Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Back to fully painted with this batch. I took my time and used minimal to no washes this time around.

I cannot wait to paint that Lizard...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
The minis for this game are getting better and better and it's picked up a lot of steam in my area. It's one of my favorite games right now.

Also I'm not super into Blade but his mini is amazing.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Blade reveal was cool but OMEGA RED and CASSANDRA NOVA were loving awesome. Really enjoying how deep into X-Men these game designers are going and how much the miniature designs are improving. Sadly I was just getting started with mini painting when I bought many of these (my Winter Soldier and Iron Man are really terrible) but I'm glad there will be so many great minis coming out to go nuts on.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

DLC Inc posted:

Blade reveal was cool but OMEGA RED and CASSANDRA NOVA were loving awesome. Really enjoying how deep into X-Men these game designers are going and how much the miniature designs are improving. Sadly I was just getting started with mini painting when I bought many of these (my Winter Soldier and Iron Man are really terrible) but I'm glad there will be so many great minis coming out to go nuts on.

So I've been trying to follow along with new mini previews, but the MCP/Atomic Mass website absolutely sucks - where can I go to see previews images and such regularly?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Darius099 posted:

So I've been trying to follow along with new mini previews, but the MCP/Atomic Mass website absolutely sucks - where can I go to see previews images and such regularly?

there was a bunch of stuff briefly shown during a livestream they had, but none of it was put into any official tweets or youtube videos----here are 2 reddit posts for the announcements for those 4 characters:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelCrisisProtocol/comments/m9dm0j/blade_and_omega_red_were_revealed_on_stream_today/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelCrisisProtocol/comments/m8i3uo/jean_grey_and_cassandra_nova_officially_confirmed/

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Printed Howard the Duck with some beer bottles to approx scale.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm really looking forward to getting that Sam Wilson Captain America.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm really looking forward to getting that Sam Wilson Captain America.

Same. Really hoping he breathes new life into the Avengers.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Sin and Viper complete, just in time for the delayed releases deluge...

Love that Howard!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Really wish I had the gumption to get some of the newer characters coming out but something about the plastic or detail of Crisis Protocol miniatures throws me off so badly. I'm able to paint Warhammer 40k/Sigmar stuff really, really well but for some reason, like half of my CP miniatures end up looking pretty mediocre. Am I just crazy or is there something about the quality that makes them harder to paint?

I'll admit I got started painting minis with Crisis Protocol so quite a few of my collection is kind of sludgy but even newer stuff like She-Hulk gave me some issues. Maybe it's due to some detail lines not being raised as much---I remember being pissy when I painted Wolverine.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I hear what you're saying; the detail on some models is very shallow and can disappear under slightly heavy priming. Wolverine was not a pleasure to paint. Chunkier models, like Thor, Sabertooth, Ronan, etc. are much easier/more fun to paint and feel more like GW models.

I go much slower and have dropped washes almost entirely and feel my completed models look a lot better.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The quality of the sculps swings wildly, even on features that should ostensibly be the same. Compare Angela to Loki. Both Asguadian models, released not that far apart. Angela's model is an absolute pleasure to work on so long as you can get past the ribbon things. Her face is very detailed, including a subtle mask. Had no trouble with her at all. Then I get to Loki. The posing and his clothes are fine, but I have no idea what they were doing with his face. He's clearly got both a nose and chin, and there's something where his mouth should be. Eyes? Not really.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah I really dislike the wolverine sculpt, it looks more like he's performing a cabaret number than battling.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Do I need to scrub down MCP minis before panting them?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do I need to scrub down MCP minis before panting them?

That's typically not needed for plastics like these. I haven't been washing mine and they've all been fine.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Full agree, I painted Doc Ock last week and poo poo a brick when the shades disappeared after just some skin paint.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Case in point: Domino has detailed/prominent facial features. Not big on the pose, but she was fun to paint.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the newer miniature sculpts for CP, at the very least, are absolutely epochs beyond the starter set stuff. The Magneto I painted a few months back was definitely one of the best minis in terms of detail and smoothness. Kraven/Lizard might be two of the most incredible miniatures I've seen across the board of any mini game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

KingMob posted:

Case in point: Domino has detailed/prominent facial features. Not big on the pose, but she was fun to paint.

Aw, Dom's having fun. I like it!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I think I want to collect all the Spider-Man and his villains stuff for this game. I know enough about the rules to know I'd like it, but the sculpts for upcoming stuff look great. That Omega Red though...

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
It's a fun game! I started out buying Miles and Gwen because I wanted to paint them, and now I own almost everything...

The models keep getting better and more dynamic, and the game itself is pretty nuanced while not being overly complicated and quick to play.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
I bought this game for my 11 year old niece (and so I could collect and paint some X-Men). This will be her first time trying a miniatures game and painting, so hopefully she likes one of these things! Are there any good tutorial missions for this game, especially cooperative ones like the one official ultron co-op mission?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

imperialparadox posted:

It's a fun game! I started out buying Miles and Gwen because I wanted to paint them, and now I own almost everything...

The models keep getting better and more dynamic, and the game itself is pretty nuanced while not being overly complicated and quick to play.

I just opened up the double spider/venom boxes and hot drat these cards are thematic as gently caress, this is great

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Padical posted:

I bought this game for my 11 year old niece (and so I could collect and paint some X-Men). This will be her first time trying a miniatures game and painting, so hopefully she likes one of these things! Are there any good tutorial missions for this game, especially cooperative ones like the one official ultron co-op mission?

I would recommend pre-determining the Crises, and avoid the Ultimate Encounters. The UEs, like Ultron's, are pretty brutal even under normal conditions. They are less co-op experiences IMO, and more akin to boss raids.

Feel free to try them out, though! I haven't played a UE since last summer when a small group decided to virtually try Thanos' UE.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Starting to get caught up, but there's 6 more coming this week...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LOL holy poo poo the new Kraven model has an ability called Fearful Symmetry wherein if you knock out a Peter Parker character, you can then BECOME the core box Spider-Man. loving situational and fluffy as hell but could be such a cool narrative trump card if you're low on health and are against Spider-Man.

Paintingwise for some reason I have never been that great with Marvel minis compared to Warhammer, but these might be the best two I've ever done so far---finally realized that the CP minis really need much thinner paint on the less pronounced details.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I think those turned out great.

This weekend I'm going to finish cleaning up my hobby area on my desk and get to putting some of these spider people and anti-spider people people together.

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy
So I just received the core set as a gift from some friends and after looking at the miniatures I am very excited to get all the characters built and painted. My dad owns a comic book store so Marvel characters have a special place in my heart. I'm telling myself I need to paint the starter set before I get any of the expansion characters because I'm already eyeing the xmen and ghost rider.

Does anyone have any experience with the fat dragon games paper craft buildings? I would rather start putting a table together with stuff like that rather than the more expensive mdf terrain I see available.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
Painting Wolverine's eyes on either of his heads has made me hate this model. There's just something about the spacing and the raised parts not being where I expect them to be that's throwing me off. Any tips?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I have Ghost Rider and plan on picking up Dr. Strange eventually. Who else should I get to fill out the Defenders?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Padical posted:

Painting Wolverine's eyes on either of his heads has made me hate this model. There's just something about the spacing and the raised parts not being where I expect them to be that's throwing me off. Any tips?

this is echoing the problems I was describing previously----CP models sometimes not having raised detail at all (Wolverine's side-stripes loving SUCK for this reason too.) I managed to fix his mask eyeholes by just repetition of painting the white on them, and repainting the black on the excess white until I was sorta satisfied with it. For every CP model that is moderately easy and has decent detail lines, there's another where the sculptor was like "ah who gives a gently caress" and it's incredibly annoying. In any case, I think everyone hated painting Wolverine and that's a shame because he's loving Wolverine.

The new sculpts coming out in the next month or so are absolutely their most incredible work yet so I'm hoping the details are more "raised up"+ maybe the increase in quality will apply to that as well.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Padical posted:

Just approximate as best you can. I was also frustrated him. Wolverine is one of the models in the range with a poorly defined face.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I have Ghost Rider and plan on picking up Dr. Strange eventually. Who else should I get to fill out the Defenders?

A friend plays this game pretty competitively (if that's your thing) and he's been finding great success with this roster:

Dr. Strange
Soul Gem
Hawkeye
Valkyrie
Iron Fist
Scarlet Witch
Enchantress
MODOK
Hulk
Toad

You can't go wrong with the Iron Fist / Luke Cage and Thor / Valkyrie boxes even in casual play.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
Okay, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. I was losing my mind trying to figure out why I couldn't dot some simple eyes on a model.

And yes, the side stripes also made me hate painting him. All this on top of the always nightmarish bright yellow that Wolverine likes to rock.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I'm starting to fall behind, but man these models are so worth the time:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

KingMob posted:

I'm starting to fall behind, but man these models are so worth the time:

I love all your stuff man, never stop posting.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Got off my rear end and uploaded some recent stuff:

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Thanks for the kind words! Also, nice sharp looking paint jobs!

Here comes Dormammu:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I love the models and the idea of a Marvel game. I sure don't love the ruleset though.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Beerdeer posted:

I love the models and the idea of a Marvel game. I sure don't love the ruleset though.

I would love to hear more. I've been casually observing this game, and some of the minis are absolutely good enough to own and paint, but I know almost nothing about how it plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

KingMob posted:

Here comes Dormammu:

No ring.