Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Zorah Magdaros coming to the continent. Nergigante going on a rampage. Elder Dragons becoming agitated. The system of death and rebirth that links each region. A deep thread runs through all of these events and The Seeker has found it's secret.
Congratulations on finishing World's main story! This final boss' design is definitely cool and the fight itself is interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh of course, alien dragons, its so obvious.

I do enjoy that vaulting attack on the glaive. Like you mentioned its attack almost seems secondary to the ability to put that much distance between where you start and where you land compared to a dodge.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

There are so many quests we can do now that the main game has been completed! But first, Fiona is going to take care of a mission that we've been hungry to do for awhile...

Sorry for the delay getting this latest one up. Had a back injury, Ice and my schedules weren't lining up and so much more. But we're back in gear and continuing the adventure!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That was probably the starkest difference between men and women designs for an armor set we've seen in a while. Deviljho B for men is just straight up Lord Zed with bigger pauldrons though so comparisons to Power Ranges are certainly apt.

Also that lance looks like a Resident Evil puzzle piece. Insert the hexagon blocks in the right order to unlock the spear door.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

It's a nice change up from guys getting a suit of armor and ladies getting the battle ballgown. Really love the design on the Kirin lance and it's so large that it's hard not to notice. That cool ring has been compared to at least a dozen different things, but I can't find what it's actually based off of. And considering how the game pulls from a variety of obscure lore...

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
the Xeno'Jiiva armor is gorgeous looking, and I love to have it layered. And Razor Sharp / Spare shot is a hilarious skill. One of my favorite builds is using explosive shot bowguns with spare shot. You can just keep up a nonstop stream of missiles. As for the Pickled Armor, it's kinda eeh imo, but a few of the pieces are nice when mixed with other sets.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Today we're going to start tackling one of the longer crossover missions over 2 episodes. Some odd creature that's never been seen before has been found in the Ancient Forest. Luckily, an expert portals in to help us...

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
While there are quite a few Collaboration variants of existing Monsters which are styled after characters from other works, there are only a handful of monsters that have crossed into Monster Hunter's universe from the universe of another work.

Most of these unique Collaboration Monsters admittedly are exclusive to the spinoff games Stories and Riders, namely the former has Kurenai Goukami from Puzzles & Dragons X and Epona from The Legend of Zelda:

Meanwhile Riders gives us Estark (along with a blue variant called Lord of the Underworld in-game which is not pictured), Golem, Great Sabrecat, Healslime, Killing Machine, Liquid Metal Slime, Slime and Zoma from the Dragon Quest franchise:

Moving on from Collaboration Monsters and onto the the quest itself; you might notice in both this and the next video but in stark contrast to how Witchers are treated in Geralt's world, the members of the Commission are considerably respectful towards Geralt as a fellow monster hunter even if the exacts are different in that Witchers have mutations and magic whereas Hunters have science and monster parts.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
This collaboration is definitely one of the better ones in the base game: most collabs are just normal hunts or arena fights with gimmicks but without the added work put into it like with this one having fully voiced cutscenes and trying to emulate elements of the game that is part of the collaboration.
Of note is that, in addition to structuring the hunt like one of the Witcher 3 investigations with the collection of clues and talking to NPCs (with some nice optional dialogue too), the Witcher's Swords play like the regular sword and shield but has received some animation tweaks: while Geralt still holds the sword with his left hand and sheathes/unsheates it like hunters do, the moves that normally utilize a shield instead show Geralt employing the Aard sign for shield bashes and the Quen sign while blocking. Animation tweaks like that are present in some other collabs weapons and it's a nice added visual element they bring to the game that help make those weapon stand out a little more.

I do have one small nitpick, and that's when you talked about the Switchaxe's slinger burst, you were instead using the regular slinger: the Switchaxe slinger burst can be performed to end a Wild Swing combo or at the end of a Morph Slash back into axe mode; using it to end a Wild Swing gives the Switchaxe a much needed defensive move since it's will quickly move your character backward a decent distance, hopefully out of range of a monster's attack.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
You haven't shown it in the LP yet so I won't go into detail, but the actual fight for this quest is probably the only fight in all of MHW that I just really dislike. It's such a huge pain in the rear end. With that in mind, I'm looking forward to seeing how your hunt goes! It can't go nearly as badly as mine did.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

You haven't shown it in the LP yet so I won't go into detail, but the actual fight for this quest is probably the only fight in all of MHW that I just really dislike. It's such a huge pain in the rear end. With that in mind, I'm looking forward to seeing how your hunt goes! It can't go nearly as badly as mine did.

Yeah while I do prefer this upcoming monster compared to the other big collaboration Special Assignment in MHW for a number of reasons, I did struggle with it when I first tried the assignment.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Given that I was playing Witcher 3 at the time I had heard about the crossover but I had always assumed it was just some cutscenes and an AI partner or something. I didn't realize it was going to be so Witchery, that's actually kind of exciting!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Wind's howling.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Time to finish off The Witcher crossover event! We've taken care of all the side missions and will journey into the heart of the forest to combat the cause of all this mayhem.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I find it funny that you said that the single Attack jewel is not a good reward, because back in base World it was. It was a fantastic reward, because those decorations were nigh impossible to get, and due to how Elemental damage was capped Raw power was the way to go even with weapons that normally benefit from Elements like Dual Blades. As such everyone wanted as many Attack decorations as they could get. Which weren't many because they have an abysmal drop chance. :v:
Nowadays Attack decorations are no longer the go-to for optimal damage thanks to a few changes Iceborne introduced, like a raised Elemental damage cap, chance in how much Elemental damage you would get in the first place and other additions that make it so Elemental is the way to go for most weapons.

There's not much I can add over what was told in the video, so I'll instead talk about the music in the victory screen: unlike the rest of the music during the hunt and the prior cutscenes, it's not taken directly from The Witcher 3, but instead it's an original creation, a more energetic version of Geralt's theme mixed with elements of Stars at Our Backs, the main theme of Monster Hunter World. Unfortunately, this original music (as well as other themes added later in the game) is not present in any official soundtrack Capcom has released. Which is frustrating because the music in this game is amazing, and so are those missing tracks. :argh:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

We haven't talked about the music really, but it's quite impressive. Love the way how some monsters will have their own theme that overtakes the current music so you know you're in an "oh poo poo" moment. I doubt many listened through the entire credits music but that was a great example of how much effort they put into the soundtrack. Sad they left good ones like the Witcher track out...

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The music in monster hunter is not only fantastic but integral to the experience. Even if you don't know the name of the track, Proof of a Hero is so iconic anyone who's played the series will immediately know it when they hear it. World especially has some real bangers, Pride of a Nameless Hunter is fantastic, along with various monster themes. Can't wait till you get stuck into Iceborne so we get to some of my faves.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
One of my favorite changes from Rise is they made aerial glaive viable. It's so much fun, and it's actually good in that game. It rules.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hey, its that pukei-pukei.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

In the background I've been tackling a Teostra fight inside the Wildspire Waste. Now that he's injured, the beast has retreated to one of our special arenas to restore itself by eating gunpowder. Nergigante senses easy prey in the injured creature... but he's not alone!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

thiswayliesmadness posted:

In the background I've been tackling a Teostra fight inside the Wildspire Waste. Now that he's injured, the beast has retreated to one of our special arenas to restore itself by eating gunpowder. Nergigante senses easy prey in the injured creature... but he's not alone!

Huh, I had no idea you could just wait out the timer in camp. I thought to complete the quest you had to actually repel Lunastra.

E: I agree, I absolutely love the Kulu Ya-Ku head. I'm so glad they added it as layered armor eventually.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 25, 2021

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
The Greatsword got the least amount of changes going from World to Iceborne with "just" the slinger burst, but you did show why this addition was such a good improvement to the weapon.
The new slinger burst really complements the GS for a few reasons: first off, it allows the player to pivot to readjust their aim if the monster moved too far between charged attacks; additionally, as was talked about in the video, it makes getting to the True Charged Slash faster than you could before in World (where the technique was to cancel the first two charged attacks into shoulder tackles); finally, with the right ammo, the burst will reliably flinch monsters which can provide an opening for a TCS where normally there might not be one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That gunpowder could stand to be secured better if not one, not two, but three monsters can just fly right in there.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

The power couple of Lunastra and Teostra unite against us in this challenging battle! The fight is not an easy one with death hanging over my shoulder the whole time. But the reward! Oh how that makes this worthwhile.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
As a Glaive user, I've killed a few monsters with by launching the Kinsect at them to get essence

Kibayasu posted:

That gunpowder could stand to be secured better if not one, not two, but three monsters can just fly right in there.

.To be fair two of those monsters only went there because of the first one already being there, I don't imagine they'd go there normally.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
You did a great job at showing the main Iceborne improvement to the Hammer: the clutch claw followup is fantastic to keep a monster "softened" 24/7 and besides it's just fun to be a homing spinning projectile of doom, especially when aimed at a monster's head.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Chimera-gui posted:

As a Glaive user, I've killed a few monsters with by launching the Kinsect at them to get essence

It's just entertaining when you've been smashing a beastie with 100+ damage hits non-stop, only to kill it with a measly grapple/kinsect/slinger at the very end. You really can't help but laugh after all that struggle.

radintorov posted:

You did a great job at showing the main Iceborne improvement to the Hammer: the clutch claw followup is fantastic to keep a monster "softened" 24/7 and besides it's just fun to be a homing spinning projectile of doom, especially when aimed at a monster's head.

Many thanks! And the hammer only gets better from here. Being a whirling dervish of KO hits to the skull can be both impressive and fun when you up how effective it's stunning power is. Iceborne really cracks open some crazy armor builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Just wanted to post that I haven't abandoned the LP. Just had a ton of life stuff going on back to back to back. Might end up toning back the project to just the original MHW and not the expansion but waiting to see how a few more things settle down yet.