Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

At the start of 2018, Capcom released Monster Hunter World for the Playstation 4 and Xbox One with the PC version released later that year. The series had been over a decade old at this point, and the design team really wanted to take advantage of the power modern gaming consoles had. Many of the older elements were refined, zones were interconnected, and an amazing music score was created for it. The game would be an amazing hit, selling over five million copies in only the first three days.

If you're unfamiliar with the series, you play as a custom hunter who takes on various monsters with a plethora of weapons. Killing a beast lets you carve them for parts, allowing you to create more powerful weapons so you can take on more powerful monsters and repeat the process. There are tons of armor sets you can make, each with their own skills to help you customize your hunter. Combining your play style with your weapon of choice and armor skills is key to taking on some of the most difficult opponents. And the system only gets more additions as the game continues.

While I've done quite a bit in the game and enjoy researching the hell out of a game, I am certainly no master. There will be times when I'll be taking dumb hits or just swinging at the air. However, I'll be doing my best to show off a majority of this game if I can. I haven't played any of the previous games in the series, so I welcome commentary on any repeating monsters after we've encountered them. My brother (Who goes by Ice) will be co-commenting with me, and was the one who introduced me to the game.

*SPOILER POLICY*

Please do not discuss any monsters or big game mechanics till we've covered them in a video. After that, go to town on it. As mentioned, I haven't played earlier Monster Hunter games and would love feedback on changes from earlier in the series.

WEAPONS

There are 14 different weapons in the game and I'll be creating a short breakdown on each you can check out below. I'll be focusing on using Sword and Shield, Hammer, Bow and the Light Bowgun in this LP to show off some of their properties more.

Great Sword
Long Sword
Sword and Shield
Switch Axe
Charge Blade
Lance
Gun Lance
Bow
Light Bowgun
Heavy Bowgun
Insect Glaive
Dual Blades
Hunting Horn
Hammer

What about Iceborn?

There's a new expansion that just came out for MHW on the PC. While I haven't purchased it yet, I would like to include it in the LP as well. Most of it seems to be post-game content so don't expect it till the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 10, 2021

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Audience Participation

First off, we'll need a name for our intrepid hunter! We'll be playing as a female to show off those armor sets, since my main's male. I'll tally up whichever names are most popular after 5 days from launching this thread. You have 16 characters to work with so no silly four letter limitations here!

Instead of having people select parts to build our heroine from, I'm offering a selection of templates. Whichever wins the vote in 5 days, I will try to match our character to!

Our heroine is known for:

1) Being as wild and ferocious as the monsters she hunts
2) Coming out of the roughest fights with her beauty still shining
3) Radiating an aura of fear and intimidation
4) Her goofy and carefree nature always letting her coming out on top
5) Taking all things in life seriously and with the utmost dedication

We don't travel alone! Cat-like Palico's assist our hunter in killing beasts, harvesting items, and by looking out for us! The selection process for this one's going to be a little different however. Post your pet cat pictures and their names so goons can vote on their favorite. The winning beastie will be modeled (to the best of my ability) as our sidekick!

So to summarize, I need 3 things from the audience we'll vote on:

1) A name for our hero (up to 16 characters)
2) Vote for which hero template above you'd like to see
3) Pictures of your cat and their name

I'll give a deadline of the Jan 30th to tally the votes!

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 17, 2020

DrKirre
Jun 11, 2014

Am I a mouse dreaming I'm a cat, or a scratching post dreaming I'm a bowl of wet food? Never assume what you see and feel is real!
Mmm... wet food...
Clearly our heroine is Raven Reborn, former refrigerator and master of the massacre of innocent wildlife.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Good job picking up the torch after my abandoned LP ages ago, good luck!

I'll vote 4 and HBG because big guns are fun.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Enda Clearhart, and 2 Don't have a cat so I can't post one here. Good luck.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fiona

I prefer simple names and it kind of fits with the narrative of the story better

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Weedlordette the Charge Blade user

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade
1) Fiona sounds fine.
2) 4, definitely 4

Sadly, I don't have any pictures of my family's cats that aren't super blurry.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Voting 3, no strong opinions on name.

Apologies for the picture quality, but here's Hawkeye:

He is a grumpy, lazy bastard.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 17, 2020

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I have no strong opinions re: the Hunter's name
For appearance, I would like to vote for the hidden sixth option: wear the Kulu Ya-Ku Head at all times. Failing that, 3.

Catposting: Madeline, pictured here at the height of her power, age 18.

Bonus: blurry feets

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

All I really know about Monster Hunter is you hunt while playing armor fashionista and there's cats.

Hunting giant animals is clearly an old timey English past time so our name should be suitably old timey as well. To pull out some random names: Nelly Bannermane

Since looking good in your armor is important clearly Beauty - 2 - is most important

The last cat I knew was my parents old cat. I don't have any pictures on hand but his name was Hudson which I feel is at least a strong hunting name.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I say make her Byleth since her play style in Smash is what many hoped Hunter would be. Make her carefree and whatever cat wins.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

Kibayasu posted:

Hunting giant animals is clearly an old timey English past time so our name should be suitably old timey as well. To pull out some random names: Nelly Bannermane

That's a good name. I guess I'll vote for archetype 1, and here's a picture of my cat Loki:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

We haven't got any new entries in awhile so let's get some last few votes in to solidify things. And don't worry about voting for a weapon to use! I'm hoping to show off them all in game; And at least make summary videos for them. You've still got till the end of the month to cast your vote!

Our template choices were:
1) Being as wild and ferocious as the monsters she hunts
2) Coming out of the roughest fights with her beauty still shining
3) Radiating an aura of fear and intimidation
4) Her goofy and carefree nature always letting her coming out on top
5) Taking all things in life seriously and with the utmost dedication

With the votes at:
1) 1
2) 2
3) 2
4) 3
5) 0
6) 1 (The Wiggler head is my fave and it'll be hard not to wear 'those' hats constantly)

Names to vote on:
1) Raven Reborn - 1 vote
2) Enda Clearhart - 1 vote
3) Fiona - 2 votes
4) Weedlordette - 1 vote
5) Nelly Bannermane - 2 votes
6) Byleth - 1 vote

And which fuzzy beast will aid us?

1) Hawkeye

2) Madeline

3) Loki

4) Hudson
No pic so I'll create a random design

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Fiona, carefree, and Hawkeye

turol
Jul 31, 2017

3. intimidation
3. Fiona
3. Loki

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
I selfishly vote for Loki to break the tie, feel free to discard my vote.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fiona, carefree, Loki

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Fiona, carefree, Loki

Looks like these will be our winning picks! I'll make our characters tonight, be doing voice overs on the weekend, and hopefully have the next vid up soon after!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Fiona and Loki begin their journey across the sea to Astera! We get our basic tutorials and game mechanics out of the way, right off the bat.

Ice had some microphone issues and had to use his back up. Cleaned it up some, but still a lot of echo. Hopefully will have his better one up n' running next episode.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That was a good intro. I felt previous Monster Hunters were relying way too much on the Tigrex-esque intro to spice up new quests.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
I still haven’t even finished this game but the intro fills me with happy nostalgia.

You did a good job on Loki! Looking forward to seeing all the weapons I haven’t used.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Given the thread's spoiler policy we probably shouldn't be namedropping any monsters that don't return until Iceborne, even one as famous as Tigrex. And speaking of returning from older generation...

Gather round Fivers and I shall give my own history with this franchise and my thoughts on what's been shown so far.

First and foremost, I'm a Third Generation Hunter meaning I started with Monster Hunter Tri on the original Wii and 3 Ultimate on the Wii U. For those unfamiliar, these games introduced the concept of swimming and underwater combat in an attempt to add a vertical element to what had been otherwise flat maps.

While this didn't quite pan out as well as Capcom had hoped, likely because the implementation was premature with the hardware and engine not quite being up to the task it did lead to more vertically based maps in the Fourth Generation which in turn lead to the more naturalistic maps of World such as our starting map, the Ancient Forest.

And while I do have a soft spot for Moga Village (the offline hub of Tri/3U), I do think Astera is one of the best towns of any Monster Hunter I've played though it's not perfect and I do consider Iceborne's base better for reasons you might get into at a later date. One nice detail is that Astera is very clearly built from the ships used to come here hence why you see pieces of those ships in the architecture.

And when you say that people have been living in Astera for a long time you were not kidding as those paying attention to the in-game dialogue may have heard the Field Team Leader, the guy with the Giant Jawblade on his back, mention that he was born and raised in Astera and that he is the grandson of the Commander who chose to stay with his grandfather while his parents returned to the Old World as he considers Astera his home.

The pointed-eared guys you saw in the meeting are a race known as the Wyverians: Humanoids possessing several traits that suggest a wyvern ancestry such as their pointed ears, four-fingered hands and many having digitigrade legs.

Meanwhile the bipedal felinoids like the Meowscular Chef and our own Palico friend are a species known as Felynes, Lynian class monsters known to perform a variety of jobs in villages from shopkeeping to farm maintenance. You could even play as a Felyne hunter known as a Prowler in Generations and Generations Ultimate.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Chimera-gui posted:

Gather round Fivers and I shall give my own history with this franchise and my thoughts on what's been shown so far.

First and foremost, I'm a Third Generation Hunter meaning I started with Monster Hunter Tri on the original Wii

how does a twelve-year-old manage to act so pompous

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Considering it seems everyone else made it perfectly fine and probably didn't have to run from a pack of giant lizards in retrospect it seems just waiting in the ship until it slid back into the ocean would have been the better choice.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Chimera-gui posted:

Meanwhile the bipedal felinoids like the Meowscular Chef and our own Palico friend are a species known as Felynes, Lynian class monsters known to perform a variety of jobs in villages from shopkeeping to farm maintenance. You could even play as a Felyne hunter known as a Prowler in Generations and Generations Ultimate.
I´m going to be honest, if Capcom were to release a DLC that let´s you play as your Felyne I´d buy that sucker day one, no questions asked.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

We take a more detailed tour through the city this time and look at our armor options. Accepting the first mission lets us go after those jagras that harassed us as soon as we arrived here.

*New version is up now!

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 17, 2020

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Regular game is for sale on Steam (though not Iceborn). Happens fairly regularly, but thought I'd mention it for those who're interested in playing along with the LP.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Welcome to the Palico gym where it's all about MAX GAINS!

Also I am thankful the palico speech doesn't end with -nya.

Might need to be mindful of the timing of those, what I assume is, censor bars since they crop up at weird times.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 16, 2020

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
The First Aid med in the hunt box is almost a full heal most of the time, I never miss grabbing it.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Might need to be mindful of the timing of those, what I assume is, censor bars since they crop up at weird times.

Looks like some of those slid during editing, thanks for pointing that out. I'll get a new version up later.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The Defender stuff is meant to get to Iceborne faster since IB unlocks as soon as you complete the base game's story mode.

While Hunters have a high metabolism, the Handler is especially notorious for being a lover of food to the point her of her purchasable costumes is a chef. I would also pay attention to her comment when you entered the Gathering Hub because that ties into a quirk of festivals.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 18, 2020

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

u no handler has lots of costumes n monster hunter has had food and chef themed weapons and armor since the beginning

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

How grindy is this game compared to something like MH2 or MH2G?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

How grindy is this game compared to something like MH2 or MH2G?

While I haven't played them myself, Ice was saying they're much easier; Both in difficulty and the amount of grinding needed. There's a few systems we'll see later on that help with harvesting too.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

2G (Freedom Unite to the US) is pretty stingy with, uh, everything. Compared to World... Let's just say that in World there is no such thing as a limited resource. Lots of content in both, but lots of resources in World with which to enjoy it all.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah that was a big problem for me with 2G

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

We head into the Ancient Forest to clear out some Kestodon and run into a very hungry and agitated Great Jagras.

I lie. The Pukei-pukei fight won't be in episode 4

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Ah yes, arguably one of my favorite starting monsters if only cause it's not another raptor. For those who don't already know, the first two generations often had Velocidrome as your earliest large monster:

In generation three, this was changed to Great Jaggi with the fourth generation game Generations and Generations Ultimate starting you off with a monster name Great Maccao:

Unlike all three which are Bird Wyverns, Great Jagras is a Fanged Wyvern: