Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

So the Breen are a fluid race that look down on Solids, wow cool haven’t heard that before

Well now we know why they allied with the Dominion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Small Strange Bird posted:

"Come to Quark's, Quark's is fun, come right now, don't walk, run!"

That's in there too, quietly brainwashing everyone in Starfleet.

That would have been a much more fun conspiracy around which to build Picard S3’s big bad, let me tell you.

All the 25-and-unders are activated and start mainlining caffeine that the Ferengi sell them at exorbitant rates.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This episode really was the worst of the season so far. A lot of it didn't make much sense. The extended backstory for Moll and Lok make me actively empathize with them less. Just a couple idiots going to destroy the galaxy, one a brat with daddy issues and one a royal failson. Both searching for a paradise that doesn't exist like the idiot from last season, willing to do any terrible thing to get it for themselves.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
But enough about Dr Soran

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Apollodorus posted:

But enough about Dr Soran

You know with some spore drive you could in theory easily get into the ribbon.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You know with some spore drive you could in theory easily get into the ribbon.

Or Sha’ka’ree, I have to assume.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Can the spore drive enter fluidic space?

Really makes you think

About how dumb both things are

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The thing I really liked about this episode was the B-plot on the Discovery where we got to see Rayner's first day as Captain. It was fun getting to follow the crew through their daily routine as they adapted to Rayner's leadership style. A worse show would have devoted a third of the episode's run time to an abysmal series of flashbacks set in a warehouse.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 26, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Typical Pubbie posted:

A worse show would have devoted a third of the episode's run time to an abysmal series of flashbacks set in a warehouse.

...is this a bit?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

The_Doctor posted:

...is this a bit?

Yes they're trolling you.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rubber Chicken posted:

Can the spore drive enter fluidic space?

Really makes you think

About how dumb both things are

There's even more uhhh interstellar mycelium or whatever the gently caress from all the moisture

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Species 8472 is the most dangerous society we've ever faced. We need to develop countermeasures against them should they invade regular space."

"They live in 'fluidic space,' correct?"

"Indeed."

"And they look like walking snails?"

"I hadn't ever thought of them that way, but sort of."

"Have we tried salt-based weapons?"

"This is the future, Lieutenant."

"Oh...right. How silly of me. Have we tried QUANTUM NEUTRONIUM NEUTRINO salt-based weapons?"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't particularly like the choice with the Breen--I always preferred the idea Weyoun was full of poo poo because he's Weyoun and the Breen were super weirdass extreme environment aliens, like the Tholians, rather than just Some Guys. Especially since nutrek has the tech and budget to show us weirder aliens and they've taken advantage of that. I'm not like hopping mad about it, just not the choice I would've made.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

This episode really was the worst of the season so far. A lot of it didn't make much sense. The extended backstory for Moll and Lok make me actively empathize with them less. Just a couple idiots going to destroy the galaxy, one a brat with daddy issues and one a royal failson. Both searching for a paradise that doesn't exist like the idiot from last season, willing to do any terrible thing to get it for themselves.

Can't say I disagree. The Breen made their blood oath vengeance, but we never see Moll and L'ak chased by the Breen. The galaxy is loving huge. You telling me that you can't just fuckoff to a random place where they won't find out? They aren't even looking!

Also it seems like the factions are too busy fighting with each other for power than to bother hunting down two people.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They call them the Breen because the more that's revealed about them, the more BoREENg they get

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The whole vibes of those scenes to me were something like

Moll: Me? I'm a different kind of smuggler. I don't always follow the rules cause THE MAN can't hold me down. I do what I want when I want. I can't be contained

Lok: Uhh, I don't know if I'm allowed to talk to girls

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I just really, really, wish that the Breen would turn out to be the remnants of the civilization Phlox doomed to die because of a known, curable disease, because he had a particularly nasty day and decided to play god instead of being a doctor with ethical values. The half-assed version of the antidote Archer finally coaxed him to give away bought them enough time to condemn the entire civilization to live in freezer suits, because their bodies got messed up when they desperately went for genetic manipulation as a last resort attempt.

So they learned the valuable lesson from Archer: never forgive, never forget, and never ask but take by force what you want or need. And when you make an oath, you live by it or die, no excuses to break it when because you felt like not bothering that day.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
I liked the idea that the suits were a ruse or privacy conceit or xenophobia or a democratizing egalitarian move and Breen wasn't a species

Or maybe it was the founding species and others wore the same suits with robo voices so they could be a meritocracy

Or something other than Green Guys

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just realized that this last episode took place in Tzenkethi space, but there was no real mention of it after the end of last week's episode. That species still hasn't appeared on screen and has only been mentioned.
I doubt they will, since that would cost money and any design has the risk of getting Larry Niven suing them for a piece of the action.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think their skin should have been a mix of brown and green

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

I doubt they will, since that would cost money and any design has the risk of getting Larry Niven suing them for a piece of the action.

I think you're confusing the Kzinti and the Tzenkethi.

The Kzinti stuff seems cleared up anyway, we've had mentions of them in a few shows and a recurring Kzin character on Lower Decks. (Including an episode where he was on the away mission to a ringworld!)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 26, 2024

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

I think you're confusing the Kzinti and the Tzenkethi.

The Kzinti stuff seems cleared up anyway, we've had mentions of them in a few shows and a recurring Kzin character on Lower Decks. (Including an episode where he was on the away mission to a ringworld!)
I do remember that darn cat. I guess they must have! I had thought the Tzenkethi were a bowdlerization of the Kzin because they didn't have the gizzard/budget to just use 'em.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

I do remember that darn cat. I guess they must have! I had thought the Tzenkethi were a bowdlerization of the Kzin because they didn't have the gizzard/budget to just use 'em.

The Tzenkethi, if STO visualization is to be believed, are four-armed - second smaller pair growing from their nipples - slug-like bipedal hulks, which wear artificial exoskeletons when outside their natural habitat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

The name was inspired by Kzin but that's about it, the DS9 writer said he imagined them as giant armoured lizards.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Der Kyhe posted:

The Tzenkethi, if STO visualization is to be believed, are four-armed - second smaller pair growing from their nipples - slug-like bipedal hulks, which wear artificial exoskeletons when outside their natural habitat.
And in the novels they're tall thin boneless grey-alien-looking dudes, and in the new comics they're straight up space dinosaurs.

For some reason every beta continuity seems obsessed with creating their own new wild interpretation of those guys.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Knormal posted:

space dinosaurs.

Aren't Voth canonically the space dinosaurs?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I thought the Vaadwaur were the space dinosaurs?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He's just Canadian.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

*HONKS IN BREEN*

Oh excuse me, something in my throat

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Der Kyhe posted:

Aren't Voth canonically the space dinosaurs?

Snorb posted:

I thought the Vaadwaur were the space dinosaurs?
The Voth are the descendants of Earth dinosaurs, the comic Tzenkethi are just lazy literal dinosaur people. Like Dinosaucers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I keep thinking about how they took two stops in two different episodes for the one bridge guy's entire characterization to be "loves the Constitution class" and then they have a Constitution class and it never comes up. It's so weird. Feels like the episode went long and that ended up on the cutting room floor, even for Disco writing that is an incredible whiff. Why bring it up twice if you weren't planning to pay it off here? But it's a streaming show and the length varies anyway so why cut it?

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't particularly like the choice with the Breen--I always preferred the idea Weyoun was full of poo poo because he's Weyoun and the Breen were super weirdass extreme environment aliens, like the Tholians, rather than just Some Guys. Especially since nutrek has the tech and budget to show us weirder aliens and they've taken advantage of that. I'm not like hopping mad about it, just not the choice I would've made.

I think I actually prefer the idea that Weyoun was being honest and that Breen were just another nose-ridge of the week alien from a pleasantly temperate world. They just happened to catch a satellite broadcast of Return of the Jedi, thought Leia's costume while rescuing Han was baller and made that their whole identity.

They very specifically wanted Earth as war spoils, presumably because it was considered a pleasantly temperate planet 30 years ago, so it all tracks.

Alternatively they later caught broadcasts of Rise of Skywalker and just had to put an end to that.

Edit: This episode was thoroughly meh and Discovery is the last show I wanted to unmask the Breen but whatever. We're here now and we have to live with it.

Gollom fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 27, 2024

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Kinda impressive how we keep finding out new bits of info on how Picard S3 could’ve somehow been even worse

https://twitter.com/trekmovie/status/1783960497420705894?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Eh, could have worked if they claimed it was the character from his first appearance. Unless that dude died, I don't remember off-hand. It would still reek of fanservice and small universe syndrome.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Imagine Quark getting violently killed on screen only for them to say on twitter it was the other guy.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Wee Bairns posted:

Eh, could have worked if they claimed it was the character from his first appearance. Unless that dude died, I don't remember off-hand. It would still reek of fanservice and small universe syndrome.

It'd be a good reference really since they did that with the Ferengi quite a bit in TNG - same actor, different character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wee Bairns posted:

I mean, yeah that would be funny as hell if it was Letek who got owned to death by Worf. Though I can see how the drooling dipshits who actually unironically liked Season 3 would instantly jump to "OMG WORF KILLED QUARK!" like the paste eaters who thought DS9 blew up the Enterprise-D and killed off the TNG crew in "The Jem'Hadar" and wrote angry letters to Paramount about it.