Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I kind of like the original Captain Marvel sculpt more, but I did modify it. Now that I'm thinking about it, have some of my more recent bullshit as well:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

That's a great use of Cassandra Nova's weird energy fountain, legit the best way to put it somewhere. also LOL at the Mask Kingpin, amazing.

Noticed that the ruined building for the new box set replaced the Sentinel ruins in it for Ultron drones lol.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ashcans posted:

I am so pumped about the new Captain Marvel, for ages I've been grouchy during games when I use Binary Form and don't get to make a cool substitution like Emma or Hood. Now I do! Not sure I want the entry tax of buying Crossbones, Zemo2, etc. but I guess I'll probably fall for it anyway. The fact they are also all new versions is nice, at least you aren't just doubling up with alternative sculpts of your existing force.

During the presentation I went from "oh it's all cosmetic changes so I don't have to spend 100+ dollars on another box" -> "oh no they're all new characters" -> "SINISTER SIX LEADERSHIP TAKE MY MONEY"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oh no, the Kingpin! Won't somebody stop him!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I played a couple games of this recently with a buddy that has basically every figure and decided to try SHIELD.

First game went poorly for me because I took a list with multiple "Got your back" abilities thinking I'd be getting a bunch of extra shots off with grunts getting KO'ed and not realizing that "Got your back" has an energy cost as well. Live and learn, but I also rolled like absolute trash the entire game. The only thing that kept me from getting completely blown away in points was Fury giving me a VP every time my guys got dazed or KO'ed. Felt real bad, I was pretty down on the game.

A week or so later we did another round and I stuck with SHIELD, but went with a group that had a lot of status effects. Rolls went better, my plays were sounder and I ended up ahead on points by the end. My status effect strategy went absolutely nowhere and the only real payoff would have been a better Widow's Kiss, so next time I think I will pick my roster without that as a consideration. Eyes in the Sky in particular was doing work making my friend whiff shots with Gambit, so I might focus more card choices around repositioning tricks next time. Pretty much any time he would have nailed me with a two for one attack, I was able to get one target clear.

I'm not sure what to aim for in a roster next time since my "themes" ended up going nowhere.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

NofrikinfuN posted:

I played a couple games of this recently with a buddy that has basically every figure and decided to try SHIELD.

First game went poorly for me because I took a list with multiple "Got your back" abilities thinking I'd be getting a bunch of extra shots off with grunts getting KO'ed and not realizing that "Got your back" has an energy cost as well. Live and learn, but I also rolled like absolute trash the entire game. The only thing that kept me from getting completely blown away in points was Fury giving me a VP every time my guys got dazed or KO'ed. Felt real bad, I was pretty down on the game.

A week or so later we did another round and I stuck with SHIELD, but went with a group that had a lot of status effects. Rolls went better, my plays were sounder and I ended up ahead on points by the end. My status effect strategy went absolutely nowhere and the only real payoff would have been a better Widow's Kiss, so next time I think I will pick my roster without that as a consideration. Eyes in the Sky in particular was doing work making my friend whiff shots with Gambit, so I might focus more card choices around repositioning tricks next time. Pretty much any time he would have nailed me with a two for one attack, I was able to get one target clear.

I'm not sure what to aim for in a roster next time since my "themes" ended up going nowhere.

I play a lot of SHIELD reasonably well so if you decide to stick with that I'm happy to help.

You've actually got the right idea with the multiple "Got Your Back" triggers, as both the Howling Commandos and Bucky are staples of SHIELD. SHIELD plays a gunline style that deals damage via high quantity of attacks. MCP dice are very spikey, so when you're throwing a lot of 4-5 die attacks at a target you'll often go from doing 0-1 damage for a bunch of attacks to 4+ in one hit. SHIELD lives off of softening people up with the poke damage and then exploiting the spikes. RNG4-5 attacks with good mobility tools (the Commandos "Brother in Arms" and Bucky's "Hydra Tactics") let you make a lot of attacks each round, and that adds up. Then you stack the Got Your Backs on that.

Eye in the Sky and Fury's leadership fill out more of the puzzle. Your character's aren't particularly durable, so you can't aggressively play the mission. The leadership lets you go down by a few points and either your opponent isn't dazing any characters and you get a significant attrition advantage, or you close the gap. And Eye lets your squishly characters live through one more activation than they normally would.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SHIELDs whole gimmick is that they get access to a bunch of cards that are restricted or banned elsewhere, and Eye is one of the best. they like to be a gun line that grabs stuff and retreats, forcing you to overextend and get punished.

but if you don't gel with their style, nothing wrong with trying other stuff. how do you like to play? lots and lots of damage (black order)? displacement (asgard)? or just stand there and score out while the opponent keeps falling behind (crimsyn)?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What's the best way to play Guardians? I've got everybody but Beta Ray Bill and Agent Venom.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

What's the best way to play Guardians? I've got everybody but Beta Ray Bill and Agent Venom.

step 1: acquire Flash and Beta Ray William, they are straight up some of the best characters in the game and are in-affiliation.

step 2: field a team of Star-Lord, BRB, AV and whoever the gently caress, and dumpster everyone because that's a drat fine 11pt core

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

line up gun shoot men until dead. and uh get Beta Ray Bill because he's one of the best models in the game

barncat is a pretty solid guardians player who's done some deep dives on them so I'd probably start there.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dawgstar posted:

Point Cosmic Ghost rider at someone every turn and blow your opponent off the table

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Thanks for the feedback. I will probably go ahead and stick with SHIELD for now, the second game felt a LOT better than the first. I will most likely bring Winter Soldier back into my list, rapid fire has worked out pretty well for me overall and I can figure out how to save up for Got Your Back when I need it.

I was kind of disappointed in Hawkeye in game two, but I just need to learn to make use of his special abilities for him to perform a bit better. His counterattack is pretty awkward though, I seemed to always be too close to use it. I got pushed out of LOS with Taskmaster and started abusing his Shield Throw, so I'm sure Trick Shot has some utility, I just need better positioning.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

If you ever get a Cube on Winter Soldier he feels downright degenerate.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

NofrikinfuN posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I will probably go ahead and stick with SHIELD for now, the second game felt a LOT better than the first. I will most likely bring Winter Soldier back into my list, rapid fire has worked out pretty well for me overall and I can figure out how to save up for Got Your Back when I need it.

I was kind of disappointed in Hawkeye in game two, but I just need to learn to make use of his special abilities for him to perform a bit better. His counterattack is pretty awkward though, I seemed to always be too close to use it. I got pushed out of LOS with Taskmaster and started abusing his Shield Throw, so I'm sure Trick Shot has some utility, I just need better positioning.

Winter Soldier is a monster against everythjng except damage reduction and cover.

Hawkeye I don’t like, but I’m in the minority among SHIELD players. He’s just never performed well for me. But he’s good against cover and the conditions he gives out are great.

(Cover is relevant less because of terrain and more because of Storm’s leadership and Magneto’s Magnetic Refraction card, which really mess with SHIELD.)

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

admanb posted:

Winter Soldier is a monster against everythjng except damage reduction and cover.

Hawkeye I don’t like, but I’m in the minority among SHIELD players. He’s just never performed well for me. But he’s good against cover and the conditions he gives out are great.

(Cover is relevant less because of terrain and more because of Storm’s leadership and Magneto’s Magnetic Refraction card, which really mess with SHIELD.)

I had to look up the Storm ability and realized my friend was playing Storm wrong to my advantage last game. He only referenced her leadership ability to reposition his team. Between that and my playing grunts wrong, that game might not have gone so well for me.

A lot of exchanges were within 2 or ignored cover/LOS anyway, but I can't help but feel it puts an asterisk next to the win.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

NofrikinfuN posted:

I had to look up the Storm ability and realized my friend was playing Storm wrong to my advantage last game. He only referenced her leadership ability to reposition his team. Between that and my playing grunts wrong, that game might not have gone so well for me.

A lot of exchanges were within 2 or ignored cover/LOS anyway, but I can't help but feel it puts an asterisk next to the win.

I wouldn’t worry about it. It was your second game ever and probably was the only rule you forgot/got wrong.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Our local store's league is starting a new season, and for funsies we decided to do a draft, splitting the league into two, cheekily patterned after Civil War. We all got together and drafted 1 hero at a time until the 8th round, then went to 2 at a time. We had a big board with magnetized names and it was a lot of fun hootin' and hollerin' at each other snaking picks. Both teams get full access to all crises and tactics.

I was on Anti-Registration and this is what we got (4 person teams). One player is on SHIELD/A-Force flex, one on classic Guardians plus GR, one on some unholy Murderkitty/Hydra thing, and I'm looking at a Convo/Defenders flex. What 4 threats do they want? The only 4 threat currently I have is Voodoo (who is good, no doubt) and I feel like I would want more. Currently looking at
  • Okoye
  • Magik
  • Ancient One
  • Clea
  • Baron Mordo
  • Doc Voodoo
  • ☼ Doc Strange
  • Doc Strange, SS
  • Scarlet Witch
  • Immortal Hulk
but maybe there's better splashes than just going absolutely pure Defenders/Convo?

e: if you want to see where everyone went in the draft, here's what the :siren: ACAB Pro-Registration :siren: did:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 13, 2023

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

NofrikinfuN posted:

Hawkeye is not very exciting, but he should be good for handling Objectives. Either he can sit back on a Secure and still take shots at people, or he can grab an Extract and keep away using Hookshot and plink at enemies. Without a spender he doesn't have anything to do with his power besides his abilities, so you should be able to Trick Shot or one of his others fairly reliably. His conditions are good when they trigger, but also make sure you are using his damage types. He's a great choice to snipe at enemies like Venom, Carnage, and Mysterio who have a clear weakness he can tap, and with Range 5 he's going to be safe from counterattacks which are usually range 3. He's only a 3 so you can't expect too much from him, but he doesn't need much to put in his work.

The original Black Widow is also in Shield and is a very efficient 2 threat for grabbing an extract and running away, or tapping a secure and making your opponent take effort to contest it.

I think there might be a new leader for Shield in the upcoming core re-release?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

is Clea worse than OG Daredevil? at least Daredevil doesn't have a superpower that he can kill himself with

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

That's a real "chocolate or peanut butter" kind of question. I will say I've seen OG Daredevil serve a role in my friend's Defenders/Web Warriors list that they've run to moderate success, whereas all I've ever seen Clea do is die.

Both characters are a pretty small change away from being viable. Daredevil needs either action economy (but saying that is cheating) or survivability (why doesn't he have stealth???) Clea has two great superpowers that cost way too much and her power gen kills her (I'm including her gainer in that because a rng3/4 die gainer will result in her immediate death) so she either needs her non-combat power gen and superpower costs revamped so she can be a true support piece or a more significant revamp.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK working on a convocation list, have room for 1 more 3 threat, but our team has no more affiliated 3s (except Clea and :getout: on her), so of the listed minis, is there anyone in a vacuum who has any kind of power?

Storm
Ant-Man
Arnim Zola
Black Widow AoS
Crystal
Doc Ock
Human Torch
Kraven
Punisher
Supergiant
Viper
War Machine

I'm leaning towards Viper as I don't currently have a long mover and if you have a threat to spare she does a good-enough impression of core Widow.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I'd play Crystal as a L mover over Viper. Or Ant-Man, who's kinda just good.

Human Torch isn't bad if you want an extract steal.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I would probably go with Human Torch. He only moves M but he's got flight and hit and run, which are nice.

If you feel like this format might just devolve into people fighting with each other more than objective plays, Widow could be useful with Interrogate, but that's a long shot.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Why is the thread title not Assemble Avengers?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Avengers, assembled.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

You Idiots! This isn't the convocation, these are their stunt doubles!!

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Nice job, really like the fire on uh...Magic? I still can't get mine to look quite right.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I finally got my Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider from Isekai done. Just need to attach the jewelry chain to his hands. (ignore picture, was trying something with the macro lens that didn't work)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I had a photoshoot with my neighbor who's a professional photographer using lenses worth more than my car. More pics to come.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nimrod basically confirmed today

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

Nimrod basically confirmed today

where ya'll seeing him, checked their Instagram and new site and didn't see anything

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MINISTRAVAGANZA!

Full break down from AMG:
MCP Roadmap:
We gave more details on products announced at Adepticon!
Rivals Panels: Battle for the Throne featuring King T’Challa and Killmonger, Usurper. Showed art for 4 tactics cards including Synthetic Heart-shaped Herbs, Bast’s Blessing, K’Liluna’s Glory, and Trial by Combat.
Kingdom of Wakanda Terrain Pack and Icons of Bast Terrain Pack.
Wakandan terrain packs introduce new optional terrain rules with One-Shot Vibranium Spill and One--- Shot The Panthers Stood Watch.
Showed miniatures and art for Bishop and Nightcrawler.
Spoiled cards for Nightcrawler.
Showed tactics card art for Children of Atom, Mutant Traitor, and Preserve the Dream. Spoiled tactic card for Mass Transit.
Showed miniatures and art for Iceman and Shadowcat.
Spoiled cards for Shadowcat.
Showed tactics card art for Faithful Companion, Hold Still, and Untapped potential. Spoiled tactics card for Xavier’s Dream.
Showed miniatures and art for Professor X and Shadow King
Spoiled cards for Shadow King.
Showed tactics card art for Mind Wipe and Astral Plane. Spoiled tactics card for Cerebro.

Reviewed Pre-Adepticon Announcements
Scarlet Spider and Gwenom
Sinister Six

Upcoming releases:
Mojo Ball - new game mode!
Silver Sable and Shang Chi
Mighty Thor (Jane Foster), Lady Sif, Thor Odinson, and Loki.
Two New Asgardian Terrain Packs are on their way.

DLC Inc posted:

where ya'll seeing him, checked their Instagram and new site and didn't see anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcg8vISYH4s&t=365s

"Ya gotta hunt those mutants!"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Never would have guess Shang-chi and Silver Sable, the latter def will be nice for Web Warriors. Revamped Asgardians will be cool, the newer Loki is a straight upgrade from the older one which imo is one of the worst looking sculpts of the game. Goddamn the painted Sinister Six and Asgardians look amazing---the quality of the sculpts are just insane. Hoped for stat cards for the Spider-Foes if only because Shocker and/or Vulture really need to be 2 Threats, I want some cheap Spider-Foes for the affiliation.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hard disagree on Shocker and Electro, they seem incredibly lazy and obvious. would've liked more interesting ideas than just Black Bolt and Storm

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shocker probably wasn't gonna be any different for his pose but Electro probably could have gotten a smarmier one. I'm moreso talking about the quality of detail on the minis though, as they'll likely be so much easier to paint than the first year of MCP stuff which had very sparse separation of sections you'd color or even enough raised details (Wolverine, Vision, some of the OG core box was guilty as hell of this.)

If you wanna talk bad sculpts then Storm is still up there, committing the two worst sins of MCP: spindly attachment to something, and having the annoying "female character" syndrome of miniscule toothpick limbs. Psylocke was a breath of fresh air because she had neither of those things.

I did hear from a podcast that the designers are aware of the "spindly lightning bolt" assembly being awful and apparently have worked around it for the Thor Odinson and Mighty Thor miniatures. I assume they'll have better points of contact or something.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tremendous balance changes revealed recently, seems like the game is really going through a second renaissance with the new core box on the way. Full list of changes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVK06ISuCTc&t=97s The X-men came out as the big winners here; nearly all the core team of the affiliation got cool poo poo. Daredevil was also finally given the love people wanted, as he's a new Leader and got a big bump in utility and resilience.

Highlights include:

- Cyclops buffs including new awesome leadership ability where other X-Men will gain Power if they are within 5-range of an enemy getting hit, Suppression on Optic Devastation, possible repeat attacks for his builder.

- Colossus is an M move now and cannot be pushed anymore.

- Wolverine's Best At What I Do costs 1 power less, he got +1 health for injured side as well.

- Storm's team ability costs 1 power now but her Tempest costs 1 power less. Hurricane also got 1 more dice.

- Black Cat cat claw attack can cause Bleed now but Master Cat Burglar now costs an Action. No more free thievery, kids.

- Blade's Throwing Glaive can now activate Pursuit on a wild throw, which brings him S-movement towards an enemy.

- Winter Soldier's Rapidfire rule for his gun now activates on a Wild, so it likely won't activate as often anymore.

- Daredevil---this is the big one. Daredevil's Physical defense went up to 4 from 3, Baton Hook now ignores Stealth, Devil's Deliverance went form 2 to 6 dice with a new rule, and he is now a Leader of the Defenders. Tremendous glow up.

- Elektra now gains 1 power on her basic attack lol

- Brother Voodoo's Daniel power now reverts back to him after he or the possessed enemy is Dazed, instead of being trapped with a ghost on you til Voodoo is KO'd.

- Malekith's Moonlight Blade got nerfed a bit, has no Pierce anymore. His life went down 1 on each side, and cannot throw Size 4 characters anymore.

- Thor's now a 4/4/4, Mystic defense had gone from 3 to 4. Life also went up by 1 on injured side, has immunity to shock and stun, and his Lightning attack now can grant Stun.

- Cable's Wetworks team ability now can reroll Skull results. Stamina increased from 6 to 7, and Plasma Rifle can reroll 2 dice results if within 3 range of an enemy. Askani-son attack cost went down in cost by 1.

- Jean Grey's Psi-bolt now triggers Pierce on a Skull result, Telekinetic force went down in power cost from 6 to 5, and Latent Psychic Potential will now give her 2(!) Power each turn instead of 1. She's finally pretty good!

Spider-Man, Black Bolt, Thanos, Hela, Deadpool, Ronan also had some small changes but I don't remember / am too lazy to doublecheck. Also heard Punisher is finally losing his lone wolf status and will be affiliated with Defenders.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

- Elektra now gains 1 power on her basic attack lol
This is actually a substantial buff. It's already a good attack, 5 Mystic/Pierce is nothing to sneeze at, and her always-on superpower still triggers when she deals damage (which is likely given that attack), which means she gains 2* per attack, which is enough to trigger her martial artist defense, which refunds 1 if she full blocks it. Under Old 4Skull she generates 3 power per attack if it deals even 1 damage, which is wild. She still brings grunts, too.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Black Bolt's changes were basically "what if Black Bolt was an absolute nightmare who could also force you to flip him by bodyguarding every attack." I think he might be tied with Cyclops for "biggest win."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Black Bolt gains an additional power in the power phase, he can bodyguard, and Whisper went to 10 dice(!) I didn't think he was bad at all but he's going to be a monster you can't ignore now.

Amazing Spider-Man now generates power on crits in a roll, which will help supply him with the power he needs for his abilities and attacks - he always felt like he was starving.

As a Web Warriors player I am sad about Black Cat, but making her steal an Action was completely justified. Being able to grab an objective and then double long move and grapple was just ruinous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I like most of the changes and it's good that everyone seems excited about mcp again