Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i assume everyone who visits this thread has seen LeBron's speech about Kobe before tonight's game (if you haven't, you really should) but i would just like to make everyone smile a little bit more in these sad times

so I would like you to close your eyes and picture Michael Jordan at the prime of his career, who occupied a very similar place to LeBron during his time in the league, giving a heartfelt eulogy to a fellow NBA player who was never his teammate. Imagine Michael Jordan at center court, lights down and spotlight on him, saying nice things about the terrible tragedy that befell Larry Bird, or Isiah Thomas, or Magic Johnson in a sincere manner.

Have you done it? of course you haven't after 30 seconds it would turn into a speech about how much better Michael Jordan is than that person.

In short, god bless LeBron james and god rest the 9 souls on that helicopter, and god drat michael jordan the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
LeBron really is the greatest.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

AsInHowe posted:

LeBron really is the greatest.

More evidence that he killed Kobe to cement his legacy :tinfoil:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I bet Kobe would or preferred that they won the game.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

lol at the very dedicated idiots getting kobe tattoos

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

i assume everyone who visits this thread has seen LeBron's speech about Kobe before tonight's game (if you haven't, you really should) but i would just like to make everyone smile a little bit more in these sad times

so I would like you to close your eyes and picture Michael Jordan at the prime of his career, who occupied a very similar place to LeBron during his time in the league, giving a heartfelt eulogy to a fellow NBA player who was never his teammate. Imagine Michael Jordan at center court, lights down and spotlight on him, saying nice things about the terrible tragedy that befell Larry Bird, or Isiah Thomas, or Magic Johnson in a sincere manner.

Have you done it? of course you haven't after 30 seconds it would turn into a speech about how much better Michael Jordan is than that person.

In short, god bless LeBron james and god rest the 9 souls on that helicopter, and god drat michael jordan the end

Imagine Michael Jordan saying something unqualifyingly nice about anyone ever

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Jason Sextro posted:

LeBron James shows that you can have the drive to be the greatest player ever and at the same time not be a complete rear end in a top hat.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

habeasdorkus posted:

LeBron James shows that you can have the drive to be the greatest player ever and at the same time not be a complete rear end in a top hat.

Openly supporting the Chinese government makes you just that.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Island Nation posted:

Openly supporting the Chinese government makes you just that.

settle down beavis

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Bip Roberts posted:

settle down beavis

Beavis is right.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A professional sports player would never support a lovely nation state

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

poo poo, this might be the Chinese government's doing. who made the helicopter?

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Helicopters are capable of hovering at 0 mph, so going 175 mph through extremely dense fog seems like such an unnecessary risk.
Interesting tidbit I learned from watching a video on the Kobe crash, helicopters are only capable of hovering in place when the pilot has a reference point to the ground due how much readjustment it requires. In dense fog moving forward and hoping you can climb to a safe altitude in time is your only real option.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Jason Sextro posted:

In some alternate universe Space Jam was written to depict MJ as the catty, petty rear end in a top hat he is and he won the oscar for best performance.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Imagine Uncut Gems but instead of the climactic scene with Sandler explaining to Garnett how he channels his inner intensity, it's just a continuation of the preceding scene of him crying in his office with Michael Jordan yelling abuse at him.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1225529140755017729?s=19

He had to have been cremated because otherwise bed be pretty ripe by then.

Or are caskets/urns generally not at public memorials?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1225529140755017729?s=19

He had to have been cremated because otherwise bed be pretty ripe by then.

Pretty sure he got cremated in Calabasas

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pretty sure he got cremated in Calabasas

:rimshot:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Joking aside it's not like they're gonna do an open casket and I'm sure they've been embalmed by now if whatever remains there were could be.

As someone with a Jewish background it's wild to me how long this takes. We don't embalm so you have to just get them in the ground. Hope grandma died close to the weekend so you can make the funeral!

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

[Or are caskets/urns generally not at public memorials?

Outside of political bigwigs "lying in state" typically not

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Sports media, especially in LA, jumping on board with it immediately and just agreeing to never mention that he did the kill bill speech word for word was so loving funny

It goes along with Rob Pelinka making up that fake Heath Ledger meeting Kobe story from a few years back.

DeimosRising posted:

Was there a single prominent white star in the late 90s to early 2000s?

There was a single one. His name: John Stockton.

cardedagain posted:

poo poo, this might be the Chinese government's doing. who made the helicopter?

Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation. Before it was owned by the State of Illinois so I will blame Jim Boylen by proxy.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

For all the hate Kobe gets for not passing he did do it a decent amount. 7,300+ assists over his NBA career puts him in select company.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Bill Russell you bastards.

Best defensive career in NBA/ABA history. Bad offensive player though.

Ghost Dog posted:

...casual fans will think thats insane cause they don't really have a grasp on what makes a player good outside of rings and sportscenter clips

Asking a casual fan how many rings Kobe would have had he played entirely in Indiana with Rik Smits as his best sidekick. That's a good starting point.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I feel like the sheer insanity of Wilt’s stats hurts him a bit in these discussions. It’s like averaging 50 pts/25 rebounds in a season is more of an indictment of the competition that it happened against than a sign of Wilt’s greatness.

Even taking that into consideration he still comes out as being super elite. If the competition was that awful there would've been other guys doing AMAZING things but there just aren't.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Sometimes but they crashed from thousands of feet into a hill at nearly 200 MPH. 200 MPH is very fast.

There will not be ANY open caskets.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The more I think about it, the more I realize how Kobe's celebrity status was the reason for the deaths of everyone on board, even if you ignore the fact that a private helicopter crash is pretty much exclusively a cause of death for the extremely wealthy. The fog was so dense that the LAPD grounded all of their helicopters, but Kobe's helicopter obtained special clearance to fly. I have no idea how common making an exception like this actually is, but I lived in LA for 5 years and know first-hand how much people worship celebrities there, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if the fact that it was Kobe's helicopter played a role in allowing the special clearance. I'm also assuming that the pilot was under extreme pressure from Kobe to get to their destination in the same amount of time as it typically took in ideal weather conditions. Helicopters are capable of hovering at 0 mph, so going 175 mph through extremely dense fog seems like such an unnecessary risk. 9 people are dead because they wanted to save like an hour of time. I realize this happens every day with people speeding in cars and getting into accidents on the road, but it doesn't make this feel any less senseless. :smith:

AKA https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/get-there-itis

kaesarsosei posted:

I asked this in the GBS thread but then realised the quality of discourse in that part of the forums might not provide the answer I am looking for:

As a non-basketball fan - amidst all the hyperbole, where does Kobe really sit amongst the all-time greats? My lay-man's take is something like:

Chamberlain
Jordan
Kareem
James
Bryant

But I don't even know the different positions or eg, why guys like Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Shaq are so famous but never seem to considered all-time greats.

Career playoff and regular season WS through today:

code:
Player			WS
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	308.97
LeBron James 		284.98
Wilt Chamberlain	278.72
Karl Malone		257.62
Michael Jordan		253.78
Tim Duncan		244.22
Dirk Nowitzki 		229.47
John Stockton		229.05
Shaquille O'Neal	212.79
Julius Erving		208.00
Kevin Garnett		207.84
Oscar Robertson		202.86
Artis Gilmore		202.84
Kobe Bryant		201.00
Kobe within the top fifteen.

Larry Bird and Magic Johnson both had shorter careers.

Shaq gets underrated and docked at times because despite having very elite stats many knew he was unhealthy and obese and could've been even better.

Kareem is the GOAT. No doubt about it looking at WS and a few other statistics.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 7, 2020

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

That's unfathomable to me. What goes through someone's mind at a time like that? Sheer terror? An odd sense of peace?

Based upon the videos I've seen taken from helicopter crashes. Sheer terror and screaming and praying while the helicopter is making all kinds of emergency noises. Then abrupt silence.

They were in extremely dense fog/clouds and couldn't see anything.

General Dog posted:

I think there are some pretty strong arguments against Wilt being top 3.

He seems pretty safely entrenched at the #3 spot. No one will probably ever replicate his 1967 season unless they create a 4P line. Possibly then.

Starks posted:

I feel like you guys are crazy and I’m pretty sure
Kobe was widely considered the best player in the league before lebron came into his own. The only person I met who thought Tim Duncan was better was my dad but he also thinks the 02/03 Kings are the best nba team of all time.

That was the popular narrative at the time. But it doesn't hold up to scrutiny 15-20 years later.

Championships, playing alongside Shaq and playing in LA help immensely.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 8, 2020

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Island Nation posted:

As a aside, isn’t it odd it happened what would be time for worship or with him being Catholic does he go at a alternate time for Mass?

He was going to one of those 7AM ones.

Spacebump posted:

I wish sites would verify those claims. After a public figure claims that, the social media site could then determine if an unfamiliar ip address accessed the account.

It just can't be done without some doubt. It isn't that hard to spoof an IP or reroute it in such away to make it untraceable as if the person using his/her own device did it (for a legit hacker).

I can't imagine how someone does a job like that without drinking themselves into a stupor every single night.

Some can get used to anything.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Kobe and Gianna were buried on Friday.

https://twitter.com/midmichigannow/status/1227712274430922752?s=20

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 12, 2020

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Zogo posted:

Based upon the videos I've seen taken from helicopter crashes. Sheer terror and screaming and praying while the helicopter is making all kinds of emergency noises. Then abrupt silence.
Obv all theorycrafting but the helicopter was probably operating fine the whole time, they just went into an unexpected fog bank, pilot tried to turn out of it and ran into a hillside. If you weren’t a pilot you might not even know anything was wrong other than perhaps a more extreme turn than normal

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

wyoak posted:

Obv all theorycrafting but the helicopter was probably operating fine the whole time, they just went into an unexpected fog bank, pilot tried to turn out of it and ran into a hillside. If you weren’t a pilot you might not even know anything was wrong other than perhaps a more extreme turn than normal

The initial NTSB report has been released so we know some things now: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/us/kobe-bryant-ntsb-report.html

According to that the helicopter showed no signs of engine failure. The pilot climbed very high to escape the fog. But then probably had spatial disorientation and lost control rapidly descending at 4,000 feet per minute. To descend that quickly the helicopter was inverted to some degree (and not under control). The amount of inversion would determine how much of a nightmarish roller coaster ride everyone experienced (lasting ~15 seconds).

Also, flying VFR (visual flight rules) into that level of fog unexpectedly is not a pleasant experience and the passengers would've noticed it as well. The report also shows that if the pilot had been able to climb ~100 feet higher he would've been out of the fog and would've regained some spatial awareness.

We'll definitely know more within 12-18 months.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's pretty stupid helicopters don't all have terrain warning systems.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's pretty stupid helicopters don't all have terrain warning systems.

Dunno if that would have helped in this case, due to the manner in which the crash occurred.

As a layperson I'm wondering if there's some type of gyroscope in the instrument panel to help pilots stay level in limited visibility situations, to avoid exactly the type of inversion that appears to have happened here? Or is this a situation where pilot error in part stems from not paying attention to such a device?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

habeasdorkus posted:

Dunno if that would have helped in this case, due to the manner in which the crash occurred.

As a layperson I'm wondering if there's some type of gyroscope in the instrument panel to help pilots stay level in limited visibility situations, to avoid exactly the type of inversion that appears to have happened here? Or is this a situation where pilot error in part stems from not paying attention to such a device?

I can't imagine a situation where helicopter inversion is even wanted, so why not have a system that tries to auto-pilot/correct it before it goes too far? Especially in VFR mode.

But obviously I'm not a pilot or helicopter enthusiast so I'm certain: it's been thought about/already exists but wasn't used/isn't practical for a number of a reasons.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
You can read report directly from the NTSB's site here

You can see the apartment complex where I used to live in the upper left of this picture. :stare:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, TAWS (terrain awareness and warning system) wouldn't have helped in this instance. It'd just have been another alarm going off.

The issue is that it's not always easy to fly a helicopter into IMC (instrument meteorological conditions) and shift from VFR/SVFR into IFR (instrument flight rules). Maintaining proper flight on a helicopter without visual clues can be extremely difficult in certain weather. The pilot here was highly certified and trained to do these things but passing certifications is one thing compared to the real-world scenario. It's one of those cases where skills can quickly stagnate too because no pilot is going to seek out these kinds of conditions. Pilots can pass certifications for IMC while in VFR conditions which isn't the "real thing" so to speak. The standards/training are just not rigorous enough and this case is super high profile so we can expect some changes to be made in the coming years.

Also, a second pilot being in there could've helped a lot as they could've taken on some of the tasks of monitoring the flight instruments that can overwhelm a single pilot especially when panic sets in.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Argh this is public and I still can’t figure out where stern was buried

Does anyone know where David Stern was buried?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DeimosRising posted:

Argh this is public and I still can’t figure out where stern was buried

Does anyone know where David Stern was buried?

If I were to guess, probably Scarsdale, NY. That's where obituaries mentioned he lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kobe news dump:

Vanessa Bryant grieves husband Kobe and daughter Gigi: 'I can't process both at the same time'
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/vanessa-bryant-grieves-husband-kobe-daughter-gigi-i-cant-process-both-at-the-same-time-215432066.html

Kobe Bryant dead: Lakers great wanted to die young and be immortalised – Hall of Famer McGrady
https://sports.yahoo.com/kobe-bryant-dead-lakers-great-014041384.html

Camas High School principal resigns after backlash from Kobe Bryant post on Facebook
https://www.kptv.com/news/camas-hig...a2f8c8f970.html

https://twitter.com/LeeZeidman/status/1224379430958616583