Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, the game is about to enter its passive mode this December with Update 15.10 which means that 1) Fests will rotate every 2 weeks and 2) Virtually all Event Quests will effectively be live permanently.

And as someone who started in generation three, I learned to fear and respect Deviljho for reasons we will learn soon enough. All you need to know about him and Bazel is they the first of category of monsters that will be a recurring thorn in the LP's side from this point onward as well as the only two monsters in this category to appear in High Rank.

And as cute as the Handler's HR Halloween outfit is, I adore her Master Rank Halloween outfit.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It might just be me but all the ranged weapons seem to have an inherent awkwardness to them that just doesn't make them work by themselves.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Time to let the light bowgun shine as we take on one of World's most irritating monsters; Bazelgeuse! A flying behemoth with explosive pods mounted to it's body sounds quite dangerous (and it is!), but gives quite the opportunity to show off this weapon's benefits!

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 2, 2021

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Oh the B52, this guy's a loving hoot. Bazel is notorious for his antics whenever you're fighting something else and is especially bad when you've managed to get two monsters in the same area to try to coax a Turf War.

The male Brigade set is meant to represent Guild Knights who are special hunters trusted to protect the Hunter's Guild and to oversee regular hunters namely by hunting down and killing poachers, hunters that break the rules of the Hunter's Guild, and wanted murderers. A notable group of Guild Knights are the Ace Hunters though other notable Knights include the Minegarde Sweetheart Becky and Felcote, a Felyne who lives in Pokke Village. And speaking of Guild Receptionists, the female Brigade set meanwhile is the uniform of the Astera hub ones.

And there is a Resident Evil event quest but it is in Master Rank to do using a MR exclusive variant of a monster we haven't met yet.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
You handled that Bagel really well: like it was mentioned in the video, it can be a pain to fight when you don't know its attacks or lack ranged options because of the explosive scales, since it's kinda random when they drop and as such you can end up with one placed right in front of you while you are in the middle of a melee attack, like when you are about to get that last Spirit Blade hit in.
Ranged weapons all work pretty well against it because of it, as well as melee weapons with good reach like the Longsword thrust attacks or an Insect Glaive with the ability to just leap over most of the danger.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well I guess I should take back my post about ranged weapons because that went extremely smoothly.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

It can be very rock/paper/scissors sometimes. I can ace Odo with a light bowgun no problem. Taking on Uragaan with it is another matter entirely.

Though, I did get some good practice in between episodes too...

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

We return to the elder recess to take on another dragon variant we've seen, but not yet fought! The shield on our heavy bowgun comes in quite handy against it's fire and poison attacks as you'll see.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

The MH Rise trailer for heavy bowgun got me interested in giving the weapon an honest shot, so I made a new character to go through the whole game with just HBG. I'm almost done with low rank, and it has been a lot of fun so far. I expected that the weapon would really struggle with faster monsters like Odogaron, but that hasn't really been the case.

Wyvernsnipe is great for damage as shown in this episode, but Wyvernheart is, in my experience, one of the best abilities for breaking parts.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I´m a very uncomplicated man at heart and every time I go for a hunt I could think tactically and go for Wyvernsnipe ammo but the moment I hit the loadoutscreen my head always go MOAR DAKKA!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Diablos is known to be one of the most aggressive creatures in Monster Hunter World. But when mating season comes, it's hide turns a jet black shade and it furiously attempts to remove any intruders from it's domain.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
The first time encountering Black Diablos can be a really nasty surprise, since not only she hits much harder but as was shown in the video, her repertoire of attacks is expanded, which this video showed it off well.
Another important thing that was shown is why having a few shield mods equipped are so important on heavy bowguns: while the dodge range for the HBG is very good, it is still not the fastest of dodges and when needing to heal or use an item, it's a very slow weapon to put away, so the shield is an important part in reducing the incoming damage.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Funny thing about Black Diablos is that officially she's designated as a Subspecies like Pink Rathian and and Azure Rathalos however this designation does not actually make sense ecologically as subspecies is defined by the Guild as a population of monsters in which environmental factors or adaptive evolution has caused a certain group of monsters to change or mutate over time, creating the subspecies.

The reason this design isn't correct for Black Diablos as she is simply a regular Diablos that has gone into heat as Bricks and Ice explained which means she should actually be classified as a Variant, which are individuals of a given species of monster that often almost identical to a common individual but possess one or more certain unique traits that set them apart.

She's one of four monsters that were incorrectly designated as Subspecies but should actually be designated as Variant; the other three being Red Khezu (which is actually a Khezu with its normal coloration while the more common white Khezu are in fact albinos), Black Gravios (which are Gravios that were badly burnt by lava during the Basarios stage of their life cycle) and finally Shah Dalamadur (which is a regular Dalamadur that just recently undergone molting off its old skin leaving it in a relatively defenseless state compared to how it is normally).

Based on my research, it seems like the designation of Black Diablos, Red Khezu and Black Gravios as Subspecies was an artifact of Monster Hunter G not having Variant as a designation.

The first monster to get the designation of Variant was Rusted Kushala Daora who was introduced in Monster Hunter 2 but there is actually a Variant who has been appearing in the series since Monster Hunter Freedom, making it the first and only Variant in the Monster Hunter series to be introduced before its standard version as well despite not being codified as a Variant until Iceborne.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

He's big. He's mean. And he's -hungry-! We tangled with this beasty once before during the Zorah encounter, but now it's time to go toe to claw with fury made flesh: Nergigante!

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

thiswayliesmadness posted:

He's big. He's mean. And he's -hungry-! We tangled with this beasty once before during the Zorah encounter, but now it's time to go toe to claw with fury made flesh: Nergigante!

Wait, you took Nergigante's super dive, at this level, twice, and didn't come close to dying either time? Did they nerf him in Iceborne, because my memory is that was a guaranteed one-shot until you were in pure end-game stuff, and even then it was a near thing.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Gothsheep posted:

Wait, you took Nergigante's super dive, at this level, twice, and didn't come close to dying either time? Did they nerf him in Iceborne, because my memory is that was a guaranteed one-shot until you were in pure end-game stuff, and even then it was a near thing.

Honestly, I was thinking the same thing during the fight. I can't seem to find anything about his dive getting nerfed though. Fully upgraded armor and the divine charm might have helped or being so off center from his dives.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Honestly, I was thinking the same thing during the fight. I can't seem to find anything about his dive getting nerfed though. Fully upgraded armor and the divine charm might have helped or being so off center from his dives.

I don't think the divine charm even procced when you got hit by it. I'm pretty sure you survived it on your defense stat alone.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I believe Jho only becomes available after you complete HR story since it is one of several post story Special Assignments, being among the HR set of them while Master Rank has its own set of Special Assignments.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Boy it's easy to forget just how fast dual blades are after so many videos. Just rocketing up and down that spine.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Time for some catch up! Now that we're showing off goodies from the expansion, it's time to go into detail on the awesome clutch claw! Fiona has a bunch of specialty gear like mantles that can be very useful. Especially for making money! And our palico friend has a gift waiting for him if he can sneak past his savage Gajalaka cousins.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Slamming enemies into walls using the new Iceborne mechanics is so, so fun.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Even if they don't hit a wall, dumping all your slinger ammo at once into their face has become a favorite tactic of mine.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Ah the Gajalakas have easily one of the most useful gadget after the Plunderblade and Coral Orchestra, for me at least, though there is a final gadget which you have to be well into Iceborne's story to get.

And yes the Gajas do play a role in one of the High Rank Special Assignments I mentioned previously though that SA has more story to it than Jho's.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Elder Dragons are known for their ability to alter the environment nearby with just their presence. And deep within the bowels of The Rotten Vale lies a creature that is rumored to be the source of all the toxic effluvium...

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Ah yes, the Corpse Coat Dragon: So titled from the fact that its body has many spikes used for attaching rotten flesh and muscle to its body, allowing it to wear corpses like a coat and use the effluvium freely. In fact, Vaal Hazak actually sustains itself on effluvium as the reason it has a second pair of jaws isn't for ripping flesh but rather for holding prey. It doesn’t need to swallow prey whole, it just needs to capture its victim with its extendable jaws at which point Vaal will proceed to suck up the nutrient-filled effluvium from its struggling victim and converts that meal into energy.

This is why Vaal Hazak's stomach is small with its gastric acid being low pH level, allowing Vaal to sustain itself on effluvium alone. Vaal Hazak's other internal organs are small and short as well since it doesn't eat any plants or meat, with a exception of its liver which is large as it needs to get rid of toxins inside of its body.

What's interesting is that while most monsters fear Elder Dragons to the of fleeing the moment one appears in an ecosystem, smaller creatures don't run from Vaal Hazak for some reason but rather they stay close to it. The reason Vaal Hazak lets these smaller monsters live in its territory is so it has an extra supply of effluvium if left in a dire situation.

This is because while Vaal can manipulate the effluvium, but can't produce its own, meaning it will lose it over time as it fights and is damaged in combat. And as seen in the fight, small monsters are known to become more aggressive while covered in effluvium and attack anything else they encounter on sight:

It's also worth noting that usually, effluvium can only be found in the middle section of the Rotten Vale but it’ll also cover other parts of it if too many corpses fall in the area at once. Large amounts of oxygen is needed for decomposition, and too much effluvium can affect the fragile ecosystem. In fact if it wasn’t for Vaal Hazak, the Rotten Vale actually would cease to exist. By feeding on the bacteria and making the tainted meat on its body a breeding ground for it, Vaal Hazak is able to maintain the bacteria’s population and spread it evenly throughout its environment.

One last note, yellow spots on each side of Vaal Hazak's face are a pair of bioluminescent organs that are often confused with its eyes whereas its real eyes are small and red in color.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Oh look, it's my least favorite dragon ever to fight. Well, until quite a bit later and we will meet my super least favorite.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I remember hating Vaal Hazak the first few times I fought it, but nowadays I actually have fun with its fights. Not my favorite, but definitely not something I hate.
Although I think the main issue with Vaal Hazak is that the Effluvium mechanic is not very fun: aside from the constant chip damage, getting your healthbar suddenly halved is just not that fun of a mechanic and one that I feel like exists just to make the two Effluvia skills not just worth bringing but feel mandatory (along with long-duration mantles). There has been another monster with a similar mechanic in previous games (Gore Magala's Frenzy Virus), but it was done in a more interesting way there. With that said, they did make it a bit more interesting in one event quest in Iceborne, but there's no reason to talk about it now.

As for the clutch claw, slamming monsters into a wall never gets old, but the softening mechanic hasn't been received quite as well by the community mainly because of one change to the Weakness Exploit skill to encourage players to use this new mechanic.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Neat design and a couple of quite appropriate arenas for a zombie dragon. Its certainly a matter of knowing when to use it but for a game that seems to value mobility the bow seemed to be quite well suited for that fight.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

DreadUnknown posted:

Oh look, it's my least favorite dragon ever to fight. Well, until quite a bit later and we will meet my super least favorite.

The next one is hands down near the top of most annoying monsters in the game. Not difficult. Just annoying in so many ways. Working on the audio for that and should have it up before weeks end!

Please keep posting any neat artwork they did! Appreciate it!

radintorov posted:

Effluvium and Claw stuff

The elder dragons -need- prep before engaging and sadly effluvium resistance is a must for this one. I didn't even have mine maxed out though, so it's not too debilitating. For now...

Claw is a really nice addition to the game and many weapons use it in some cool combo methods. While I can see some people being upset over changes to skills, with all the new armor/skills/etc. in the expansion they'd have to adjust their builds anyways. Later beasties seem especially weak to some of the new tactics like weakening, but it's quite delicious when it's to getting slinger wall smashed.

Kibayasu posted:

Neat design and a couple of quite appropriate arenas for a zombie dragon. Its certainly a matter of knowing when to use it but for a game that seems to value mobility the bow seemed to be quite well suited for that fight.

Now that armor skills are getting expanded a lot (very much so with the elder dragon armors), bow can really shine. It's very weak to start but increasing elemental damage like my cohost mentioned can be brutal. The bits you get from breaking Vaal's head are used in many of it's armor and weapons, so being able to actually hit such a high up target can be vital.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

The elder dragons -need- prep before engaging and sadly effluvium resistance is a must for this one. I didn't even have mine maxed out though, so it's not too debilitating. For now...
Oh absolutely: I like keeping my equipment sets with a few decoration slots empty so I can slot in specific defensive jewels like ones that boost a specific elemental resistance or just get stun resistance because they provide a bit of a margin of error and I don't mind trading off a bit of damage for a bit of added comfort. Doing the proper preparation before a hunt never goes to waste.

Claw is a really nice addition to the game and many weapons use it in some cool combo methods. While I can see some people being upset over changes to skills, with all the new armor/skills/etc. in the expansion they'd have to adjust their builds anyways. Later beasties seem especially weak to some of the new tactics like weakening, but it's quite delicious when it's to getting slinger wall smashed.
Well, it's not just the changes to the skill, but that's my fault for not going into detail in the previous post. If you'll allow it I can go into further detail as to how the system used to play out, but nowadays the developers have added one thing that allowed players to better engage with this. I will also say that the clutch claw is definitely one of the examples as to Capcom always trying new mechanics with Monster Hunter: no two games are ever the same because of this and it's something that is worth appreciating about this series.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

At the highest peaks of the land, the Elder Dragon Kushala Daora can be found. This monster is infamous for being one of the hardest creatures to engage in the entire game and we take it on with one of the most difficult weapons!

radintorov posted:

Well, it's not just the changes to the skill, but that's my fault for not going into detail in the previous post. If you'll allow it I can go into further detail as to how the system used to play out, but nowadays the developers have added one thing that allowed players to better engage with this. I will also say that the clutch claw is definitely one of the examples as to Capcom always trying new mechanics with Monster Hunter: no two games are ever the same because of this and it's something that is worth appreciating about this series.

Feel free to go into any details that aren't spoiler territory! Always interesting to hear about how elements of the game evolved.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Alright. As I said before, while the change to Weakness Exploit is one of the main factor, it's not the only reason the clutch claw had mixed reception.
From both my experience and the criticisms I've read about it, I believe that the factors are Weakness Exploit changes, how the clutch claw interacts with each weapon, duration of the "Tenderize" and just how the clutch claw has to be used.

To start with, Weakness Exploit is a skill that was introduced in the base game, and originally it provided additional Affinity (critical chance) when striking a weak point that depended on the level of the skill, namely +15/+30/+50%.
The incredible amount of critical % chance this skill added while also combined with how normally Elemental damage has a maximum cap meant that in World the go-to for damage was making a critical build with as high a Raw damage (ie the Attack skill) possible, while elemental was usually relegated to the few weapons that could get the most out of it like the Dual Blades and everything else would usually use either straight up Raw damage (the Wyvern Ignite GS is a good example) or rely on Ailments like Blast and Poison for added damage and Paralysis or Sleep for utility.
With Iceborne the skill was changed to providing a +10/+15/+30% chance when hitting a weak spot and an additional +5/+15/+20% when hitting a wounded part from a tenderize attack; this meant that to get the most out of a skill that already relied on correct positioning, a player had to get a clutch claw attack in, which can be hard since barring a couple of exception most monster will shake off the player before the attack can be performed. This alone isn't enough to explain why it wasn't well-received, so this is where the other factors come in.

Regarding the duration, when Iceborne launched, the Tenderize attack wounded a part for 1 minutes and 30 seconds, which meant that to get the most out of Weakness Exploit and/or when fighting monsters that are armored a player had to regularly perform a clutch claw attack to get the most out of the skill and/or not bounce attacks constantly (at least until the part was broken). Given that a player can't always be on the attack, especially against certain monsters, it meant that the window to get the most out of the skill could be pretty small at times.

Additionally there is how weapons in Iceborne are divided into "Light" and "Heavy", with Light weapons dropping a slinger pod when performing a clutch claw attack, but requiring two attacks (or slapping the monster part twice with the claw before attacking) to wound the part while Heavy weapons don't drop pods but only require a single attack. I suspect the idea for this was to encourage having Heavy weapons being the ones to focus on wounding parts while Light weapons focused on providing slinger ammo for all the weapons that had new slinger burst attack added to them.. Unfortunately this means that if someone is playing solo or if they are playing in a group with all Light weapons, wounding a monster part can get a bit hectic while also saturating a monster to the point it won't drop more slinger pods later.
Finally, aside from a couple of notable exception, the only way to get a clutch claw attack in with most weapons involve the character stopping in their track, pulling out the claw and then hoping not to get shaken off by the monster before being able to get the wound.
This combination of elements made it so that a lot of player felt like the clutch claw was too clunky to use while also penalizing certain weapons and styles of play.

Now, I did mention that there were exceptions to how clutch claw attacks were done and this is because even before these changes (which have been a general improvement) some weapons had alternative modes of using the clutch claw; these weapons are the Insect Glaive, Hammer, Sword and Shield and the Lance.
The Insect Glaive is the weapon where this has the least impact: it is possible to activate the claw while vaulting around and the hunter will clutch the monster, but for all intents and purposes it's a normal clutch claw attack and also it can be a bit random where the character will latch onto.
With Hammer and SnS the changes are a bit more substantial: with SnS it's possible to perform a special clutch claw attack after a roll which has the added effect of requiring a single tenderize attack to wound the monster part when normally it would take two attacks, while with the Hammer it's possible to activate the claw after performing a level 2 or 3 charge attack which will send the hunter flying at the monster, hitting them for a decent amount of damage and allowing a follow-up tenderize attack. These two special clutch claw attack allow these weapons the ability to easily keep a monster tenderized.

The Lance is the weapon that I feel benefited the most from the addition of the clutch claw, the first being that the Lance has a new Guard Shot stance that is activated by holding down the slinger button and allows the player to peform a slinger burst while also guarding against attacks from the front which, like other slinger bursts attack, can be really useful to create openings by staggering a monster with the right ammunition.
The second and most important change, however, is the addition of the Counter Claw, which can be activated during either a Guard Shot or Counter Thrust to have the hunter pull out the claw while being in an improved guard stance similar to Power Guard in that it has a higher level of block and drains stamina while active (and also I think it protects all around the hunter): when a non-aoe/ranged monster attack hits the character, the hunter will perform an incredibly stylish counter which will end with them latched onto the monster while also benefiting from a few seconds of hyper armor, preventing a monster from being able to shake them off.
Aside from looking awesome, this new counter integrates the clutch claw into the Lance moveset really well while giving one of the more straightforward weapon a really awesome-looking and satisfying move.

Finally, Capcom did listen to the criticisms and addressed them with a couple of changes brought by the 15.01.00 update last October.
There were two major changes: the first one was the addition of the Clutch Claw Boost skill which allows Light weapons to wound in a single attack and Heavy weapons to drop a slinger pod, all the cost of a decoration slot; the other change was doubling the duration of the wound to 3 minutes, which made it so players could focus more on the actual combat and less on attacking with the clutch claw.
These two changes made it so the Tenderize mechanic flows better while also allowing Light weapon players (especially when solo hunting) the option of trading off one of their size 2 decoration slots (which tend to have a lot of very useful skills) for the ability of wounding a part with a single attack.

The Clutch Claw attack is one of those examples of Capcom trying out new mechanics to keep the games fresh and this one was an addition to the slinger introduced in base World. While it had a mixed response, the tweaks Capcom made to it have definitely improved how it feels to use while also improving the experience of fighting a few specific monsters that we've yet to see that have always been a bit of a pain to fight in previous games because of their tendecy to have attacks bounce off regardless of sharpness level, something that wounding helps prevent. When we get to them, I will point out which ones they are.

I do apologize for the wall of text and my rambling, but I find game design a fascinating subject and I found the way Capcom has implemented and later tweaked this new mechanic to be interesting to examine.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 26, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

radintorov posted:

Now, I did mention that there were exceptions to how clutch claw attacks were done and this is because even before these changes (which have been a general improvement) some weapons had alternative modes of using the clutch claw; these weapons are the Insect Glaive, Hammer, Sword and Shield and the Lance.

There's actually one more weapon to add to this list: Dual Blades! In archdemon after finishing a triple spin combo you can tap the Clutch Claw button to grab onto the nearest monster part. It then enables an incredibly fast follow up attack that also instantly tenderizes! It can be a bit hard to control but ultimately makes the weapon flow way better solo and in groups.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

There's actually one more weapon to add to this list: Dual Blades! In archdemon after finishing a triple spin combo you can tap the Clutch Claw button to grab onto the nearest monster part. It then enables an incredibly fast follow up attack that also instantly tenderizes! It can be a bit hard to control but ultimately makes the weapon flow way better solo and in groups.
Thank you for this addition! I haven't used the Dual Blades a lot so I was unaware of this additional attack in archdemon mode.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The gunlance looks like the kind of weapon you use for that ONE amazing attack you get during a hunt.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

The gunlance looks like the kind of weapon you use for that ONE amazing attack you get during a hunt.
That is very much the case with Normal shelling.
I don't remember if it was talked about in the video, but Gunlances have three types of shells, Normal, Wide and Long, and each type is optimized for a specific way of using the weapon.
Normal shells are optimized for performing Full Bursts, which is arguably the more fun way of playing the Gunlance: the rotation for it is to do an upward swing, followed by a downward smash which then allows the player to unload all the ammo in a single burst.
Long shells are the only ones that have any range and are optimized to use charged shots: to perform a charged shots, the player has to hold down the blast key after an attack, so the combo usually alternates pokes and charged shelling until it's time to reset with a quick reload. Thanks to Long shells having actual range, they are also good for dealing with flying monsters, since the player can use an upward swing to aim the charged shell up.
Finally Wide shells are optimized for regular blasts, with the combo being poke>blast>poke>blast until it's time to reset with a reload. Of the three styles it's the one that can be described as "boring but effective" since it outputs regular damage while having low animation commitment so that it's easier to dodge or raise the shield when an attack is coming.
Also when I say "optimized" it's because each shell type has different hidden modifiers with the various attacks: Long deals the most damage with charged blasts but they have less stagger potential while Wide charged blasts deal overall less damage than just using regular blasts but their stagger value is much higher, for example.

One thing that I do remember was talked about in the video was how the Gunlance feels like it tries to do too much by being both melee and ranged and I disagree: the Gunlance is a dedicated melee weapon and all the combos involve hitting the monster with the weapon to then transition into one of the blast attacks, and its shield is there to allow the player to maintain their position close to the monster. It's just that it trades off the Lance ability to transition into various counters at any time and dedicated moves that help with mobility with having a much increased damage output thanks to its shells ignoring armor and hit zones: regardless of where you hit a monster, a shell will always deal 100% of its damage.

Edit:
I need to add that just because shells are optimized for different playstyles it doesn't mean you should never use certain moves: big example that comes to mind is that one of the fastest ways of applying a Wyrmstake, and especially Iceborne's Wyrmstake Blast, is by performing three blasts in a row, with the third one being a quick Wyrmstake instead of a blast. So even with a Long or Normal shelling Gunlance, there are times to use different combos.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 8, 2021

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Fiona has been working really hard taking down all these beasties, so time to give her a break and call in a ringer to help! Our latest Elder Dragon is a master of fire and blast attacks: The mighty Teostra!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Ah yes, my second Elder Dragon of all MH after Chameleos and the Elder I had the least difficulty with in base World.

I do love shot of him staring you down through the lava in the cutscene, just the intensity of that shot. He also has one of the better handled themes of the returning monsters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qofiBSlrVl8

Oh and I know who you're talking about and oh boy, she's gonna be fun.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I admit I felt a little bad at the end when you kept denying that Teostra with your pods. :v:
As for the monster himself, there are few interesting things of note when fighting it.
To start with, the Supernova itself can indeed be blocked with the Guard Up skill, and both Lance and Gunlance's shields can really mitigate its impact; however in World the casting time for it has been increased compared to the previous games and its blast radius is relatively tiny, to the point that it's possible to run out of it with most weapons still drawn if one is quick enough to react.
Additionally, as was mentioned in the video, Teostra uses both both Fire and Blast, and the way he does is that during combat it can activate an aura tied to either of those: while the Fire aura is active, all his fire attacks are boosted and being close to Teostra will lead to chip damage that cannot be defended against; while the Blast aura is active, it's when he leaves behind the explosive clouds and can perform special Blast breath attacks. Also some of the attacks will have additional effects, like leaving an area of ground on fire for a bit which will deal damage. It's possible to force Teostra out of an aura by staggering or KO'ing it out of it or by proccing the Dragonseal on a Dragon element weapon.

There are also a few quirks about the auras and their visuals: Teostra appears to have a sort of "pre-aura" phase where it will have some of the visuals of a full aura but not the full effects, like appearing to be partially on fire but won't cause fire damage or some blast particles but won't perform his special blast attacks. When going into a full aura, the visuals will intensify with more fire or more blast particles visible, as well as all the other mechanical effects.
Also it appears that both auras can be active at the same time but only the visuals for one will show.

Going back to the Supernova, it is actually possible to predict when Teostra will perform that attack: in the previous games it was on a timer, but in World it's tied to the number of attacks Teostra performs after he activates his Fire aura and is in an enraged status. The number of attack Teostra will perform before the supenova is 15, although the number is not precise since it appears that staggering or KO'ing the monster can cause it to supernova one or two attacks earlier than 15. And since the visuals of Blast aura can hide the fact he activated his Fire aura it can be hard to tell.

Most of the information above comes from this video guide covering this monster in detail, since I am nowhere good enough to be able to observe all of this stuff on my own :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMoEvf8b_Vw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Zorah Magdaros coming to the continent. Nergigante going on a rampage. Elder Dragons becoming agitated. The system of death and rebirth that links each region. A deep thread runs through all of these events and The Seeker has found it's secret.