Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Will they all have the over-textured maroon monster uniforms that future Pike had in that one SNW episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

It’s HD they have to put poo poo all over it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

holefoods posted:

It’s HD they have to put poo poo all over it

"What do you mean 'movies were HD too'?"

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 27, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Prepare the greeble gun, maximum poo poo.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1773014745668334023?t=ICZOahOHgn-k9LiQzjwbDw&s=19

Uh huh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol they made a third one already?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Khanstant posted:

Almost 8 years ago....

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
But why though.

Is anyone asking for a fourth movie at this point?

It's been utterly replaced by the prime time line that it was seeking to replace.

When you make a movie where the Enterprise being destroyed means absolutely nothing you know you hosed up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh man, this is a modern version of the TOS shower curtain environment suit. :allears:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Last Call posted:

But why though.

Is anyone asking for a fourth movie at this point?

It's been utterly replaced by the prime time line that it was seeking to replace.

When you make a movie where the Enterprise being destroyed means absolutely nothing you know you hosed up.
I think that ship has long sailed and I'm surprised that they are still going to try and move forward with a 4th movie in that dead continuity.

As mentioned in the Variety article, they have had a bunch of failed attempts to make a sequel since 2016, and considering the cast has all mostly gotten more famous and more expensive, I don't see the point.

I'm also very confused as to what they are talking about with another movie in development that is going to be what sounds like another prequel, but even earlier?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Just make it entirely around Spock.

How hard is it to get Zackary Quinto? Oh no, is he going to have to put his next Ryan Murphy project on hold?!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah, the 09 Treks kinda died along with Anton Yelchin, rightly or wrongly. And as others have said, the fact that we have actual Star Trek back on TV* again kind of makes their continued existence moot because their whole purpose was originally "Paramount/CBS doesn't want to put Star Trek back on TV, so have have these movies instead". Then Les Moonves got cancelled and it was open season for TV Trek again after a decade of him squatting on its grave while perving on any women in grabbing distance.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
A new star trek movie but its named after and for 90% of the run time is a historical movie about the lead up to the JFK assassination then after the shot it cuts to spock holding the gun.

Boxturret fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 27, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, the 09 Treks kinda died along with Anton Yelchin, rightly or wrongly. And as others have said, the fact that we have actual Star Trek back on TV* again kind of makes their continued existence moot because their whole purpose was originally "Paramount/CBS doesn't want to put Star Trek back on TV, so have have these movies instead". Then Les Moonves got cancelled and it was open season for TV Trek again after a decade of him squatting on its grave while perving on any women in grabbing distance.
Trek's success record in film is also a lot worse than their TV success anyway. There aren't a lot of good Trek stories that can be told in one movie, or at least the people they have had in charge of the films haven't figured out a good way to do it.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
As ever, my favorite Trek episodes don’t tend to involve big action scenes, which is what studios always want for movies. Give me a Star Trek: 12 Angry Men darn it, I want dramatic monologues about principled ethics and the philosophy of humanity from someone in a funny jumpsuit, not laser explosions and dangling over an abyss holding on by one hand

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

apatheticman posted:

Just make it entirely around Spock.

How hard is it to get Zackary Quinto? Oh no, is he going to have to put his next Ryan Murphy project on hold?!

Don't take him away from narrating the Dispatcher series on Audible.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trek's success record in film is also a lot worse than their TV success anyway. There aren't a lot of good Trek stories that can be told in one movie, or at least the people they have had in charge of the films haven't figured out a good way to do it.

Next they'll try to tell Trek stories in single hour episodes!

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 27, 2024

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'd have been ok with 4 if 3 hadn't happened. I largely enjoyed the first two, mostly due to my love of Karl Urban, but doing the star trek version of the Mars attacks ending was unwelcome and I was happy to see it not continue

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Get Urban on SNW imo. The rest of them…:shrug:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't know, there was that one Trek movie that told a sweeping epic about the fall of the Klingon Empire (very much inspired by then-present-day events) and the uncomfortable international politics that result. This same movie also featured actual character progression for Captain Kirk, had an absolute banger of a starship battle, and even managed to fit in a sham trial, a detective story, a prison break, and a betrayal by a trusted protege. That all took 113 minutes. You can do a lot in a single feature-length movie.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Star Trek movies have seldom done great overseas so it’s largely been reliant on the NA market to keep it going. Not to say they do bad overseas, they simply failed to really be big hits. You know studios, they want all the money, not some.

It’s why they changed things up with the new time line, start over and make things fresh! They could mine everything that came before only now SUPER CHARGE it. Warp speed? That’s hours! We got trans warp speed now! Be to Vulcan in seconds. What to go to the Klingon home world? Pfft, be there in a flash. Transporters have range limits? Screw that, we can beam you across the universe! We can even port you onto a ship moving at transwarp! Huzzah! Slow elevators? Not on the enterprise. Get from one end of the ship to the other in a mere pause. Deaths a bitch, only hey we got blood to bring back the dead! Ships require hundreds or thousands? Nah, dawg, this one ship can do everything with a single person or two.

Now focus on what matters pew pew pew boom SPLOSIONS OMFG pew pew pew ACTION.

Someone needs to tell these people restraint and breathing can be a good thing in films and result in better film experiences.

Hear that JJ? You hack.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Khanstant posted:

Not only that, some think it was the best of the three.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

DaveKap posted:

It was okay at best.

It got treated as such.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This forum’s ability to poo poo on anything never surprises me

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

DaveKap posted:

It had Star Trek in my Star Trek so... yes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Last Call posted:

It was okay at best.

It got treated as such.

That what OP said, the best of the three.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

I don't know, there was that one Trek movie that told a sweeping epic about the fall of the Klingon Empire (very much inspired by then-present-day events) and the uncomfortable international politics that result. This same movie also featured actual character progression for Captain Kirk, had an absolute banger of a starship battle, and even managed to fit in a sham trial, a detective story, a prison break, and a betrayal by a trusted protege. That all took 113 minutes. You can do a lot in a single feature-length movie.

The thing is, the TOS films are all attempts to tell an interesting story in their own way. Hell you even have to give V the fact that it's trying to tell a unique personal story in a Star Trek Way. Generations is like ST1 in that it's a feature length TNG episode. Only with First Contact do you actually get the dive into 'there's a villain who wants revenge and has a big ship'.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This forum’s ability to poo poo on anything never surprises me

I went to a work function the other week and one of the many perks of actually getting to talk to real people from outside my team and department was chatting with them about stuff and the topic of Star Trek came up and everyone just lit right up. And like Modern Star Trek too, not just the classic stuff. It was a fun reminder that Normal People actually like this poo poo and enjoy watching and talking about it and was a welcome breath of fresh air after months and years of dealing with all the miserable shitlords on the internet.

That lightbulb moment of "Oh yeah... goons are loving morons!" is priceless.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
“Normal” people like lots of bad things. Just because a lot of people will talk about Real Housewives shows fondly doesn’t make them good television.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
The reason JJTrek stopped when it did was there was no space for it to exist in a world where there was also new Star Wars movies and Guardians of the Galaxy was a thing.

Now GoTG is largely wrapped up and gently caress knows what's happening with Star Wars, a new JJTrek might make a bit more sense on a spreadsheet. I mean, Dune seemed to do ok, and on paper that's far more niche than Trek.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Super Deuce posted:

“Normal” people like lots of bad things. Just because a lot of people will talk about Real Housewives shows fondly doesn’t make them good television.

Who gives a gently caress? Besides you

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A lot of it came down to budget. The studio has wanted a film that can do Star Wars numbers and that’s never going to happen.

In the article they talk about trying to make smaller budget movies and I think that’s a good idea. I have no idea how you do that with JJTrek’s expensive cast though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

A lot of it came down to budget. The studio has wanted a film that can do Star Wars numbers and that’s never going to happen.

In the article they talk about trying to make smaller budget movies and I think that’s a good idea. I have no idea how you do that with JJTrek’s expensive cast though.

You go to 2020 Los Angeles.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's maybe my joint second favourite of the movies.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Entire movie of Scotty and Keenser.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
You know, I am honestly kinda curious about that Starfleet Academy show. I mean, sure, it could suck, but done right it could be fun.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Now GoTG is largely wrapped up and gently caress knows what's happening with Star Wars, a new JJTrek might make a bit more sense on a spreadsheet. I mean, Dune seemed to do ok, and on paper that's far more niche than Trek.

God, a Denis Villeneuve Trek movie would certainly be something. You'd be able to hear every molecule rematerialising in the transporter.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

nine-gear crow posted:

That lightbulb moment of "Oh yeah... goons are loving morons!" is priceless.

Yeah, it definitely gets a little echo-chambery here sometimes.

Super Deuce posted:

This is a franchise where people steal other people’s brains, encounter giant clones of themselves, gently caress candle-bound space ghosts, get trapped in board games, evolve into lizards when they go too fast, and have wet dreams about their subordinates because their dog is sick after pissing on a tree. Where they name-drop noted a billionaire edgelord, are possessed into eating car batteries, fight a sentient logo, and overcome slavery with the power of friendship.

And there’s an alternate reality based around show tunes that leaks into ours if you play music at a space cloud and makes Klingons do k-pop for some reason, and it’s somehow one of the most celebrated episodes ever.

Star Trek can be good television, it can be great television, but it certainly doesn’t warrant being snooty about.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

MikeJF posted:

From the sounds of it it'll be a few decades before the Enterprise-C era, given that Garrett is young. I'm guessing around the 2310s.

Kacey Rohl is only 32 but also one of those actors who looks perpetually a decade younger at least, so I guess there's a ton of wiggle room

That said the 2310s also opens up the possibility of a Tomed story if that's a thing they wanna do

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blue Moonlight posted:

Star Trek can be good television, it can be great television, but it certainly doesn’t warrant being snooty about.

An unsmall number of folks in this thread seem like the kind of people who, if they were out at a dinner party and someone else said "I like Star Trek: Discovery, I think it's really good", would flip over the table and scream at them about how terrible their tastes in media and what a complete imbecile are for an hour instead of just nodding and going "Oh that's cool."

Which is a fantasy scenario that exists only in my mind because none of them would ever get invited out anywhere to begin with :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

An unsmall number of folks in this thread seem like the kind of people who, if they were out at a dinner party and someone else said "I like Star Trek: Discovery, I think it's really good", would flip over the table and scream at them about how terrible their tastes in media and what a complete imbecile are for an hour instead of just nodding and going "Oh that's cool."
Can I like, just smack the table