Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

kalensc posted:

But is it truly a "bye" week when early next qeek he has to leave the comfort of home-cooked ribs to travel afar for inane interviews and on-site hoopla?

I think a three hour flight to the land of Cuban sandwiches won't be so bad for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Caught an interesting factoid on Get Up this morning while at the gym: Teams that rank in the top 2 of total defense are 15-5 in the Super Bowl (allowing 18 PPG). Those 5 QB's that beat the best defenses? Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, Joe Theismann, Jim Plunkett, and Terry Bradshaw.

Will Mahomes join the list?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Android Apocalypse posted:

Caught an interesting factoid on Get Up this morning while at the gym: Teams that rank in the top 2 of total defense are 15-5 in the Super Bowl (allowing 18 PPG). Those 5 QB's that beat the best defenses? Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, Joe Theismann, Jim Plunkett, and Terry Bradshaw.

Will Mahomes join the list?

who knows but what I do know is that Mahomes is significantly better than every player on that list

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I feel like the Chiefs are going to curb the 9ers and it'll only look respectable cause SF scores a few garbage time TDs

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I dunno who will win but the final score will be 59-56

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's true, if you combine all the best attributes of Peyton Manning, Fran Tarkenton, and QB Eagles, Pat Mahomes is better than that

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Everyone’s predicting a huge high scoring game so inevitably it’s going to be a 17-14 grind out battle

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Play posted:

who knows but what I do know is that Mahomes is significantly better than every player on that list

Eh, eventually, like very soon. I would probably still take 2011 Rodgers and 2014 Brady over him. Still in their physical peaks and able to take apart any defense. Mahomes will probably have that part of the game down soon enough. Obviously he's a better physical passer.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Better Than You posted:

boy did he regress to the mean lol

Goff's contract is getting more and more fun. $36 mil cap hit in 2020! Dont worry if htey cut him its only a *checks notes* 51 million dollar hit

e: whoops that's the wrong image

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Let's take a moment and appreciate that Mahomes is 24.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Eh, eventually, like very soon. I would probably still take 2011 Rodgers and 2014 Brady over him. Still in their physical peaks and able to take apart any defense. Mahomes will probably have that part of the game down soon enough. Obviously he's a better physical passer.

Maybe instead of better I'll say "more dangerous". Faster, better arm, etc. The only area those players exceed him in is experience and perhaps knowledge of the game. Mahomes is known to understand football quite well and to have a great brain for it, but there's still something to be said for years of experience in the league

Still, if I were a 49ers fan I'd certainly rather play the majority (if not all) of the QBs on that list

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Titans got four of their current starters from the Goff trade (including one Derrick Henry), so he's alright in my book.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Play posted:

Maybe instead of better I'll say "more dangerous". Faster, better arm, etc. The only area those players exceed him in is experience and perhaps knowledge of the game. Mahomes is known to understand football quite well and to have a great brain for it, but there's still something to be said for years of experience in the league

Still, if I were a 49ers fan I'd certainly rather play the majority (if not all) of the QBs on that list

One of the least talked about traits.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article239060883.html

quote:

But perhaps it shouldn’t come as a surprise, because people close to Mahomes have been raving about his memory for years.

“He’s very very smart. He’s got a photographic memory,” Kliff Kingsbury, Mahomes’ coach at Texas Tech, told Fox34.com last year. “The first time we’d teach stuff he’d walk it through and nail it. It’s just about the work ethic and preparation and making that a lifestyle.”

Scientists don’t necessarily believe there is such a thing as a photographic (or “eidetic” memory), but New Scientist said there are people who have what’s known as Highly Superior Autographic Memory (HSAM). These people can remember events from any day of their lives, and the dates they happened.

That sounds a lot like Mahomes, but he told The Star last year he’s never been given a “clinical distinction.”

At one point, Hunt said, Dorsey sat down Hunt and showed him plays from Texas Tech that best demonstrated Mahomes’s potential. (Through a Cleveland Browns spokesman, Dorsey, now the team’s general manager, declined to comment.) The Chiefs invited Mahomes on an official visit to Kansas City, spending six hours peppering him with questions and tests. Reid gave a brief primer of Kansas City’s offense, then asked him to diagram some plays.

“Patrick went up to the chalkboard and did the pro plays perfectly, which you’re not supposed to be able to do,” Steinberg said. “He was instantly able to adapt to the Chiefs terminology, and it showed how instantaneous his learning pattern is.”

kiimo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 21, 2020

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Didn't Sean McVay also have something like this?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

Everyone’s predicting a huge high scoring game so inevitably it’s going to be a 17-14 grind out battle

Fully expecting this.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Mega64 posted:

Yes he can remember every play

Nov 6, 2002

Nodoze posted:

Yes he can remember every play

So he can remember every play from SBLIII?

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Mega64 posted:

Yes.

I didn't know Mahomes had that too jesus he's going to be a nightmare for the foreseeable future.

The tits didn't even play badly in that game but Mahomes could have beaten any team in the league at least that day.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So he can remember every play from SBLIII?

There's the rub

Nov 6, 2002

kiimo posted:

There's the rub

Naw, that was before the Super Bowl.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

For shits and giggles I looked up the DVOA charts for all the times one of the two Super Bowl teams was ranked 10+ spots higher than the other in defense (49ers are ranked #3 this year, Chiefs #14). It's happened 19 times since 1986, the much better defense was favored in 11 of them but won 14 of them. 10-7-2 against the spread (Packers-Patriots and One Yard Short were pushes). Thanks for reading~

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

kalensc posted:

But is it truly a "bye" week when early next qeek he has to leave the comfort of home-cooked ribs to travel afar for inane interviews and on-site hoopla?

kiimo posted:

I think a three hour flight to the land of Cuban sandwiches won't be so bad for him.

I just realized I completely whiffed an opportunity to make a Ribmaps joke dammit

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just for comparison I looked up instances where one Super Bowl team was ranked 10+ spots higher on offense than the other, and it's only happened 7 times (a lot more teams have reached the Super Bowl with a weak defense than a weak offense). The much better offense was favored 6 out of the 7 (only exception: 2000 Giants) but won only 3 out of the 7, covered the spread only 1 out of 6.

The only time one team's been 10+ spots better than the other in both offense AND defense was the 1996 Packers-Patriots. The only time one team had a much better offense and a much worse defense than the other was 2006 Colts-Bears.

None of that is relevant to 49ers-Chiefs because the 49ers offense is pretty good, but what the hell

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/Caring_Atheist/status/1219671349385408519

Be free to be as gay as you want to be, A.A. Ron.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It's almost as if 👏 Defense 👏 Wins 👏 Championships

Nov 6, 2002

Now is when Wisconsin turns on him.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Now is when Wisconsin turns on him.

Unless it's the Journal Sentinel comments section, not a chance

Also he believes in God but not organized religion iirc

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.
I used to work with a neuroscientist and the memory thing is interesting. There isn't really a name for what McVay or Mahomes or someone like von Neumann outside of "exceptional memory." People diagnosed with HSAM literally cannot stop remembering to the point that for some it is hard for them to keep track of past and present.

Nov 6, 2002

Hot Diggity! posted:

Half measures.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Looks like Aaron is dumping Danica soon to follow his heart

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hot Diggity! posted:

Unless it's the Journal Sentinel comments section, not a chance

Ah, just like Jesus

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

lmao this can't be real

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Meanwhile, this is real (for the time being):
https://twitter.com/kdka/status/1219721912299020290?s=21

Antonio Brown has ascended into his rightful place as Florida Man.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Strange that AB will end up in prison before Vontaze Burfict

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/cameronwolfe/status/1219776053348048898?s=21

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Cops could instantly arrest the trainer but have to wait for a warrant for AB then call him and play nice. AMERICA!

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

MakaVillian posted:

^ Yeah that's the problem with Mahomes. This will be the 4th time this year the 49ers will face a QB who's athletic and a great/good enough passer (Wilson twice, Lamar once), hopefully they've learned some tricks.
Kyler Murray played really well both Niner games too.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

aaron rodgers so shook and rattled he no longer believes anything, roams the world disheveled and confused

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Kazak_Hstan posted:

aaron rodgers so shook and rattled he no longer believes anything, roams the world disheveled and confused

The Run is his god now. A vengeful, angry god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Well when the world goes to hell, State Farm is there.