Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Holy gently caress was that scene in Dragonball cringe. I don't know what was worse: that scene or Roshi sexually assaulting Paur for hours to "get over his weakness."

Jesus, gently caress.

Characters like this need to die. It's just never good. Like, if you need a character like this, only go so far as Jamie from Megas XLR. Where they wisely kept his worst outbursts pretty minor and mainly verbal so he just came off as scummy but not like a loving sex offender. Also, he was made clear to be a loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The character I really hate is Genma. Happosai's too much of a generic pervert for me to even get angry but Genma's overwhelming selfishness infuriates me.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I never liked Nabiki. It always annoyed me how any time she had an active major role in the plot, it always boiled down to, "Nabiki stirs poo poo up, makes trouble for everyone else, and never suffers any negative consequences for it. The end. No moral."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This conversation made me think: was Ranma 1/2 the anime "It's Always Sunny" of its time? Where the joke is that it's just a bunch of toxic, abusive, awful people stuck in a situation together as they storm through like a hurricane ruining the lives of those around them? Well, except for Kasumi who did nothing wrong.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Genma's selfishness was very true to life for me. Nabiki and Kasumi never felt like real characters to me though. They had like one trait each and barely had plots they were involved in.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

When I convinced a friend to give the anime a chance* I told him that every single problem in Ranma's life can be traced back to Genma and how he raised Ranma. I stand by that.

*The next week he came back to game night complaining how it's the worst anime and Ranma never learns anything, and it's the same thing over and over again, etc. I asked him what episode he left off and it turns out he watched like 3/4th of the entire series in a single week.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Did he explain why he watched so much of it if it was the worst he had ever seen?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Locking your kid in a room full of cats until they dissociate a new martial art and making him commit bigamy for free okonomiyaki is funny lovely; almost killing your wife because your son wants to come out and all you can think about is how this affects you is just lovely.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

CrazySalamander posted:

Did he explain why he watched so much of it if it was the worst he had ever seen?

Clearly he was a true friend.

8one6
May 20, 2012

CrazySalamander posted:

He binges media and I'm pretty sure it's how he's watched most of the anime he's seen.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ThingOne posted:

Locking your kid in a room full of cats until they dissociate a new martial art and making him commit bigamy for free okonomiyaki is funny lovely; almost killing your wife because your son wants to come out and all you can think about is how this affects you is just lovely.

When did this happen?

Covok
May 27, 2013

8one6 posted:

When I convinced a friend to give the anime a chance* I told him that every single problem in Ranma's life can be traced back to Genma and how he raised Ranma. I stand by that.

*The next week he came back to game night complaining how it's the worst anime and Ranma never learns anything, and it's the same thing over and over again, etc. I asked him what episode he left off and it turns out he watched like 3/4th of the entire series in a single week.

There are 143 episodes of Ranma 1/2, not including the OVAs and movies. (3/4)*143 is 107.25. Assuming 23 minutes an episode, that's 2,466.76 minutes. Divided by 60 into hours, that's 41 hours. That's two straight days of Ranma 1/2.

I don't think ANYONE could enjoy a series if you sit and watch it for two straight days. That said, it's an episodic show, which is not what most people expect in anime. As such, the absolute lack of serious character development can be severely annoying. I myself would prefer if the characters did grow a tad over time.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The bug in InuYasha that looks like Hopposai and loves to drink demon blood…there is a subtext there.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Covok posted:

When did this happen?

Chapter 383, Ranma decides he's tired of hiding his curse from his mother so Genma grabs her and runs off with her until he accidentally throws her off a cliff.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Honestly she seems pretty okay with the idea.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I read this chapter before I knew I was trans and it was still the angriest I've ever been at a fictional character.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Genma was horrible but at least in the first few volumes, it's in a clearly over-the-top way. I hear he and the series as a whole get more serious later on but all I remember is him holding up a sign that says "Just a lovable panda."

The dads are such raging shitheads and it's great, IMO.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SolarFire2 posted:

Honestly she seems pretty okay with the idea.

She's a whole other can of worms.

A few sheep, bananas and concrete donkies, too.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 22, 2021

Covok
May 27, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Shes a whole other can of worms.

A few sheep, bananas and concrete donkies, too.

Perhaps its because I have a messy relationship with my mother but it rubs me the wrong way how people completely forgive Nodoka. She was completely willing to kill Ranma after she saw him crossdressing and only accepted Ranma in the end because he acted manly enough for her to forgive the curse. Heck, on that second point, she almost took that back the second he acted girly. It's like a really uncomfortable topic to me as a trans women. She's not worse than Genma, but the fandom, especially fanfiction, make her out as a saint and she loving isn't. She's a TERF (actually she might not even be a feminist so TER?) who is willing to kill her son over a dumb contract he signed as a baby, all because she is a super stickler to gender roles and the gender binary. That might be worse than Genma in some respects, as he never planed to ouright murder his child over his gender role non-conformity.

Also, I use "he" for Ranma because, while I love non-cis Ranma theory, canon Ranma is definitely portrayed as a cis man from the author's viewpoint and the character uses he/him.

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 22, 2021

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

LorneReams posted:

The bug in InuYasha that looks like Hopposai and loves to drink demon blood…there is a subtext there.
Surprised people forgot he shows up as the bug in Inuyasha

Hate this fucker

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm trans and honestly just compartmentalize most of this stuff because it's a 30 year old comedy.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
What?? But the 90s was only ten years ago!!!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Rody One Half posted:

I'm trans and honestly just compartmentalize most of this stuff because it's a 30 year old comedy.

Completely fair. Ranma's just a comedy that Takahashi created that was not intended to have anything to say about gender identity (or anything else tbh), but happens to stumble into some things that people can latch onto and discuss. I didn't think too hard about it when I was originally reading it, but my views on the world have changed and matured a lot since then, and I like being able to go back and reexamine my original views on the series.

Like, I've been thinking about it a bit lately and I was bored, so here's my tier list of most to least lovely recurring characters in the series:

I think the comparison someone made to Always Sunny is pretty spot on, because there's definitely not anyone in the series I'd consider to be "good," as opposed to "not as bad as the others"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

I think the comparison someone made to Always Sunny is pretty spot on, because there's definitely not anyone in the series I'd consider to be "good," as opposed to "not as bad as the others"

There was that doctor who disappeared from the series after like four episodes. He seemed pretty good and was in love with ooooh yeah. Never mind.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 22, 2021

Covok
May 27, 2013

8one6 posted:

There was that doctor who disappeared from the series after like four episodes. He seemed pretty good and was in love with the 19 year ooooh yeah. Never mind.

They actually did include Dr Tofu in the kinda poo poo tier.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
That never seems gross for some reason. Maybe because she acted so much older and he appeared young.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I remember the fucker paralyzed Ranma just so Akane would have to carry him for a romcom moment.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Dr Tofu fell in an open sewer and died.

Covok
May 27, 2013

LorneReams posted:

That never seems gross for some reason. Maybe because she acted so much older and he appeared young.

Yeah, it's kind of weird to find out Kasumi is 19 and Dr Tofu is late-twenties to early 30s. If no one said anything, I'd just keep assuming they were both in their mid-twenties.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Tofu is a weird character. He was apparently supposed to fill the role of old advisor who helps the main characters from the sidelines, but then Cologne got that role and Tofu just... Stopped showing up. Zero explanation, he just disappears. Which is weird because he had some dangling plots of his own that were left unaddressed. Just off the top of my head:

- Tofu has a (maybe reciprocated?) crush on Kasumi;
- Akane has a crush on Tofu;
- Genma started working for Tofu, remember?

What happened to all that?

And this reminds me, what the gently caress do Genma and Soun do all day? What do they do for a living? What is their job? You could argue that Genma is freeloading, but Soun? He has a super big house and makes enough money to pay to maintain it (and fix it when someone gets put through a wall), and also feed six people. Yet we never see him work. What does he do?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Soun doesn't appear to teach any classes in the dojo. Maybe there's a Tendo family trust that covers upkeep and basics.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Mikl posted:

Tofu is a weird character. He was apparently supposed to fill the role of old advisor who helps the main characters from the sidelines, but then Cologne got that role and Tofu just... Stopped showing up. Zero explanation, he just disappears. Which is weird because he had some dangling plots of his own that were left unaddressed. Just off the top of my head:

All that stuff got lost when then manga transitioned from semi-serious action manga with comedic elements and a connected story to slapstick comedy with action elements and fully compartimentalized arcs.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That's probably why the first 4 volumes are my favorite. After that things got steadily wackier and less connected.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mikl posted:

And this reminds me, what the gently caress do Genma and Soun do all day? What do they do for a living? What is their job? You could argue that Genma is freeloading, but Soun? He has a super big house and makes enough money to pay to maintain it (and fix it when someone gets put through a wall), and also feed six people. Yet we never see him work. What does he do?

I watched like 0.2 seconds of the diastorious live action Ranma special. They show that Soun runs classes in his spare hours but he has trouble keeping students because of the shenanigans.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Canonically, Soun is actually on the local city council.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Covok posted:

I watched like 0.2 seconds of the diastorious live action Ranma special. They show that Soun runs classes in his spare hours but he has trouble keeping students because of the shenanigans.

I mean would you want to regularly learn kempo in a dojo that has freakishly strong people destroy parts of it every other day?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Rody One Half posted:

Canonically, Soun is actually on the local city council.

That I remembered, is that actually a paying job? I admit I have no idea how things are in Japan.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Given the time period Ranma 1/2 is set in, Soun probably sold his garden shed to a multinational corporation and has enough money to support his family for years off of that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

We're also forgetting this the 1990s and it's heavily implied Soun inherited his land. I don't know how real estate taxes are in Japan, but it's super easy to afford land without a mortgage. Like, my parents almost paid off their mortgage. They live in an area of a high tax state that got heavily gentrified around them and their real estate taxes are still only barely above 9k a year. And in about a few years, their income level and age will allow them to get the state to cut 2k off the bill. Like, that's not chump change, but $750 a month is less than half of what rent in that area is nowadays.

Covok fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I just tell myself Soun's wife made mad bank and his widower's pension has everyone set up for life to help things make a little bit more sense.