Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
In!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I didn't make Kloaked's list I'm sad

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I'm lost without Ecco here to betray anyone

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

OFFICER LIGER posted:

they fired a ref that had been there since the 80s

And Kurt Angle's neck

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Tom Tucker posted:

Back in the day I remember people checking the users lists just to see if someone was browsing. You could get in trouble for leaving the window open on your computer while you took worked.

I think I got caught as scum being on browsing once when I said I was sleeping.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Sandwolf posted:

errr, you sure seemed to have made a judgment call on Liger being townie?

A judgement call feeling good about someone is way different than casing someone for being scummy early on when there's nothing and willfully/ignorantly pointing people in directions you don't really believe if you're town yourself. Actually happy he didn't fake a case to appease a question you posed

Might do my defensive root em out town playstyle again this game but drat sure not calling anybody scummy until I actually ~feel it~

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I feel okay about Andy, has similar thought processes as me atm.

What do you disagree with?

I agree in essence. You can easily catch scum D1 but on the whole it's a lot of posturing and confusion until people start to flip and you can see who is earnestly defending another person or potentially bussing or trying to look good. In the moment D1 is usually just chaos and uncertainty, but I'm sure some of us have our methods for weeding a lot of that out and not just writing off D1 as only a crapshoot. Maybe the wording of "only good" is a bit strong from Andy but if we're comparing it to later days where we have more information to work off of, obviously I agree.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

zzyzx posted:

You guys just don't believe in yourselves enough.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Once again finding it hard to case without being accused first. Give me something to sink my teeth into. I promise I will teach you guys how to D1 scum lunch.

Some small reads: merk's post suck D1 for being merk but I can't really talk since I'm just getting started too--just seems low effort until things pick up. Not leaning strongly either way at the moment. I can never read Kash but his posts are not popping out at me, Andy is throwing out some very old school "D1 sucks" argument stuff but I agree in essence with what he's saying (as well as what Jen X is saying too), a few of those EP posts I don't like and would consider that the best case at the moment but until they reply, I don't want to read too much into it. Everybody seems okay to me right now with slightly townie or slightly scummy readings at best/worst.

##vote yuming for early lurking and ending every post so cheery that it's always impossible to tell if they're scum when every post reads like Mr. Rogers. :sun:

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Also LIGER is John Cena? ASAP is Diqnol? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

xopods posted:

Impossible to tell? Yuming is the easiest person in the world to spot as Scum once she starts posting.

Which does make it a little bit suspicious that she hasn't done so yet, but it's also less than 24 hours into D1 despite the absurd number of posts.

You know, I've heard yuming say that too but I've played five games in the last 3-4 years, so I don't really remember poo poo. I think I have more experience modding with yuming and she always seems so nice even when casing others that I know I would and have/had trouble voting her even if she does have self admittedly predictable scum tells. It's way easier to vote when people are being dicks.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
KK/Amni are pinging me for some reason, a lot of it gut.

Khris Kruel posted:

Amnistar, you are now doubling down on your vote for capn andy. That's nice and all, but who else acting around you do you suspect?

One of the basic goals of scum is to get town to attack each other, and then push that lynch while making you the fall guy. If you're town, who would you suspect doing this?

Khris Kruel posted:

for the record, capnandy and amnistar are reading town to me. Looks like your normal day 1 egos clashing.

This seems sort of inauthentic? Plastic-y? The question being posed by KK to Amni seems sort of like a softball scumbros interaction rather than genuine curiosity followed by a clearing of Amni as town with CapnAndy.

I also disagreed with a lot of what Amni said about CapnAndy so it might be a bit of a biased POV and I can see how someone can read this and not see anything at all, but something feels off to me.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
##unvote
##vote KK

Sandwolf posted:

Kloaked seems alright to me, DBD is acting differently IMO than the last time they were town (didn’t love the post of someone saying DBD is like that because I honestly disagree).

You think so? The only difference is nobody has made a bad case out of thin air or engaged me head on, otherwise it's easy to play my super defensive style. It'll come eventually, not going to force it. Also the person I had a sure read of in the last game D1 happened to be scum and the one I feel the worst about is the vote leader at the moment, so that does parallel, but I would like KK to reply to literally anything before feeling sure about it.

I would also vote Amni but KK is tops for me.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Tom Tucker posted:

KK: I can see the original “nothing to see here / this screams scum” duality. Honestly I don’t know – I’m kind of 50/50 on KK. I’d be really curious to hear his response, but honestly him not being around to defend himself feels like a point in his favor. I haven’t seen any major bandwagons forming away from him in the time being, just scattered cases and votes. Again that’s a very very soft town-tell, though.

Curious about this. Is being busy/lurking/anxious to reply (whatever the reason being of not posting) a town tell? :question:

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Tom Tucker posted:

I mean I can kind of see this, it's one of the things I don't like that Liger did - he threw some passive attention at Capn Andy right as he was gaining votes without actually saying he was scummy or accusing him. In this case I'm pushing my favored candidate but also addressing the conversations of the day. The more everyone goes on record on various topics the better for everyone.

Can you answer the question I posed to you in my last post? Still curious.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

zzyzx posted:

What's the "amni bus" in reference to?

Might be my initial post on KK where I said he looked like he was manufacturing questions for Amni to answer/weird scumbros interaction between them.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Tom Tucker posted:

In only the vaguest sense that I find people who come out of the woodwork when they get accused or voted to be suspicious for two possible reasons: either they are lurking in the thread and not posting (scummy) or they have communications avenues with other people (part of a scum team) who then AIM / SA PM them saying "dude you're getting bandwagoned".

I get what you're saying, but I have also been on scum teams where someone is absolutely getting railroaded/heat is headed their way and they don't really answer the calls/warnings/pleadings of their scumbuddies, so all of that stuff could still be very well happening in theory.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Epsilon Plus posted:

(none of us are good at mafia, no living human being is good at mafia)

Speak for yourself :viggo:

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Amnistar posted:

...did you get a name change or something?

Diqnol

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Scientastic posted:

My opinion remains the same: the initial cases against KK were bad, the logic flawed and the reasoning suspect.

Xopods more than anyone made a weak case, then acted like it was cast iron, and tried to simultaneously claim he was responsible and abrogate responsibility.

KK’s overall reaction to the bandwagon was townie, that’s how I would have reacted in the face of a stupid execution.

A lot of lazy players in this game, scum will win if everyone just says “me too!” to the most vocal players.

KK hasn't even been flipped yet and you're speaking as if he's going to flip town. Would you be willing to take back this entire post and be incredulous if KK flips scum because a lot of people agreed on a D1 case you deemed "weak"? Me and xopods saw the same thing at the same time. Would this post still make sense in the context of KK potentially flipping scum? I think the answer is no. Also your judgment and reaction to his reaction isn't something everybody feels the same on. I feel like his posts before being accused were more carefully constructed and overly-cautious/plasticty feeling compared to the Khris Kruel I remember, which came out when he was having a bunch of votes hurled at him.

You also called KK scum with xopods not too far back. What do you even actually think?

Scientastic posted:

Right, I am placing my marker down now: KK is scum, xopods is bussing him here.

##Vote KK

You're either scum slipping or are 100% sure in your read that he will be town suddenly to even make that post. I mean, everybody who voted him felt the same way about KK's posts. I don't think any case is going to be solid as steel on D1, including your casing on EP which was accusing him of stirring the pot. A lot of people felt KK had forced interactions and his tone felt odd, at least to me.

Scientastic posted:

I don’t think my opinion would have changed the result, it’s been a pretty clear lazy bandwagon for a while, but it’s bad to end the day early. It deprives town of information.

Also, I liked KK’s reaction to the bandwagon, and I also like it when people are a bit dickish, is mafia changed so much that we’re no longer allowed to accuse each other of being bad at it?

Calling people bad as your main defense is a bad-scummy move, not interjecting it while having a solid defense or casing other people.

Sci might be scum independent of the flip, ya'll.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Scientastic posted:

I completely disagree, if the KK execution was going to happen anyway (which seemed likely, given the massive bandwagon), we could have had every player give their opinion on why they were/weren’t voting for him, who else they thought was scummy and why etc.

KK had control of that as well. If he wasn't vague/combative/non-responsive about his claiming while -2 and only responding to Tom Tucker's plea and STILL not being all the way truthful about his role, then you can't really expect everybody else to feel good about letting the thread stay open another day, regardless of alignments or intentions of people on the vote. It is what it is.

It doesn't matter if you, him, God thinks the case is stupid--if you're going to be voted out with another vote or two, actually being helpful and concise with some reads instead of combative and vague will get you nowhere but voted out. If he did claim right away and the reads made sense, I don't think we'd be arguing about it being the end of D1 already.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Scientastic posted:

I’m not sure how you can possibly think this is a sensible thing to say

I mean, this is a nitpicking quote but sure, it was a bit too rosy sounding.

I'll revise it: Every well-meaning town with good intentions of finding scum who voted for KK felt an oddness about his posts and didn't like it, thus he was voted out. I obviously don't know the exact gut pings that makes someone tick, but those who genuinely believe in their votes found something really weird about KK.

Of course this doesn't apply if there are scum on the bandwagon or the odd lazy 3P/town who didn't read anything and just want to jump on the first juicy thing.

You still didn't answer my questions:

1. Will you still back up that post you made 100% if KK flips scum?

2. What do you think KK is? Earlier you said KK-xopods scum, then xopods scum-KK ???, all the way to sounding like you know he's going to flip town.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I can't continue the back and forth because I need to sleep but I'll see you fine folks D2. Maybe??

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Both the people I thought were scum have already flipped town so I have to re-think the entire game. Will post more thoughts after a shower.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I'm struggling with my take on xopods because we have had the exact same reads (KK, Scientastic, Amni? Might be wrong about him suspecting Amni) but we've played completely different games as he's been more at the forefront and sunk his teeth hard into KK while mine was self admittedly a deep gut thing but it felt right to me. Tom Tucker's case on him is interesting because it goes beyond "xopods was wrong" (which isn't a scumtell and would be a bad case if that was the foundation) and lays out some pretty damning stuff with responsibility/waffling inconsistencies. I'll form more tangible thoughts later on about xopods but I don't want to stick a vote on him because I don't believe in it enough yet. Still very much null but that is considerable because I found him extremely townie D1 since we read the game the same way.

Forgive me if I skipped over this because I woke up to like 170+ posts, but has anyone discussed why Scientastic and JenX were targeted? From a scum PoV I would've kept them alive since they were both lightning rods of discussion and both had a few people suspicious of them, unless they were suspected to be power roles which neither really gave any hints that I could tell. Also both of the death kills were the same flavor. 2 kills from one team? Two different scum teams with the same flavor? Is there a consensus on that yet?

Anyway, still don't feel great about Amni. I've just been on the opposite thought processes of him the entire game, while literally inside the mind of xopods who has a really good case on him by TT.

I don't feel great about Leith either. He did the classic "safe thoughts on 10 players" big post that I swear I must've insta-voted every game back in the day and caught scum in like 60-70% of those because it's an easy way to get opinions out without really committing to much, and it also lets you safely bus someone in a "bigger" post without being forced to continue anything further through an actual back and forth.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Mr. Humalong posted:

I always get bad vibes from people who come in after some town flips and express that all their reads have been turned on their head and they need time to start all over.

##vote Mr. Humalong

Oh god don't do this Hum because it's going to make me latch onto you again and internally I don't want to do that because I like you as a mafia player, but you might have the worst scum tells.

The last time you made a vague, snipey comment after being extremely light on content you flipped scum. You just did the same exact thing here. I would love to be named or given something to respond to instead of things like "these shrug votes are worrisome!", "these bad vibes from people who do this are bad!", like, why do you keep making those posts if you don't call people out directly and sort of weave in and out of half-baked criticism?

You haven't formed a single substantial opinion or thought aside from your KK vote besides some small things on a Leith post calling it a "good effort"/calling Dex "Bif".

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Kashuno posted:

the more hum posts the more I feel like they are definitely town

He's posting the same exact way in the game you were just in where he flipped scum what kind of read is this?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
1. Start off light on suspicion/content/getting hands dirty.
2. Make gripe about something without being specific on who it is until they reply
3. Reply with "lol" or "calm down nerd"
4. Flip scum

I'm willing to give Hum the benefit of the doubt but it's literally almost the same.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Epsilon Plus posted:

(in a broad sense of speaking)

(speaking, of course, broadly)

(allgemein gesprochen)

Broadly speaking

Kashuno posted:

nah he was a lot more meltdown that game

Give it time!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I wouldn't really call the first person to vote/one of the first people to suspect KK to be a "bandwagoner".

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I don't really like Jose's posts either on re-read, especially the last few.

Jose
Amni
Hum
Leith

All would be fine lunches to me.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Epsilon Plus posted:

You mentioned Jose, and you've had opinions of Amnistar and Hum previously - why Leith?

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I don't feel great about Leith either. He did the classic "safe thoughts on 10 players" big post that I swear I must've insta-voted every game back in the day and caught scum in like 60-70% of those because it's an easy way to get opinions out without really committing to much, and it also lets you safely bus someone in a "bigger" post without being forced to continue anything further through an actual back and forth.

A lot of posters are sort of in this muddled area of coming in, adding a few opinions without stepping on toes, jumping out. It's why I'm having trouble justifying a vote on xopods because he is SO out there and present and we have similar reads. I would vote him to prevent a no lynch situation and if he flipped scum wouldn't be 100% shocked, but for someone having literally the same reads as me and knowing I'm town, it's not something I actively find myself gravitating to even though I think Tom Tucker's case more than anybody else made a lot of sense.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Token Female posted:

Eccoraven will be replacing ASAPRockysituation

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
##unvote Hum I like his posts since my vote but still KEEPING MY EYE ON HIM

Jose is throwing some content out the last few posts but it still bothers me his first ~actual~ vote in this game was yesterday and self admittedly was "working harder to be better on D2" -- if you're a notoriously slow starter that doesn't like D1s and are still winding up D2, is there some sort of payoff later on down the road? Or are you just scum that is willing to sort of let town or other scum do the heavy lifting and be inoffensive?

Your first real vote and case was on xopods who already was cased and suspected heavily by Tom Tucker/others, that's hardly an offensive vote.. stepping on toes that have already been crushed by other people if you will.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

EccoRaven posted:

hey DBD vote for xopods, he has the most votes therefore he's probably scum

That didn't work for KK!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Jose Valasquez posted:

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

kingcobweb posted:

Just did a reread of Deadbeat Dad's posts

Feels scum to me. This is basically the only reasoning they gave for voting KK:[

"It was gut" is the sort of thing that's difficult to interrogate, and easy to go "I was wrong" if they flip town.

I was literally the first person to suspect KK and it was D1, what else am I going on besides gut? I really hate the narrative of D1 cases needing to be more than getting your suspicions out there and voting for it, no matter if it's gut or not. That's what I did. I also didn't vote him right away because I wasn't only going to follow my gut since there were other people like Amni who I didn't feel great on either. What swayed people the most is me and xopods independently finding the same person scummy for sort of similar reasons and then xopods really hammering in how scummy KK posted, which I agreed with. It all seemed performative/fake from the KK we usually see which came out later on during the day.

And the "I was wrong" thing is so silly. Every person who voted them was wrong. I gave my opinion on him early so it wasn't some sort of bandwagon poo poo either.

kingcobweb posted:

Then, the way he's pressuring Jose doesn't seem genuine, because it's pretty obvious to me it's just over a ~posting style~ and will just lead down a rabbit hole of competing Mafia playstyles and ideas about how day one should/does go versus other days. It doesn't make sense to me that he'd be suspicious of Jose after he starts contributing rather than when he was barely posting at all!

I'm keeping my vote on xopods, but I'm pretty tempted to shift. Feels like classic "blending into the background" scum play.

Is being a slow starter a "posting style"? I guess it could be. Admittedly, I don't remember games that happened 10 years ago so I can readily admit that it's completely probable I just find Jose's style inherently scummy, or I think that he's a good enough veteran player to post the same way regardless of town or scum. I have him on a list of people I find scummy so it's not like I'm trying to tunnel him, he's just being the most active recently so I'm throwing some thoughts down on him.

It's also a little frustrating that when I made a connection to Humalong flipping scum in a very recent game (like, in the last week) doing the same thing this game Kash says "that's just his style" and when I find Jose's posting sus it's another "that's his style" thing. The one positive Jose has going for him is that his style that I didn't like last time was a game he flipped town compared to Huma who flipped scum.

kingcobweb posted:

Want to call out this specific paragraph as incredibly scummy. Analyzing targeting "from a scum PoV" is an awful place to try to lead town discussion; scum kills are often either semi-random or just made to sow confusion, which DBD is walking into.

kingcobweb posted:

If scum have been given fakeclaims, I don't see any reason that anyone should claim because of lynch pressure. Either they're town, and we give the scum free information, or they're scum, and the town learns nothing because the scum have been given fakeclaims by the mod.

So your strategy as town this game is to have town never claim even if they're about to get lynched and also not analyze or discuss any sort of kills? I don't know about you but I'm completely uninformed about most poo poo in this game so I would absolutely love people to claim if it can save a town lynch and also discuss kills/targets because that's part of mafia. I absolutely am wondering why both kills had the same flavor and why certain targets were picked, but it doesn't mean that will influence any voting decision. Sometimes it may influence it, sometimes not.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Sandwolf posted:

So zzyzx first:

Their posting feels very reserved, very measured, and very safe. This is scum hanging out and hitting that sweet spot of talking and giving reads while never really doing any scumhunting.

Statements like this are very artificial and lazy, not saying anything, even more hollow than a mechanics argument but still appearing present

these posts come at EOD:

separated by an hour and a half. If you're looking for the scummy KK votes, here's a very scummy one. Distancing and then voting to ensure the lunch.

Then this post today:

because the part that really does it for me is he said he would look at Amni and xopods if KK flipped scum. KK flipped town. But now Amni and xopods are the likely candidates and zzyzx is OK with lunching either.

Scum found

##vote zzyzx

Hm it's not a bad case but the thing is I think the "reserved/safe/measured" thing can be levied at so many people this game which is why I have 4-5 people I feel really weird about and like 5-10 more that can easily fall into that same category.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I personally don't feel xopods tried to shift any blame, I think some of the specifics he was getting pinned for actually did apply to me when people were acting like he was the only one saying or doing certain things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Jose Valasquez posted:

Let's look deeper at Leith

Pre KK bandwagon this was his only content post post joke phase:

It is 24 hours before his next post which jumps on the KK bandwagon at #10 along with throwing out vague feelings about a bunch of other players

When pressed he writes a novel about merk, xopods, and Andy but it reads more like a play by play than a real analysis.

For the sake of full disclosure, he makes the same "mistake" as Epsilon about an hour before Epsilon. This makes me question Epsilon's post more, and it is at least a little bit of credit towards Leith since he appears to have been the first to make the mistake. His seems more forced than Epsilon's though

The rest of D1 is just bickering with KK.

Now, after leaning towards xopods being town on D1 he comes in with this:

He's the 6th vote on xopods, he never seems to want to get in on the ground floor.

Here's the kicker, Sandwolf and DBD can correct me if they think I'm wrong, but this is exactly how Leith played in Dark Hospital III, where he was scum (Godfather no less).

Early in the game he jumped on bandwagons late and didn't push anything too hard that wasn't already trending. He threw out a couple of takes on players, but didn't push hard and was just happy to be on the bandwagon.

Contrast that to Cookfia where he was kinda all over the place, but he seemed much more confident in his votes and opinions.

The only thing that makes me hesitant is xopods agreeing, but this could just be busing

I'll be ok with xopods if we go that way, but for now
##vote Leith

Mm, it's different from a modding perspective versus Sandwolf playing against Leith but Iet's see... I do remember Leith trying to think of a good role to claim and he does seem more on the ~clever side~ of trying to figure out ways to confuse people, but it was later on in the game when they were about to win as a scum team. I don't think the whole "I'm going to claim my role when nobody else has claimed thing early D2" is comparable to that, a good move, OR would be approved by scumbuddies if he was to be a scum godfather because that's misusing a pretty important scum role, imo. Creating unwanted attention/being generally scummy like that doesn't really help if he's copped and people still think he's godfather. That seems like a desperate move to make when your team is dead later on in the game.

So the claiming part seems town to me (even if I don't understand the timing) compared to the big play by play opinions post he made that I always see scum do.