Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Well they were uncommon enough for me to get frustrated at the lack of -well written- ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Ranma fics with queer themes are definitely more popular now than they are back then, yeah.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Ryoga owns

Happosai is terrible, yes, but I always thought Ryoga was pretty terrible too and never understood why he got a pass for his behavior.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

derra posted:

Happosai is terrible, yes, but I always thought Ryoga was pretty terrible too and never understood why he got a pass for his behavior.

Because he's a handsome young boy with a tragic past and some actual positive traits rather than a lovely old man who is entirely defined by his love for sexual assault.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rody One Half posted:

Idk what my favorite arc is but of late I've been thinking about Am I Pretty, the anime-only story where Ranma gets concussed and this happens

Oh my God, I was the same way like 8 months ago. It led to me starting to write a novel, for real, because I'm a trans woman and this series - especially this episode - was big to me as a kid egg. So when I be watched it and it just didn't hold up, I kept spitting it in my head and I ended up trying to figure out how you would make it work. Eventually, it evolved into something completely unrelated. Not done, but my other trans woman friend loved what she saw so far.

The series was big for me as a kid. My brother introduced me to it. We would watch it on Real Player in really shity .avi files. I went out and actually started to buy the manga. This is like one of the first like manga collecting experiences I had. And even though this Series has not aged as well as I would have liked in many regards, it holds a special place in my heart for obvious reasons.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

derra posted:

I'm sure you're correct but I don't remember the bad things Ryoga did, so the Ryoga who lives in my head is still good.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
He transformed into a pig to sleep in the same bed as Akane. Is that what you mean? I think people forgive Ryoga for this because he's still just a child trying to find himself.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
That egregious habit aside, his shifting of blame becomes a lot less palatable as you meet people who act like that in real life. Everyone does it to some extent yes but it is miserable to deal with in large quantities.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Disguising yourself as a pet to sleep with a girl is really, really bad. Repeating it on purpose is even worse. How would Akane feel if she knew?

It's been a while since I read the series, but in addition to that didn't he always act like a Nice Guy to Akane, never confessing, always disparaging Ranma and just being an rear end, even though Ranma (generally but not always) covered for him?

At least Kuno and Mousse were open with their intentions.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Personally I find it completely impossible to really hold Ranma character's morally accountable, generally speaking. It's like trying to pin down the Looney tunes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
every single ranma character is a trash rear end in a top hat, and revels in it

except kasumi

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rody One Half posted:

Personally I find it completely impossible to really hold Ranma character's morally accountable, generally speaking. It's like trying to pin down the Looney tunes.

It's more like Seinfeld, where they all are horrible people.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Speaking of Rumiko Takahashi, how does Inuyasha hold up? I remember liking the early episodes but then losing interest in it after the first season or two. I remember it had some catchy OP/ED songs by bands like Do As Infinity, Every Little Thing, and BoA.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I liked the early stuff where they were fighting weird horror monsters that wouldn't have been out of place as inventions of Junji Ito, but I kinda lost track of it as it got more shoneny.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Koga is presented as a something of a rival for Kagome's affection, but earlier on it was shown that he and his pack of wolf yokai eat people. Did everyone just forget about that? Like, their attack on Rin's village was the original reason Rin died.

Also, I always found it odd that Naraku decided to curse Miroku's family line with one of the most powerful attacks in the show. I bet he regretted that!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

God I hate Inuyasha.

Rumiko made the right decision going back to comedy afterwards with Rinne.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Inuyasha is very bad and made worse by the people who fawn over it, I remember I joined the anime club for a very short period of time in school but realized my mistake when every single other member just wanted to spend the entirety of the club's time watching the entirety of Inuyasha and nothing else

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the cursed spring of the drowned inuyasha fan

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I got curious about what Rumiko Takahashi was doing lately and... why are her last three mangas all about a girl who gets roped into spirit world shenanigans after meeting the title character, a bishonen who fights the supernatural? Also why are none of them in the same universe

edit: ahaha, he's from the past and she found a way to go between past and present and now she's fighting a spider lady who's basically Yura of the Hair and the the spiderweb monk guy rolled into one

Argue fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 27, 2020

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Honestly I haven't followed any of her series since Ranma much - just not that interested in Japanese folklore, and that's all she writes anymore.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Stalin-Chan posted:

This anime made me trans.

Rody One Half posted:

E: I speak for all trans women I think when I say that I too wish there was a magic Chinese spring I could jump in and become a tiny stacked redhead

:hai:

I think I’m gonna read through the manga again and watch the anime since I’ve never watched it. I love this series so much!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Good thread Akane and Shampoo are the best.

Captain Invictus posted:

every single ranma character is a trash rear end in a top hat, and revels in it

except kasumi

Kasumi was just more subtle about it.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Ranma was my first manga as well, and also the first series that I read a TON of fanfiction of, to the point where sometimes I wonder if I remember the actual version of the characters or the fanfiction versions of them.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
There was a lot of flanderization. For example, how insane do you remember Akane acting? She wasn't actually that bad in the manga.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 31, 2020

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

God Ranma rules, I'm still upset fifteen years later that the Ranma fanfic scene has mostly died off, and a bunch of Geocities and Angelfire hosted fics are gone or too hard to find now. drat it.

I think Ryoga gets a pass on his horrible behavior for two reasons. First, Ryoga is pathetic. His overemotional and irrational behavior makes sense when you consider that he's spent most of his life lost in the woods, with no one to talk to or help him get better at his garbage attitudes. His wins against Ranma are always run back when Ranma figures out a counter to Ryoga's new technique. Even pretending to be P-chan is canonically lovely; Akane fights in her sleep, so Ryoga spends his 'sleeping with Akane' nights getting the poo poo beat out of him. Two, Ryoga gets a little better as the manga goes on. After Herb, Ryoga barely tries to fight Ranma, and is more likely to team up with him to help Akane. The Orochi, Taro, Phoenix Mountain, Ryoga gets a chance to show himself as a stalwart ally and a good dude, and not as much as an irritating rival and Nice Guy. Still, Ryoga is kind of a garbage person, so if these reasons don't appeal to someone, they're perfectly valid for thinking poorly of him.

Also Akane is best girl. Girl Ranma is best boy.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 31, 2020

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
The increasing absurdity of Akane never catching on to Ryoga being P-chan was one of the most consistently funny gags in the show. I remember one episode showing a "what-if?" future scenario where Akane and Ryoga were together, and even with a bunch of little pigs running around the house she still didn't notice anything was going on. Actual genius television.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

esselfortium posted:

The increasing absurdity of Akane never catching on to Ryoga being P-chan was one of the most consistently funny gags in the show. I remember one episode showing a "what-if?" future scenario where Akane and Ryoga were together, and even with a bunch of little pigs running around the house she still didn't notice anything was going on. Actual genius television.

That was a dream of Ranma's, so it's not any real indication of anything other than Ranma's neurosis

Also it's not that surpsing, it's pretty constantly shown that the change the Jusenkyo curse gives is pretty unnoticeable. Plenty of people don't notice Ranma changing. Plus Ranma helps Ryoga keep it a secret.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I mean, yeah, characters in Ranma being extremely dumb and oblivious for joke purposes is definitely not just an Akane thing.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

One of my favorite lines was--I have the sense this was all on the voice actor and not the script--when someone (I forget, maybe Shinnosuke or Toma) was excited to sample Akane's cooking and Ranma says, with genuine alarm and concern and not a hint of irony, "Don't eat that, you'll die!"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
While I did not really like the character of pantyhose taro, I did like that they repeatedly brought up the gensokyo spring he fell into's circumstances in full, because I love the absurdity of his power's origin story

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I had vague knowledge as a kid that Pokémon and Dragonball Z were from Japan but Ranma is what really made an impression on me as being the product of another culture. The modern Japan setting and also what they were getting away with in terms of raunchy humour and violence made me realize anime and manga existed.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
my old rear end rented Ranma VHS from our local video store every weekend. really glad my parents never bothered to screen it because holy poo poo they would not have been happy.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Speaking of ranma 1/2, one day I bought a bunch of anime DVDs from a used electronics store for real cheap, including

I'm still ins anely jealous of that watermelon print swimsuit :swoon:

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

dancingbears posted:

Also Akane is best girl. Girl Ranma is best boy.

What do you like about Akane? I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I'm legitimately curious.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
Should I even try watching this show anymore, I was watching Inuyasha and definitely got 70-80 episodes in realizing nothing actually ever happens, I feel like Ranma is the same or maybe worse.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Stalin-Chan posted:

Should I even try watching this show anymore, I was watching Inuyasha and definitely got 70-80 episodes in realizing nothing actually ever happens, I feel like Ranma is the same or maybe worse.

Ranma is more of a slice of life show, with occasional story arcs to introduce new characters. If a particular arc/episode isn't doing it for you it's probably safe to skip it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Read the manga instead.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Neither the manga or anime have real endings.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Ranma 1/2 was my first anime, and my parents LOVED the dust jacket on the VHS tapes classifying the show as a "martial arts sex comedy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Nebrilos posted:

What do you like about Akane? I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I'm legitimately curious.

I like her 'cause I'm a manga snob, and Akane rules in the manga. She's the closest to being a reasonable, down-to-earth person outside of Kasumi, and even though she has to put up with all of Ranma's nonsense (and oh man that's a lot of nonsense, as much as I love Ranma he's an awful garbage boy), she's still either right beside him or rescuing him or herself in 97% of the plots. She's basically what you get if Ranma were to trade most of his martial arts experience for social awareness; if you watch how they react to things, their temperaments are nearly identical. Proud, jealous, short tempered, equally quick to forgive and try and make friends. She's just a really well developed and fun character.

In short

Rody One Half posted:

Read the manga instead.