Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

geekworthy posted:

Was it my mundane mind that failed at my attempt to divine mind?
Body cultivator sever all ties to magic. Using Qi on your brain will remove its super muscles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Something tucked away so deep in a storage closet that only a demigod can find it? I presume we're invading Narnia now.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Just a thousand? We killed plenty with that lifespan.

It’s title is Prisoner of Time.

Caught this in the first half of a second. I will assume he hides his real spec or readjusted it to not melt HiKaiser from his super aura.

We can’t attack him because it would cause a time paradox with the sequel.

HiKairser have a LONG conversation with this man known as Fu Pikong. This massive plot dump will be abridged.

We, the Chun genuinely thought this wondrous divine device of intricate design with access to another dimension is a storehouse. :classiclol:

To be fair, it was a really good storehouse.

The two Great Wars of Immortals and Demons from thousand years ago was phallic victory and we are living in a manmade sanctuary to escape from further demon invasion.

HiKaiser was excited to go out to murder some demon. Fu Pikong laughed as we brag about the power level in our world.

Wait, wait, wait, we really raised farmer to god in a single month? It’s canon?

However, due it to rapid advancement in this world, our pathetic foundation would be nothing against the demon.

You mean the cloud's power isn’t cap at one billion outside? :aaa:

So our sanctuary is breaking apart.

Hikaiser then proceed to lost his poo poo over this ‘Bottled World’ with a fabricated lie from his cowardly ancestors.

Once we decided to open up this realm to the ‘real world’, our cultivation and attainment powered by this realm will be gone, and all of us will have to start over as mortals.

This is grim news indeed. Hikaiser must be eloquent in his recount of the truth of this world to not cause mass panic.

“HOLY poo poo GUYS! WE ARE LIVING IN A BOTTLE AND GONNA DIE SOON!” :derp:

“So… who will stay here and who will go out?”

“Hurray! I contributed nothing and gets to become God! Hell ye-”

“You FOOL! I don’t recall raising such a lazy Chun!”

“If the world is going to end, then we will go out Chun style!” :madmax:

“You there! Go insult and bring home a dragon!”

“We will prove to that Fu-guy that we can handle more than broken cloud!”

“By challenging everything in this world all at once with a Boss Rush!”

Right on time, everyone! Let us begin!

Son, now is not the time for cowardice! Come out and face glory! :pipe:

All Daoist to the bird! Only you can suck that Egg Building dry!

Our Gods will Out-Qi and capture this Pokemon!

Gym Member Event: Bully this god-dragon!

As for the Outers… if any of you survive, you can all graduate.

“Don’t mind me, just passing through to the bird.”

As you can see, our artifacts are 5x faster than lightning.

The Torch Dragon hugs its’ face, probably weeping.

Our gods’ holy artifact arrives to subdue the water type.

Well done. You hit one of the artifact. 20+ more to go. :thumbsup:

Wrapping up tonight’s dinner.

Wrapping up Outer’s lunch.

*Roar of excruciating lower abdomen pain*

*Safe crossing of laser traffic*

Evil clones spawning at our Wonders collection of great cultural importance!

Permission granted to nuke the place.

Nothing of value was lost.

Oops, I forgot to tell our gymnast to Fight Seriously.

ORA! ORA! ORA! ORA! ORA! ORA! ORA! ORA!

After the literal disintegration of the god-dragon, our gymnast thought the other one is part of the event.

Our Daoist going all out to not lose face against their physical brethren.

Hold on, aren’t you all supposed to fight the bird? Where did it go?

How disappointing.

Even the dead face of the dragon is saying “5 Minutes!? I can’t last 5 minutes!?”

Two minutes for your entrance, actually.

Congrats, you all gets to graduate.

“Huh? But I just got here.”

“Follow this 12 steps instruction on what to eat and study to become god in one week.”

“Alright, time to leave and make my own bottle world that will last even longer.”

“No one died? Aww…”

“Ah! A dying person!”

“Witness this miracle, Outer!”

“We will leave you a scar to remember your foolishness.”

Filling the retirement form…

Approved.

JeffRaze the Fearless bravely ran away.

Shei-kun decided to leave behind her surprisingly powerful artifact to us. Fishes.

“So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish!”

FH_Meta came through the Correct Room, and leave through the Correct Room.

Even with the cloud looming on their head, everyone else decided to stay for the new world.

Our Sect Master will be the one to end it all in order to begin anew.

“WAIT! I JUST STARTED CULTIVATING!”

“You have five minutes to become god! Goddamn no poster!

“Hey, can we copy these cool statues to build on our sect? No?”

“Should I have step back from this exploding circle? No?”

Video of Ending Posted by Dev

:hmmyes: All these season 3 futures being denied. Wonderful.

Literal space surfing.

Someone really need to clean up the entrance.

Getting birded on your trip home must be an auspicious sign. :birdthunk:

We are home... why are everything floating on the sky? Is there no ground to live on?

SON! You also came! :dbuddy:

But seriously, what happened to the ground?

We will know in the sequel.

There’s no season 3.

Updating Epilogue and Chun Hall of Fame

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Let’s have a look at the fate of our Chun.

Daoist, Shendao, and Gymnast all lost their gains… does that mean Body Cultivator can learn magic again? :thunk:

Let’s begin with our beloved sect leader who was standing at point zero of the world-scale dimensional magic activation.

How many of us are willing to give up our hard-earned godly power that took one month to accumulate?

Congratulation to all of our Demi-God who choose to start over in the sequel! There’s no season 3.

As for the non-demi-god…

Wait, she doesn’t need to reincarnate as a baby!? What is this cheat treatment that doesn’t requires reincarnation!? Flarnith (Physical) also got this?

What about our Gods?

Goatface, Acromage, GridLocked (Physical) was killed by Traitors! :argh:

Good things also happen to some who chose to stay.

He won’t be born with previous life’s memory, but body builder doesn’t need to remember any magic formula anyway. This is probably the best for him with so many people owning him favor.

As for our Outers who can’t post become Inner in time.

No luck for any of them.

Lastly, we have the Mysterious Cultivator who protected us for a couple days in the beginning.

Please give him cheat stat next time to protect us.

What about those ascended ancestors?

How’s our beloved fish lady doing in heaven?

Is that why some thousand years old cultivator was so weak?

There goes another 500 years.

Despite the initial waste of time, she managed to reach the State of Heavenly Immortal!

They say she have the best aquarium in the world of immortal!

Oh no, are you going to lose motivation to become stronger with a super pet?

Yeah! Have some principle and cultivate more!

Did the cloud caps at one billion?

So we ARE strong enough to fight those outside demons!

Earnestly assembling her Pokemon team to fight demon.

At least she got away.

How’s our artifact god doing?

I should have known. :hmmno:

How’s our cat lady?

Immediately joined the top gang to take care of her. As expected of a cat.

Make a few powerful friends and crash in their house.

Lynneth also drank this juice, but she can’t handle it and become one with heaven.

I would have gone home if it takes decades to fight a demonic infestation.

drat, demons are scary.

This is before Shei-kun found the Dark Nether’s baby.

Holy cow, you are the most successful ancestor of us all! She also survived a couple ‘clouds’ in that world.

Max Luck cat is riding the good life.

She is powerful enough to clone herself.

‘Found’. :airquote:

Inventing new spells.

Everyone need a Pokemon team to fight demon.

We raised a very successful cat! :monar:

What can even kill her at this point?

:thunk: Perhaps this is the 'poor foundation' from our broken-world that caused her to fail at higher realm. Like having a bad golden core. Maybe she will do better in the sequel.

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
I spent so long riding on my luck and the fortune of our ancestors I didn't stop to actually do work and train. Had a great run in the meantime though!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I guess I am fine being around the chaos.
The sequel will be a single-player RPG.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
If I get what the trailer and also the post-game reveal is actually saying for ACS2 then that means we’re gonna get ourselves a multi-world spanning space ship and entire planets can get harvested for spirit arrays and other highly goofy things as well. I like how there is an in-game reason for there being things like time-shifting and significantly easier cultivation that outstrips the other sects in this world - because *of course* this world is actually just the super chump Level 0 world that was hidden from the rest of the actual universe!

I like how even at the very end the cheat cultivator in me just went “nah reincarnation ain’t for me takes too long” and just went out into the Boundless Universe to go party. In between sleeping, betraying, yelling at people in the gym, and attracting various awakened wall sections into love polygons, somehow managed to circumvent the recommended cycle of avoiding the creed of heaven and cultivation collapsing by just leaving.

Thanks for saving my fingers the trouble of micromanaging cultivators and also doing the all-boss rush at the end. Looking forward to the inevitable next LP in 2023 of ACS2: this time, you can surf through a sword in space

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dang, only a few decades of lording it over the peons.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Wait, the heaven I stole wasn't the real heaven?
Time for perfect reincarnation and steal the true heaven! I must have it all.

Thanks for the two seasons of cultivation, Nyaa. I'm looking forward to Cultivation 2: Eclectic Boogaloo.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Oh, huh. I was playing the game earlier and noticed that one "Hall of Fame" place in the game listed Nyaa among the honored immortals so I figured I'd look it up to see if he had a LP about it, and whaddaya know, not only does he have a LP about ACS he literally just finished the game. Wonderful timing I have.

Haven't had any time at all to read over the LP proper but I noticed there were a bunch of posts by Evil Kit talking about some of the tropes and ideas behind xianxia. Would anyone be interested to hear about some of the actual modern culture and ancient history backing some of the tropes behind xianxia novels?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would. I would also like to hear if there are any stories of friendly relationships between any animals gaining human forms and humans.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
Yes please

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Tomn posted:

Wonderful timing I have.
The LP isn't achieve yet, so I can add your knowledge to the list too.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Celebrating the end of the world and the dawn of a new one with a laser disco rave against a bunch of angry lizards and a chicken. Sounds like a good time.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I have no idea what this ending meant, or what happened to me after the world... decided to do something that caused cultivation laws to revert. Where we living in a tiny universe in a bottle this whole time?

edit: did I turn back into a pill?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

I would. I would also like to hear if there are any stories of friendly relationships between any animals gaining human forms and humans.

I know there's a story where a guy and a white snake lady fall in love

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

god please help me posted:

edit: did I turn back into a pill?
You would have, but you manually reincarnated as a human baby instead.

Gods, however, probably have their soul city popped or something. Or their city started a shitstorm and rebelled successfully.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

What a coincidence, that was where I was going to start!

Now before I begin, two things I'd like to make clear - first, this is all stuff I picked up from bits and bobs of Chinese pop culture, I'm by no means an expert in Chinese mythology nor even really super representative of the culture. Second, it's important to note that xianaxia and its tropes and mechanics are a relatively new invention - new enough that my father, a Taiwanese Boomer, had never heard of most of the stuff in xianxia. In his time, the hotness was wuxia which is basically martial arts +1 without nearly as much in the way of magic and escalating power levels. This means that while xianxia does draw on a bunch of traditional Chinese mythological concepts, they bear as much resemblance to their original forms as modern Hollywood concepts of vampires and werewolves bear to their original Western roots - not that this is a bad thing at all, just important I think to keep in mind.

With that in mind, let's talk about animals. In most Chinese stories, animals are just animals - in Outlaws of the Marsh, for instance, heroes often go around killing tigers to prove their strength and courage, and nothing much is made of the tiger's thoughts on the matter other than that they sure want to eat them some manflesh and are dangerous. Traditional Confucian doctrine as practiced by Chinese elites (who usually wrote down said stories) tended to have a humanist worldview that disdained superstition and belief in magic, so animals only mattered in how they might potentially help or harm humans in the mundane way that animals do.

However, folk traditions and folk religions as practiced by the non-elite are another matter entirely. The idea of animal spirits with some kind of human or near human form are very common, though it must be said that the idea of, say, "humans with fox ears" are a relatively recent codification - older stories tended to be more vague about any tells of their animal forms, if any existed, or about what exactly their monstrous features looked like, if any. Just as commonly animals could just turn into human beings without any flaws and only a wise monk or a clever magician could see through their facade. Again, the mythology is kinda vague and takes multiple forms over time - there's a general agreement that animal spirits can transform into humans, but beyond that the extent of their powers, what rules if any govern their abilities, what weaknesses they possess and in general the hard mechanics of animal spirits are vague and pretty much up entirely to the whims of the storyteller.

These animal spirits would often be malicious in some way. Journey to the West is a standout example of this, where most of the demons trying to eat the monk Tripitaka were animal servants of various Buddhas and Taoist sages who managed to escape and set up shop in the mortal world so that Sun Wukong has something to fight. Outside of Journey to the West, the idea of animal spirits taking human form and then seducing or tricking mortals to suck away their life force is also pretty common, calling for the services of a dedicated exorcist - Daoist exorcists tended to use rituals to summon the powers of heaven and earth to drive away such demons, while Buddhists used sheer holiness and the name of Buddha to compel obedience from the demons. It's interesting to note that Buddhist stories, such as Journey to the West or the tales of the Mad Monk Ji Gong (look him up, he's a blast) usually focus on redeeming the demons somehow - forcing them into submission, and then extracting a promise from them to reform their ways and practice peaceful cultivation instead of being such a nuisance to humanity.

Which brings us handily to the friendlier forms of animal spirits. "Neutral" animal spirits tend to feature more in short ghost stories - a traveler runs across an elegant mansion in the wilds and has a pleasant dinner and conversation with the master/mistress of the house, only to wake up and find out that oh, actually the mansion was a ruin or a cave and the host was actually a fox spirit or something who just wanted a bit of company for the night, how mysterious! Such stories are more often about the strange whims of spirits rather than presenting them as threats or opportunities. There are I think a couple of more benevolent interactions, but the biggest one I'm familiar with is the story of Madam White Snake.

Edit:

Xun posted:

I know there's a story where a guy and a white snake lady fall in love

Yep, here we go!

Now there's a couple of versions of this story floating around, but the version that I'm aware of goes like this: A white snake either practices cultivation or manages to eat a pill of immortality and thus gains magic powers including the ability to transform into a human and naming herself Bai Suzhen. While wandering around as a human, she meets and falls in love with a human named Xu Xian, and the two get married. A local Buddhist monk called Fahai, himself in fact a turtle spirit in human form, notices this and for whatever reason resents this relationship, and so he advises Xu Xian to get his wife drunk and then look on her while she's sleeping. He does this, and sees her in her true form as a giant white snake. This causes the guy to have a heart attack and more or less die, so Bai Suzhen goes on a quest to find medicinal herbs from Taoist immortals to revive him. Upon doing so, he decides that you know what, it doesn't actually matter that she's a snake, she's still the woman he fell in love with so what the hey. Bai Suzhen eventually gives birth to a baby boy, Xu Mengjiao, but shortly after this the monk Fahai returns and after some shenanigans imprisons Bai Suzhen beneath a pagoda and scatters the family. Xu Mengjiao, however, grows up to become a respected imperial scholar, and in a display of filial piety returns to the pagoda to mourn his mother's imprisonment. Moved by such fine feelings, Heaven relents and permits Bai Suzhen's freedom, reuniting mother and son.

Note, by the way, that tribulation doesn't feature at all in any of these stories. In fact I don't think tribulation as a concept seriously exists outside of xianxia as far as I'm aware - heaven can certainly punish people sometimes but it's usually with less direct means than a magical thunderstorm with your name on it.

Again, not at all an academic or comprehensive overview of animal spirits in Chinese mythology, but I hope this was interesting!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I never expected we'd get a proper ending out of this, it felt like the kind of game that goes on forever. It was one hell of a ride, and I'll be looking forward to my reincarnation in Amazing Cultivation Sim 2. Thanks for the LP!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I went to read about orgin sources of Heavenly Tribulation, and fell into the wild rabbit hole of Xianxia version of unified creation myth.

Assuming the key terms ‘Eastern Palace’ and ‘Taiyi’ is hinting at the Eastern Emperor Taiyi, then the ‘Great Immortal and Demon War’ is referring to the ‘Great Devils (immortal) and Demon War’. Human actually belongs to the demon faction since they are creation of Nuwa, among other artificially made beings of the world.

The enemy faction have twelve Great Devil who are basically monsterous titan such as the Torch Dragon (9th Great Devil), and each of them control and manipulate an aspect of the universe.

This great war is one of the three universe ending conflict that broke everything. Nuwa will be patching the sky ( dimension cracks all over the collapsed world) after this. Maybe she’s done by the time we come out, but we might not have ground yet.

Eastern Emperor Taiyi is the leader of the Demon faction, but he died from a suicide self destruction to take down many Devils.

Depends on how much time passed in the bottle world, the next few mythic event would consist of some internal conflicts in Devils faction, rise of humanity and emperor against the Devils.

Sun Wukong is born much, much later.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 16, 2021

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am wildly guessing this predates the Jade Emperor and his devil/demon opponent he edged out in that war?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am wildly guessing this predates the Jade Emperor and his devil/demon opponent he edged out in that war?
Taiyi and his co-ruling brother are the emperors during the war. Their death are succeed by the Golden Child and some lady I can’t recall.

It’s usually the Three Pure One who electes the next emperor.

Jade Emperor was a cultivator who later become one of the Three Pure One’s assistant. He get elected by them at some point.

He’s pretty minor in the unified creation lore and is in rule around Son Wukong era.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Note: not to confuse with actual individual myth. I can’t find the name for this mythic sub-genre of Xianxia. It’s like lovecraft. :v:

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Is the plan here to try and pursue some other endings now that we got the "see you in the sequel" ending? I dunno what the devs have announced for the new game just yet, and honestly I've been busy enough that I haven't had the time to explore any of the post-release content yet.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

aldantefax posted:

Is the plan here to try and pursue some other endings now that we got the "see you in the sequel" ending?
There's no other endings. Only other ways to unlock the ending. Like wait till day 2000.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Oh, right on. Time to sit back and wait for total conversion mods or something to come out!

A genre exploration for anybody joining the thread for some of the xianxia manhwa that are out there:

- Aggregator services like Wuxiaworld, Webnovel, and so on have light novel fiction that is mostly inside of the genre. I haven't read any of them but the more popular ones have been turned into webtoons (webcomics optimized for portrait mode on phones, tablets, that kinda thing)

- God of Martial Arts, Apotheosis, Spirit Sword Sovereign, Yuan Zun, etc. is not necessarily a "good" place to start but since they have hundreds of full-color chapters you can kill a lot of brain cells just mindlessly scrolling through it. Yuan Zun actually is legit and has some of the talisman-type stuff that was referenced in mid-season 1 and 2 for our cool talisman project.

- God of Martial Arts is just flat out bad but it has what is now considered to be a hokey (and classic) start.

- Without spoiling too much, Martial Peak is what I'm thinking of with regards to ACS2, particularly the more recent story arcs. It's not very good either but it's got over a thousand chapters.

A large amount of these will start to seem very similar to one another and tend to distinguish themselves in some minor way, like the main character isn't particularly nice but also is a huge rear end in a top hat, but everybody else in the world is an even more colossal rear end in a top hat that gets their comeuppance. God of Martial Arts is very one-note in this but it's so predictable it's hilarious each time.

I wonder if there will be other games that are going to be like this where it's a life-sim in the same vein that will make it to the English-speaking world. There's a fantastic Medium article someone wrote that goes into the history of mainland Chinese developed games and things run deep: https://felipepepe.medium.com/before-genshin-impact-a-brief-history-of-chinese-rpgs-bc962fc29908

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Nice! Although you talking about Journey to the West reminded me, I think you're a bit too negative on animal spirits in mythology? Like all of Sanzhangs disciples are animal spirits (monkey, pig, fish) and even the horse is a dragon. I feel like animal spirits are much more neutral instead of explicitly "good" or "bad" overall.

Actually this convo reminded me of this video, be warned the lady is more focused on cdramas but she also goes into some mythology stuff (and how she feels modern xianxia fails it).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0fRL8rZeT6E

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Xun posted:

Nice! Although you talking about Journey to the West reminded me, I think you're a bit too negative on animal spirits in mythology? Like all of Sanzhangs disciples are animal spirits (monkey, pig, fish) and even the horse is a dragon. I feel like animal spirits are much more neutral instead of explicitly "good" or "bad" overall.

Actually this convo reminded me of this video, be warned the lady is more focused on cdramas but she also goes into some mythology stuff (and how she feels modern xianxia fails it).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0fRL8rZeT6E

Ah, Journey to the West is kind of an outlier in a bunch of ways. Pigsy and Friar Sand, for instance, didn't START as animals - they're explicitly celestial officers who screwed up somehow and were punished by being banished to the mortal realm and given monstrous forms. I'd have to double check to swear on it, but I think Pigsy at one point bemoans how handsome he used to be for instance. Dragons also don't really count as animals usually in Chinese mythology - they're rarely bestial monsters and are more often elite, intelligent members of the celestial bureaucracy. Journey to the West actually does feature a dragon as an antagonist at one point but that's a fun case of nepotism more than anything else - apparently one of the Dragon Kings had a nephew who was kind of a useless layabout so the King decided to send him off to lodge with a local river god and maybe learn a few things and do some work for a change. The Dragon King wasn't expecting his nephew to straight up evict the river god and take over his residence and proceed to wreak havoc and try to eat Tripitaka as you do. His response when Sun Wukong came to complain basically went "Oh geez, oh gently caress, oh, no, the loving idiot did WHAT now oh my god I am so sorry I will sort this all out immediately (please don't hit me)" Meanwhile, Sun Wukong is A: a walking bundle of exceptions (his birth is elaborated on because it's so unusual), and B: A rabble-rouser and rebel who came within a toucher of overthrowing the Jade Emperor before being subdued by the Buddha and imprisoned under a mountain for hundreds of years.

That being said, Journey to the West is kind of a weird one anyways since the entire thing is basically an extended Buddhist parable about the inner journey of the mind towards enlightenment - in fact if I recall correctly some of the monsters are implied to have been more or less acting on their master's orders in order to test Tripitaka and company.

Mind, talking about the dragon kings did remind me that the guards and soldiers of heaven and hell are often animal-headed humans, horses and oxen often, while the dragons kings are specifically noted to be able to rally in their defense "shrimp warriors, carp soldiers, eel officers, and turtle generals" and so on. These beings are generally set dressing whenever they show up to denote how weird and supernatural and not human at all things are, though, and I don't think the stories often explore where they came from - they just are.

I DID originally want to talk about "good" animal spirits and how they focused on cultivation and being helpful to humans, however! The trouble was that while I could have sworn I've run into them in the past, outside of Madam White Snake I'm having some trouble recalling any specific stories about them so I wasn't sure if I was just making it all up in my head. Malicious or neutral animal spirits are a lot easier to recall. That being said I do agree that in general, animal spirits aren't really specifically noted to be good or bad by nature, just different and usually in possession of magic powers.

Also, that's an interesting video! I'm not sure how far I'd agree on the idea of meritocracy being inherent to Chinese culture throughout history (at the very least anyone who can afford to spend a lot of time studying and not scrabbling for survival is already a significant cut above the rest of society, and in any event the examination system fell in and out of favor over time) but it's interesting that she touches on how traditional mythology can be based on the ideas of the civil service examination because when I have time, the next subject I want to tackle is the gaokao - the modern Chinese examination system, and how in my view it deeply, deeply affects a lot of the themes and tropes of xianxia webnovels.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

quote:

in fact if I recall correctly some of the monsters are implied to have been more or less acting on their master's orders in order to test Tripitaka and company.
The nine tail fox/vixen is a classical monster known for beguiling man and cause the fall of dynasty. Most iteration of its tales usually end with its death for seducing other. In rare case, they do get portrayed as a tragic figure like the white snake who only want a husband.

More interestingly, the novel Fengshen Yanyi is what fully vilify her reputation for sowing chaos and suffering that leads to the fall of the Shang dynasty.

What downplayed was the fact that she’s actually send by Nuwa to commit the atrocities. The deal involves her eventual death, but she gets free pass to immortality after that. So that’s at least a happy ending for the fox in this case.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Tomn posted:

Also, that's an interesting video! I'm not sure how far I'd agree on the idea of meritocracy being inherent to Chinese culture throughout history (at the very least anyone who can afford to spend a lot of time studying and not scrabbling for survival is already a significant cut above the rest of society, and in any event the examination system fell in and out of favor over time) but it's interesting that she touches on how traditional mythology can be based on the ideas of the civil service examination because when I have time, the next subject I want to tackle is the gaokao - the modern Chinese examination system, and how in my view it deeply, deeply affects a lot of the themes and tropes of xianxia webnovels.

Yeah, I sometimes feel kinda sad when some of my Chinese friends talk about how parents did some stuff related to the god of examinations (lmao) for their kids gaokao. Sadly, I somehow ended up with Chinese christian parents so as an Chinese American I don't know poo poo about the folk religion stuff :argh:

Xun fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 17, 2021

Flarnith
Oct 11, 2012
And so passes another Sect into the annuls of history, but as one sect finds the secrets of the world, so to will another sect rise in another world. For to fight against Providence is the truest meaning of the Dao.

But first let me recollect my Shade, a fragment of the greater whole. Once a guide, then a guardian, now will become a guide in another tale.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
What happened to everyone that ascended with the merging thing going on? Did they escape the bottle?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I think the implication was they get forcibly reincarnated, since the ascendant world was just another part of the bottle universe. That's why some people choose to do it preemptively so that they could get the best chances (or not become an animal or inanimate object again) in the merged.

A friend who reads a bunch of Xianxia novels was bemused when I told him about this ending. His comment was normally pocket universes get erased or destroyed and the millions of people in them just die.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Edit: nvm

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 18, 2021

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Nice that I did a cool and noble thing in my last moments, I'll take that.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

HiKaizer posted:

A friend who reads a bunch of Xianxia novels was bemused when I told him about this ending. His comment was normally pocket universes get erased or destroyed and the millions of people in them just die.
Everyone would probably have, but we opened a tunnel to make it become Realm Integration instead.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 19, 2021

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Here's a repost of the Chun Hall of Fame.

I can't remember everyone, and it looks a lot more like a personal note, but it's good enough to honor their contribution and no-posting. Season 1 non-survivor omitted.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Chun Epilogue

Finally, it’s time for the character of greatest paramount to appear! :agesilaus:

The ultimate protagonist, the overpowered author self-insert, th-

The latest game update ruined me! How is it possible to have zero INT as a human!? :pwn:

How can a doctor have such poo poo stats!? Does a medical degree worth nothing!? Zero INT!?

Unacceptable, I will have to make a few minor adjustments in the custom creation.

:hmmyes: Closes enough to my real self.

At last, the House of Chun - Greatest faction that dominated the cultivation world.

According the informant, I suppose to take the side door to join the cult.

Wow, did they have an epic battle of the century recently? Everything is all broken down.

Ohhh, an ascended one! Please grant me good fortune, FH_Meta!

More ancestors! I can feel the nourishing pressures of immense Qi in this big tree room!

Did an Outer offended some Inners?

What happened to the storage? Only shady looking stuff was left in here.

Wow! It’s the heavenly fruit that make you capable of learning more Daoist esoterica! Hopefully no one notice if I-

“STOP! Do not swallow that!”

I’m sorry! I was just looking!
I’m just warning you about the fruit! There’s a reason no one loot that thing.
Loot?
Aren’t you here to salvage the ruin?
Ruin? The House of Chun is gone?
They are long gone! Did you live your whole life in a mountain?
I was studying hard for my PHD in Chinese Medicine.
Why bother? We already got spell to cure cancer.
That’s why I am changing career to become a Daoist.
You are too late for that. No mortal can cultivates anymore.
Huh? Why?
Something about the change of the world and the existing cultivators are also losing their power. They can still cure cancer though.

“Actually, there was one rich guy who spent his whole fortune on rare elixirs to meet the bare qualification to kick starts his cultivation.”

“He got instant arthritis at the age of 21.”

“Since there’s no point in running a school anymore, the Immortals of Chun disbanded and went their own ways.”

“Wealthy organization and powerful individuals wanted to redevelop the place, but these immortal statues stopped them. Especially this powerful statue named: Jeff.”

“See this magical fish here? This fish-lady immortal will slaps you for looting things that she deems you not worthy.”

“I am the worthiest for all these precious talismans!” *Grab*

“I told you bro, I told you about the fish!” :screamy:

“What should I do to become worthy?”

“Do some good deeds, help clean up the 'mess' that try to steal forcefully.”

“Great! We shall fertilize the soil!”

“What!? How could you disrespect the dead like that!”

“Is food more important than honoring their death!? We must bury them properly!”

“Alright, let’s build them a grave in this really nice looking building.”

“STOP! That building must not be opened!”

“Expert cultivators has all agree that this building must never be unsealed…”

“Or the world will sink into Great Depression.”

“Fine, we will do it in this strangely decorated room.”

“A doctor burying a body. How tragic.”

“Got to move all these out of the way and use these tree's wood for the grave."

“Oops. At least it didn't broke.”

“I will pick that up later.”

“I think we did something wrong. It suddenly rains.”

“Oh, we forgot to offer our prayers.”

“This should brighten their days. It’s your turn, Sennek!”

“OH poo poo! A ZOMBIE”

“I AM OUT OF HERE!”

“Hey, it’s fine. I smashed its head.” :smugbert:

“OH poo poo! THIS THING CAN HEAL ITS HEAD! AHGHHH!” :stonk:

“Gallbladderrsss…” “Gallbalddersss…” :zombie:

“GHYAAAA! TIS’ AN UNDEAD!”

“I-I feel hu-hunger for gallbladder?”

“This place should be safe...”

“What is this floaty red thing?"

“Wow! Look at these spirit roots! I am rich!”

“SPIRIT ROOTS! It’s our only hope to continue our cultivation! TAKE IT!”

“SPIRIT ROOTS! It’s essence is better than gallbladder!”

“Why is there so many zombies!? Not that they are a problem for us powerful cultiva-”

“WHO BURIED A RABBIT!? AGRGGGGG!” :supaburn:

“Nope, nope, nope, I’m out!”

And so, the world fell into a zombie apocalypse where even Buildings are infected. But that’s another story I won’t cover because…

There’s no Season 3.

Final map with Mortal World filter

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 26, 2021

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
Bravo, this was a wonderful thread. Definitely started me on the path of liking xianxia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I have a better understanding of the cultivation world in Chinese stories because of this thread.