Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Maybe it's because I just woke up, but I can't parse the symbol things for roll results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Typing the results out in full felt clunky, so I figured I'd try some ascii - ✗ for a miss, 🔍 for a clue (it's a magnifying glass on the dice) and the ⛧ as the success (the closest I can get to an Elder Sign) but that also feels a little clunky, especially since the clue ascii looks kind of out of place.

Ideally I wanted to use but I'm not sure if they'll break the text up too much because of their height. I'll give it a go and see how it looks.

Edit: Hmm. If I go small enough to try to match the text height, are these still readable? They are on my screen, but that might just be Windows zoom.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 19, 2020

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'll wait to see if Istvun succeeds at killing the monster before I do anything.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 2 - INVESTIGATOR PHASE

William takes on the Hunting Horror.

quote:

Not confident in your ability to avoid the creature in a prolonged fight, you charge it head-on, hoping to injure it before it can react. Test Agility, Target 2. (Agility: ) If you pass, luck seems to be on your side and you manage to connect with a few quick strikes; the monster suffers damage equal to your test result plus 1.

The Hunting Horror is defeated.

quote:

The creature lurches to the ground, dead. Hearing the monster's final fate, the old man in the kitchen cautiously steps out. The old man brushes himself off and tries to calm his shaken composure. "You came just in time! Thank you so much for saving me. The name is Eugene; we spoke on the phone earlier today. I've heard strange noises from the tower, but the door is locked! I'm sure that something terrible is about to happen."

:cthulhu: Eugene has two things you can ask him about, each taking an Action. See the token list. Given that available actions have changed I'll wait for William to confirm healing Rita up.

Carson takes a look at the painting.

quote:

Shadowy figures can be seen amidst the landscape. However, something in the stars catches your interest. Test Lore. (Lore: ) You identify several of the specks of light in the sky as planets. They are all occupying the same section of the sky, as if coming into alignment - not unlike the planets in the sky tonight. Beneath the painting, a plaque reads 'In memory of Lilith Vanderbilt'. Gain 2 Clues, then discard this token.
Carson then dynamically wrenches the northern door open.

quote:

The door opens into a dim hallway that winds through the heart of the mansion.

A wooden desk stands against the wall. Someone acting in a hurry has knocked over a stack of papers. Search tokens are placed.

Three doors lead to other rooms of the mansion. Explore tokens are placed.

You could use some of the furniture to barricade a door, if you wished. Barricade token placed.

You may move one space into the explored room.

:cthulhu: I might have to drop the quality of the jpg at some point, depending on how much bigger the map gets... we'll see.

Action Queue
- Rita: 2 actions.
- Carson: Move in?
- William: 1 action.
- Preston: 2 actions.

MONSTERS

TOKENS
Lobby, Bottom-Left Explore: The door leads to a small front room of the mansion.
Dining Room, Left Search: A china cabinet has been repurposed to store all manner of knicknacks.
Dining Room, Eugene: "Are you okay?"
Dining Room, Eugene: "Where is Mr. Vanderbilt?"
Dining Room, Item: Knife (Bladed Weapon, Damage 1, Melee.)
Kitchen, Left Search: Someone has locked this cabinet by wrapping a chain around the handles.
Kitchen, Right Search: The refrigerator has been left cracked open, dripping water onto the floor.
Hall End, Search: A desk sits against the wall, being used as an endtable. Several large drawers appear locked by a combination.
Hall End, East Explore: You suspect this unmarked door leads to a bedroom.
Hall End, North Explore: A weathered door stands at the end of the hall. You hear bizarre noises from the other side. When you try the handle, the door is locked.
Hall Corner, Search: A stack of papers has been strewn about the floor.
Hall Corner, Explore: A wood plaque marked 'Library' is fastened to the centre of the door.

INVESTIGATORS
Rita Young (Circlmastr)
Strength 5, Agility 4, Observation 3, Lore 3, Influence 2, Will 4. 0 Clues. 9/9 Health. 3/5 Sanity.
You may move 1 additional space per Move action.
Brass Knuckles (When attacking unarmed, roll 2 extra dice.)
Holy Water (Action: Discard 1 Horror, then become Focused. Then discard this card.)
Dazed (You cannot spend Clues to convert dice results or perform extra puzzle steps. At the end of your turn, discard this card.)

Carson Sinclair (berenzen)
Strength 3, Agility 2, Observation 5, Lore 4, Influence 4, Will 3. 5 Clues. 8/8 Health. 6/6 Sanity.
Action: Another investigator within range may perform 1 action. Activate this ability only once per round.
Instill Bravery (Spell. Action: You or one investigator within range discard one Horror. Then flip this card.)

William Yorick (Istvun)
Strength 4, Agility 3, Observation 4, Lore 3, Influence 3, Will 4. 2 Clues. 6/7 Health. 6/7 Sanity.
Whenever a Monster is defeated, gain 1 Clue.
King James Bible (Action: You or one investigator within range may discard one facedown Horror.)
Dazed (You cannot spend Clues to convert dice results or perform extra puzzle steps. At the end of your turn, discard this card.)

Preston Fairmont (Iron Chef Ramen)
Strength 4, Agility 4, Observation 3, Lore 2, Influence 5, Will 3. 2 Clues. 8/8 Health. 6/6 Sanity.
Once per round, when you gain an Item, you may flip 1 Horror card facedown or discard 1 facedown Horror card.
Kerosene Lantern (Light Source. You may discard this card to turn all clue results into successes when attacking unarmed.)
Medical Textbook (Action: You or one investigator within range may discard one facedown Damage.)

Second Post | Learn To Play | Rules Reference

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Assuming William heals Rita, I'll talk to Eugene twice.

EDIT: Also I should probably amend my clue-spending rule. Don't spend a clue if I already have a success and already know that only one is required.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Move into the new room.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

EDIT: Also I should probably amend my clue-spending rule. Don't spend a clue if I already have a success and already know that only one is required.

Fair, but I should note here that most of the time, you don't fully know this. For instance, when Carson searched the painting just now, all I got on-screen was a thing to select how many successes he got. If he'd gotten 1 or 2 successes, those might not have been enough to get the reward. (I believe these usually work off of cumulative successes.)

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
I'll still heal up Rita and also grab that horror and tie it to my belt

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
I'll go through the bottom left door in the lobby.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 2 - INVESTIGATOR PHASE, CONT.

Carson moves on in.
William spouts some Bible verse in Rita's direction. It helps!

Rita chats to Eugene.

quote:

The butler puts on a weak smile, and the two of you chat for a minute. At the end of the conversation, he seems much calmer. "Please, take this with you. It has always been at my side." Gain the Lucky Rabbit's Foot. Then, each investigator on this tile discards 1 Horror.

:cthulhu: It pays to be nice!

quote:

More calm now, Eugene tells you what happened before you arrived; several robed figures entered the mansion through the side door and took Mr. Vanderbilt to the tower. "Soon after they arrived, I could hear them chanting."

"Where is that?"

"You can get to the tower through the north door of the hall, but the door is locked! Mr. Vanderbilt likely keeps the key in-- er, well, it wouldn't do for me to divulge his secrets like this..." Test Influence. (Influence: Rabbit's Foot: ) "No, no, Mr. Vanderbilt would not like me talking about this with strangers."

The old man looks conflicted. He obviously wants to tell you, but cannot bring himself to reveal Mr. Vanderbilt's affairs.

:cthulhu: ... or not!

Preston moves to the southeast and goes exploring.

quote:

The light from the entry shines into the dimly lit office as you open the door. A lamp sits on a large wooden desk, casting long shadows around a mess of papers and books scattered around the room.

The desktop under the lamp is cluttered with papers. A search token is placed.

Across the room, a bookcase stacked with books and other items stands against one wall. Among the items, you spot something useful. The Lucky Cigarette Case is placed. This can be picked up as part of a trade action in this space.

You may move 1 space into the explored area.

Action Queue
- Preston: Move inside?

MONSTERS
None!

TOKENS
Dining Room, Left Search: A china cabinet has been repurposed to store all manner of knicknacks.
Dining Room, Eugene: "Where is the key?"
Kitchen, Left Search: Someone has locked this cabinet by wrapping a chain around the handles.
Kitchen, Right Search: The refrigerator has been left cracked open, dripping water onto the floor.
Hall End, Search: A desk sits against the wall, being used as an endtable. Several large drawers appear locked by a combination.
Hall End, North Explore: A weathered door stands at the end of the hall. You hear bizarre noises from the other side. When you try the handle, the door is locked.
Hall Corner, Explore: A wood plaque marked 'Library' is fastened to the centre of the door.
Study, Search: The desk is covered in random clutter with a small space cleared in front of the chair for working.
Study, Item: Lucky Cigarette Case (Once a round, you may convert a clue roll into a success.)

INVESTIGATORS
Rita Young (Circlmastr)
Strength 5, Agility 4, Observation 3, Lore 3, Influence 2, Will 4. 0 Clues. 9/9 Health. 5/5 Sanity.
Holy Water (Action: Discard 1 Horror, then become Focused. Then discard this card.)
Lucky Rabbit's Foot (Once a round, you may reroll 1 die.)

Strength 3, Agility 2, Observation 5, Lore 4, Influence 4, Will 3. 5 Clues. 8/8 Health. 6/6 Sanity.
Action: Another investigator within range may perform 1 action. Activate this ability only once per round.
Instill Bravery (Spell. Action: You or one investigator within range discard one Horror. Then flip this card.)

William Yorick (Istvun)
Strength 4, Agility 3, Observation 4, Lore 3, Influence 3, Will 4. 3 Clues. 6/7 Health. 7/7 Sanity.
King James Bible (Action: You or one investigator within range may discard one facedown Horror.)

Strength 4, Agility 4, Observation 3, Lore 2, Influence 5, Will 3. 2 Clues. 8/8 Health. 6/6 Sanity.
Once per round, when you gain an Item, you may flip 1 Horror card facedown or discard 1 facedown Horror card.
Kerosene Lantern (Light Source. You may discard this card to turn all clue results into successes when attacking unarmed.)
Medical Textbook (Action: You or one investigator within range may discard one facedown Damage.)

Stelas fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 21, 2020

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I could go and run Mythos now, but Preston moving in may or may not change things and I can't revert as easily with the app as I could otherwise.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yo stelas I should be at 3 clues because I throw corpses at problems until problems become more corpses

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

So you are.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

Move in, cigarette case seems nice.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ah, crap, I forgot to put the graphic on the map. Full disclosure, cigarette case is technically in the left space, so you'd need to move again to go get it.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

That's fine, still grabbing it when I can. A floating clue seems nice.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 2 - MYTHOS PHASE

Event posted:

Picking her way carefully forwards, Rita puts a foot wrong and steps on an old, rusty nail. Suffer 1 facedown Damage, Agility-1 negates. (Agility-1: )

Rita draws a facedown Damage, then flips it up because it's the only one she has.
Rita reveals Concussion: Discard a Clue, then turn this card facedown.

:cthulhu: That's one hell of a nail. Also, it's a bit weird that the focus is so heavily on Rita. I hope this isn't an effect of save-quitting repeatedly... but more likely it's just dice.

ROUND 3 - INVESTIGATION PHASE

Action Queue
- Everyone: 2 actions.

MONSTERS
None!

TOKENS
Dining Room, Eugene: "Where is the key?"
Study, Search: The desk is covered in random clutter with a small space cleared in front of the chair for working.
Study, Item: Lucky Cigarette Case (Once a round, you may convert a clue roll into a success.)

INVESTIGATORS
Rita Young (Circlmastr)
Strength 5, Agility 4, Observation 3, Lore 3, Influence 2, Will 4. 0 Clues. 8/9 Health. 5/5 Sanity.

William Yorick (Istvun)
Strength 4, Agility 3, Observation 4, Lore 3, Influence 3, Will 4. 3 Clues. 6/7 Health. 7/7 Sanity.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 22, 2020

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I should be able to clear out this room if you want to get back into the action, circlmastr

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'm unsure what to do at the moment. I can reach and explore the hall corner that leads to the library, but I am not sure I can do anything useful there with just 3 observation and lore.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Carson will move to the knocked over papers and search them.

Also, Circlmaster, I can help investigate in the library, but I want to make sure there's no nasty creatures behind the door, because I am pisspoor at fighting.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 22, 2020

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll yell at a man about a key. Use up to 2 clues, but don't use clues if they get me to exactly 1 success or above 3.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

In trying to see if there was a better way to handle clues in async play, I found that some checks are cumulative and others are not. So, that was helpful.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Rita will stumble her way to Hall Corner's explore tile and Explore it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 3 - INVESTIGATION PHASE, CONT.

Carson moves and checks the scattered papers.

quote:

Amidst the mundane paperwork, you find a weathered page covered in a strange script. Someone has scrawled a note in English across the top of the page. "Speak these words for great power."

Recite the script, or return the papers?

William tries his charm.

Where is the key? posted:

Eugene is reluctant to tell you anything more. You attempt to coax the information out of him. Test Influence. (Influence: ) 1 Clue is used. "... alright. Mr. Vanderbilt has a hidden office that he often retreats to. The door is hidden in the estate's library, through the west door when you get into the hall. It uses a very strange lock hidden behind a bookshelf." Gain 1 Clue.

Rita runs over, moving 3 because of her ability, and busts the library door open.

quote:

The door creaks on its hinges as you push it open to reveal the library. Bookshelves line the walls.

A scroll sits amongst research materials near the chairs... and a robed figure is pushing a bookcase back into place. Search tokens are placed.

The man's eyes widen at your entrance, and immediately he has drawn out a strange idol and begun to chant. Before your very eyes, a terrifying creature appears out of thin air; the cultist frantically speaks some words to it in a language you do not recognize, but the creature abruptly turns on him, tearing him to pieces before your very eyes. Spawn a Deep One, then suffer 2 Horror (Will negates). (Will: )

You may move one space into the explored area.

Action Queue
- William: 1 action.
- Carson: Make choice.
- Rita: Move in?
- Preston: 2 actions.

MONSTERS
Library: Deep One - 7/7 HP, Awareness 3, Horror 4, Brawn 2.

TOKENS
Dining Room, Eugene: "Please, you must hurry! The master is in danger!" (No action.)
Hall End, North Explore: A weathered door stands at the end of the hall. You hear bizarre noises from the other side. When you try the handle, the door is locked. (No action.)
Library, North Search: Peering behind the bookshelf the robed figure was moving, you see runic circles inscribed on the wall.
Library, South Search: A large scroll showing the solar system is sprawled across the pile of books.

INVESTIGATORS
Rita Young (Circlmastr)
Strength 5, Agility 4, Observation 3, Lore 3, Influence 2, Will 4. 0 Clues. 8/9 Health. 5/5 Sanity.

William Yorick (Istvun)

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll search the china cabinet since i'm here

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

Grab the cigarette case and search the study.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

Grab the cigarette case and search the study.

You can't do both! The study is divided into two spaces - to pick up the cigarette case you need to be in the left space, moving as your first action. To search the question mark, you need to be in the right space.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Let's cast a spell for fun and insanity profit.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I don't see the value in moving into line of sight with a baddie and no actions left, so Rita will stay outside for now.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

Stelas posted:

You can't do both! The study is divided into two spaces - to pick up the cigarette case you need to be in the left space, moving as your first action. To search the question mark, you need to be in the right space.

poo poo. Grab the cigarette case, then move back out to the lobby. This room looks to be a dead end.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The cigarette case would require you to move further in - only the search is in range of you right now.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

Ooohhh, that packet thing isn't a table. Sorry, move in and grab it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, sorry - I don't have english scans of all the item cards the way I do the monster chits, so I've just been using a generic 'back of the item card' image I ripped out of the manual. Such is PBP!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 3 - INVESTIGATION PHASE, CONT.

William checks out the cabinet.

quote:

The cabinet holds candles, wooden statuettes, beads, and other random objects. You try to discern a common pattern. Test Lore. (Lore: ) You find no pattern to the clutter. It's probably just junk.

Carson wishes for power, sure.

quote:

The eldritch words take on a life of their own as you speak them, reshaping your mind with new understanding of the script you are looking at. The lights flicker, and you can hear a whisper in your ear. "Power comes with a price..." Gain the Wither spell, then discard this token.

:cthulhu: Much like utility spells, attack spells will have an array of effects on the back when you use them.

Preston grabs some cigarettes.

MONSTERS

TOKENS
Dining Room, Eugene: "Please, you must hurry! The master is in danger!" (No action.)
Hall End, North Explore: A weathered door stands at the end of the hall. You hear bizarre noises from the other side. When you try the handle, the door is locked. (No action.)
Library, North Search: Peering behind the bookshelf the robed figure was moving, you see runic circles inscribed on the wall.
Library, South Search: A large scroll showing the solar system is sprawled across the pile of books.

INVESTIGATORS
Rita Young (Circlmastr)

Wither (Attack Spell. Ranged, 2 Damage.)

William Yorick (Istvun)

Lucky Cigarette Case (Once a round, you may convert a clue roll into a success.)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 3 - MYTHOS PHASE

quote:

A senseless chatter rises, filling not just the air but William's mind. Suffer 2 Horror (Will+1 negates). (Will+1: )

quote:

The Deep One moves 2 spaces towards the nearest investigator, then attacks the investigator in its space who has suffered the least Damage.

:cthulhu: Note that this instruction does not specify 'in range'. Which means the Deep One just barreled through the doorway.

Leaping with frog-like agility, the Deep One manages to get around, behind, and above you before attacking with sharp talons spread. Rita suffers 2 Damage (Strength-1 negates). (Strength-1: )

:cthulhu: I swear, right after this I'm gonna run an adventure with an actual difficulty level.

Rita and Carson are both within range of the Deep One, so take horror checks.

Rita vs. Deep One posted:

The deep one's gills flare and its musculature seems to ripple beneath its wet, scaly flesh. It begins to slam and claw at the wooden floor in a fury. Suffer 2 Horror (Will negates). (Will: Rabbit's Foot: )

Rita draws: Absolute Terror: Suffer 1 additional face-down Horror, then flip this card facedown.
Rita draws an additional facedown Horror card.
Rita draws: Flashback: Flip one other Horror faceup, then discard this card.
Rita flips: Minor Shock: No additional effect. Flip this card facedown.
Flashback is discarded.

:cthulhu: So the upshot there is you now know Rita's face down cards are one Minor Shock, and one Absolute Terror, with a Flashback discarded and thus not permanent damage.

Carson vs. Deep One posted:

The Deep One begins to mumble something in an ancient tongue. The words begin as a trickle but build to a torrent of incomprehensible shouts that bury themselves in your mind. Suffer 2 Horror (Lore negates). (Lore: )

ROUND 4 - INVESTIGATOR PHASE

Action Queue
- All: 2 actions.

MONSTERS

TOKENS

INVESTIGATORS
Rita Young (Circlmastr)
Strength 5, Agility 4, Observation 3, Lore 3, Influence 2, Will 4. 0 Clues. 8/9 Health. 3/5 Sanity.

Wither (Attack Spell. Ranged, 2 Damage.)

William Yorick (Istvun)

Lucky Cigarette Case (Once a round, you may convert a clue roll into a success.)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Let's Inspire Bravery in Rita, then Wither the gently caress out this thing.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Rita has brass knucks for a reason. Let's give the monster the ol' one-two! (Which is to say attack it twice.)

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm incredibly tempted to start shouting bible verses at Rita right now

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

Move to the right, search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Istvun posted:

I'm incredibly tempted to start shouting bible verses at Rita right now

I don't believe you've got any way to do this other than having Rita drop back. One move would get you to the top-left of the lobby, but range doesn't count through doors so you can't reach her.