Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I assume that all goes to charter something otherwise that’s insanely tone deaf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Did he have any tie whatsoever to the Habs, or are they just trying to make money off Kobe's death?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Based on the tweet I thought they weren't actually selling Kobe/Gigi jerseys, they just hung a couple in the shop as a tribute

Still weird as hell to do that though, they're a loving ice hockey team in loving Quebec

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Henchman of Santa posted:

Trying to imagine the mind of someone who owns a Gigi Bryant Canadiens jersey.

Doubly so since the number is retired for Doug Harvey

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Holy poo poo Ari

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

In honor of Kobe Bryant I feel that we should retire basketball forever. To do anything less would be dishonoring the life of Kobe.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fargin Icehole posted:

Holy poo poo Ari

He was hacked

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

Holy poo poo Ari

He’s getting a smidge of backlash

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fargin Icehole posted:

Holy poo poo Ari

What happened?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

iospace posted:

What happened?

His tweets are protected now so I can't link it but he tweeted

quote:

Kobe Bryant died 23 years too late today. He got away with rape because all the Hollywood liberals who attack comedy enjoy rooting for the Lakers more than they dislike rape. Big ups to the hero who forgot to gas up his chopper. I hate the Lakers. What a great day! #Fuckthelakers

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What the ever loving poo poo.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
He said he was hacked but he posted a video saying it's good he died.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

He was hacked

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7zNlrOHpnx/?utm_source=ig_embed

Crazy that someone hacked his brain

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Traxis posted:

His tweets are protected now so I can't link it but he tweeted

After that was posted, and he got a shitload of backlash, he claimed his account was hacked.

e:fb a few times

generic one fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 29, 2020

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Well that's one way to mourn a bunch of people including children dying in a horrific accident

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

one time ari shaffir poo poo into a box and gave it to another comedian as a funny prank birthday gift, at a party full of guests, etc

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Doltos posted:

Well that's one way to mourn a bunch of people including children dying in a horrific accident

There were definitely rapists at Hiroshima, Dresden, etc so actually they were good imo

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Who the gently caress is Ari Sharif?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

davecrazy posted:

From what I understand, and edge lord "comedian".

You know, the type that whines about PC culture ruining his jokes? That's the impression I got from his other stuff when it was described to me.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

davecrazy posted:

Shaffir. Edge-lord comedian who did a series of “humorous” videos under the nom-de-plume “The Amazing Racist”. You can probably guess how those turned out.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
claiming you were hacked is what should really get people banned from society imo. such a lame rear end way to try to avoid taking responsibility

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

chunkles posted:

claiming you were hacked is what should really get people banned from society imo. such a lame rear end way to try to avoid taking responsibility

sent to the cowardice gulag

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

generic one posted:

Shaffir. Edge-lord comedian who did a series of “humorous” videos under the nom-de-plume “The Amazing Racist”. You can probably guess how those turned out.

Oh, that guy, the one who tried to get "his" KKK hood dry-cleaned in a black neighborhood or sold pork outside a mosque? Then tried to make punchlines off the very obviously pissed off people who wanted to punch him and weren't taking the bait?

Yeah, gently caress that guy.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Justin Godscock posted:

Oh, that guy, the one who tried to get "his" KKK hood dry-cleaned in a black neighborhood or sold pork outside a mosque? Then tried to make punchlines off the very obviously pissed off people who wanted to punch him and weren't taking the bait?

Yeah, gently caress that guy.

Yeah him.

Hasidic Jew who noped out after 25ish years and has since been seeing what he can do to burn down any and all systems of order as he sees them and will do anything under the sun if it makes him giggle even the slightest bit.

But he really, really hated Kobe and the Lakers. Like this is honestly probably a mild take compared to poo poo he said while he was still alive.

Also (in)famous for dosing a friend with molly and throwing a cup of piss on another friend and quite a few crowd members.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1222322840864608256?s=19

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Dude is a grub.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
When the Lakers drafted traded for Kobe, I was 6 years old. For the vast majority of my life, Kobe was the face of the Lakers. Even when Shaq was there, I liked Kobe more. Chick Hearn would frequently shittalk Shaq for showing up to training camp out of shape and healing up on company time.

I've watched literally more than 1000 games played by Kobe. I've watched him make amazing game winning plays and watched him shoot the team out of games. The stereotypical Kobe game was to shoot like poo poo for 3 and then catch fire in the fourth to win the game. With absolutely zero statistical backing, I feel like he shot much, much better in the 4th quarter than the rest of the game. He had a game straight out of the ugly 90s, everyone else would clear out and Kobe would isolate. Mid-range, fade-away jumpers. High-post, turnaround jumpers. Dunking on motherfuckers. Missing a shitload of threes. Scoring 81 points. Not loving shooting against the Suns (:argh:). The entire 2004 season. Fueling the comeback against the Blazers in 2000 (I've never heard my dad use as much profanity as during the first 3 quarters of that game). The Kobe experience.

I was lucky enough to see a lot of Lakers games in person and almost all of those were with my dad. Because as much as these are memories about watching Kobe, they're also stories about spending time with my family. Sports, and the Lakers specifically, were things that my dad and I really bonded over and Kobe was at the center of that for 20 years. But I want to call out my 2 favorite Kobe games of all time. I'm not sure if either of these would be on most people's lists, but these are special to me.

Lakers vs Blazers, March 16, 2007
https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200703160LAL.html
This was the highest scoring Kobe game I ever saw in person. Coming into this game, the Lakers had lost 7 straight games and looked like they were in danger of missing the playoffs with the teams behind them starting to make a run. This was a very bad team, the second leading scorer was Lamar Odom at 16ppg followed by Luke Walton at 11 (this was the year with that weird synthetic ball and it magically turned Luke Walton into Ray Allen. They switched back to the normal ball in Janurary and Luke fell back to earth. He also missed this game). The Blazers had emerging stars Brandon Roy and Lamarcus Aldridge, as well as a pre-grindhouse Zach Randolph.

It was a back and forth game the whole way and Kobe was doing his normal thing, carrying the Lakers. At halftime, Kobe had 23 of the Lakers 46 points after catching fire in the 2nd quarter and putting 19 points. In the 3rd quarter, the other Lakers started to contribute a bit more, outscoring Kobe 13 to 9. Through all of this, the game was close and was tied after 3 quarters and was still tied at 70 when Kobe checked back into the game with 10 minutes left in the fourth. As soon as he checked in, he started raining in the baskets. He would score 24 of the Lakers 30 points that quarter, shooting 9/11 and 4/4 on 3s. He hit 3 3s in the last 100 seconds to bring the Lakers back from down 7 to send the game to OT. He had scored 56 points in regulation on 57% shooting. In overtime, his domination continued, and he put up another 9 points to secure the victory, including an incredibly clutch 3 to give the Lakers the lead for good.

I want to call out my two major memories of this game. The first one (at 2:20) was him stealing the ball and draining a 65 footer that got waived off becuase he was fouled and refs considered it excessive to give continuation on the shot (though it totally was :colbert:). The other (at 7:35) was deep in overtime, and he hits this spinning fade away 3 with Lamarcus hand in his face to take the lead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NH_0a0x6so

This game was the first of Kobe's streak of 4 consecutive 50+ point games, starting with scoring 65 against the Blazers, followed by 50 against the Wolves, 60 against Memphis, and then another 50 against the wandering Hornets.

Lakers vs Suns, April 30, 2006, Game 4 of their first round series
https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200604300LAL.html
I don't think I can overstate the importance of this playoff series and this game in my time watching sports. This was the year that I truly became the basketball addicted person that haunts the halls of SAS, as well as many shittier message boards prior to this one. This was the year that Kobe took a band of misfits and astonishingly lovely players and dragged those assholes to the playoffs, and nearly won a series against the 2 time MVP Steve Nash and the bewildering juggernaut that was the Suns in that era.

The Suns were filled to the brim with talent. They shouldn't have been, but they somehow were. After their run in 2005 which completely revolutionized the modern NBA by introducing concepts like running a loving fastbreak, shooting 3s, and running a high P&R, Sarver proceeded to do his thing and let 2 starters (Joe Johnson and Q-Rich) leave in free-agency rather than actually spend a loving dime to keep the team good. But it was OK, because they still had all world talent Amar'e Stoudemire to serve as the second focal point of the team. Right until his knees started to hurt and they did the medival torture that we call micro-fracture surgery, an operation that has completely fallen out of favor due to keeping players out for over a year and not actually fixing poo poo. But they did have this weird, fat french dude (Boris Diaw) who had previously been making GBS threads it up in Atlanta. Oh, and some defensive dude who had bounced around the league for a while (Raja Bell). Oh, and Shawn Marion was also there and he was cool. They proceeded to win 54 games by not trying to score against a set defense every possession.

This Lakers team, on the other hand, was loving awful, the 2nd leading scorer was LO at 15ppg, followed up by Smush Parker and the corpse of Chris Mihm (who by this point had already suffered the ankle injury that ended his career and was described by the surgeon as something out of a car crash). It also featured former #1 overall pick Kwame Brown, first as the starting PF (which should tell you anything you need to know about how loving awful it was to watch basketball in the mid 2000s and how the concept of a stretch 4 was heresy and a stretch 5 was an unholy abomination sent from depths of the USSR). Kobe had the highest scoring season in 20 years, highlighted with 81 against the Raptors and 62 in 3 quarters against the finals bound Mavs.

This was a weird game. For one thing, Kobe wasn't actually the Lakers leading scorer that night, Odom was. They would combine for 49 of the Lakers 99 points that night. But I think this undersells how weird this series was because the Lakers, the 7 seed that barely made the playoffs, were up 2 games to 1 coming into this game. They had managed to steal game 2 in Phoenix and then held on to win game 3 at home. They were playing this weird gimmick defense that was trying to make Nash beat them by scoring, rather than letting him set-up his teammates in order to wreck their rhythms.

But back to game 4, like I said, it was a weird game. In the first half, Kobe got into foul trouble quickly. He only played 9 minutes in the entire half, and only 45 seconds of the 2nd quarter before he picked up his 3rd foul and had to sit. Somehow though, the game was tied behind solid play from Lamar and Brian Cook actually hitting some shots for once in his life. Not having a good game were Smush Parker
and Kwame Brown, combining to go 2/11.

I'm just gonna skip ahead to why I actually care about this game so much. Well the game was close for pretty much the entire 4th quarter when the Lakers managed to blow it at the end. With 12 seconds left, the Lakers are down by 4 and send Boris Diaw to the FT line to ice the game. My dad, seeing the inevitable, wants to leave to beat the traffic (typical Lakers fan, still traumatized by the old parking lots at the Forum). In some more significantly more polite words, I tell him to gently caress off and I'm gonna watch the game until the clock hits zero. So he goes off to the bathroom and tells me which exit I should meet him at once the game is over.

Boris Diaw makes 1 of 2 FTs and the Lakers advance the ball. Lakers inbound the ball and the play breaks down, and because he somehow his cold shooting rear end decided it was a good idea, Smush Parker hits a contested 3 with 8 seconds left, making it a 2 point game. My dad sheepishly returns to his seat. Suns call a TO to advance the ball to halfcourt. Lakers defend the inbound play well and send the Suns scrambling, Nash comes to the inbounder but loses his balance and Smush manages to steal the ball, passes it ahead to Devean Geroge who proceeds to make the only high IQ play of his career and passes it to Kobe. Who proceeds to make a well defended, rainbow layup over 2 defenders as he falls out of bounds and sends the game to OT. I mercilessly taunt my dad for giving up on the game with time left on the clock.

In overtime, the game stays close and with 15 seconds left, the Lakers get the ball back down 3 after Steve Nash 3. Kobe proceeds to drive and spin past Raja Bell for a tough layup, bringing the game within 1. The ball gets inbounded to Nash and after a scramble to steal the ball or foul him, he again gets trapped by the half-court line and ends up getting in a jump ball with Luke Walton. 6.1 on the clock, Nash is indignant that he totally called a TO that no one ever saw. Well, Luke wins the tip and Kobe tracks down the ball. He comes down the court with time running out, and runs into the teeth of the defense. He shoots a FT line jumper over 2 defenders that goes in as time expires. Ball game

We all lose our poo poo, we just saw Kobe hit 2 buzzerbeaters in 10 minutes, we're up 3-1 over the loving 2 seed and everyone in 2006 could tell you that no team would ever blow a 3-1 lead. The Lakers are going to 2nd round for our first ever playoff matchup against the Clippers who we had dominated during the regular season. It'll be any easy series and then it'll probably be the Mavs or the Jazz, both of whom Kobe had done great against. Holy poo poo, the Lakers might be going back to the finals.

The Lakers blew a 3-1 lead

The important poo poo starts at 7 minutes in, just watch the whole thing from that point on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egtk-29hqwU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If we're at the hot take stage, Kobe was nothing but an overrated chucker who got his rings by piggybacking off much better big men

:colbert:

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If we're at the hot take stage, Kobe was nothing but an overrated chucker who got his rings by piggybacking off much better big men

I watched him play a lot and I would imagine right now in heaven Kobe is driving for the hoop. Oh no he drew the triple team! Jesus and Beethoven are open - they wave for the ball! Kobe fights the triple team and goes up for a heavily contested fadeaway jumper! It's an airball, the shot clock runs out. Kobe shoots a nasty look to the coach, Galileo. He cant play with these losers. On the way down the court, he injures himself.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

the ghost of kobe appears before you...

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Kobe is probably my least favorite NBA player of all time but i'm still sad he died.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Shaq man :unsmith:
https://twitter.com/yahoosportsnba/status/1222376185809686531?s=21
https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/1222402284211953665?s=21
some more poignant words from Dray
https://twitter.com/anthonyvslater/status/1222365917197279232?s=21

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Starks posted:

I feel like you guys are crazy and I’m pretty sure
Kobe was widely considered the best player in the league before lebron came into his own. The only person I met who thought Tim Duncan was better was my dad but he also thinks the 02/03 Kings are the best nba team of all time.

Is your dad me irl

(I still rewatch 03 Kings highlight reels sometimes)

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Idahoant posted:

I watched him play a lot and I would imagine right now in heaven Kobe is driving for the hoop. Oh no he drew the triple team! Jesus and Beethoven are open - they wave for the ball! Kobe fights the triple team and goes up for a heavily contested fadeaway jumper! It's an airball, the shot clock runs out. Kobe shoots a nasty look to the coach, Galileo. He cant play with these losers. On the way down the court, he injures himself.

Kobe is in hell for raping a woman

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Kobe is in hell for raping a woman

Hell doesn't exist my man

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Stobiespizza/status/1221820457575469057

https://twitter.com/Stobiespizza/status/1222185906829918209

https://twitter.com/Stobiespizza/status/1221916495212699649

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Yes, this is a cynical marketing ploy, but please understand, we've been doing this same cynical marketing ploy for a long time!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
All bodies have been recovered from the crash site, per ABC News.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

All bodies have been recovered from the crash site, per ABC News.

Man, jobs like that impress me with the fortitude they must take, even on the best of circumstances, but I can't begin to imagine how knowing what one of the skeletons used to look like, or a few of them being 13 year old girls, does to a person's sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hell doesn't exist my man

It does and we're currently in it.