal let me know that I was the target. None of the Buddies did much to assuage my concerns, which led me to believe Sal's claim. I was really steamed about this - my stated goal to bring the Buddies to four was legit! I can't fault them for the attempt, though - at this point I had already won a fuckload of challenges and we were well beyond the point of everybody remaining in the game not wanting to sit next to me at the Final 2. I won the Veto, IRL freaked out and ran off to the gym to blow off some adrenaline, and had my suspicions confirmed when nobody in the main Buddies chat celebrated my win and instead were publicly discussing their next move. I was all ready to vote for Hats - my replacement on the block - out of spite, but I found out that he was the only one of the other three Buddies who was pushing to keep me until 4, so I decided not to force the tie. Additionally, it felt way too on-the-nose-two-faced to be indignant about that exactly one cycle after I pulled the same poo poo - this wasn't an immediate realization, though, and if the cycle had been one real-life day shorter, I may not have calmed down enough to make this choice.

The most obvious aspect of my game is my total challenge domination - I participated in 19 challenges this season and won TWELVE of them, including at least one HOH or Veto challenge in every cycle since Week 6. But that wouldn't have been possible if I weren't directing this game to take a path that was most advantageous to getting me to the end - I am the only player who can make the claim that they executed upon their complete plan to make this game their own from beginning to end, and in doing so I was never on the block when it was time to vortvote.

In that very first veto challenge when I fully decided not to throw, I said in my confessional, "gently caress it. I changed my mind because winning is cool." I still think winning is cool and I would like to get one more win out of this game before it's over. I believe that I deserve to win this game and I hope you will finally cast your votes for me and help me win this game.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Heyyyy you two!

It's been a while, huh?

Yeah. I'm sure you two are just raring to get going -- adrenaline going straight through you. As the first juror, it's my job to say -- this game is still live. I think there are scenarios tonight where each of you can win. So... now that luck doesn't matter for me, I guess good luck to you both. And without further ado -- time for the knives to come out, kupo.

Somber

Bet you weren't expecting to see your name here first, huh? But... it is first. And you were first in the game for me, too. I don't know if you realize this -- but when I went to you and Teland at the start of the game, that was what I was hoping could be my trio. My core, the people that I really wanted to play this game with, alongside... and then you didn't even give me the time of day. There was absolutely nothing from you in a way that made me certain that you were against me from the very start, and that's extremely disheartening as someone who would consider herself to be your friend, kupo.

And then you used your HoH to backdoor me. I mean, I knew you were against me at the time, but dang. It still kinda stung -- not that you were after me, but that you would be so obvious about it and still not say a thing to my face. I mean, congratulations on winning those two comps, they were big, obviously. But now it's the end of the game, and you're looking for four votes -- and I'm a juror! Did that not, like, play into your thoughts about this game? It really doesn't seem like you thought about connecting with people outside of your group, though obviously my perspective is... skewed, kupo.

I've got two questions for you, Somber:
1. Do you have any regrets with the way that you handled me, specifically, in this game?
2. Who would you have put up at the F9 had I won veto and taken down Kash?

Poque

Poque. Poque, Poque, Poque.

You seem like the type of person who reads everything, so I'm sure that you've read through Somber's and I'm sure you read that last bit. And I think the direct opposite of it applies to you -- I think you were obviously excellent at keeping connections with practically everyone, there was nobody who would say a bad word about you. Even if I did try and lead people that way sometimes, kupo...

But that's not the point. The point of that is that -- I don't know if that's the best way to play either, because I'm pretty sure at least five of the jurors could say "well, I think Poque could've saved me, but he didn't, I thought we were aligned..." You know. Stuff like that. Because you were aligned everywhere. You won an insane amount of vetoes and a few other comps, but most of the game, I don't think you needed that power. You would've been able to skate by, but you wanted that ability to influence things. And you did! You influenced a lot -- everyone knows that the time you have the most power is when you win HoH and veto in the same week. You did that twice. The second time was F4, and Hats evicted Teland. The first time... was back at the F10 -- you put up Meinberg and Kashuno, and left your nominations the same, even though at least a few people really wanted me backdoored. But you didn't, you kept me, having all the power... and then let me go the next time, next to one of the people you nominated. It was... confusing, to say the least. I understand the shadow of "threat", but I also think you recognize the value in keeping in that shadow, making sure your own target is diminshed in comparison, kupo.

But I'm rambling. I need to know things from you. What did you want in this game, Poque? What was real?

1. Who did you want to be evicted at F10 and why?
2. What happened at F9 that made you willing to give me up over Kash?

I know I wrote, uh.... probably too much, here. But the questions themselves are simple, so I think you should both be fine about responding within the limit. The jury is waiting. Time to step up, kupo.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

curiousCat posted:

Poque

Poque. Poque, Poque, Poque.

You seem like the type of person who reads everything, so I'm sure that you've read through Somber's and I'm sure you read that last bit. And I think the direct opposite of it applies to you -- I think you were obviously excellent at keeping connections with practically everyone, there was nobody who would say a bad word about you. Even if I did try and lead people that way sometimes, kupo...

But that's not the point. The point of that is that -- I don't know if that's the best way to play either, because I'm pretty sure at least five of the jurors could say "well, I think Poque could've saved me, but he didn't, I thought we were aligned..." You know. Stuff like that. Because you were aligned everywhere. You won an insane amount of vetoes and a few other comps, but most of the game, I don't think you needed that power. You would've been able to skate by, but you wanted that ability to influence things. And you did! You influenced a lot -- everyone knows that the time you have the most power is when you win HoH and veto in the same week. You did that twice. The second time was F4, and Hats evicted Teland. The first time... was back at the F10 -- you put up Meinberg and Kashuno, and left your nominations the same, even though at least a few people really wanted me backdoored. But you didn't, you kept me, having all the power... and then let me go the next time, next to one of the people you nominated. It was... confusing, to say the least. I understand the shadow of "threat", but I also think you recognize the value in keeping in that shadow, making sure your own target is diminshed in comparison, kupo.

But I'm rambling. I need to know things from you. What did you want in this game, Poque? What was real?

1. Who did you want to be evicted at F10 and why?
2. What happened at F9 that made you willing to give me up over Kash?

I know I wrote, uh.... probably too much, here. But the questions themselves are simple, so I think you should both be fine about responding within the limit. The jury is waiting. Time to step up, kupo.

Hey Cat. I appreciate these questions, the answers are something I was considering putting in my intro speech.

1. I wanted Kash to go home at F10 because I was playing that HOH as the final pre-jury vote. As I mentioned in my intro, I was aligned with 7 of the other 9 people in the house at Final 10 and I put Meinberg and Kashuno on the block. I felt that if I could get through that cycle without blowing up my spot with any of the other 7, I was minimizing some immediate risk as the person who went home would not be on the jury, and the person who stayed would likely be the only person who could win F9 HOH and be likely to put me up. Whether or not this is true, I don't know. Meinberg had described themselves as not a challenge threat at all and I was convinced that they were willing themselves into challenge losses - if that pattern continued, they were unlikely to win that HOH and put me up as revenge. I was surprised when Meinberg went home over Kash, but ultimately my goal was for nobody else to have to go up on the block, and I succeeded in that.

2. I didn't want you to go over Kash to begin with. I wanted to do what I could to help you stay in the game, but it was functionally impossible after you blew up the HOH room immediately following the Veto ceremony. At this point, you had blown up your chances to get votes in your favor from either Dan or Teland - they both told me that they had already locked in. This sacrifice was in hopes that you could get votes in your favor from myself, Hats, Steak, and Sal. I was on the record to both you and Kash that I was voting for Kash, and I was also on the record with both of you that I didn't think it would matter if I voted for Kash. Hats was hard-set on his vote against you so I knew it was a lost cause.

Later on, I heard from Sal that my explicitly-stated vote was being used by you and Steak in a potential bamboozle to get Hats to change his vote in a way to fake a force tie - tell Hats that Sal is voting for Cat, and beg Hats to vote for Kash to get to the "tie" that you were after. I actually really liked this play! What I didn't like was that I had heard it secondhand. You and I had both been talking the whole time about our F2 alliance but I don't think either of us truly believed it - I wanted to keep you around for exactly what you just said, it helps to have a shadow of power in front of you. But the fact that I didn't hear this from either you (or Steak) meant that if you pulled it off, you would actually self-fulfill on that sort of "prophecy" of becoming too powerful to keep around. I wanted you to stay, but you staying would mean that you were too threatening to actually stay. That's why I ended up casting my vote for you to just put it to rest that this play couldn't happen. I didn't change until the last fifteen minutes or so. It was a stressful time.

Can't wait to catch up after the game.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

curiousCat posted:

Heyyyy you two!

It's been a while, huh?

Yeah. I'm sure you two are just raring to get going -- adrenaline going straight through you. As the first juror, it's my job to say -- this game is still live. I think there are scenarios tonight where each of you can win. So... now that luck doesn't matter for me, I guess good luck to you both. And without further ado -- time for the knives to come out, kupo.

Somber

Bet you weren't expecting to see your name here first, huh? But... it is first. And you were first in the game for me, too. I don't know if you realize this -- but when I went to you and Teland at the start of the game, that was what I was hoping could be my trio. My core, the people that I really wanted to play this game with, alongside... and then you didn't even give me the time of day. There was absolutely nothing from you in a way that made me certain that you were against me from the very start, and that's extremely disheartening as someone who would consider herself to be your friend, kupo.

And then you used your HoH to backdoor me. I mean, I knew you were against me at the time, but dang. It still kinda stung -- not that you were after me, but that you would be so obvious about it and still not say a thing to my face. I mean, congratulations on winning those two comps, they were big, obviously. But now it's the end of the game, and you're looking for four votes -- and I'm a juror! Did that not, like, play into your thoughts about this game? It really doesn't seem like you thought about connecting with people outside of your group, though obviously my perspective is... skewed, kupo.

I've got two questions for you, Somber:
1. Do you have any regrets with the way that you handled me, specifically, in this game?
2. Who would you have put up at the F9 had I won veto and taken down Kash?

Hi Kupo!

I do consider you a friend, and I like you a lot! However, after playing Survivor with you, I recognized you as my #1 threat going into this game. I got really close with you back during Awful Survivor TVIV and you played me effortlessly for a long, long time. I knew you were a challenge beast, I knew you were a social threat, and I knew that, if push came to shove, you would beat me this game.

I could have said it straight to your face, but I didn't. I didn't want to leave anything to chance, your eviction was probably my biggest single move in the game and I thought that if anything could go wrong, it would go wrong. I wasn't going to pretend to be your friend and then backstab you, so instead I chose to take a step back from talking with you. It was hard, but I just wasn't willing to betray you like that. My hope was, and still is, that you'll vote for the person you think played the best game.

I do have regrets. I wish I was skilled enough that I could have out and out beat you in a fair fight. I wish we could have been friends this game. But, I made the decisions I thought were best for my game, and here we are. I'm sorry Kupo. I hope we have the chance to play together again.

I would have put up steak at that point, that would have been the safest option.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

WE STAND AT THE PRECIPICE OF A NEW ERA. THE GALACTIC THRONE HAS BEEN RETURNED TO ITS RIGHTFUL HOLDER. SOON THE PATHETIC RESISTANCE SHALL BE CRUSHED, ONCE AND FOR ALL. IT IS TOO LATE TO SAVE YOURSELVES. THE EMPRESS WILL JUDGE YOU WITHOUT MERCY. PRAY TO YOUR FALSE GODS FOR YOUR SALVATION. I HAVE NO MORE NEED OF THIS PLACE.

PERHAPS TWO SMALL QUESTIONS BEFORE I GO. A PROPER BOOKEND TO THIS STORY. A BEGINNING AND AN END. AN ALPHA AND AN OMEGA.

SOMBER—WHEN YOU FORST CONTACTED MY PUPPET, “HATS”... YOU STATED HE WAS THE PERSON, MORE THAN ANY OTHER, THAT YOU WISHED TO WORK WITH. EXPAND UPON THAT CHOICE, AND YOUR PLANS IN THE LEAD-UP TO THE GAME. CLEARLY, YOU PICKED A STRONG ALLIANCE. BUT WHY THE PEOPLE YOU CHOSE?

AND YOU, THE DREADPOQUE. THE FINAL CHOICE WAS IN YOUR HANDS. EXPLAIN THE FACTORS THAT LED YOU TO MAKING THE DECISION YOU DID. THE WHITE DRAGON DOES NOT LOOK KINDLY ON BETRAYAL.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Lord of Hats posted:

WE STAND AT THE PRECIPICE OF A NEW ERA. THE GALACTIC THRONE HAS BEEN RETURNED TO ITS RIGHTFUL HOLDER. SOON THE PATHETIC RESISTANCE SHALL BE CRUSHED, ONCE AND FOR ALL. IT IS TOO LATE TO SAVE YOURSELVES. THE EMPRESS WILL JUDGE YOU WITHOUT MERCY. PRAY TO YOUR FALSE GODS FOR YOUR SALVATION. I HAVE NO MORE NEED OF THIS PLACE.

PERHAPS TWO SMALL QUESTIONS BEFORE I GO. A PROPER BOOKEND TO THIS STORY. A BEGINNING AND AN END. AN ALPHA AND AN OMEGA.

SOMBER—WHEN YOU FORST CONTACTED MY PUPPET, “HATS”... YOU STATED HE WAS THE PERSON, MORE THAN ANY OTHER, THAT YOU WISHED TO WORK WITH. EXPAND UPON THAT CHOICE, AND YOUR PLANS IN THE LEAD-UP TO THE GAME. CLEARLY, YOU PICKED A STRONG ALLIANCE. BUT WHY THE PEOPLE YOU CHOSE?

AND YOU, THE DREADPOQUE. THE FINAL CHOICE WAS IN YOUR HANDS. EXPLAIN THE FACTORS THAT LED YOU TO MAKING THE DECISION YOU DID. THE WHITE DRAGON DOES NOT LOOK KINDLY ON BETRAYAL.

:allears:

Hello White Dragon. After I won FInal 4 Veto as the HOH winner, I asked Somber, Hats, and Teland to all PM me who they would vote for if I were to use the veto on them (or, in Hats' case, if I were to close the veto box without using it). I had already asked them all during the day before this who they were leaning towards voting, but I wanted them to solidify it. At the time, I was looking for either Hats or Teland to say that they would vote out Somber, but they each kept to their original word and said that they were planning on voting for each other - Teland specifically said that she wouldn't lie or change just to get the veto, which was probably the most impressive thing I saw out of anybody this entire game. That said, when it came down to F3, I began to realize that a lot of yourHats' moves were morale and fun-based - having fun with everybody, making White Dragon puzzles, and not making many enemies; whereas if I had made enemies on the jury, I was reasonably sure that Somber had made the exact same enemies. If this were the case, it made much more sense to bring Somber to the end.

Somber told me that he played a "Diet Poque" game, which is a good strategy. Unfortunately, it is not a winning strategy if you can't manage to get rid of the real thing.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

The Lord of Hats posted:

Dragon, I found your vessel Hats to be a most honorable and genuine soul when our paths crossed previously. I knew that if I was going to go all the way to the end, I needed someone I could absolutely trust. In Everdunes, together Hats and I(mostly Hats) were able to work together to find a solution that everyone found agreeable. In Everdunes, a game rife with betrayal and dissent. That's powerful.

I think it's safe to say that the Buddies alliance came together because we had a strong, established rapport. We had worked well together in the past and we worked well together here. I believe that this strong foundation was essential for the success of our alliance. Who could I trust more than you three?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys! I'll keep this quick because tonight is about you not about me~ Poque, you were friendly but every word you said to me all game was a lie! Somber, you were honest and I appreciate that even though we didn't talk much! I had a hard time thinking about what I could ask either of you, and I realized everything in this game that you've already done is what lead me to the decision I had thought I had surely made! Luckily, I did think of a previous shared experience that could give me some insight into how you view yourselves and each other!

Poque, How would Xavier feel about how you and how Somber played this game and why?
Somber, How would Brodsky feel about how you and how Poque played this game and why?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Kashuno posted:

Hey guys! I'll keep this quick because tonight is about you not about me~ Poque, you were friendly but every word you said to me all game was a lie! Somber, you were honest and I appreciate that even though we didn't talk much! I had a hard time thinking about what I could ask either of you, and I realized everything in this game that you've already done is what lead me to the decision I had thought I had surely made! Luckily, I did think of a previous shared experience that could give me some insight into how you view yourselves and each other!

Poque, How would Xavier feel about how you and how Somber played this game and why?
Somber, How would Brodsky feel about how you and how Poque played this game and why?

Brodsky understood valuing a few close relationships above all else. Xavier was who Brodsky trusted the most, and when that relationship ended it drove them pretty crazy! I think Brodsky would have been very upset with me for wanting to cut Poque at F5, but also they would have been too distracted to ever figure that out.

Poque was a host unto himself. Brodsky would admire that, but also would be pretty scared by it! Luckily, Brodsky and I are both good at making friends with powerful people. Honestly I think they would have been buds no matter what, because Brodsky was almost always your friend from the get-go until you gave them a reason not to be.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kashuno posted:

I think Xavier would feel a kindred soul with how Somber played the game, because like you said, Somber was honest with you. It stood out in the Jury Quiz challenge when you said that your favorite thing in the game was Somber just giving you a hard no when you tried to reach out to him. Xavier was blunt, and he wasn't interested in bullshitting just to get ahead. He wanted to do it on his own terms but he wasn't going to string people along to do it, and I think Somber played that game, at least with regard to how he approached his conversations with you.

I think Xavier might be a little...in awe of how I played this game? I don't want that to sound as lovely as it looks, but I went into Everdunes anticipating to play Xavier the way I played this game - get ahead by the means that were available. It just didn't work out. He ended up being way to naive - and I think a naive person looking at my game here would just be like, drat. Homeboy wants to win this and he wants it bad (Xavier would never say "homeboy" though). It's kind of odd to me, thinking about it now, that in the roleplaying game, I was unable to play the lying game, but in the game where I'm playing as myself, I was able to do it. FRGs bring out the cutthroat nature in me.

I had a good time playing this game with you and after it's over I wanna talk one-on-one about it, because I petered out in communication near the end and I have been unhappy with how I handled that ever since.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys! Long time no see! I was sort of hoping the F2 would be people I have no reason to be annoyed with, but oh well. Not that I’m annoyed with either of you personally, but realizing post-eviction that my entire game was just a stepping stone for the Poque alliance (yes, we’re calling it that now) kind of sucks. There’s a lot of spite that comes along with something like that. Spite that very much doesn’t want to see either of you rewarded for your gameplay. That being said, I have to vote for one of you, and I’m still very much undecided. So let’s get to the questions.

Poque:
Obviously, you deserve to be here. Am I happy about that? No. I put my blind faith in you, and you flipped on me. I told you not to use the veto on me because it would betray that we were aligned, but you weren’t going to anyway, were you? I feel like a loving moron for trusting you and to tell the truth, I really really don’t want to see you win after that.

My question for you is this. Leaving comp wins aside for a sec, why should I, Steak, specifically me and nobody else, want you to win?

Somber:
Something that came up in the jury house was a fact that Rob Cesternino discusses on his podcast, about how juries will tend to vote for a winner who they feel best represents their season. Jurors don’t want the season they played to feel like a waste, or end up forgotten because of a lackluster winner. A huge factor that goes into juror decisions is simply the fact that they want their season to be seen as “fair”, which means that the winner achieved their win through skill.

My question for you is, how would you represent this season of Awful Big Brother better than Poque?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mr. Steak posted:

Hey guys! Long time no see! I was sort of hoping the F2 would be people I have no reason to be annoyed with, but oh well. Not that I’m annoyed with either of you personally, but realizing post-eviction that my entire game was just a stepping stone for the Poque alliance (yes, we’re calling it that now) kind of sucks. There’s a lot of spite that comes along with something like that. Spite that very much doesn’t want to see either of you rewarded for your gameplay. That being said, I have to vote for one of you, and I’m still very much undecided. So let’s get to the questions.

Poque:
Obviously, you deserve to be here. Am I happy about that? No. I put my blind faith in you, and you flipped on me. I told you not to use the veto on me because it would betray that we were aligned, but you weren’t going to anyway, were you? I feel like a loving moron for trusting you and to tell the truth, I really really don’t want to see you win after that.

My question for you is this. Leaving comp wins aside for a sec, why should I, Steak, specifically me and nobody else, want you to win?

To answer the side question, I was not going to use the veto on you that week. I would like to say that it was a gift that you told me not to, but my play there ultimately fostered more bad feelings because of it.

Steak, I approached you in week 1 because of your intro in this thread. You were a hardcore BB fan and you were a name I hadn't seen before, and I thought you'd be a really fun person to play with. I was right - it just didn't happen right away. Nothing really came out of our conversation in week 1 aside from opening the line of communication - it wasn't until week 2 when AA invited me and Dan into the Seele server that we really started playing together. I think you should want me to win this competition because once that server was made available to me and we had the conversation about your very visible Final Four chat that was in there, we still kept playing together despite it being a known quantity that I wasn't in your inner circle - in fact, I was considering myself at the very bottom of this potential group of seven in this server, and I am certain that if you had to rank everybody in there at that time, you would have agreed. The fact that I was on the bottom of that large group - which outnumbered the rest of the game! - but still played a game that let me beast my way to the end with strategy and strength should be rewarded. Even after the next few weeks made it so you had to come to me and Dan to rebuild your inner circle, you had to know at that point that A) I would have had an inner circle of my own at the time and B) it would be incredibly obvious that I would STILL be at the bottom of any sort of new final four deal there. I don't think you were giving me the sort of deal that you thought you were giving me.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mr. Steak posted:

Somber:
Something that came up in the jury house was a fact that Rob Cesternino discusses on his podcast, about how juries will tend to vote for a winner who they feel best represents their season. Jurors don’t want the season they played to feel like a waste, or end up forgotten because of a lackluster winner. A huge factor that goes into juror decisions is simply the fact that they want their season to be seen as “fair”, which means that the winner achieved their win through skill.

My question for you is, how would you represent this season of Awful Big Brother better than Poque?

Hi Steak! It has been a minute, hasn't it?

It's kind of funny to call the Bonsai Buddies 'The Poque Alliance.' Poque did a lot of work for the group, that's for sure! However, his challenge success also made him the player with the weakest connection to the Bonsai Buddies. It should say something that even though we were rock solid through most of the game, the Bonsai Buddies were ready to cut Poque at final five. Heck, I think even at F6 Teland I were talking about it. Poque said it himself, he went hard because he couldn't help himself. He couldn't stop himself from winning even when it was the wrong game move. Challenges defined Poque's game. Challenge successes gave him a lot of control over the flow of the game, heck he only ended up on the block once! Not that his successes aren't an impressive accomplishment, but are challenges all that should define Big Brother?

If Poque wins this season, it will be because of his challenge success, not his social game. By voting for me, you're acknowledging that the social game is above all the most important factor in Big Brother. A vote for me says that you don't have to be the fastest player or the smartest player, you have to be the most socially adept player in order to win.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Somber

I regret our relationship this game. I'm still not sure why I got chosen to be the straw puppet for the first gimme eviction, but you're right that it cast a negative shadow over the rest of it. Which is a shame! I felt like we hadn't talked for a while, and I was excited to have a chance to chill with you. So we basically existed in a state of slowly deteriorating neutrality, which intensified after you claimed my vote - to this day Sal and I still aren't sure if that was intentional, though I can't see how it could have been. I don't really have anything to say here, other than that I hope you stick around in other venues so we can continue to hang, cause when you're not being a rude boy you're pretty cool I suppose. I guess my questions are:

1. How's it going?
2. How was your day?

Poque

In her introduction, Kupo said the following

quote:

Why will you win this game?: I probably won't. But if I do, it'll be because I found people that I could share trust with.

For most of this game I was confident in my chances because I believed I had found that person. I thought we had created something early on that would last, surviving Boy's Day, surviving the Cabal, surviving the White Dragon, all the way to the end.

I was wrong.

Reading your final post, it appears what I thought of as a F2 was no more than an afterthought for you, just one more tool in your rather impressive chest of patsies. Bravo. Seriously.

When you won HOH at T6, I celebrated - we were finally going to crack the Teland/Somber alliance, and then there was little to stop us from rolling to F2. Sure, we had disagreed on the Steak/Somber vote, but I believed it was just a question of AB versus BA.

Then Sal told me that fateful morning that Somber had told him about the Buddies, and then Hats confirmed we were on the block. I'll skip the emotions that followed but I couldn't be too mad in the end (read: after a few days) - turnabout is fair play, and I can't complain about getting got by the same strategy I had been using all game. Still, only fair to twist the knife a little here at the end, right?

So two questions for you:

1. Knowing you were going to have to shank me from the very start, which part of our partnership caused you the most regret?
2. Would you change any part of your play, knowing what you know now?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

sniper4625 posted:

Somber

I regret our relationship this game. I'm still not sure why I got chosen to be the straw puppet for the first gimme eviction, but you're right that it cast a negative shadow over the rest of it. Which is a shame! I felt like we hadn't talked for a while, and I was excited to have a chance to chill with you. So we basically existed in a state of slowly deteriorating neutrality, which intensified after you claimed my vote - to this day Sal and I still aren't sure if that was intentional, though I can't see how it could have been. I don't really have anything to say here, other than that I hope you stick around in other venues so we can continue to hang, cause when you're not being a rude boy you're pretty cool I suppose. I guess my questions are:

1. How's it going?
2. How was your day?

Hi Dan!

1. It's going okay, I feel sad that I caused some bad feeling over the course of the game, and that's a big bummer. Going into Big Brother, you know you're going to make enemies, but it still doesn't feel very nice. I put you up with bags because I thought our out of game relationship was strong enough that we could still be allies and friends, especially given that it was a gimme eviction. I didn't put you up because I didn't care about you, I put you up because I thought we were solid friends. I don't think I communicated that clearly enough to you, and then after that the damage had been done and we couldn't recover. I'm sorry.

2. My day was not the best, I was trying to focus all my attention on this and then I had to drive into work to write someone up. Yikes! I'm hoping it gets better though :)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

sniper4625 posted:

Somber

1. How's it going?
2. How was your day?

Poque

In her introduction, Kupo said the following

For most of this game I was confident in my chances because I believed I had found that person. I thought we had created something early on that would last, surviving Boy's Day, surviving the Cabal, surviving the White Dragon, all the way to the end.

I was wrong.

Reading your final post, it appears what I thought of as a F2 was no more than an afterthought for you, just one more tool in your rather impressive chest of patsies. Bravo. Seriously.

When you won HOH at T6, I celebrated - we were finally going to crack the Teland/Somber alliance, and then there was little to stop us from rolling to F2. Sure, we had disagreed on the Steak/Somber vote, but I believed it was just a question of AB versus BA.

Then Sal told me that fateful morning that Somber had told him about the Buddies, and then Hats confirmed we were on the block. I'll skip the emotions that followed but I couldn't be too mad in the end (read: after a few days) - turnabout is fair play, and I can't complain about getting got by the same strategy I had been using all game. Still, only fair to twist the knife a little here at the end, right?

So two questions for you:

1. Knowing you were going to have to shank me from the very start, which part of our partnership caused you the most regret?
2. Would you change any part of your play, knowing what you know now?

Hey Dan. I think you're right in your assessment here and I'm really sorry. It wasn't easy and was very much the hardest part of the game for me.

1. The part of our partnership that caused me the most regret was having to end it myself. Big Brother is a much stranger animal than Survivor, because in Big Brother you can often rely on others to do your dirty work for you by virtue of being unable to win back to back HOHs. While I was building alliances in the early game, I was really hoping that scenarios would evolve in which others from my alliances could do some of the difficult parts for me, but as the game went on, I realized that the only certain way to get the game going in the direction that I wanted was to do it myself. This came to a head at F6 - like Somber said himself, they were considering getting rid of me then, and I knew I wasn't going to be able to compete in the veto challenge due to IRL stuff, and I had a gut feeling that I had to win this or else I was going to be in real danger. Unfortunately, this meant that I had to be the one to stick the knife in your back personally, and I'm really sorry about that. I loved our partnership and often found myself going to talk to you one on one before even going to the Buddies, but I didn't see a path to the end at that point.

2. I wouldn't change the moves, but I would change how I made them. I have significant regrets in this game - the main one is not bringing you and Sal into the HOH room with me after winning the challenge to tell you myself. I don't know if a knife in the front would have hurt less, but it was still a cowardly move and I regret it a lot. I also regret saying that I "accidentally" chopped you in the Lightning Quiz challenge - that was a panic move and it was really insulting. But I think I would still keep the actual mechanics of the moves I made, but do it differently on a social basis.

Teland
Apr 6, 2018

Ah, my co-conspirators. I will always cherish the memories of the time we spent together - secretly discussing j'azz, pruning our bonsai in the dead of night, assigning each other fantastic four characters in hushed, urgent tones.

It had to end, and now as your first outcast form the group I'm asked to choose a Buddy.

Poque
The prize for winning competitions in this game is responsibility. You've had to make a lot of choices - vetoes, nominations, loyalties. What is the most difficult decision you've had to make this game - from a personal perspective and also from a tactical one? Do you regret your choice, or putting yourself in the position to make the choice?

Somber
Since news of the alliance came out, there seems to be a bit of sentiment floating around that it didn't much matter what everyone else did because the Buddies were secretly in control. I know from inside it felt like we were scraping by on pure luck, but I must admit the alliance got us far. Both of you have claim to that group victory, so I can't judge based on that. Please tell me what you consider to be your single biggest personal contribution to the direction of the game, and do the same for Poque, and tell me why yours matters more.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Teland posted:

Somber
Since news of the alliance came out, there seems to be a bit of sentiment floating around that it didn't much matter what everyone else did because the Buddies were secretly in control. I know from inside it felt like we were scraping by on pure luck, but I must admit the alliance got us far. Both of you have claim to that group victory, so I can't judge based on that. Please tell me what you consider to be your single biggest personal contribution to the direction of the game, and do the same for Poque, and tell me why yours matters more.

That's a tough one KT! It is interesting that the others felt like we were totally in control for most of the game. Honestly, I didn't feel that way until you and I worked together to take out Kupo. The numbers were funky enough that back to back losses could have made us vulnerable before then, but by winning two crucial back-to-back challenges, I enabled us to take out what most people would have said was the most dangerous player in the game. It was a huge swing, and we both knew the consequences of failure. The fact that you trusted me enough to step up when I asked you to speaks volumes about the both of us, I think. If anything was the turning point of the game, it was that, and I was at the helm for it. Poque made a lot of calls this game, but I can take credit for perhaps the most crucial nomination and eviction in the game.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Teland posted:

Ah, my co-conspirators. I will always cherish the memories of the time we spent together - secretly discussing j'azz, pruning our bonsai in the dead of night, assigning each other fantastic four characters in hushed, urgent tones.

It had to end, and now as your first outcast form the group I'm asked to choose a Buddy.

Poque
The prize for winning competitions in this game is responsibility. You've had to make a lot of choices - vetoes, nominations, loyalties. What is the most difficult decision you've had to make this game - from a personal perspective and also from a tactical one? Do you regret your choice, or putting yourself in the position to make the choice?

You've specifically asked me for DECISIONS so I won't include the F6 nomination because I had made that decision long ago.

My most difficult tactical decision was deciding that I didn't trust Boys Day as a group of three. I came into the game wanting to spend time with cool people, and Kash and Dan were definitely two people I wanted to talk more. But the circumstances of how it all began really pinged my gut hard, and I had to decide to keep that chat going (until week 5 nominations) while in my head knowing that I didn't believe in it as a solid alliance of three. There were too many small things that added up to me just not trusting it - the server that Kash tried to set up had strange permissions and said there were 7 people in it, and he didn't take my out of asking if it was because of mods...the private chat that spawned from that server's destruction being intensely quiet right after it was created...both Kash and Dan privately telling me that they didn't trust the other one! It was too much. I don't regret that choice because Kash staying in lieu of Meinberg confirmed to me (internally) that he did have that sort of reach in the house. I somewhat regret putting myself in that position, but it's really, really difficult to say no to any early alliances without painting a target on your back. I don't think I could have done it.

My most difficult personal decision was deciding who to veto at F4. I hadn't made any sub-alliances at that point within our group of four (fractured as it may have been at that point, by some accounts), and was leaning toward getting Somber out. When both you and Hats declined to make that decision any easier for me, I had to choose between you and Hats as the person who was going home. You all told me that you expected that I would win if I was sitting next to you, which really pushed the decision to a level of personal that I was uncomfortable with. I really struggled with that and even when I came out of the Veto competition, I didn't have the decision made. I ultimately did my best to turn it from a personal decision into a tactical decision, and I thought you were my biggest threat in the F3 challenge to come and I made the decision that way (I also decided to give that decision to Hats because I wanted him to do another cool drawing). But I'd be lying if it didn't also play into the decision that I talked more 1-on-1 with either Hats or Somber than I did with you, and that's why I think there was a bit of personal in it. I'm sorry. The challenges to come went the way that they did, and ultimately I don't regret the choice or putting myself in the position to make that choice, because otherwise I would've been out the door in a hurry.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Congrats to both of you! Somber, just so you know, my vote is very much up in the air. While I said publically in the house that Poque 100% had my vote that was strategy on my part. You both equally have a chance at my vote. You have both played impressive games and won when you needed to. I wish I could be up there with you, but I trusted the wrong people and thus here I am.

Poque – You unquestionably have a very impressive resume with 3 HoH wins and 7 veto wins. You also won the Endurance Comp as well as the final HoH Comp. You successfully juggled two alliances and were able to play us against each other until one side became redundant for you. You got to know me on a personal level and were able to use that to make sure you had my blind loyalty and could use me until you didn’t need to. I’m not sure that you ever considered me an equal or a threat, but you did a good job of at least making me think you did. Even on my way out you still gave me a life line before ultimately snatching that back too. Teland told me you were never seriously considering voting to evict Hats even as you told me you were. That hurt me on a personal level and that sucked. It made me question if you were ever genuine to me this whole game.

Somber – You also have an impressive resume with 2 HoH wins and 2 Veto wins. There were 11 total veto comps, and between you two you won 9 of them. That’s impressive. You did a good job of making yourself appear to be an unaligned floater. I felt like early on we never got on the same footing with each other and it was unfortunate because I spent a lot of time with you in Snake Chat. That changed when Steak put you on the block. I was happy that we were able to clear the air about your GGN vote and I felt it made our relationship much stronger. I felt like you and your alliance were unnecessarily mean to Sniper and me on our way out and to be honest that really sucked. It wasn’t very fun feeling like the outcast of the whole house. It made me wonder if you even cared about potentially getting my vote at the end.

I have the same question for both of you:

I said on my way out that my final question would revolve around David Bloomberg’s rules for Survivor, and I even posted them so I hope both of you took some time to think about it. I want you both to outline (in one to two sentences per rule) areas you think you excelled at or potential challenges you had. If you feel you have addressed this in a prior answer feel free to just quote the post.

Good luck to both of you

1. "Scheme and plot"

2. "Don’t scheme and plot too much", or "Keep scheming secret and don’t backstab until you need to"

3. "Be flexible"

4. "Don’t let your emotions control you"

5. "Pretend to Be Nice/Play the Social Game (and Keep Your Politics and Controversial Beliefs to Yourself)"

6. "Don’t be too much of a threat"

Appendix B. "The Jury Phase"

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

SalTheBard posted:

Congrats to both of you! Somber, just so you know, my vote is very much up in the air. While I said publically in the house that Poque 100% had my vote that was strategy on my part. You both equally have a chance at my vote. You have both played impressive games and won when you needed to. I wish I could be up there with you, but I trusted the wrong people and thus here I am.

Poque – You unquestionably have a very impressive resume with 3 HoH wins and 7 veto wins. You also won the Endurance Comp as well as the final HoH Comp. You successfully juggled two alliances and were able to play us against each other until one side became redundant for you. You got to know me on a personal level and were able to use that to make sure you had my blind loyalty and could use me until you didn’t need to. I’m not sure that you ever considered me an equal or a threat, but you did a good job of at least making me think you did. Even on my way out you still gave me a life line before ultimately snatching that back too. Teland told me you were never seriously considering voting to evict Hats even as you told me you were. That hurt me on a personal level and that sucked. It made me question if you were ever genuine to me this whole game.

Never considering voting Hats is inaccurate and is what I told the Buddies. I was considering voting to evict Hats. I was STEAMED coming out of that Veto challenge (which I will touch on in point #4 below :) ), and I really want to thank you for allowing me to vent some of that steam to you, especially when it was about betrayal...what I had JUST DONE TO YOU the week before. I said earlier that if it had been an accelerated cycle (i.e. very little time to think about votes following the veto) that I would have voted Hats and that is true - ALSO, if Teland had nominated Somber as my replacement, I 100% would have voted for him even on the timeline that we did get.

SalTheBard posted:

I have the same question for both of you:

I said on my way out that my final question would revolve around David Bloomberg’s rules for Survivor, and I even posted them so I hope both of you took some time to think about it. I want you both to outline (in one to two sentences per rule) areas you think you excelled at or potential challenges you had. If you feel you have addressed this in a prior answer feel free to just quote the post.

Good luck to both of you

1. "Scheme and plot"

2. "Don’t scheme and plot too much", or "Keep scheming secret and don’t backstab until you need to"

3. "Be flexible"

5. "Pretend to Be Nice/Play the Social Game (and Keep Your Politics and Controversial Beliefs to Yourself)"

Appendix B. "The Jury Phase"

1. I think my scheming and plotting speaks for itself both in these answers and with my F6 nominations - I was juggling alliances and doing everything I could to keep the target off myself. I think I was very successful in that, as I was never on the block when it came time to vote, even in the weeks where I hadn't won a challenge. None of the groups were targeting me until it was too late.

2. I fought as long as I could to keep all my scheming a secret until I absolutely had to - and I think keeping that to F7 with Steak and F6 when it all really came out is really impressive.

3. Making as many pacts as I did allowed me that flexibility. If the F7 Lightning Quiz challenge had been won by either you or Dan, I don't think either of you would have put me up on the block at that point - and Somber would have almost certainly gone home if he hadn't won the veto. My game was a lot more flexible than his.

4. This was a really tricky one for me as previously stated - I was on a huge rush of emotions after the F5 piece. But ultimately I do think that calming down and staying the course and getting you out of the game at 5 was big for me - you were a humongous social threat at that point, and I believe that a path to the finals with you, Somber, and Teland in the F4 instead of Hats, Somber and Teland would have been much more difficult. Getting a handle on those emotions helped me realize that.

5. I wasn't ever pretending to be nice, I really enjoyed talking to everybody in this game. I bet if I went back and counted private message lines from the beginning of the game, I shared the most with you. Buddies were a bit disjointed at times because we were often in isolation, but you and I shot the poo poo a LOT and that was really meaningful to me.

6. Hahahahaha. So. Obviously this one is a bit out, but I want to touch on it anyway! I did this in the first half of the game, the pre-jury phrase. I genuinely believe that it's okay to be a threat during those times if everybody believes you are a good threat to have around on your behalf, and that's the sort of game I tried to play. The back half (especially at the end) was predicated on being exactly that much of a threat in order to be able to own the full win at the end, which is what I am trying to complete now.

You also had a 7th rule that you told us that I want to touch on:

7. Know How To Deal With Idols and Advantages.

I only told one person in this entire game, and it wasn't until weeks later, but I had the opportunity to deal with one of these advantages in the game. In Week 5, when I got into HOH room, there was a Pandora's Box waiting for me. This was a really critical week as I've touched on before - I wanted to get through it without doing any sort of damage. Pandora's Box exists as a way to potentially get a critical advantage in the game - and I passed on opening it because I truly did not believe there was anything it could give me that would improve my path to the end. I think this is a huge moment in the maturity of my game, and ultimately I was CORRECT in declining the opportunity.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
1. "Scheme and plot"

Right after I won HoH #1, I went to work. I slowly started building a rapport with GGN and AA that ended up greatly benefiting me. I mean, didn't this really set the tone of the game? As far as I'm aware, I was the first player to infiltrate a major alliance after having formed what proved to be a rock solid F4.

3. "Be flexible"

I think I need to roll these two rules into one for my answer!I know you probably don't view the decision to claim Dan's vote as very deliberate, but the vote between Teland and GGN made me uncomfortable. I realized I didn't want to keep straddling the line between the two alliances and I needed to make a decision, or else I was going to end up making a lot more enemies than I needed to. By making that heel turn and becoming the villain, it gave me an effective out from our alliance and made Poque's position in your alliance stronger. That was a decision I had to make on the fly after seeing the votes come down, and I think I adapted as best I could to the circumstances while maintaining my advantages.

Not wanting to backstab informed a lot of my decisions this game. I know Cat said that she feels like I didn't make an effort with her, but as with Kash, I just wasn't very happy to be lying to someone when they were my target. Obviously this is Big Brother and you're going to have to lie at some point, but I tried to be judicious in when and where I told my lies.

There were a couple points I was very nervous during this game. The isolation periods were very rough on me, and I was extremely anxious from F4 on. However, I never gave in to paranoia. I kept cool and collected in chat, and never let my nerves control my moves. Even when Poque was deciding who to bring to final 2, I knew that if I came on too strong there was a chance he wouldn't bring me. I always tried to give people the space they needed to, while still guiding them to the outcomes I wanted.

Yeah...

Well, obviously I'm not going to evidence where I kept my beliefs to myself 😛 However, let's just put the tiger on the table and yell at it. I was an rear end in a top hat to you. I was an rear end in a top hat to Dan. I regret that immensely. I think it's a black spot on my otherwise sterling social game. I hope our talks afterwards did something to bridge that gap.

I'm definitely a strong competitor when it comes to challenges, just not on Poque's level. To be frank, Poque's challenge success did not do him any favors this game. I won exactly the challenges I needed to and was able to rely on my allies and social game the rest of the way. I think the fact that I'm here after the game I played shows I completely nailed this one.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
That's the last of the jury questions, thank you jurors.

Now it's time for any closing thoughts. Poque, Somber, this is your last chance to address the jury before they vote.

If you have anything else you'd like to say, now is the time.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The last thing I want to say, the last thing I need to say, is that I'm so very grateful to all of you. Thank you for your time, thank you for your patience, and thank you all for making this a wonderful game.

For your viewing pleasure, I had prepared a short presentation. Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU_Q0Egq9bE

If you are currently unable to watch this, here is a transcription:

Hi there! It’s me, Somberbrero, from the Something Awful Dot Com Forums. You may recognize me from such games as ‘Everdunes,’ some Mafia games, ‘Awful Survivor TVIV,’ and this one! Speaking of this game, I had a funny thought the other day. I thought that I should win Awful Big Brother, the third one. That’s this one.

While I have won some Head of Household and Veto competitions, unfortunately Poque’s competition record is a little better than mine.

[look uncomfortable at camera, splice in footage of poque’s record vs. mine]

Winning challenges is super important in big brother, and Poque is very good at it! The thing is, you win challenges so that you can direct the flow of the game. You win challenges to secure your safety and eliminate threats. I won the challenges I needed to and this game went where I wanted it to. Why win more challenges if the point was to make it here?

And yeah, I was safe in part because my Alliance won most of the challenges, but I’m standing here today because I had the strongest social game in the house. Regardless of whether Hats or Poque won final HoH, I was going to go to final 2 no matter what. I was up on the block three times. There were plenty of chances to send me home, but I stayed in the game because I built the right alliances and made the right friends.

I know there’s some players on the jury I didn’t interact with. That was a choice I made early on. I knew that I was going to have to cut some people, so I went for the people I saw as the biggest immediate threats and was content to have some players that I didn’t get that close with. I thought by doing this I could minimize the damage I would do to my relationships over the course of the game. That… mostly worked.

[awkward pause]

Well, look at it this way. Again and again, people have made the choice to keep me in the game. Is that because I’m a goat? No, it’s because I played a great social game. At the final five, every other player was ready to take Pock out of the game. Can you really say that Pock had a strong social game when that was the case?

If you think the winner of Big Brother should be the player who is best at puzzles and flash games, vote for Poque. I won’t pretend like he isn’t the stronger player in challenges. However, Big Brother is a game at its core about social intelligence. If you agree with that, I think you should vote for me.

Cat, I know I did you dirty, but I hope you can respect that I was the one to take you out. I know if I had given you room to breathe, you would have dominated like the apex predator you are.

Kash, I hope my blunt honesty was worth something to you. I have a lot of respect for you and I tried to shoot straight.

Steak, it was a blast getting to know you this game. Your playstyle made this a genuinely exciting game, and I hope I put on half as good as show you would have here.

Dan, I hope we’re still buds. I feel like we really got off on the wrong foot this game and I want you to know regardless of the outcome tonight, I value your friendship.

Sal, I am so glad I got to play with you. I know we had our ups and downs, but getting to know you was an unexpected joy. I went into our alliance intending to backstab you someday, and by the end of it I regretted having not teamed up with you from the start. I definitely grew as a person over the course of this game, in big part from talking with you. You seem like a genuinely great guy. I understand if I don’t have your vote tonight, but I hope I have your respect.

Teland, KT, what can I say here that we haven’t said already? Messaging you back on January 7th was one of the best decisions I could have made. You are a champion and a delight. Even if I don’t get your vote, I’m really happy that we got to spend more time together.

Hats, my brother, one of my biggest regrets is that I wasn’t able to bring you here. While I’m so excited to have this opportunity, I’m sad that you aren’t standing here with me. Thank you for everything you did to help me get here.

Okay, that’s all I got! Kupo, this one’s for you.

[dab, roll credits]

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I really want to thank everybody for playing in this game and for your thoughtful questions to me in this final stage - none of them were throwaways and I answered them honestly. It's a relief to be able to get everything out there, and I know that some of you have been waiting a long time to hear some of these answers. I also want to thank you for not asking us to do any stage plays or vocal recordings like certain jurors had done before...

I've owned my game this whole way - it's impossible not to when you come out swinging the way that I did. I played this game aggressively by design because I wanted to be able to get to the end and say, hey, the game went the way that it did because of me. These moves were made because this was the path that I saw through the game. I wasn't afraid to put that target on my back because I felt that I could back it up, and if I couldn't, I would go out proud of my attempt to play this game in a really difficult way. And back it up is exactly what I did - both through strength in challenges and strength in my social game. Once again, I am the only person in this game who can claim that their game was the one that was played the entire way through.

I didn't play a perfect game. I made some dumb social errors along the way, and I'm really sorry. At times, I let the reality television nature of a game like this go to my head. I hope you believe me when I say that I never meant for any of it to be personal - we came here to play a game, and I came ready to do just that. In spite of these errors, I still think I absolutely played the best game of anybody in the house, and I believe that I deserve your votes to win this game. Nobody wanted to sit next to me at the end - but at the end, Somber is the one who gets to be sitting here with me, and it isn't because of his plans, or his game, or the social strength he claims to have. It's because I didn't vote him out. We carried each other at different points in this game, as any good alliance members do, but we're both here at the end because of my strength, both socially and in challenges. That combination of strength deserves to be recognized as the winner of this game and I hope that you will vote for me to be that winner.

Talk to you all soon!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Thank you to both of you and good luck.

Jurors, it's now up to you. Time for you to PM ME your vote. Don't put it in your confessional, PM me in private.

Remember YOU ARE VOTING FOR A WINNER! THE NAME YOU PUT DOWN SHOULD BE FOR THE PERSON YOU WANT TO WIN.

You have approximately 30 minutes from now to get your votes in.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And while we wait, remember that the real game doesn't end tonight - because after all, the real victory comes with public acclaim beyond what those jury losers think! That's right, my friends - I'm talking about the Awful Big Brother 3 Fan Favorite Award!

...which includes cold hard cash too, yes. Who do you think we are, people that would establish arbitrary rankings for no reason other than ego inflation? Please.

Coming soon to a thread near you after we get this little minor decision between two people sorted out. Stay tuned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

The votes are in and it's time to declare a winner.

Who will win the GRAND PRIZE of $75!

Let's reveal the first vote.