Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

YggdrasilTM posted:

All that stuff got lost when then manga transitioned from semi-serious action manga with comedic elements and a connected story to slapstick comedy with action elements and fully compartimentalized arcs.

I hate analyzing a gag manga, since it pretty much kills the joke.

The series is pretty much written for the gag scenes at the conclusions, with throw away gags interspersed along the way. The early stories have call backs, but the later ones just give up on them.

Try to sit down and explain the over all story arch of Ranma 1/2 to someone who's watched a ton of anime but has never seen the series. Now tell them how many episodes it takes to get to the end. You'd look completely mental.

It was definitely made for episodic consumption. You really had to have been there, waiting for each release, to really enjoy it as well as the audience that was there to consume it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Yeah, I guess I will say that our modern binge culture is completely alien to how media was consumed in the past. Even just ten years ago, it was irregular to marathon shows. Movies? Sure, but tv shows and other long running media were marathoned as events and it was generally considered something only diehard fans did. Nowadays, it's common place, even part of the release schedule for companies like Netflix.

Ranma 1/2 came out in 1987. VHS was only 9 years old. Tankonbons certainly existed longer, but this is to give an idea on how people like viewed media back then. The idea of binging media was probably even more alien due to logistics of the affair. The series was made with the idea that it was to be consumed with a 7 day waiting period and that readers were unlikely to go back and "get caught up" on earlier issues. It probably made the series viewed as a tad "disposable." Which, considering it was printed on newspaper and put in a magazine with ten other series, it probably was disposable to anyone who wasn't an otaku.

Our consumption of it will affect it. Someone mentioned getting tired of the series around volume 27. I wonder how their opinion might change if they had a week to digest every issue and viewed it like a "weekly treat," a new episode of a show they liked. Something to read to pass the time after work or on your day off.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Covok posted:

Our consumption of it will affect it. Someone mentioned getting tired of the series around volume 27. I wonder how their opinion might change if they had a week to digest every issue and viewed it like a "weekly treat," a new episode of a show they liked. Something to read to pass the time after work or on your day off.

That was me. I'm giving it a couple of months before I get back into the series. Like 200 chapters of almost zero character growth was just a little too much all at once.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I was renting VHS tapes that came out once a month and had 2 - 3 episodes on each. There was no binging, but there were hundreds of rewatches. Like I would immediately watch, then invite my friends over to watch together, then I would watch a couple more times before I returned it.

EDIT: Fun fact for me, but my mother got suspicious of the anime tapes with the pretty girl on it so she snuck into my room when I was at school and watched the latest tape I had rented and it coincidently was the ONLY tape that contained absolutely no nudity. I felt like I dodged a huge bullet and I still feel the relief 30 years later.

LorneReams fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 23, 2021

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Covok posted:

as someone who read it as it got released in the viz big's over...i think it was 2017-mid 2018? it was pretty nice having like, a few months wait between even relatively large chunks of manga cuz it gave me "rest time" between arcs

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

LorneReams posted:

I was renting VHS tapes that came out once a month and had 2 - 3 episodes on each. There was no binging, but there were hundreds of rewatches. Like I would immediately watch, then invite my friends over to watch together, then I would watch a couple more times before I returned it.

EDIT: Fun fact for me, but my mother got suspicious of the anime tapes with the pretty girl on it so she snuck into my room when I was at school and watched the latest tape I had rented and it coincidently was the ONLY tape that contained absolutely no nudity. I felt like I dodged a huge bullet and I still feel the relief 30 years later.

Hey look, I sleep posted this from my alt account.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I hate analyzing a gag manga, since it pretty much kills the joke.

The series is pretty much written for the gag scenes at the conclusions, with throw away gags interspersed along the way. The early stories have call backs, but the later ones just give up on them.

Try to sit down and explain the over all story arch of Ranma 1/2 to someone who's watched a ton of anime but has never seen the series. Now tell them how many episodes it takes to get to the end. You'd look completely mental.

It was definitely made for episodic consumption. You really had to have been there, waiting for each release, to really enjoy it as well as the audience that was there to consume it.

It was... 1992 or something? when the first translated volumes reached Italy. I was there, waiting for each volume release, so I have not binged it and I have no idea what you are talking about. There is a tonal and structural shift after the end of the first mousse arc and you could definitely feel it even back then. I was not written for gag scenes at the conclusions.

At the beginning Takahashi was trying to differentiate herself from Urusei Yatsura, and then she fell back in her usual wacky comedy routine, that's it.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 24, 2021

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/smg1228/status/1424306221385801734?s=19

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Posting a bunch of queer fics gently caress it

https://archiveofourown.org/works/27688292
Trans shampoo one-shot

https://archiveofourown.org/works/34135189/chapters/84928735
Trans NODOKA

https://archiveofourown.org/works/27421924/chapters/67029313
Buncha queer stuff

https://archiveofourown.org/works/13497030/chapters/30953102
crossover where Ranma's engaged to Hibari

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Bless. I need to actual go over to the ranma section of ao3 for once...

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

All of these are pretty good, especially the first and last one

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I wish trans shampoo was a series but I also wish Beedok was always pumping out more of their Ranma stuff.

Also slight op edit to better reflect what the thread is about

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Yeah, Beedok's great.

I would also love more trans Shampoo, but I'm fine with where it ended

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
i think growing up with rumiko's other works first (urusei yatsura, inuyasha etc) made me appreciate her quirky writing style. not really a fan of slapstick comedy but she does it so tastefully

euroshopper fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 22, 2022

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I was thinking, Seun is the owner of a dojo, but where does his income come from? He doesn't compete in tournaments, he has no students, no disciples, until Ranma and Genma arrived, it seems like the only person who trained in Seun's dojo was Akane. Seun doesn't even train in his own dojo. Do we ever even see Seun fight ever? Genma at least has a few bouts with Ranma. Seun wants Ranma to marry one of his daughters so that "the future of the dojo is secure," but Seun has no disciples and no income so it isn't secure even if Ranma marries his daughter.

Why would Cologne bring Shampoo, her own granddaughter, to the cursed springs of Jusenkyo? Unlike Genma, she must have known the danger there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the answer is that every parent figure in ranma is a stupid rear end in a top hat.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Nebrilos posted:

Why would Cologne bring Shampoo, her own granddaughter, to the cursed springs of Jusenkyo? Unlike Genma, she must have known the danger there.

Shampoo and her people live there. Shampoo was just dumb enough to mess with Ramna and fall in (Mousse too) after living there so long.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nebrilos posted:

I was thinking, Seun is the owner of a dojo, but where does his income come from? He doesn't compete in tournaments, he has no students, no disciples, until Ranma and Genma arrived, it seems like the only person who trained in Seun's dojo was Akane. Seun doesn't even train in his own dojo. Do we ever even see Seun fight ever? Genma at least has a few bouts with Ranma. Seun wants Ranma to marry one of his daughters so that "the future of the dojo is secure," but Seun has no disciples and no income so it isn't secure even if Ranma marries his daughter.

Soun is a city councillor.

Shampoo brought Cologne to Jusenkyo explicitly as punishment for failing to settle things with Ranma when she first went, therefore violating village laws. Remember the first Shampoo arc ends with them convincing her that Boy Ranma is the cursed form, so she leaves in tears. Therefore she returns to the Nujiezu villages without settling the death oath. After her being punished with a cursed form, Cologne goes back to Japan with her to find out what the actual deal is and settle accounts.

Mousse got cursed because he's blind and stupid.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

Shampoo brought Cologne to Jusenkyo explicitly as punishment for failing to settle things with Ranma when she first went, therefore violating village laws. Remember the first Shampoo arc ends with them convincing her that Boy Ranma is the cursed form, so she leaves in tears. Therefore she returns to the Nujiezu villages without settling the death oath. After her being punished with a cursed form, Cologne goes back to Japan with her to find out what the actual deal is and settle accounts.

Wait, it was a punishment? What I remember was that "Shampoo was taken to Jusenkyo training ground to be retrained, after she failed to fulfill her oath." I didn't contextualize it as a punishment, but I guess it could be.

That's horrifyingly cruel of Cologne. To a mere child! Jusenkyo curses appear to be permanent! As awful as Genma is, he is at least incompetent rather than actively malicious and has never intentionally permanently maimed a child.

The cursed male characters have fought over "water from the spring of drowned man" multiple times, but it isn't clear if it would let them live "normal" lives as if they'd never been cursed. We see what happens when curses are combined in the example of Taro. Taro's initial cursed form is that of a winged yeti-minotaur. When he later falls into the spring of drowned squid, "squid" does not simply replace his previous cursed form. Instead, his cursed form becomes that of a winged yeti-minotaur-squid hybrid. IE, curses are combined, not replaced.

I would like to point out that Herb, even though he lives near to Jusenkyo and makes use of the cursed springs extensively, does not simply bathe in the spring of drowned man to "fix" himself after he accidentally gets Jusenkyo-cursed and then locked by the Ladle. He travels to Japan instead.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Nebrilos posted:

That's horrifyingly cruel of Cologne. To a mere child! Jusenkyo curses appear to be permanent! As awful as Genma is, he is at least incompetent rather than actively malicious and has never intentionally permanently maimed a child.

Well, I mean, there was the time he threw young Ranma into a pit full of starving feral cats... twice.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Well, I mean, there was the time he threw young Ranma into a pit full of starving feral cats... twice.

Four times that we know of.

First time was with fish sausages, as per the training manual's instructions.

Then, later on when Kasumi asks Genma if Ranma's fear of cats could be cured:

quote:

Genma: I did what I could, Kasumi. Once I tied dried sardines to him and threw him into a pit of hungry cats.

Then I tried salted sardines.

I even tried fish cakes.

Each new failure tore up my heart!

Kasumi: Not to mention your son!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rody One Half posted:

Soun is a city councillor.

I've seen this in a few fanfics. When was this established?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I dunno. The show maybe, I only read the manga really.

Nebrilos posted:

I would like to point out that Herb, even though he lives near to Jusenkyo and makes use of the cursed springs extensively, does not simply bathe in the spring of drowned man to "fix" himself after he accidentally gets Jusenkyo-cursed and then locked by the Ladle. He travels to Japan instead.

Herb travels to Japan because he needs to find the unlock item (a tea kettle? I forget)

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

I dunno. The show maybe, I only read the manga really.

Herb travels to Japan because he needs to find the unlock item (a tea kettle? I forget)

My point is, if the spring of drowned man actually changed a person's cursed form to that of "you, but as a man", and Herb already is a man, he shouldn't need the Open Water Kettle to unlock himself.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Nebrilos posted:

The cursed male characters have fought over "water from the spring of drowned man" multiple times, but it isn't clear if it would let them live "normal" lives as if they'd never been cursed. We see what happens when curses are combined in the example of Taro. Taro's initial cursed form is that of a winged yeti-minotaur. When he later falls into the spring of drowned squid, "squid" does not simply replace his previous cursed form. Instead, his cursed form becomes that of a winged yeti-minotaur-squid hybrid. IE, curses are combined, not replaced.

I think it's a mistake to use Taro as your baseline for how water from the spring of drowned man (girl for Shampoo) would interact with the other characters' curses, because his original curse is already an outlier compared to theirs. Ranma, Genma, Ryoga, Shampoo, Mousse and Herb were all exposed to water from a spring where only one thing drowned. Taro's curse comes from a spring where four distinct entities (yeti, bull, crane, eel) all drowned together (and that's not even getting into the improbability of an eel drowning underwater), so his cursed form is a chimeric mishmash as a result.

Also, did he actually fall into the spring of drowned octopus (as in, was he fully immersed from head to toe) or did he only splash himself with a bit of the water on his back to deliberately give himself tentacles in his cursed form? Because it's been years since I read that arc, but I could have sworn it was the latter. It matters because there was an arc where Taro was trying to splash Happosai with water from what he thought was "spring of drowned virtuous man" but turned out to be "spring of drowned twins." At the end of the battle, a single drop of the water lands on a bump on Happosai's head, but instead of creating a full second copy of him, it just creates an identical second bump next to the first one. So from that we can infer that the amount of exposure matters.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Why is Pantyhose Taro always a bigot in fanfiction? Like a transphobe?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Covok posted:

Why is Pantyhose Taro always a bigot in fanfiction? Like a transphobe?

Because in the manga he keeps calling Ranma "okama," which is a derogatory slur for a homosexual man.

Covok
May 27, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Because in the manga he keeps calling Ranma "okama," which is a derogatory slur for a homosexual man.

Oh, I see. That tracks.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

And the localization has him constantly saying "tranny"

So ya know

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yuck.

Meh, changing subjects from slurs, one of my favorite storylines as a kid was when Ranma got hit by the gishing pole of love and started simping for Ryouga. And I know exactly why I think that too.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Going back and reading some of the early early ranma fics where he gets trapped in his female body, it's interesting how much either/both my understanding of or the worlds understand of gender theory has evolved. In this one fic I'm reading it's taken as a narrative certainty that Ranma is Female and She/Her now he lost his male form, even though the characters explictly and implicitly acknowledge the dsyphoria and dissonance. And even with that acknowledgment, characters instantly start using feminine pronouns exclusively, including Ranma.

see:

quote:

He shuddered despite himself at the memory of seeing Ranma's male form erased from existence. It made him feel sick, like someone had dropped a pair of withering eels into his stomach.

He should have been ecstatic.

Ranma was a girl now and forever. She wasn't an obstacle to Akane's heart anymore, and surely their fathers didn't expect the two girls to marry. The point was for Ranma and Akane to produce children together, as husband and wife. That wasn't possible now. Although wouldn't have been surprised if Genma already had a rich husband lined up for his 'daughter.' But even still, this wasn't how he wanted to win. He had dreamt for so long of beating Ranma, getting his revenge for making his life hell. It was Ranma's fault after all that he ended up cursed in the first place. So why did it all taste so sour?

"Perhaps its because she's in this mess because of you?"

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Going back and reading some of the early early ranma fics where he gets trapped in his female body, it's interesting how much either/both my understanding of or the worlds understand of gender theory has evolved. In this one fic I'm reading it's taken as a narrative certainty that Ranma is Female and She/Her now he lost his male form, even though the characters explictly and implicitly acknowledge the dsyphoria and dissonance. And even with that acknowledgment, characters instantly start using feminine pronouns exclusively, including Ranma.

see:

It's definitely both; I remember a common complaint of some fics at the time was from people having trouble telling if Ranma was female if the fic didn't use 'Ranma-chan' whenever Ranma was transformed. People had a very cishet view of things at the time

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
It's just.. so.. close...

quote:

Sitting in the lotus position the red head leaned back against the wall of the dojo, arms hung gracelessly at her sides with the towel draped across her shoulders. For a second, if you peered past the delicate female exterior, you could almost see her male form lingering about her.

There was nothing feminine in her body language at all, and that was the way she wanted it.

e:

arrggh!!

quote:

Even still, she knew Kasumi was right; she couldn't stand the thought of physically injuring someone close to her like Akane just because she couldn't control her temper. Even now, she could feel the anger and frustration simmering away inside. She didn't want to feel angry all the time. It was a horrible feeling that made her sick to her core and tore at her insides.

Nothing she did could sooth the growing pain and indignation she was forced to suffer. Every time she glanced at a mirror, or saw her reflection at all she was reminded of her new reality. Her pain was becoming a fuel for the anger, which would turn into pain once more, feeding off each other.

e2:

Ok, now THIS is interesting:

quote:

Ryoga blinked suddenly, frowning deeply in thought.

She…

When did they start referring to Ranma as a girl? When had they started to use she and her when they talked about her? It wasn't the first time he had thought about this. He had tried to force himself to think of Ranma as the guy he knew was inside the red head's body; that was the core of her soul, but he always ended up coming back to thinking of her as a girl. It hadn't been like that when she could change back and forth at will, but now it just didn't feel right…

There's the implication of magical tampering in how Ranma is perceived as it immediately moves on in the dialogue.

ok and now it seems to be setting into a swerve:

quote:

"Ranma, everything is black and white to you. You think just because you're a girl that it means you have to forget being a guy. It doesn't mean you have to like guys or act like a girl either. It isn't clear cut. There's a grey area too. You have so many absolute thoughts about gender for a seventeen year old. That isn't your fault though. I think we both know who's to blame for that," Ukyo sighed.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 12, 2022

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I keep getting little vwerves of recognition reading this... I don't know if its the deju vu flashes my medication change is doing or real, but besides the whole 'narrative commitment to projecting female identity onto ranma' thing this is actually quite good and nuanced.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/smg1228/status/1557657430020194305?t=W36J_bs0EOj1ISkFhjiPvA&s=19

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I was like "Why is Ranma hugging Herro Yui?" for a moment there.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Same, ngl. lmao

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
When I first came out as trans back in 2009/2010, trans discourse was obviously nowhere near what it was today, and ao3 was not even a thing yet or had literally just started, so fanfiction offerings for trans ranma were grim. Those fics were so rare that the single excellent fic I came across, called Ranmas Daughter and the sequel Notes from Julliard (which was and still might be unfinished), I downloaded and still have on an archive drive somewhere as it was posted on a personal apple web site, which no longer seems to be around. I have also since scraped and read everything good on ao3, so I was wondering if anyone has any reccs for stuff NOT on there

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I can't really understand Akane's character. When she first meets Ranma she thinks Ranma is a girl and she is interested, but loses interest immediately when she learns that Ranma is a boy. Is she lesbian? I think she even says something like "I'm not interested in boys" a few times. But then they end up getting married anyway? What qualities about each other do they love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think she really knew for sure what she wanted, but at the start she was at least sure that she didn't want a rude grubby martial arts boy. later on akane came to realize that she's super into endless bickering to the exclusion of all else.