Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

DelilahFlowers posted:

i guess my strategy is more... unorthodox. For what our expedition does, there is no time for sitting around. 3 is my choice, specifically going the circumference of the town, increasing in radious as we complete a circuit, and hitting up any ruin and easy to take on group of foes. Early game looting and leveling up are more important than sitting to gather, especially with our quite bad gathering tools. We are crafters after all, so we don't get a really good gather that can let us just sit on our bums rummaging for spidersilk. Any loot we find will go directly to our crafters to forge better items and build up the town and any food we get from enemies will sustain our clearing. Once we are full to our britches with loot, we return. The expeditions will give us plenty of experience to level up all of our characters (and in this game all characters share the same experience meter) as well as research points.

For research, I concur with the others. spidersilk is a no brainer, but the next one will have to be wicker. Spidersilk and wicker make for the best early game gathering tools. For buildings I say we go for a smithy. Counteracting the bad quality penalty as soon as possible minimizes the rng making us waste resources. I would then research the field. People is power, and we get people from children. A field gets these little fellas and we need them to live. Gather, craft, or fight, or some other. We live through having them. And setting one up asap gives us more of an advantage in survival as the turns tick by. I would put the cabbage field first, as there is no bad quality buildings in game. But both buildings can be built of wood, so we can set both up easily.

Edit: well bugger me I'm late to my point. As per usual I guess. Enter me into the party pool once our cabbage kids grows up. Some sort of nickname to highlight my "after everyone has already decided" wisdom.

Yep, in fact I've already got the whole next update recorded and somewhat made. Unfortunately, not too much happens for a good part of it because for some reason the game is being quite shy about events all of the sudden.

I took the votes and accommodated for what we had, which resulted in a bit of sitting around during the night to defend while gathering and some exploration during they day.

Normally, I don't leave my expedition nearby unless I've got a decent fear there might be more enemies around than they can handle- otherwise, I pick a direction and head to it, whether it be for quests, gathering, or loot. On the regards of wicker, I'll take my stand and say that making any better than wicker and spidersilk tools is only worthwhile if you have the highest tier weaving material available. I usually don't, so I grab an extra gatherer or two when my kids grow up.

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, while it's useful I've never found the Smithy to be particularly mandatory - the bad quality penalty is pretty low to begin with, and can be mitigated further, and the good quality chance is low enough that it's just not worth rushing for that in particular. The Cabbage Field on the other hand is definitely worthwhile getting early, and I generally feel building the Well early is a good investment too - just dump some high quality materials into it (and you're basically guaranteed to get the ones you need) to get it to +5 random resources a turn and just let it work - it'll really add up over time.

I'll be honest in saying the Smithy is helpful and can be great in the long term, but I've never found it as crucial as say, the buildings that increase stats for new adults. High quality weapons are great, but their percentage is based on the quality of fuel/catalyst, and is more of a lucky thing than something you can count on. Mitigating poor quality is just by having a really good crafter at work (base 20% chance, -1% for every crafting skill point).

I've never really bothered with the well, though that does sound quite nice. I really just rush the unit stat buildings (Smithy, Barracks, and a few others) because it makes the kids come out effectively 5-10 levels higher based on their unit choice. I always rush which one gives me more stats to the class I'll need more of in the future, which is almost always Warriors. Even on Warrior starts.

I like having overwhelming numbers, okay? We're still in the easy zone, this game gets brutal.

Anyways, next update out tomorrow (4/6) or the day after (4/7) depending on how many conversations involving time I get into with a friend of mine.

Edit: Also, yay, next page! Thanks, you two, I was hoping to not have to spam some push posts to send it on over. These are some heavy images, after all.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Alright, it'll be out tomorrow for sure. I don't usually like saying these things with definite dates anymore, but the next update's almost finished as of writing. I've just got some other stuff to get around to in the meantime.

I'm gonna see if I can quickly trim some of these images while I'm at it. The update turned out a bit more interesting than I thought it would though- the kitchen drama has only escalated it seems.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Plan 3

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 4: Silver And Gold, Curses And Construction (Turn 9 - 27)

-----------
Turns 9 & 10
-----------

At the eve of the first night, the ever resourceful people of Goatmurdered turn their focus towards collecting silk.

Since it seemed to be everywhere,it was a reasonable choice.

Unsure of how stable our hold was on the land, the wandering expedition was sure to clear out any enemies still within sight.

Returning more of the undead back to the earth yielded crucial equipment to maintain offense against enemy threats- a shield of dark wood, in the highest quality and a bone necklace imbued with the instincts of a predator.

They made sure they broke some of the bones before they buried them- a grim task indeed, but hopefully the Darkness could not make anything of them now.

----------
Turn 11
----------

After dropping off more of their spoils of war, they noticed a spider nest had formed at the inlet not far away.

They dispatched them easily and found a crossbow, still in passable shape. From there, they headed back to the north east, keeping their bearing by use of the moon.

----------
Turn 12
----------

With time, comes experience. Samovar had grown noticeably stronger thanks to his time in the wilds, while Rocket Baby Dolls had grown better at deflecting blows.

Back at home, Drakenel was becoming more resistant to the commands put forth by the queen of the kitchen.

Willfully, she snuck from the kitchen and started using what spider silk they had in the village stocks to sew new clothing. Besides, making bigos every day and every night was getting a bit dull.

Meanwhile, the expedition had set down and went to gathering spidersilk.

--------------
Turn 13 & 14
--------------

And so they, camped, gathering. Spidersilk wasn't easy to gather, nor find sometimes. The only who was any good at the job was Old Grey Guy, while the others went to gathering things they knew a little bit better.

None of them were well trained regarding it, but everyone made an effort nonetheless.

----------
Turn 15
----------

Travelers? It would seem the people of Goatmurdered weren't the only ones left in this wasteland.

Although not even Black Robe could convince them to stay (perhaps it was a reason not to), they did give directions to an old herbalist who lived not too far from the town. She didn't work for free, but if anyone needed to be saved from poison or mortal wounds, she was a definite choice.

----------
Turn 16
----------

As the sunrise began, Drakenel had finished her project of fancy clothing. It was deemed to be quite useful for the silk itself was not only comfortable, but surprisingly durable.

It is by no means a set of plate armor, but it's light and it'll do. It ends up heading to Arzaac as she's least strong of everyone in town, and it's likely it would be the only armor she could wear for a long time.

Yet, this was not the only product made that day, for in fact they had come up with new plans. How Drakenel managed to draw designs for a watchtower from a silk shirt, nobody knows, but the plans were all laid out. In the process, the village began considering some new ideas, inclined towards more self-defence.

The first, the possibility of a Palisade, making it harder for their town to be breached by the dark creatures outside. Defending would be a good bit easier that way.

The other is that of a Barracks, helping organize their admittedly small military. This way, the children wishing to be fighters would have the training they'd need to excel.

For now, decisions on that would wait as would the production of bigos. Black Robe took to reapplying her skills to build a pasture so that the town could manage their own animals in the future.

Of course, Black Robe did this merely to have a meat supply in the future. The last thing she'd tolerate is for the work in the kitchen to stop. Goatmurdered may be trying to survive in a harsh world, but damned be the Sun if they won't be eating good while doing it.

--------------
Turn 17 & 18
--------------

Seeing as the sun had risen, the expedition that had been gathering through the night finished collecting what they could (which wasn't much) and set back out to clearing away threats. Gathering silk almost seemed easier when they were just stabbing the spiders instead.

Heading eastward, they spotted not only a spider's nest, but also what could be common fruit on the horizon. That would be a lot easier to gather, for sure.

They also spotted the Herbalist's Hut, well camouflaged in the dark swamps. Perhaps they scared the beasties away by appearing to be a Baba Yaga- or at least that's a possible theory. The one thing they knew for sure is that it was a pain to get to given all the forest, hills, and swamps.

--------------
Turn 19
--------------

Another silk shirt was made, and their silk supplies depleted already, the inventive Drakenel set out secretly to make a new pair of tools from some supplies they had. They'd be nothing exceptional, but they'd help out if all these buildings they'd thought of would get made.

In the meantime, the expedition slew a spider nest and found a very small supply of flour. Either that or it was a small bundle of wheat. The sources aren't necessarily clear.

--------------
Turn 20
--------------

While spider bakeries are being crushed an indeterminate distance away, some snakes eerily stare down the citizens of the town, but do not enter.

Meanwhile, more spider nests get crushed. The lack of silk and presence of more baking materials only leads to confusion.

In the taigas beyond the cold, dark swamps, the expedition finds some small ruins during their mission to remove the overgrown creatures from Thea's lands.

Getting into fights seemed to be a common thing in these times.

Though, each and every fight is somewhat different than the last. Now skeletons are brandishing spears of good quality against the six explorers.

And it seems the rats move swifter than ever, often taking first action.

For our team, it is nought but a mere nusiance, however. Claiming the dark wood spear from the skeleton, the team finds a sizable stash of gold!

And yes, weapon wielding enemies are calculated in having they items they drop. It's quite neat.

This dark wood spear, called a Thorn, is the same kind used as used by Fat Samurai. Rocket Baby Dolls picks this one up and Old Grey guy trades in his greataxe for the pike Dolls had before.

--------------
Turn 21
--------------

At moment the spear was traded, Black Robe finished the pasture and the enigmatic Theodore reappeared with a puff of smoke.

The words he spoke are very true: it is possible the people of Goatmurdered could simply flourish in spite of the Darkness to overcome-

:eyepop:
:hai:
:hai:
:hmmyes:

Ah, and he brought some quite decent supplies as a gift. There's better, but this is better than we got last time. 5 Silver is enough to make a quite good weapon, probably a one handed sword or spear.

Whether it was from the combat or Theodore's timely visit, the people of Goatmurdered had become somewhat more experienced.

Those on the road found some good benefits. Samovar evidently had some time to think on how to craft better, Shei-kun was becoming more interested in tactics for the sake of defending her friends, while Pharnakes was looking somewhat prettier, perhaps due to those little herbs she keeps picking and never tells anyone about.

As for those in town-

: Oh! I didn't know you did sewing too! Um, are those little dolls just pincushions?
: Yes, they are. Say, shouldn't you be helping me in the kitchen again? All that sewing must be hurting your back.
: Er, yeah, how did you- Wait is, uh, that moldy garlic I smell?
: ...Of course not. I'd never use moldy garlic.
: *Notices designs carved out in the floorboards* :stare:

- it would seem Black Robe's unnatural charisma and presence possibly had a more different origin than anyone had imagined. Drakenel only suspected this, knowing the most about folklore, but something unusual was going on back at town.

In the meantime, Anonymous gained ever so slightly more resolve to pick carrots and cabbages.

Determined to stay away from the kitchen, Drakenel quickly began work on a new watchtower. Making sure (more) threats didn't get into the town was a top priority. Besides, nobody has to know she built it just so she would have a quiet place away from the kitchen.

Killing two Vily with one stone, really.

She also realized this wouldn't work forever, despite her intentions, so she also drew up plans for a smithy to be made sometime soon. Drakenel was practically the chief architect at this point, though she had to convince Anonymous to not plant cabbages there before she built it.

Both Drakenel and Robe had ideas for making a spiritual monument. Black Robe claimed her totem would have something to do with Horos, while Drakenel had ideas of honoring the Cosmic Tree.

Arzaac, during all of this, was still chopping wood and wondering precisely why she wasn't building any muscle.

Meanwhile, the expedition was fighting BEES. Flimsy things, but rather quite dangerous through their spearing techniques and high poison.

They spoke of fighting things called "jerk birds", which we can only assume was a term used for both swift bats and crows. These creatures would swarm you before you ever had a chance to realize it.

Pharknakes got stung by one of the bees during all of this, but its a good thing her beauty herbs were also medicinal.

In the northeast, the journeys of the expedition proved fruitful in locating new resources. Quite a lot of meat was here, but there was also a direct source of the poisonous and tough dark wood.

Two new things is the presence of Elven Wood (lower right), a highly lightweight and pretty wood. There's also a silver vein not too much farther away (upper right)!

Looking to bring back the news, the team clears out a wolf den along the way. It nets the team a little bit of usable food.

--------------
Turn 22
--------------

Traveling home through the mountains, our kind-hearted adventurers go to bury another corpse-

: Aw, son of a striga-

Despite being incorporeal, the adventurers don't have too much trouble dealing with these wraiths thanks to their expert teamwork.

: We have the numbers, they stand no chance!

...And spears.

It's a good thing too, because wraiths were known for being rather lethal enemies for inexperienced or unarmored warriors. Rather durable and deep cutting with their horrible clawed hands, they're the fear of every new soldier.

The only thing of value the spectres defended were was this club and a barely useful gathering basket. Likely enough, somebody already robbed their corpses and that's why they were angered.

--------------
Turn 23 - 26
--------------

The trip through the mountain is arduous, but not out of the question. Even with the large supply of food that our adventurers have found, the going is slow.

: ...Oi, trust me, you want to stay out of that kitchen.
: Sure. Thanks for the heads up. So, what are we working on?
: Oh, um... It's a silk shirt, but I was putting some gems in it... and uh...
: Gotcha, but why are we doing this all the way up in the watchtower?
: Trying to stay as far away from the kitchen as possible.

In time, they make it back to town and hand off all the supplies and loot they managed to scrounge up from their adventures so far.

Looking to get a little more spidersilk, An Anonymous Idiot trades places with Pharnakes to give the expedition a hand with gathering.

And so they pitch their tents, not too far away.

--------------
Turn 27
--------------

But soon, a familiar face arrives again.

+ 2 XP + 1 Science Progress

Theodore's map leads to somewhere not too far away, but it is already dusk. Our expedition sits trying to gather a bit more spidersilk for the town, while the town searches for new projects to work on.

The product of Drakenel and Pharnakes's work is this silk tunic, made with the Malachite gems Theodore gave us. Horos has blessed it with the power of increasing one's capabilities to crafting nearly as efficiently as just having average quality tools.

The production of Goatmurdered will be greatly boosted thanks to this, but tales of that will have to wait for now. I've got a craving for some lezco, and I've told more than enough for the day.

Next Time: Maybe A Notable Event Actually Happens For Once?

--------------------------------------------

We have another research point available, which means it's again time for some voting.

First vote is what do we do with our research point?

Of note:
We've already unlocked Spidersilk, the Watchtower, and the Smithy.

This has opened up access to Palisades, Barracks, Totem, and Blessed Tree Symbol.

We've also found sources of Silver, Elven Wood, and Dark Wood not too far away.

We haven't researched anything armor or weapon-wise yet, so don't be afraid to throw a vote that way.

Second vote is what shall the expedition do?

Shall they stick around and gather silk, go out and do a bit more adventuring and locating materials, or check out this location on the map that Theodore told us to go to?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Well, obviously I'm voting for the Totem. You'll thank me when my dark magics and my future army of witch children end up saving everyone.

For completely unrelated reasons I feel we should also work towards the Cabbage Patch as soon as we have more points.

As for the expedition folk, keep robbing local species of their delicious ingredients.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Pft, gathering's for suckers. Go murder everything for that sweet XP and loot.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
To loot or to gather is a decision that depends on difficulty. On higher difficulties, you get more opportunities to loot, for obvious reasons, and gathering income is reduced in a number of ways.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Get the Totem, because it really sucks to be stuck in magic events without any magic users.

As for the expedition, go adventuring. We really haven't found any of the super primo materials yet.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Agreed, we need to get up a totem for some magical heft and should keep looking for new materials

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Totemize me and hunt for silk.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Totemize me and hunt for silk.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Totem and Adventuring.

Unless we can cabbage patch now, 'cause more people is always good. More people means more hands to do things. I must have someone for me to pass on my tactics and ability to keep gaining HP so I can facetank stealth skills.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Totems first, Armour next, and let's go look for more materials / adventure

Also, Black Robe has my totally objective and politically neutral vote for Lady Mayoress.

No, I'm not the least bit hungry at all, why do you ask?

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Totems & Adventuring.

Research - either Silver or your favorite weapon.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

I'll go ahead and leave voting open for the rest of today as well, though it seems like the thread is very dedicated to making the Totem. I know there's a few people who got to the last one a bit late, and I've got a few other things I can work on presently.

If you still haven't voted, Research and our actions for the next couple turns are still rather spread out between adventuring and silk hunting.

I'll call it sometime tomorrow morning. Given another 20 turns or so, the game will probably start taking its gloves off and going at us for real, so what we do now is important.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

I will have to put my vote to Healing hut (or whatever its called i haven't played thea in a while so can't remember everything). Getting medics and having a place to heal toxic and get herbs all at the same time is really really really turbo good. This is a game of chance as well so if you get the bad stuff early on your campaign will sink. Like, think wiping a party due to toxic snakes bad.

for my next option i go with everyone else with adventuring as you can get really good stuff with the ruins.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
This game looks good. If nothing else, I like the atmosphere of it. We're told a tale of darkness having a strong grip, but the game feels more foreboding than oppressive and I prefer it that way.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Thea is a game where I'm largely terrible at, which makes me sad because I really do like it. Watching this avidly.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
Totem is good, but feels a bit early to me. Although, I guess it depends what all we've managed to sock away from treasure hunting?

If voting is still open, I'd throw in for taking Monster Bone

I'll also vote to collect spidersilk and make armor.

Happy to see Thea getting played here. Such a solid little game, although inventory management can get a bit fiddly.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Zengetsu posted:

Totem is good, but feels a bit early to me. Although, I guess it depends what all we've managed to sock away from treasure hunting?

If voting is still open, I'd throw in for taking Monster Bone

I'll also vote to collect spidersilk and make armor.

Happy to see Thea getting played here. Such a solid little game, although inventory management can get a bit fiddly.

You're actually just in time!

Looks like adventuring won out over staying nearby, and by all means we seem to be making the Totem. Armor however got enough votes to be the second choice. After that, it's a tie between a weapon type, silver, monster bone, the Cabbage Patch, or the Herbalist's Hut. If I get enough science points, I'll probably defer to the weapons first, then materials, then the buildings last based on our present choices.

I'll get to screenshotting the next update now, but how long it takes depends on how much that happens.

Also, regarding inventories, I've actually had the game lag dramatically thanks to an overstuffed town inventory. That's what you get for not recycling anything for about 300 turns, I guess.

Keldulas posted:

Thea is a game where I'm largely terrible at, which makes me sad because I really do like it. Watching this avidly.

The big thing to Thea aside from learning to play the card games really well (I still make mistakes), is gauging enemy difficulty compared to your own characters. Well, that and knowing the best way through each event. Knowledge of the game really helps in general, but it's less fun that way.

Crystalgate posted:

This game looks good. If nothing else, I like the atmosphere of it. We're told a tale of darkness having a strong grip, but the game feels more foreboding than oppressive and I prefer it that way.

Crystalgate posted:

It nails the atmosphere really well. A lot of the music tracks have a great forlorn sound to them. I'll see if I can put some tracks up at some point.

The official soundtrack is here, just in case anyone wanted to check it out ahead of time.

There will be a sense of oppression later, right now it's trying to give away a false sense of security.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I've played both Thea games, and I have to say, the first one's music is far more memorable. There's good bits in 2, but the stuff from 1 just instantly evokes a reaction from me.

e: Fires of Ivanje is probably my favorite on the list

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

I'll put this here without explanation:

:getin:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Already!?

Ahahahahaha, this is going to be glorious. :allears:

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

my dad posted:

Already!?

Ahahahahaha, this is going to be glorious. :allears:

I don't know what you're on about, I'm sure. Obviously, the only thing going on is that my old axe got handed down to one of the villagers. :colbert:

Always the same with the little boys, isn't it? They spot a particular girl and can't keep to themselves any longer. Tsk.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh man, an elf already? drat, elves are loving great. Pretty much breaks the game in half if you get too many of them.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So I'm super hardcore I guess?

I own the game but haven't played much.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So I'm super hardcore I guess?

I own the game but haven't played much.

Basically.

You also have 7 magic, while another one of our characters developed Sixth Sense, so we're fully set to take Hex challenges up to possibly 3 skull by turn 40. It's highly unusual to have this much magic or an elf this early.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I just missed out on the vote but I'm not disappointed in where this is going.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

The Flying Twybil posted:

The big thing to Thea aside from learning to play the card games really well (I still make mistakes), is gauging enemy difficulty compared to your own characters. Well, that and knowing the best way through each event. Knowledge of the game really helps in general, but it's less fun that way.

I'm actually really good at the card game aspect, the part I'm terrible at is preparation, tech tree, and such. The number of details you can mess with at any given moment means I sort of get brain-locked and make very suboptimal decisions as a result.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I just missed out on the vote but I'm not disappointed in where this is going.

Keeping the votes open for about 48 hrs is the plan right now. There's a lot of folks voting, but it's a rather steady stream throughout the day, so I'm trying to make sure I give everyone enough time to make their votes.

Also, yes, we're going places. Fun places.

Keldulas posted:

I'm actually really good at the card game aspect, the part I'm terrible at is preparation, tech tree, and such. The number of details you can mess with at any given moment means I sort of get brain-locked and make very suboptimal decisions as a result.

The card game is what tripped me up a lot at first, and I ended up with a lot more wounded units than I really should've. I have a pretty decent background in playing Civ and other heavily detail oriented games, so the planning part is what I've always been good at.

There's a couple tips I can give:
- Don't wait around too much, but don't be afraid to if it's needed. You've got a lot of time before things get really bad, and some of the early game is spend doing lots of prep work.

- With the tech tree, I always lean towards filling in my weakest links as soon as possible. For a Warrior start, it sometimes helps to rush the Manger for boosted skills on new gatherers. For crafter and gatherer starts, I'd suggest rushing the Barracks instead, so any children come out as very capable fighters. I usually consider the Barracks a must have regardless, as those points can let new kids catch up very quickly.

- It's also very worth it to invest in a cheaper weapon type early if you can. Milling out piles of 1h swords, shields, spears, or light armor won't hurt you in the long run as that stuff can be passed down to weaker villagers.

- Don't underestimate bows/crossbows. They seem kind of wimpy, but they really shine in hunting challenges where you can flood damage on singular units without needing really any gathering skill. When a 5 skull spider nest/ hive appears close to town, you'll be thankful you don't actually have to fight those things.

- The entire line of Wood-type resources are very nice and Dark Wood can last you easily until the mid-game with it's high shielding and poison. Ancient Wood when used for a 2h sword makes Bugay's Revenge, a sword with absolutely ridiculous poison damage and low weight.

- Jewelry is surprisingly great for granting uncommon skills and building up attack stats. Pure Dark Wood necklaces give 4 Feint, which is the speech version of poison- stacking two of those puts a unit at 8 Feint, and makes them very capable social units. Pure Enchanted Bone necklaces grant 4 Sixth Sense and can be similarly stacked to blow Hex challenges out of the water. Also note that jewelry has much better bonuses to the overall product when used as a secondary material in Jewelry/Artifacts.

Hopefully some of that is useful for you. It's some of the stuff I've picked up on my more extended playthroughs.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 5: A Tale of Magics, Monarchs, and Motivations (Turn 27 - 38)

------------
Turn 27
------------

Ah, is it time to re-spin the tale of Goatmurdered again?

We shall pick up not long after we stopped last time.

While deciding what to do during the night, Idiot traded places with Pharnakes in order to help hunt some silk.

In the meantime, the two head crafters, Drakenel and Black Robe discussed new buildings. Through a vote held in ancient goonic tradition, a Totem was the next choice.

Though, it was worth mentioning there were a lot of growling stomachs in the crowd...

------------
Turn 28
------------

Ah, the Dziody, a festival celebrated since even before the darkness. The knowledge of this mythical city's whereabouts could prove useful for our people.

Though, much like the Herbalist, the elder's of Dziody seek proof if you desire their help- one must have the inner strength to overcome a curse, they can only grant you the means by which you must do it.

Though the meeting may have been brief, their knowledge perhaps rubbed off on everyone that night. Each person remarked in their thoughts becoming more clear, and as if they learned something.

Anonymous, thanks to this excursion learned much more about the art of gathering itself. Fat Samurai took time out to talk instead of train as she always had, and was the better for it.

Even Shei-kun, adamant defender of the expedition, discovered something new that night. For you see, her desire to protect was stronger than any other's, and the source of that was a Sixth Sense she didn't know she had.

Meanwhile, the arguments discussions back in town between young Drakenel and the Iron Chef, Witch of the Kitch, Black Robe remained a tie as they both honed their rhetoric.

Yet, they decided in the end they could not stay in place for too long. Shei-kun feared danger could arrive from any direction, and the crafters of the town needed more materials and knowledge than just spidersilk for the time being.

Pharnakes returned to her position on the team, trading back with Anonymous as result of this decision.

Upon leaving the town, the adventurers took care of those pesky snakes too. Their scales would make fine armor, and thus they opted to save them until designs for those had been drawn up.

------------
Turn 29
------------

As darkness fell, more things crept out of the darkness to meet our brave adventurers.

: What a horrible night to have a curse...
: Oi? A curse? You done lost it on me, old man?
: Huh? It's just a saying-
: Hey, there's some humanoid stuck in that trap!
: They must be rescued!

Alas, for our adventurers, they couldn't stand up to every test Thea had to offer yet.

: :(
*Pats Shei on back*
: One less life in Thea, I suppose...

A saddening thing, it was. Goblins may not be most sophisticated of creatures, but they are creatures of Horos. A life is a life, when there's so few left in the world.

Yet, there was no time for grief- the twisted vermin of the Darkness waits for no soul.

Reassuringly, they hadn't seemed to be too tough so far, and a the rat nest led them to some quilted cloth armor still in decent shape.

------------
Turn 30
------------

As the town's machinations continue, the adventurers continued their trek into the dark.

Another fallen traveler, another grave dug.

And with it, more twisted beings of the darkness come.

This time, a new threat, one from the old world's tales: the Striga. Bloodsucking creatures, they oft disguise themselves as a far more attractive being with their occult magics.

These Striga were blood-crazed from not feeding for too long- it makes them less clever, but no less dangerous.

Our adventurers' strength lies not in physical power, however, but in their teamwork and tactics. These creatures were no match for them and their spears.

Ah, and what treasure these fiends carried! Leather armor, another Dark Wood Thorn, even more wooden effigies to hone our instincts.

Better in our hands than theirs.

------------
Turn 31
------------

It was at the moment the final blow of that battle was delivered, it became an new day upon the calendar, and thus so happened Vodkahead's date of birth come to pass. He had easily proved himself no longer a child and thus worthy a title in Olde Goonic.

A rough looking man was he, though t'was to be expected of the cousin of Old Grey Guy. Little did some realize at the time, but Old Grey guy was but twenty-one, and Vodkahead nineteen.

Yet, most people don't realize that Pharnakes was likely over 40 years in age given her youthful looks. Her herbs contributed to that, yes, but 'twas possible she had a bit of Rusalka in her veins.

------------
Turn 32
------------

Where was I? Ah, yes, how Vodkahead proved his maturity and became a gatherer. He had been in watchtower when he spotted a small light, a torch in the distance- and saw it fall.

He ran to the location with swiftness abound and brought back as sight many had never expected to see:

An elf, creature of Veles and long assumed to have died with the Cosmic Tree.

She had fallen, and Vodkahead hauled her back to town. Life in Thea alone was difficult and it was apparent she had not fared well. She mumbled words that waxed philosophy, and the meanings of life.

: She's in a trance of some kind- that sallow face! She must be starving! Quickly!
: But...but what does one life matter? What is one life worth?!
: *Splashes water in face* This'll wake her up.
: ...!
: *Hands plate of food* A life? It's worth more than 10 pieces of meat, that's for sure.

And thus, The Great Evil King was saved from trolleys starvation. Once recovered, she explained her origins: she was once a druid, a high tier leader of an elven city, Silveroak. She was referred to as their monarch in some times, but it all vanished with the loss of the Cosmic Tree.

: ...I owe you my thanks. The tides of darkness sought to overcome me, and I fear I was about to lose. I see your names are of the Ancient Goonic tongue, how peculiar it is to think anyone would still speak it.
: It is our heritage, forgetting that would mean forgetting ourselves. The Tree may be gone, but we're not. We can't let ourselves fade away either.
: Wise words indeed, I shall stay with you people- that is, if you'll have me. I am no good at domestic pursuits though I still have a connection to the ancient ley lines. I believe that totem you're constructing is what brought me here- a new ley line connection.
: (...So the old magic still lives, indeed...) Regardless, we're willing to take you.
: Yeah, but what are we going to call ya?
: He's right, ain't none of us speak Elven.
: That is fine. My name in the Ancient Goonic tongue would be "The Great Evil King".

'Twas true Evil King possessed no skills for surviving in the wilds- there is little question as to why she was starving. Though, it is apparent she survived purely by merit of her combat abilities.

Elves are known for having an unnatural swiftness- the technique our people use with spears to cut off foes are derived from theirs. Thus, every attack an Elf makes counts as a piercing strike regardless if they use a spear or not.

After a brief discussion, it was decided she would join the expedition. She knew little of life at home, and her skills were far better suited to that of staving off the vicious pawns of the dark.

--------------
Turn 33 - 34
--------------

After that rather exciting turn of events, the expedition coincidentally made the decision to return home. The west held little materials worth caring about presently.

--------------
Turn 35
--------------

More creatures were hunted down, while the people of Goatmurdered became more experienced in their new world.

Hardiness and knowledge of the wilderness was the theme for the expedition that day.

While back at town, it was all about willpower. Black Robe, on the other hand, was making sure to hide her designs and theories- young Drakenel was a bit too smart for her own good, and the arrival of Evil King informed her that her theories could be more than just that...

--------------
Turn 36- 38
--------------

In the distance, Old Grey Guy managed to spot a building worth checking out. It was visible thanks only to the glint it's roof made at precisely this time of the day. Rather fortunate happenstance, actually.

During this time, the finishing touches on the Totem were made. Black Robe theories had come to bear fruit and the former druid, Evil King felt another ley line be fully formed in the world's ether. It was a weak, spindly line, but it was healthy compared to the rest that still existed.

With this, Black Robe could now make good use of her knowledge and train children to become what she had wanted- a true witch. No bloodline to a hag, Rusalka, or Striga was necessary anymore, just time.

New comrade in tow, the expedition set out towards the spot marked on Theodore's map. The Cosmic Tree was a mystery worth investigating, and by all means they were already headed that way in search of monsters and materials.

All the while, Drakenel wasn't blind to what Black Robe was doing. There was... merit, to the idea that the magic of the old world would bring prosperity back to their people, but it was rather wishful thinking.

No, Drakenel was no longer the young, sheepish girl she had been. After hearing the tales of the expedition and the dark look in Black Robe's eyes, she had grown willful and realistic. She knew the folk tales that had been passed down, and taming the magic of Thea was a task filled with uncertainties.

What they needed out there was armor, not some incorporeal power. By all means, it might do away with the Striga's illusions, it might collapse the undead, but there was nothing to protect the body.

The elf that had come- she had magic, sure, but it was her combat prowess that kept her alive. The people needed training, weapons, and armor if they ever expected to live. Not rituals of occult carvings and banishment chimes.

The only sure thing in these coming days is that they would be very interesting. For now, the storyteller's spinning wheel must stop- the present calls and we cannot spend every hour recanting our past, as entertaining as it might be.

Until next time, dear listeners.

---------

Things have changed for the folk of Goatmurdered, and though they follow Theodore's map for now, the future of the town remains uncertain.

What should our next research developments be?

We recently unlocked access to Shields, Medium Armor, and Heavy Armor, but some have expressed interest in new weapons, a Cabbage Patch, or even an Herbalist's hut. What of Monster Bone, or that Silver vein to the northeast?

There are 3 more children left and no particular request for classes, so...If a child does grow up, should they be:
A. A Warrior
B. A Gatherer
C. A Crafter
D. A Witch
E. If they have a special talent, then go with it

After following Theodore's map, where do we go? Do we:
1. Continue to follow any leads regarding the Cosmic Tree.
2. Explore due north of the town, the only direction we haven't gone in.
3. Head back to the east and see if there's more valuable things there.
4. Try the west again, and hope there's actually something valuable a bit further away.

Lastly, our expedition has been together for quite a while, and though it's still subject to change, I believe it has earned a name. What do we call our expedition team now?

It currently consists of 2 Warriors (Fat Samurai, Shei-Kun), 1 Ranger (Oggy), 2 Crafters (Rocket Baby, Samovar), and 1 Elf (Evil King).

Get to votin', fellow citizens. I'll leave this open for 2 days as I know not all of our readers are checking every day.

In the meantime, it's back to being an interplanetary diplomat for me.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 11, 2020

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
For the children: E unless nothing stands out in which case D.

Herbalist's Hut and then Cabbage Patch; get the people set up and gaining exp, survive on loot until ready to crank out arms & armor.

Try exploring North.

I have played a little ways into this game, but never recruited a non-human. Very intriguing.

- - -

Regarding the word "recant": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTRKCXC0JFg

It looks like it should be "re-sing" or "retell" and the latin is "re-sing". However, the English meaning is: "to withdraw or repudiate (a statement or belief) formally and publicly" and is synonymous with "renounce".

I knew what you meant, but it was jarring/hilarious when used.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

: But...but what does one life matter? What is one life worth?!

I laughed at this, then I lost my poo poo laughing with the references to trolleys and Tides of darkness.

Next kid should be a Witch unless they have a talent, then go with that, go North, and and call the expedition team The Trolley Passengers.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
For the kid, definitely go E then D. Also, if there’s any room in there, feel free to put my name into the queue for characters.

Research-wise, I say go for the Cabbage Patch and whatever resources will make the best one.

And for the explorers, I think heading north to get a better idea of what resources are available nearby might be for the best, before moving onto other tasks.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Kacie posted:

I have played a little ways into this game, but never recruited a non-human. Very intriguing.

- - -

Regarding the word "recant": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTRKCXC0JFg

It looks like it should be "re-sing" or "retell" and the latin is "re-sing". However, the English meaning is: "to withdraw or repudiate (a statement or belief) formally and publicly" and is synonymous with "renounce".

I knew what you meant, but it was jarring/hilarious when used.

Just to note, most non-human races are rather very powerful. A late game Elven Wanderer can hit for 60 damage piercing attacks, and that's not mentioning what a few others can do.

Regarding "recant", I actually knew the renounce definition, I had actually thought the incorrect meaning was also correct thanks to it being misused so often. Yay, English!

I'll fix that, and thanks for telling me.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I laughed at this, then I lost my poo poo laughing with the references to trolleys and Tides of darkness.

Hey, the game basically gave it to me. "Save a person for 10 food? Rob 'em? Tell 'em to go away?"

This event (and the goblin one) comes from the extra pack, and unless we just got really lucky, this is kind of broken. Elf Druids aren't the best physically, but their magic more than makes up for it this early. All we really need is to get you a few points of strength and some good armor. When it comes to elves, the only choices worth considering are greataxes or a sword and shield combo. Greataxes are the only viable choice long term, though, because one-handed weapon damage really starts to fall off.

Oh, and the goblin? I've tried saving him four times now. I've only reloaded a save so far just for that, and this all happened when I finally said "gently caress it, we can't make this yet".

Meinberg posted:

Also, if there’s any room in there, feel free to put my name into the queue for characters.

Research-wise, I say go for the Cabbage Patch and whatever resources will make the best one.

Don't worry, we've got plenty of room for more names. Delilah's the only one on the list right now if my checking for these requests is correct.

For a better cabbage patch, we'd do best to do either a stone type or a wood type. Both are about equal in capability.

Edit: And if anyone has a particular thing LP story-wise you'd want your character to do, I can try my best to write it. Presently, I'm just going with whatever flow I've got going.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 11, 2020

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I rather like how you're handling my warrior so far, and I'm really liking the themes for the skills & such she's getting from levels.

As for children, I say E, otherwise D for now. Exploration-wise, I say we go North. For our name, we're the first team, and thus the best team, so we should go with The A-Team.

As for tech/buildings, I'm gonna say Cabbage Patch and Herbalist's Hut, then whatever seems to be the most immediately beneficial from then.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Witch. Children. :colbert:

On a less in-character note, going with special talents if they show up makes more sense. Everyone's characters are really going places, I'm enjoying this a lot. Trying to think of something to name the expedition but I haven't had coffee yet.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I'm voting D, who doesn't want to give birth to a witch?

2. We may as well finish scouting the surrounding area before we head further out.

As for a name... hmm... Goatmurderers.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Sometimes the game really does break in your favor. I had a run of ten or so turns where 3 kids grew up in a row through various means. All three were witches. No magic challenge stood a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Let's research a (stone) Cabbage Patch, then Monster Bone, then Silver

Children: E, go with talent, else D / one witch and one more warrior A

Let's explore our surroundings first, then north, then east, and then gradually make for the Cosmic Tree without rushing things.

I'll offer two names for our away team, either Escape from the Kitchen or Goats on the Run

Edit: And if anyone has a particular thing LP story-wise you'd want your character to do, I can try my best to write it. Presently, I'm just going with whatever flow I've got going.

I'm enjoying your narration, just keep it up. :cheers: