Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
What is Marvel: Crisis Protocol?
It's a new Tabletop Game by Atomic Mass Games, a new game studio founded by some Ex-Privateer Press staffers. They managed to snatch the Marvel Comics License for their first game - not bad!

How does it play?
It's a skirmish game with alternating activations, played with about 4-6 miniatures per side on a 3x3 table. You get to play Marvel Characters. You also get to throw trucks at people with the Hulk!

The rules are pretty streamlined. Measurements are done with movement and range tools. Terrain plays a big role, as it can be a hindrance on the battlefield, give characters with wallcrawler and fly something to shine, and can be thrown or interacted with depending on the size of the terrain.

Characters come with cards that have all their rules. They are double-sided, featuring a healthy and injured side. Some characters change or even gain stats and abilities when injured, like Captain America's "I can do this all day".

Cool stuff characters can do cost energy. Energy is generated at the start of the round, with abilities or simply by getting wounded. It's a nice system that makes characters that have already suffered damage able to use their heavy hitter abilities, giving you a reward for getting pummeled.

The game is Scenario based, there are two kinds of scenario and you play one of each each game. Some characters come with new missions, like Gamma Bunkers for the Hulk. Missions also dictate your Threat Level, aka the point value at which you play - a clever system.

Teambuilding
When you build a team, you are free to mix whichever characters you want. I don't know if there's a comic precedence for the Hulk teaming up with Red Skull and Venom, but there probably is, so go nuts!

That said, characters can have an affiliation - for example, Iron Man and Captain America are Avengers. If more than half the characters in your team have a certain affiliation, your team counts as that affiliation and you can use specific cards like Avengers Assemble. Each affiliation also has a leader, giving out sweet bonuses - when you play as an Avengers team and include Captain America, each character's first superpower costs 1 energy less, for example. There are also cards specific to certain characters, and even character combinations - Iron-Man and Cap can unleash a powerful attack that bounces off Cap's shield, for example.

Core Box
The core box includes 5 popular Avengers, and a couple villains ranging from Ultron (sweet!) to Baron Zemo (who dat?). It also comes with all the tokens and measurement tools you need, as well as 10 terrain pieces. A pretty sweet deal for the price.

Add ons
Addons come with the miniatures, appropiate cards and tokens, and sometimes more, like Missions and Team Affiliation cards. As of right now, there are already new affiliations available like Wakanda and Asgardians, and unaffiliated characters like Venom and Winter Soldier. The Guardians of the Galaxy will also release soon. Minis come in packs of one or two, for example Groot and Rocket will besold in one pack.

Verdict
The game plays pretty fast and looks sweet on the table. It's fun to play with characters you know. The slightly bigger-than-usual minis (40mm scale) are also a joy to paint. The addons can be pretty expensive, though, especially in europe where Hulk costs around 35€. I only got one game in so far, but am eager for more!

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want to get the Core Set of this at some point. I love Marvels characters, and there are some fantastic painting tutorials on Youtube for these characters.

Quest Jefferson
Mar 27, 2010
I've had a lot of fun so far with this, but one thing that got me early on was understanding how to use the tactics cards. What doesn't seem intuitive at first is that unless a card specifically says it has to be played during a specific character's activation, you can use it during any of your characters' activations as long as the card's character/positional/power requirements are met. Also that activating a superpower isn't an action unless it has "Action:" in its description.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Man I picked this up the other day at half off since I had one of my LGSs going out of business and completely forgot about it.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Picked up the core set and the MODOK expansion (cause I <3 MODOK). Looks fun and I have some friends who are interested in trying it. The miniatures look great when assembled, but I gotta say...

These are some of the most fiddly miniatures I've ever had to assemble. There are a lot of super tiny pieces that should have just been sculpted onto their respective parts. The skull part of Crossbones mask? The quilted elbow patches on Baron Zemo's jacket? It's a good thing they look drat fine when assembled because the assembly itself was a pain in the rear end.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I was fortunate enough to buy my coreset from someone who had carefully built and primed all models, sleeved all cards, sorted all tokens in a box and THEN decided that he wasn't feeling it and sold it all, so I didn't have to deal with that. Is it worse than Malifaux, a game where you have to glue a beard onto a tiny old guy's head, a modelling feat considered so ridiculous that they based a T-Shirt on it?

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Thanks for starting this thread, Luebbi! MCP is great, but man is it hard to get a community going. Any Toronto goons getting into it?

I fell hard enough to get all this just to have a good home board:

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Luebbi posted:

I was fortunate enough to buy my coreset from someone who had carefully built and primed all models, sleeved all cards, sorted all tokens in a box and THEN decided that he wasn't feeling it and sold it all, so I didn't have to deal with that. Is it worse than Malifaux, a game where you have to glue a beard onto a tiny old guy's head, a modelling feat considered so ridiculous that they based a T-Shirt on it?

It's almost to that level. Just a smidgen less intolerable.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

KingMob posted:

Thanks for starting this thread, Luebbi! MCP is great, but man is it hard to get a community going. Any Toronto goons getting into it?

I fell hard enough to get all this just to have a good home board:

Nice board! I started the thread because noone else did, just wanted somewhere to talk about the game ;)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Worth mentioning are Ultimate Encounters. Asymmetrical scenarios that go outside the bounds of their normal scenario play. The first is on their website https://www.atomicmassgames.com/rules 'All Will be Metal' an everybody pile on Ultron game.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Worth mentioning are Ultimate Encounters. Asymmetrical scenarios that go outside the bounds of their normal scenario play. The first is on their website https://www.atomicmassgames.com/rules 'All Will be Metal' an everybody pile on Ultron game.

We had a Bad Time playing the All Will Be Metal because I was playing Ultron and won on my second activation. On my first I rolled a blank on the doomsday dice so I claimed one terminal. Then I moved up to claim a second, and moved/teleported to a third. The heroes scrambled to block me from getting to the last one, trying to deny a landing done, but between flight and a 2” teleport it wasn’t possible.

We reset and played again, this time they tried to block the terminals while attacking, and it took me 2 rounds to run. The terminals are just too close together - if Ultron starts on one he can tag 2 more on his activation. The crisis team needs to end each activation controlling at least 3 of them or Ultron auto wins. Even activating three heroes in a row this is tough. And if they’re focusing on that it’s hard to rescue civilians and attack Ultron so they’re not scoring points.

Basically there’s no incentive for Ultron to ever attack. Just keep moving and claiming terminals. Hoping they’re looking at this as a public playtest and tweaking their Thanos scenario.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I spent the last two weeks in a painting frenzy. Finished the entire starting box (sans one car), HULK and M.O.D.O.K. Also bought some more terrain and a playmat.

Second and third game yesterday went great. I played Hulk in both, but was too agressive with him and lost him early both times. Rolled abysmally bad second game around, and hit a 9 dice beam attack on two characters with Hulk, only to do not a single point of damage. Hulk sad.

I also took some promo pictures to show the game and my setup to friends and our FLGS to drum up interest.

Last but not least, Rocket and Groot got spoiled and they're baller!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I fell into a rabbit hole of reading stuff like 'Is Doc Ock bad' and 'why Venom is better than Spidey' please send help.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Dawgstar posted:

I fell into a rabbit hole of reading stuff like 'Is Doc Ock bad' and 'why Venom is better than Spidey' please send help.

It feels pretty good to see how much discussion, podcasts and battle reports there are already for this very young game. I'm spoiled for choices. Seems like a successful launch.

I went from "I'll just buy Venom, Vision and Winter Soldier for now", to "Thor sounds good, let's pick him up" to "then I'm only missing Black Panther for the Avengers" to "might as well buy Shuri and Okoye while I'm at it". My wallet hates me and my poor impulse control.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Got two games in today. Got trounced in both, but got off a hella sweet M.O.D.O.K. activation with two Doomsday Chair attacks and a Reroll Card that led to me dazing previously uninjured Killmonger and Shuri. Nice!

Also, this game just looks great on the table.

Today's table setup

My first time playing Cabal

Second game, with Venom lurking in the back

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is there anything better that seeing MODOK gamboling around on somebody's lovingly-made game table? My friends I tell you no.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
That's a really nice set-up. Who makes the mat? Did you print off those posters?

I discovered this week that the following combination (if you can pull it off with priority) of mission/affiliation/characters is super nasty:

1. Take the Worthy extraction mission.
2. Have Winter Soldier and Red Skull in your team under Cabal.
3. Get a hammer on WS ASAP and start pinging enemies with 5 dice Assault Rifle shots at range.
4. On a pivotal turn, get WS into Red Fury range and throw 8 + 5 dice at a target.

WS becomes a huge threat very early that forces your opponent to devote resources to daze/KO him. I might also try to get a flyer in the list to make use of Drop Off.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
One trick I saw for posters/graffitti, if you ever find yourself at a restaurant/grocery store/bowling alley that still has the $.25 machines in the foyer, pop a few quarters in one that pops out stickers. Stick those on buildings then give them a coat of gloss or matte varnish depending on your tastes.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
The mat is from Kraken Wargames, a german manufacturer. Tricky to get in the US.

The posters came with the busstop, from 4ground (also german afaik). The busstop isn't mdf but some kind og sturdy cardstock, very flimsy and frustrating to build, but I think it looks cool on the table.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So at this point I am cool or worse on the thought of the Punisher, but I can get excited about Taskmaster as the other half of the new two-pack.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Back to fully painted, at least until this month's releases get delivered. Luckily I've got a lot terrain to paint while my family is social distancing/wfh/off school for the next three weeks...

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Those look great! Nice, crips colours. Vision an Thor are the stand-outs for me. What colours did you use for Vision?

After an abysmal game last week, I decided to shelf Hulk for the time being. He is just too easily controlled. Stagger and Pushes are really bad for him, and as long as Shuri is so prevalent in the meta, you can count on him getting pushed or double-pushed each round.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Thanks! Vision's base coats were VMC Magenta, and Army Painter Goblin Green and Poisonous Cloud.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

KingMob posted:

Back to fully painted, at least until this month's releases get delivered. Luckily I've got a lot terrain to paint while my family is social distancing/wfh/off school for the next three weeks...

Nice work! Do they give you parts to make an MCU Valkyrie or is that just the paint job?

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Just the paint. If there's one thing I'd like to see AMG start doing, it would be including alternate head sculpts for some models.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Well, it seems like most of my hobby time in the foreseeable future will be spent painting instead of playing. Finished Rocket and Groot over the weekend. Gorgeous models. Especially happy with Rocket, who turned out better than I had hoped while assembling his tiny model. I fixed up Groot's feet and gave him proper teeth since this picture was taken.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Since there haven't been any new releases in Canada, I decided to try and get my board finished before the avalanche of June releases. I'm really happy with how this turned out:

The park tiles are made from art board, painted and flocked:

Starlord looking for a snack:

Rocket waiting for his FLGS to re-open:

Groot defying shelter-in-place orders:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
god I dunno if this is just quarantine madness but I'd kill for some nice marvel figs to paint right now, may have to get this

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Loving the game and the models have lots of detail but......

I really want to kick the designer of Shuri in the junk repeatedly... yell at them and kick them again. That model is ridiculous.

KingMob posted:

Since there haven't been any new releases in Canada, I decided to try and get my board finished before the avalanche of June releases. I'm really happy with how this turned out:

The park tiles are made from art board, painted and flocked:

Starlord looking for a snack:

Rocket waiting for his FLGS to re-open:

Groot defying shelter-in-place orders:

All of that looks amazing

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Don't know what it's like in the rest of the world, but Thanos is getting released on the 10th in Australia. Game shops are just opening up here for games since we actually had a proper lock down, but a lot of people have been playing on TTS.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Seems like Thanos is due on the 10th in Canada as well. Game spaces here in Toronto are nowhere near to opening up yet, and to be honest, even if they were it's unlikely I'd been stepping foot in one until our Covid numbers drop to zero.

Anyway, here's 6/10 of June's releases done. Canada post's backups have delayed delivery of Black Widow/Hawkeye and Drax/Ronan.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Wow those look good.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Raged posted:

Wow those look good.

Thanks! Ebony Maw was not as fun to paint as the others, but Black Dwarf's skin turned out exactly as I wanted.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Aww, yeah, MCP! One of the three games I'm stoked to play as soon as I can see humans other than my wife again!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Whelp there goes my Saturday.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Every batch of releases is more fun than the last to paint:

Now on to Thanos. I'm trying to figure what kind of colour scheme to use on the throne, because the studio one is so bland...

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Just about an hour away from the next big announcement.

https://www.twitch.tv/atomicmassgames

At this point, if it isn't X-men or a X-Men core set people are going to be disappointed.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

Raged posted:

Just about an hour away from the next big announcement.

https://www.twitch.tv/atomicmassgames

At this point, if it isn't X-men or a X-Men core set people are going to be disappointed.

I was honestly surprised the X-Men weren't appearing earlier.

There's not a lot of chances for my fondest wishes, but I'm hoping out for at least some of them to start showing up. (Dr. Strange, Dr. Doom, Emma Frost, Psylocke, Rogue, Gambit, Black Knight, Bishop, Merlyn/Roma, Dracula, Nightcrawler, Moon Knight, Odin, Scarlet Witch, Wraith, Brother Voodoo, Shuma-Gorath)

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
X-Men Q4. Not a core set but I don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Also a Deadpool teaser at the end there.