Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Link to Most Recent Update

:siren: Bonus Voting Time :siren:
First off, I'm an idiot that forgot to grab screens of the Payne trade, but it was made.

Also, Mo Pope has to be pushing 40.

I also grabbed a screen of this trade because of J.T. Meeks, whom the Pelicans picked up from the Clippers. The Clippers weren't using him, but the Pelicans clearly did. He only played about 50 games which according to 2k21 isn't good enough to be eligible for an all-rookie team (I guess it goes by the stat-leader cutoff point, which is 58 games, or 70% of a player's team's games. So 2k's solution was to just put the first two players for the 76ers that were "rookies" but didn't play at all. :hmmno:)

I'm posting this now, because I otherwise will not remember in the offseason. As part of this trade, we acquired Reinaldo Saramago, a capable PF/SF player. As he's on the first year of a four year deal and one of his natural positions is a position of need for the Honu, we have an option of developing him as a Power Forward or a Small Forward.

Should I train up Saramago as a Small Forward, starting next season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
After he retires, Mo Pope should become a catholic missionary.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Veryslightlymad posted:

Should I train up Saramago as a Small Forward, starting next season?

Yes

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 26: 2041-2042 Part 4: Playoffs

At least the start of this year's playoffs are nice and clean with no significant injuries worth really talking about. The big ones are to Webb III on the Hawks and Berry on the Lakers, but neither are expected to be earth-shattering---the Hawks still have the ability to Radu someone, and Berry's the bench rotation PF for the Lakers and thus would be matched up against Freddy Tiggs, which, as Berry is a guy who is supposed to be a scorer, he's probably happy to sit this one out. Actually, I'm just a big ol' liar. Goodwin on the Pacers was close to their starting backcourt in productivity, which is "pretty drat high".

Paxson, Sonnet, and BJ Lawrence are playing through minor injuries.

I touched on it last update, but these aren't the same Lakers we laughed out of the playoffs last season. In addition to adding Super G'venco, one of the best players of a generation, The Lakers also have the developed Craig Curry, who I cannot believe didn't win MIP this season, averaging 26 or so points per game on efficient shooting and just generally giving a bunch of life to a Lakers squad that looked lost at times over the last couple of years. Patterson has not disappointed after his "move" to Point Guard. This is a team with very little holes to exploit.

In Game 1, Morrison has the single greatest performance that has come out of a Honolulu player in a monster triple double. He was one rebound shy of scoring a double double double triple double. I say that the Lakers don't have any real holes, but Vitor Vitti is merely "quite good" in a league where there's a ton of full fledged stars at the Center position.

The rest of the series is not reflective of this particular outing. Morrison comes back down to Earth, or at least the atmosphere instead of the stratosphere. Sonnet is visibly hobbled by his injury and only puts up about 15 points per game instead of his usual 20---this damage is mitigated by Paxson playing better despite his injury, and giving us about 12 instead of 7 or 8. We alternate wins the rest of the way and win on game 7.

Meanwhile, Vancouver effortlessly dispatches the Rockets in 4. Seattle somehow takes two games off of OKC, and I'm still not entirely sure how. Maybe OKC is just getting old or something. Michael Torres goes off for Phoenix and nearly completes an upset, but Golden State hangs on after 7 games.
Out east, Memphis gets well and truly Radu'd, getting swept in a 4 game series where Constantin's lowest scoring game was 33 points. Weirdly, Montreal's starters perform bad, but their bench is utterly brilliant in dismantling the Knicks after a short 5 game series. Miami pulls off a stunning 7 game upset over the Bucks, with Brett Andersen and Eugene Fisher going off, but most importantly, with Dagan Zozulin doing some work in containing Jackie Dudley. The 1vs8 matchup is also a stunning game 7 upset, with the Cavs sneaking by the Pacers. Deion Powers may have won Coach of the Year, but there's already calls to replace him with his assistant, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.

I said I didn't want to face the Lakers, and that's very true, but I also didn't want to face these guys, either. Actually, gently caress my whole playoff quadrant. I'd have been much happier playing any of the other four Western teams. Anyhow, Barber we've seen before. Lowe is the current reigning back-to-back MVP of the league. DJ Stevenson has absolutely sonned us in the past, scoring at will. Roberto Cortez is also technically a point guard, but he's really tall, plays lockdown defense and has a vicious 3 point shot he's all-too-happy to take early, and Basturk does a little bit of everything.

The good news is, Sonnet is back to his usual self and drops a cool 30 in a game 1 win.

The bad news is, that was our only win against the Ravens.

The Warriors have a thrilling 7 game series against the Thunder, just some really great top-to-bottom stuff out of both teams. Out east, the 7 and 8 seeds both continue their cinderella runs, with the Cavs once again beating the Hawks. As in the past, when Radu Constantin goes up against Dakoulas Balidis, Balidis tends to win because he also has a fantastic Center in Darrell Logan, which is an advantage that Radu has never been able to claim. Montreal's starters continue to underperform in the playoffs, only this time, their bench doesn't pick up the slack and Miami sneaks ahead again.

The Ravens dispatch the tired Warriors in 5 games, looking very much like inevitable champs. Miami somehow puts away Cleveland after 6 close games. Giving us an NBA Finals that looks like this:

Are our notional thread rivals finally going to get on the score board with their first championship?

Oof. Nnnnnnoooooope. No. Probably not then. Naw.

Congratulations to the completely unexpected 2042 NBA Champions, the Miami Heat.

Bill Weaver also had a hell of a finals. This was in the close-out game.

Some big-name retirements. No hall of famers, but Mansiz was one of the best pure point guards of all time, came close to MVP a couple of times in the middle of a weird career where he bounced between starter and the bench. Danny Roy was nearly drafted by the Honu and just a terrific center for several seasons with different teams. Howar Woo was a really fun to watch player without any D to speak of. Todor Szomory was mentioned a lot in this thread, at first for being a brilliant and productive big man, but ending his career by being exactly the wrong piece to keep Philadelphia in the playoff hunt.

This would be when he replaced former Honu and one-time all-star Dedric Wesley. Wesley never did quite live up to his "Adrian Dantley" level of potential, but I'll be damned if he wasn't an excellent scoring option for the 76ers, and put together a respectable NBA Career. Not pictured: Samuel Macy never found a new team and left to play ball in Europe or China.

Brad Stevens has the saddest end possible for an NBA coach, being fired halfway through the season, and then finishing the season for the Minnesota Timberwolves.... yeah, man, I'd call it quits, too.

Speaking of the 76ers being fuckups and that in a real world, Dwight Dixon would be demanding a trade:

Here's the Sonics moving up into the top 3 from their spot at 17 with the pick that Philly traded them. Did Philly protect this pick?

Nope! Sure didn't. So the 6 seed in the West gets to add a #1 pick to their franchise. The lesson here is twofold, kids:
1)Protect your picks
2)Never. Ever. EVER tank. Only incredibly stupid people tank. Compare how the Celtics felt about their tank season to how the Sonics feel about their season not tanking. Tanking: Not even once.

True to prediction, the Pacers fire their award winning coach and promote his assistant, one-time Honu coach SGA into the position. I have no idea why its calling this a hiring instead of a promotion.

For the second time in a loving row, our coach gets poached by a team offering less money for a less prestigious position on their squad. This is after this son of a bitch won a championship. Now, Bennett in particular never really looked happy so in story, it sort of makes sense. But from a gameplay perspective, this is dog poo poo. Fix your goddamn game, 2k. I hate you so loving much.

Then there's this poo poo. The Ravens went to the finals. You know who will put us over the edge? This rear end in a top hat with an F in every single statistic who has no rotations. The solution to coming off an achilles injury is to play that player 48 minutes a game.* (*Although, in the real world, the Nets actually pulled this stunt with Kevin Durant and it very nearly worked. Although, he sure as poo poo wasn't playing 48 minutes a game before the playoffs, which I feel is a key difference.)
So yeah, I fired Jared again. I really wish I had been keeping track of how many times this has happened.

Having lost a second consecutive coach to NBA 2k bullshit, I dig through options, and there's LaMarcus Aldridge who does the Triangle and has a C and an A looking like maybe he's the way to go, but I also noted during the miniupdate that we have a really terrific defense and I found a coach with a defensive system, very good stats, and who was motivated.

During his interview, he told me that he had some holes in his NBA resume and he wanted a chance to patch them up.

Sorry about not holding a vote. I thought this was funnier.

:siren: Voting Time :siren:
The Honolulu Honu have the 25th and... uh... what would that be, 59th? pick in the 2042 NBA Draft. Currently, our big need is at the wing, although we'll be trying to bring back Cameron, maybe (although not likely) trying to bring back Barbosa, and training Flores and Saramago as Small Forwards going into the future. Our Shooting Guard situation is also pretty drat thin.

Pick 25
Do we:
A) Draft the best available/potential Wing
B)Draft the best potential player, regardless of position
C)Draft someone fast, regardless of position
D)Draft someone with vision, regardless of position

Pick 59, probably
A) Draft the best available/potential Wing
B)Draft the best potential player, regardless of position
C)Draft someone fast, regardless of position
D)Draft someone with vision, regardless of position
E)Best Name Available

ALSO WORTH NOTING
Our salary cap situation going into the '42-'43 season is something like 113 million over the cap. I bring this up because our cap situation in '43-'44 is currently 103 million under the cap. We have a really good starting five, but technically speaking, with how '43-'44 is shaping up, we'd have the flexibility to re-build if we needed to. The question over extensions and who to extend and for how much will be a future update, but its pertinent information to have now, I think.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:yeshaha:

and A and B for the draft

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

frankenfreak posted:

:yeshaha:

and A and B for the draft

Echoing all of this. Heyyyyy, Luka~

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Glad to see this thread with updates to catch up on!

I say A and E

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

beejay posted:

Glad to see this thread with updates to catch up on!

I say A and E

It's great to be back! Thanks for reading.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 27: 2042-2043 Part 1: Offseason

If there's one thing that 2k does fairly consistently well, it's specifically the NBA Draft portion of the simulation. ---not the actual signing of rookies. Not the stuff immediately preceding the draft, none of that. Just the draft itself. Every now and then you get weirdness like a team ultimately giving up assets to trade down instead of just reaching for a player. But aside from a few hiccups, my experience has been that the AI seems to draft with purpose, and that there's quite a bit of logic to their maneuvers.

Case in point, the Seattle Supersonics. Completely unexpectedly, an extra first round pick you have from an earlier trade with a team that has the league's best player (so a pick from a team that you figured would be at the bottom of the lottery or outside of the lottery) magically becomes #1 overall. Going into the draft, you were a playoff team that managed a surprisingly strong performance against one of the favorites in your conference. The draft is rumored to be the least talented in recent memory, with few players with any good potential and no one who projects as a starter right now. What do you do?

There's actually a lot of good answers to this question, but "Trade the pick for an All-Star" is definitely reasonable.

Sacramento then uses their newly acquired #1 pick to select Lawrence Atkins, as good a prospect as any, but not one any other team had going #1 overall. Maybe the Sonics were the only team willing to trade. It's clear this is the player that Sacramento wanted. Have they already given up on Philip Reed?! These two events turn a really lackluster draft into something exciting that catches the imagination of NBA fans.

The consensus #1 pick, Bernard Fuller, thus gets selected by the Las Vegas Neon at #2. In the last draft, they selected the top prospect and rookie of the year, Bernie Sharp, (Who is also a fellow Bernard. Goddamn this game and names---I'm gonna have to rename like 15 people in the next draft class) and the exciting young Ronnie Watts at Center. This is a nice little nucleus of very promising young players that Vegas is assembling.

The other guy that could have gone number 1, and the best player right now, is this gentleman. I mostly took this screen shot to reminisce about Craig Payton. Will Craig Payton be the second Honu to make the hall of fame? Will he make it at all? Mark my words, over the next couple of years, we'll see a few of our old guard turn up in the hall. Granted, most of their resume will be with the teams they went to after us, but still.

The Hornets do their usual thing of develop a player into something, then trade for more lottery picks.

This was a trade back into the draft. Thanks to an earlier trade, their pick went to the Sacramento Kings. The Kings, having got their man at #1, had no more need of this pick, and decided to grab a former all-star off of the Timberwolves, where he never quite fit in.

Fans of Frankie Webb III can put down their pitchforks. After years of rotting on the bench behind two all stars, the very NBA ready Webb might actually get some good minutes for the Wizards, where he only has to be behind one guy.

Sacramento then trades back into the draft and flips Garry Gaines (.....wait, wasn't he the other SF that was ahead of Webb III on Phoenix?) for a prospect player from last year's draft. They shed a bunch of salary here and get a pick very near what they were going to have anyhow. That '46 Minnesota pick is taking a little journey.

Seattle had their own pick in this draft, too. Much like the 76ers pick, they use it to shore up the rest of their back court. Seattle has clearly signalled to the rest of the league that they're in win now mode, while Paris Rush is still playing at a high level.

The Lakers considered their loss of Barber to be such a mistake that they give up two first round picks just to get him back. Stinginess never pays off, and the Ravens pull a nice coup. Still, should a team that went to the finals be dealing its second or third best player like this?

Honolulu finally goes on the board, and there's still a couple guys on the table that I had scouted as possibilities. Which is crazy to me, because of the preceding 24 players selected, fifteen of them were either shooting guards or small forwards. Basically this entire draft were swing-men. TWELVE players in this draft class had an NBA comparison of "Danilo Gallinari", which, if half of them pan out that way, this is actually a really good draft class. (Also, Gallo has been a power forward for a few years now, but then again, this is an old game and I won't hold that against 2k) With over a dozen swingmen taken, I cannot believe the one that fell to us was Garrett. I'm very excited about Garrett. I had Garrett 100% scouted (even this is not 100% accurate) He's a mean defender with 4 badges out of the box, better than NBA average speed and agility, 95 in "Hands", 99 in Stamina (just a bit of a jump from Barbosa), but the physical gifts don't stop there.

If a player is the best at something in the combine at their position, then the game will say "among [their position]." Right here, it's saying player. This means that Garrett is stronger than every power forward and center in this draft that attended the draft combine, too.
If all we ever get out of him is defense, that's a win, but if Honolulu can develop his shooting (and he shot about 73% from the line in college, so in the real world this would certainly be achievable) this might just be the sleeper pick of the draft.

Which is good, because my scouts completely whiffed on this guy, who supposedly had the best potential remaining. He is the actual worst player drafted this season. (Although he "made" our roster. I basically never hire two-way players and if a player is picked low enough, you can sign them to a 2-way deal instead of a regular NBA contract. I'd make the CPU do this, but 2k incredibly stupidly does not roll over 2-way contracts until free agency, not before the rookie signing window. Meaning: every year, every team signs two two-way players, the max that they can, and stuffs them in the G-league to develop. Left to their own devices, the AI will never sign a second round pick, and they'll all go into the pool to be signed as 2-way players for.... for other teams than the ones who drafted them. The exact same players still make the NBA or G-league, just... not on the right teams. It's so unbelievably stupid. If they counted the correct year in the contract, then the AI might be able to sign its rookies---instead, the solution is to never, ever sign a second round pick. I have to manually make teams sign their rookies every single season

Mr. Irrelevant, much like Maggette, will probably never see a minute of real NBA action.

Paxson pleasantly surprises me by opting into his contract for another year. This will add him to the list of guys that will be available to extend this year or have their contracts fall off. While I was grossly mistaken about our cap space this year (we're only about -17 million, not -117 million), our cap space next year being over 110 million is definitely accurate. The only players that will be signed to the Honu after this season ends that aren't on rookie deals are Frederick Reeves and BJ Lawrence. Once we get to the extension window and have seen how the team looks this season, then we can make some decisions. Everyone who can be extended wants to be extended already. To wit, that is Sonnet, Morrison, Andersen, and Paxson.

As has been our usual for most offseasons we make very few signings. You may notice a new name here.

I hardly ever make use of our two-way contracts unless I do so out of the draft. I have had a couple of players start that way, though. Vince Bowman was an RFA the Lakers declined to match (to a two way deal? stone cold, LA) that has reasonable potential and is better than the guy we drafted at SG just now. Impressively, he's already got a 3 star "system match" with our team. So better than half! That's pretty promising for a young player. If he develops at all, he should fit our roster like a glove, and as a two-way contract player, he won't be pissed off for playing in the G-league, since he basically has to. This will also give us some injury relief as we have one primary shooting guard in our active player list, although Viana has proven himself to be a very capable sub from the reserve.

While he's not a huge scoring threat, Noel Vaughn gives the 76ers some much needed relief at the Small Forward position, and is a front court star that hopefully can gel with Dwight Dixon. I have a few doubts, given that Vaughn very much plays like a power forward, but if this move pays off, it will pay off big. Ain't no one that wants to face a motivated Dixon in the playoffs. Joe Valentine is also a Center instead of a power forward, so this is the first time the 76ers have made free agency signings that actually fit their team instead of loading up on PFs to play behind Dixon.

The Grizzlies were extremely active in every big name free agent signing, but to no avail. The only player they managed to land was their own superstar, Loren Matthies. Still, a lot of teams never even accomplish that much.

His brilliant playoff run secures Dagan Zozulin his place on the Heat's roster for the near future. Teams can only give out one 5 year deal like this a year. In 2k, I mean. In the real world it's a lot more complicated than that, but still, it's a big deal, and the dude earned it.

Magnus Fredriksson secures himself a deal that's just a little bit better than what the game was trying to pay him last season.

Despite crawling back to Barber, the Lakers are fast to make it exceptionally clear that they're happy with the services of their former #1 pick and lock him up long term. ......drat. That combination is bad news for me. (The Lakers have supplanted the Nuggets as our biggest rivals)

The Neon acquire two of my cast-off small forwards in the same free agency. I'm glad Barbosa found a home. Kraemer fractured his leg last season, so this is the Neon acquiring two former Honolulu Small Forwards that didn't play for most of last season. Good thing they're in the city of gambling.

The Nuggets casually add an all-star to play next to Steve Dunn. No biggie. Sure they've been a low playoff seed for a few years now. Guess that just means its time to reload. >Yawn<. ......bastards.

The Pacers pull off a very un-Indiana like feat of keeping both of their big-name players in the offseason and acquiring a former all-star to shore up their bench. Apparently, despite their humiliating first round loss, last year is still perceived as a success. Well done, Indiana.

Russell Curtis went.... somewhere, but Lambros Giannu there was very close to pulling the Trail Blazers into the playoffs even with Donald Powers injured for most of the year. I cannot believe they let him go. Meanwhile, taking Cortez away from the Ravens is big news for us. I am pretty happy to see that guy go East. He roasted my rear end in the playoffs. The Ravens, losing both Cortez and Barber, are probably not going to lead the West again this season.

Another friend goes to one of our rivals. Still, he was at risk of not signing anywhere (WHY?! He's really good. God, I hate the AI of this game) so I'm glad that he's #still Employed. If Gaines actually was the guy that was the backup to Torres that made the all-star game, then with Webb III traded, Wang should be pretty early in the Suns' rotation, too.

Saramago, Calloway, and Tiggs get us to the semi-finals of the Summer League, but we lose to the Trail Blazers, who lose to the Neon. No real surprises that the Neon won.

Alain Sonnet has begun to regress. That 2 point loss is at first alarming, but going through his stats, I think that's a huge reaction on the game's calculation of OVR..... I highly doubt we'll see much difference between this year and last year. Also pictured: Check out how good our big 4 is from mid-range and deep. More troubling is BJ Lawrence's regression. Between him getting old and Wingate having a successful G-league vacation, Lawrence might actually have to fight for his minutes. (I just realized Wingate's first name is Clayton. We have two Camerons, two Fredericks, two Hughs and two Claytons on our team. God drat 2k and naming.) At any rate, I'm not inclined to panic, as most of our team is holding firm or improving, and Calloway in particular practically oozes with potential. Flores and Wingate are absolute gym-rats. The next generation of Honu is pretty promising, I expect the transition to be seamless if we extend everyone this extension window.

The Honu endure.
(This is our most flattering of the three power rankings, but the other two have us at 6 and 7. Last year we were something like #3, #12, and #13, so general consensus is we've improved)

And now a word about coaching

As it turns out, despite being a good defensive team, we're not all that compatible with a defensive system. Well, most of us. Hugh Morrison, really, really is.

Anyhow, this is Coach Doncic's first gig. While his preference is to run a defense system, the fact of the matter is, his (hidden) experience for Defense is exactly the same as it is every other system, so there's no reason why we have to have him run a defensive system. Let's compare.

This is our best possible lineup under coach Doncic's desired Defensive system. As you can see, Morrison would shine like the sun under this system, and it's pretty good for the continued development of Cam Flores. It's not-quite-as-good as our last system was for Andersen and Reeves, and it really exposes Sonnet, who is theoretically our best player (though last year, Morrison definitely was by a wide margin) Luckily, this best-team is also our projected starting lineup. That's probably good.

To contrast, our worst lineup under a defensive system looks like this. (Technically it would have Viana here instead of Reeves, but Viana is currently in the reserves so I can't put him on this screen) I'm not too arsed about Cameron, but as you can see, it's pretty bad for some of our prospects (Saramago actually gets worse in this system if I make him a Small Forward). In particular, it's a horrendous fit with our blue chip prospect, Clay Calloway. That either is or is drat near the worst compatibility I have ever seen. We would almost certainly have to trade him.

Contrast this with the best possible fit for the Honu, the Seven Seconds or Less offense.

This is our best lineup under a Seven Seconds system. While Morrison doesn't perform nearly as well here as he does in the Defense-first system, all four of our other starters perform better. Sonnet is actually maxed out in this system. Morrison is only close to maxed in the defense system. Reeves is also near maxed and Andersen is clearly better than otherwise.

Here's our worst possible lineup under a seven seconds system. (Again, it'd have Viana instead of Reeves, but Viana is literally our fastest-pace player, so I assume he'd be pretty OK in the seven seconds offense) The only person who really suffers is BJ Lawrence, who is older than God. Note that the PG in this scenario is Paxson and not Calloway, and note how close Paxson is to maxed out under this offense---meaning Calloway is also close to maxed out. A far cry from how off-the-chain awful he'd be on a defense-first system (which is weird. Calloway's a reasonably good defender) Garrett is about as good either way but prefers defense. That's still not bad system compatibility at all for a rookie. Cameron clearly performs better. Literally everyone on our team is better suited for the Seven Seconds offense except for Garrett (By a tiny amount), Morrison (who is still really good), and BJ Lawrence.

Again, despite defense being Doncic's chosen system, he's equally experienced in both. That is to say: He has no coaching experience. His personal compatibility is gonna be the same either way.

:siren: VOTING TIME :siren:

Should the Honolulu Honu
A)Stick with the Defense first system
B)Switch to the Seven Seconds system

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I love that the new head coach is, in this canon, easily the greatest player of all time who led this team's arch rivals for decades.

I personally would really like to see the 7 seconds approach. I see this as Sonnet's last year with the team and I want to see how he does in it.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-uTS0qb7Dw

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Seven Seconds sounds cool.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
While this is not my 100th update, I do number my groups of pictures. If an update is small enough I might use the older update number. So this would be the thread's 100th major update. Thank you everyone for continuing to read this silly thread I have put out for 100 major updates.

Only about a quarter of the way done, though.

Chapter 27: 2042-2043 Part 2: Until All-Star Break and Contract Extension Window

Opening day (for the Honu) in 2043 is against the Brooklyn Nets. Nothing super exciting about this win, but our best two players of the last few seasons each had a double double. Actually, I lied. Clayton Wingate's perfect shooting night where he averaged more than a point per minute is actually pretty exciting. This is his debut for the Honu's main roster after spending last year miserable in the G-league. As of this game, he's already elated. He's committed to not resigning with us, according to the game, but in 3 years time, if he's still around, he'd be an RFA and won't have any choice. It's mostly just stupid that the game insists he'd never re-sign because, if RFAs weren't a thing... uh.... he's elated. Whatever.

The very next day, Sonnet takes another injury, although this one will take much less time out of the year than last year's. This is really poor luck. Sonnet should be one of the more durable guys on our roster, with an injury risk diagram that's all green and yellow, and more green than yellow. On another note, despite him being 31, I'm fairly convinced his offseason regression was less "age is catching up with him" and more "dislocated patellas seriously gently caress you up for a while"----at the halfway point of the season, his "default" OVR climbed back up to 91. At any rate, though he can't play through it, this is a very minor injury.

Shortly after that, we also get this update on a minor injury to Andersen. The Honu's start to the season was.... not great... while players kept getting injured and we struggled to adapt to our new coach's new style of play. However, seasons are 82 games long and... well.

With two starters and (at the time) our top two scorers out, Hugh Morrison steps up big in this clash of the titans against Portland's Donald Powers. Reeves also had himself a game he could be proud of.

In Andersen's return game from injury, he goes ham and drops 40. His opponent in this game is Loren Mathies, who is either the second or third best power forward in the league, depending on who you ask.

It being the only game he played that week helps him secure being named western conference player of the week. I mean, who else averaged 40 points on 77% from 3 with zero turnovers?

Andersen's comeback game wouldn't be the highest scoring for the Honu, though. A little later, Reeves dropped 48 on the Raptors. I checked to see if this was the season's high number, but Louie Morgan dropped 54 at some point. Glad he's still doing OK.

Sonnet has no trouble getting back into the swing of things in his return. Although, Reeves's performance somewhat overshadowed it.

Our backcourt has another excellent showing against the Pistons.

The work continues with this blowout of the Suns. Shoutouts to Freddy Tiggs with his near-triple double.

Our three top scorers continue streaking with this nailbiter win over the Spurs. Just excellent play from Morrison, Sonnet, and Reeves. As for Reeves.....

The Pistons, Suns, and Spurs games were all on the same week. This is a well-deserved honor for the team's sniper.

He continued his rampage into the next week, too. Lest we be tempted to consider it a fluke.

He's not the only player in the spotlight, though. Here's a gorgeous showing by Sonnet in a 59 point massacre of the Ravens.

The big 3 share the spotlight in this 54 point demolition of the Denver Nuggets.

And Sonnet and Morrison do the bulk of the lifting in this drubbing of the Washington Wizards. You may have noticed a lot of these games have been complete blowouts. And our record (which I'll get to in a second) reflects this. At this point, I think it's safe to say that our new coach and system have been a smashing success.

Nevertheless, It's pretty safe to say that the biggest beneficiary of the seven seconds or less offense all has been Frederick Reeves. (Oh, man. I'm glad I have him signed for another few years...... I'm getting this for less than thirty million dollars.)

STANDINGS

Honolulu's been on fire, tearing through the league, including some of the very best teams, and currently sitting at third place in the West, but certainly striking distance of the top spot. It'll be difficult to catch Utah, a surprise team that improved everywhere, but mostly on defense. Utah's defense has been absolutely stifling, fully seven points better than the next best team in the league. As expected, Vancouver fell off a truck after losing two of their big stars. Houston might be a playoff team despite having three starters that shoot under 40% a game (more on that later). The big surprise is that the Phoenix Suns inexplicably disintegrated. No idea what's going on there.

The biggest takeaway from the East is that Miami's championship last year was by no means a fluke, and perhaps it should have been obvious they were better than their 7 seed would suggest. Noel Vaughn and Dwight Dixon clearly mesh together. I didn't talk about the Hornets signing some guy named Chase Alexander but it's been... uh... pretty... big for them. The Nets traded Jalen Gardner for Homer Barry, so at least they'll win an award at the end of the season.

The 2043 All-Star teams are announced.

~ Donald Powers (C, Trail Blazers, R1P13, 2028) doesn't deserve to be in Portland. I still continue to be baffled how the Trail Blazers are always bad even though they have him. This is arguably Powers's worst season since joining the Trail Blazers, and he is averaging 30/11/3 on 46/40/96 shooting with a steal and two and a half blocks a game thrown in. I am not kidding when I say that, if the Blazers were ever good, he would have won MVP. I don't understand. Actually, I do know why Portland is this bad.

A better question is, "Why is Donald Powers happy to keep playing for these morons?"

~ Radu Constantin (SG, Hawks, R1P10, 2030) is still Radu. His 30 points per game average is the lowest its been since 2037.

~ Brett Andersen (SG, Heat, R2P34, 2032) is on the short list for league MVP.... again, showing that the Heat's victory was not a fluke, but more importantly, that maybe he shouldn't have been slept on in the draft.

~ Darrell Logan (C, Cavaliers, R1P1, 2033) is also playing out of his mind good. This is probably the first season where he's clearly looked better than his teammate, Dakoulas Balidis. Who doesn't.... appear to be an all-star from what I can tell. Interesting.

~ Theo Hood (SF, Jazz, R1P5 2035) should be in the running for MVP. In addition to averaging 27/5/3 on the best team in the league, Hood is also the best defensive player on the league's best defensive team, he holds the fifth best oFG% in the entire league. 2k is stupid and broken and I bet he doesn't make either all-defense team. I know oFG% isn't the only or even necessarily the best defensive metric, but 2k does not seem to consider it at all when evaluating defense. Maybe I'll manually insert him, because that's blood-boilingly stupid.

~ Jesse Harrington (SF, Thunder, R1P16, 2027) is "only" a nine time all star. I manually replaced Michael Torres because they're putting up similar numbers and Torres is on the worst team in the league. Also, Harrington must get into the hall of fame and even with 8 all star appearances, I'm not convinced the game will do so. God drat.

~ Hugh Morrison (C, Honu R1P3, 2033) will be discussed in more detail at the end of this post. I'm glad that he sprung back from his injury. The AI selected him for this game themselves and it is, in fact, his fourth game. He might choose to not attend because of a bruise, which is stupid and could hurt his hall of fame odds, since the game also only calculates all-star games attended, not made.

~ Noel Vaughn (SF, 76ers, R2P5 2028) replaces Javier Batista. This is his second all star appearance. His rebounding is ridiculous for a small forward, although at "only" 12 and a half, this is his worst rebounding season. He's here because Batista didn't deserve it and also because his signing is clearly the main reason why the 76ers are back at the top of the East.

~ Frederick Reeves (SG, Honu, R1P25, 2036) replaces Gerardo Catinella. He is a first time all-star. I am incensed the game didn't naturally stick him on the all star team. (And loving Teddy Vaughn is a starter! ARRRRRGH) Reeves is averaging 24/4/4 on 50/46/96 shooting. He is currently tenth in the league in PER and EWA, 7th in True Shooting, and 12th in Effective Field Goal Percentage. He is also, as we learned last season, a good defender. He is leading the third best team in the league in all of the aforementioned metrics, as well as in scoring. He is behind Alain Sonnet in Efficiency and Game Score, however he is still 20th and 13th in the entire league in those metrics, respectively (Sonnet is 19th and 12th). He is sixth in +/-, the top 5 being the entire starting 5 of the Utah Jazz. Frederick Reeves should have MVP shares. He's clearly not an MVP, but in the real world, you can bet your rear end he'd be 3rd or 4th on a few people's ballots. So yes, I added one of my own players to the all-star team, and that all is my justification. The justification being "He has played like a top 10 player this season, if not even better than top 5)

~ Garry Gaines (SF, Pistons, R1P6, 2032) is indeed the guy who made an all-star team despite playing off the bench behind Michael Torres. In hindsight, Garry Gaines being on the Detroit Pistons might be why the Phoenix Suns suck now. Oops.

~ Chase Alexander (PG, Hornets, UNDRAFTED, 2036) is another player that goes undrafted and inexplicably becomes a God. I can't believe I had to manually add him. Alexander is on the short list for league MVP. The game itself has had him on that list several times. So... you'd think they would have made him an all-star. The big story with Alexander is he was the backup player to Zach Cooper in college for the Minnesota Golden Gophers. I know this because they entered the league on the same year, play the same position, are the same age, and are both listed as having attended the University of Minnesota. Zach Cooper was a much celebrated #1 overall pick. Chase Alexander went undrafted. You better believe there is one hell of a grudge at work here. GET HIS rear end, Chase.

~ Gene Lyons (SG, Nuggets, R1P14, 2034) now plays next to Steve Dunn and averages 30 points per game. When he made his first all-star game last season for the Raptors, he "only" averaged 24.

~ Loren Mathies (PF, Grizzlies, R1P6, 2033 BUT ALSO R1P6, 2031) remains the weirdest glitch I've seen in this game, which is saying something. If Memphis get their poo poo together, he stands a reasonable shot at being MVP.

~ Dwight Dixon (PF, 76ers, R1P1, 2031) could also win MVP, since his team is good again. He has the highest OVR of any player at 98. The next highest is Radu Constantin at 95. Alain Sonnet would be tied for 10th at 91.

~ Teddy Vaughn (PF, Rockets, R1P15 2030) stinks. He is the third best power forward on his own team. (To be fair, Houston has good power forwards) I think he's popular with fans because I whimsically set his college to the Illinois institute of art ~ Chicago. I have no other explanation. He's had a couple of seasons where he was actually pretty good, but his career shooting is barely over 40% and it's only 38% this year. His best season was 2041 where he averaged 19/16/4.5 and shot his best percentage of his career, 44%. THAT season was legitimately good. This season he's averaging 13/15/4 on 38/22/74 shooting. He's essentially Andre Drummond who passes much more willingly, but can't shoot anywhere near as well. ..........he is a worse. shooting. Andre. Drummond. He'll probably make the Hall of Fame. gently caress off, 2k.

~ Zach Cooper (PG, Mavericks, R1P1, 2036) is not having as strong of a season as Chase Alexander, either by individual stats or by overall team record. It's still an all-star caliber season, though.

~ Terrell Petersen (PG, Spurs, R1P9, 2030) is his same old self, also on the short list for MVP, as he is any season where the Spurs are doing well. His stats are extremely similar to Alain Sonnet's, although he averages about 3 more points. I despise how much this game shits on my players.

~ Steve Dunn (PG, Nuggets R1P4, 2029) had his value discussed when we talked about Gene Lyons. Dunn is really good.

~ Javier Sanchez (SF, Celtics, R1P18, 2033) is a productive 2-way player and his high OVR is probably the main reason why the Celtics are always at the top of the power rankings every season. OVR being meaningless is probably why they always end up kinda junk. He's still an all-star level player, he's just.... not one of the top 10 players in the league like his OVR would have you think.

~ Ian Erikkson (SF, Warriors, R1P2, 2033) has been the backbone for the Golden State Warriors, who are frequently in the playoffs, for his entire career.

~ Eugene Fisher ("SG", Heat, R1P11, 2031) meshes perfectly with Brett Andersen. I remember when they were both signed and I questioned how it would work. Well, it works really well. Fisher has always played at Small Forward for the Heat, and I'd really change his position, but I'm worried he'll stop making All-Star Teams when both he and Andersen deserve it, and the AI seems smart enough to keep starting them both.

~ Patric Love (PG, Voyageurs, R1P23, 2034) feels like he's been an all-star more than twice, but maybe I only thought about adding him a couple of times. Anyhow, the Voyageurs record is mainly his doing and he's in a contract year, so potential bad times coming for Montreal.

~ Max Steele (SF, Warriors, R1P1, 2039) makes his first all star appearance. The reason why Fisher gets quotes over his position and Steele does not is because Steele legitimately comes off the bench and plays behind Ian Erikkson. This seems to be working. He took a big jump and is incredibly valuable to his team and I fully expect that, even though he'll be an RFA after his contract ends, that the Warriors won't match him (since they have Erikkson) and they'll fall off a cliff.

~ Vlado Tomasevic (PF, Pacers, R1P12, 2032) is only a 3 time all star. He was manually inserted to replace Alexey Kersey, from the Grizzlies. Someone... probably Chase Alexander.... replaced the Grizzlies' starting point guard, too. The Grizzlies are 10th in the East. And the East has a high enough parity that I would usually let them keep their all-stars, but three?! Anyhow, Vlado plays slightly better than Kersey and his team is just as good and had no representation. Chase is definitely playing better than whoever is starting at point guard for the Grizzlies.

Anyhow, several updates back, someone asked me to keep track of the 2033 draft class, where we got Morrison, Kraemer, and Payne, because it was supposed to be a super draft class but it seemed disappointing based on my players. Kraemer is kind of an always-injured disappointment (he is injured again this year for the Neon, in fact), but I'd argue Payne was definitely worth it, and Morrison is... uh... really, really, really good. So while we didn't hit on all three players back then, I'd say we definitely hit on two of them. Anyhow, it really was a very good draft class all around. A decade later, 2033 sees 5 players on the all star team. I'm sure other players have made other years' all star teams.

:siren: A voting post will follow this update shortly. :siren:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Given the ultra high-tempo offence, how is Honolulu in terms of offensive/defensive efficiency and/or points per possession (made/allowed)? I don't know enough to say if those averages are the same as efficiency. I think that they are.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
CONTRACT EXTENSIONS

Four Honu players, including 3 of our top 4 players, are all up for contract extensions. As, if all of them walk, we'll have 110 million dollars in cap space to play with, I figured I would hold a vote.

Be advised: I don't think letting any of those 3 players leave is a good idea. At all. Even though their price tags are pretty high. This is what we're looking at.

We have possible extensions to offer to Alain Sonnet, Hugh Morrison, Hugh Andersen, and Gilbert Paxson. Some of those figures are enormous. I am well aware that that figure adds up to over 110, but since we already have these players on our team, we can absolutely extend them all. We wouldn't even hit the luxury tax threshold. You'll note that Sonnet and Morrison's contracts, in particular, are much higher than what they're currently playing for. There are two reasons for this:

1)Inflation. High value contracts in this game get larger and larger and larger. I think this is tied to either TV deals or collective bargaining agreements, but I have no earthly idea how. As, if it doesn't become (literally instead of figuratively) unplayable, I'll be running this simulation for 80 years, I'm fascinated to see just how high they go.
2)Contract value is based on years in the league and how much the player was making already. Simply put, Sonnet and Morrison's expected contracts are higher than the last time because I literally couldn't pay them what they are worth last time. Both of them are All-NBA level players, though its a crap shoot on any given year if they'll actually make one or not. For reference, "Fair" league value for an all NBA player of their age bracket is about 40 million dollars on the low end. Loren Mathies is set to make 66 million dollars on the last year of his deal. Mathies i absolutely fantastic. He's not that much better than either Sonnet or Morrison most seasons, although, this particular season, he leads the league in PER. No one this season has hit the 30 PER mark, though, so even with that said, the gap from Mathies to, say, our own Frederick Reeves in that regard (10th leaguewide) is not that extreme.

Before we discuss the 4 players in question, let's discuss the rest of the team:

Frederick Reeves ~ I discussed in the actual update. He's insanely productive, in hindsight, his contract was a ridiculous steal of a value. He's a legitimate "third star" to have next to Morrison and Sonnet

Cam Flores ~ Cam has very quietly cemented himself as the team's starting small forward for the foreseeable future. He's only 22 years old. Flores won't wow you with numbers, but he's become the best perimeter defender on the team. His shooting has developed so when he does shoot, they're reasonable shots. With the other 4 starters sucking up all the air in the room, having a guy that's quietly able to contribute in other ways has been a big value.

Clay Calloway ~ Clay took a big jump in productivity and is one of our better scorers coming off the bench. He's... uh... somewhere between Louie Morgan and Jacque Cisse as far as Honolulu point guards go. He's not as good as either---but this is his third year in the league. Maybe he'll wind up better than both. Maybe not. He does not mind his role of coming off the bench, and it is very good to have a bench scorer. That should help us considerably in the playoffs.

Freddy Tiggs ~ Is our best defender. Per 36 minutes, he's the second best rebounder on our team, after BJ Lawrence. He's a willing and able passer. He has come tantalizingly close to a triple double several times this season. The big knock on Tiggs is he's convinced that he can shoot threes. He can't. He really, really can't. He attempts two a game, and those are basically completely wasted possessions. He shoots at around 10% from deep. I have no idea how to fix this error without editing him, which would be cheating. Why 2k doesn't have a way to manipulate player tendencies, well, you know why. They're garbage.

Clayton Wingate ~ Better make one of the all-rookie teams. He's not quite what I envision as a center, and the team will look very different once he officially replaces BJ Lawrence. Wingate doesn't rebound at all (two and a half per game as a center is tragic) so it's probably good that Tiggs does so well from the other Big position. Wingate continues to be the opposite of Tiggs in that he definitely can shoot threes. He hits threes at about a 45% clip.

BJ Lawrence ~ Ain't dead yet. Despite not being a natural fit for our new offense, and despite definitely being in decline, Lawrence is very happy about how the season has been going. Maybe he realizes he's getting old and doesn't want to be as involved in the offense. At any rate, his scoring dropped off, but bench scoring is in the hands of Calloway and Wingate now. He's still the best rebounder on our team and he plays good help defense.

Karl Cameron ~ Would play more, but Doncic runs a 10 man rotation and there's not a lot of cause to put him in games. At any rate, he's kept the things that make him pretty good (great passing for a small forward, mostly.) and got his shooting to something respectable (actually, his FG% is above 50% this year, so more than respectable) He doesn't contribute all that often, since Flores is locked into the starting SF spot, but he's always been ready when his number is called.

Rubens Viana ~ Is the last guy in our rotation, but I manually put him in games, since I tend to shuffle who the coach uses at the end of a rotation. He plays 3 positions and his sole job when he's in the game is to get open and then shoot, or just shoot over his defender. He does this reliably if necessary, but his defense isn't great and the AI hates low OVR players, even if they're probably objectively better than someone else.

Reinaldo Saramago and Glenn Garrett ~ are projects. I'm still excited about Garrett, but man, shooting on rookies in this game is ugly. Saramago's shooting is also pretty bad, but his defense is as good as Andersen's! Garrett is also a very good defender for a rookie.

Here's Sonnet's stats over the last 4 seasons. You'll note he's playing slightly better this year, despite his supposed decline. I'm convinced his decline was caused by his injury and not age, because I've looked behind the curtain and Sonnet's "Peak end" is not supposed to hit until he's 34, (which is very high!) Maybe 2k models something so a player sometimes hits the end of peak earlier.

Sonnet will take a front loaded deal, so even with the 46 million dollar number, if we extend him 4 years, he'll be below 40 million on the last year of the deal. Also, players on this screen always give you a high figure. So I can talk his starting price down from 46, too.

The Case For Sonnet:
He's fantastic. He has more Hall of Fame Badges than anyone in the entire league, making him arguably the most bullshit player, since badges are one of the main things that allows a player to mechanically break the game. It certainly makes him the most dynamic player. He's also the most important player we have. When I jump into games for the playoffs, the offense completely goes to poo poo whenever Sonnet gets benched. This might not be true this season, when it comes time, because Calloway took an enormous productivity jump. But basically, once Sonnet is benched, everyone stands around like clueless idiots. His closest comparison in the league makes over 50 million per year.

The Case Against Sonnet
He might actually be regressing, which could be scary depending on how fast he regresses. He's been injured several times, (although that's luck---again, he has no red spaces on his body). Clay Calloway looks really good, albeit in a different way.

Here's Hugh Morrison. As you can see, he never got back to the level of his near-MVP season, but he's remained very productive, and there's something to be said about a guarantee of 17/9/4 with a steal and somewhere between a block and two blocks a night.

Morrison will also take a front loaded deal. Meaning, his desired 41 million will decrease pretty rapidly, but as we discussed with Sonnet, I can probably get him to start with a lower number.

The Case for Morrison
He's fantastic. He does a little of everything well. And I do mean everything. He has a B+ in perimeter defense. Not "Interior defense" (which is an A+, btw) but perimeter defense. As a 7'2 center. If Sonnet is the engine of our car, Morrison is like, the Seat belts, air bags, and safety features. Even when the offense goes to poo poo (say, when Sonnet rests), we can get something going by just passing down to Morrison and letting him figure it out. At somewhere under 40 million dollars per year, his closest comparisons in the league would be making somewhere between 50 and 65 million per year.

The Case Against Morrison
There literally is none. I'll try though: Unlike Sonnet who might be regressing, Morrison merely might start regressing soon and while players can turn into hot garbage after several years of regression, it's hardly an instantaneous thing. I'm playing this vote straight, so I'll let him walk if I'm instructed to, but I'd be deeply confused by the vote.

Hugh Andersen has had a wacky couple of years. Andersen could put up 20 points per game but is putting up 13. This is more because of other people taking the shots. Not shown is Andersen's oFG% of about 41%. So he's our second best defender overall, after Freddy Tiggs. I'm sure this has more to do with physical attributes and tendencies than it does his stats, since his defensive grades aren't actually that good. He's a good rebounder and has the ability to score from anywhere. What could be called a three level scorer, and indeed, this is how the game classifies him.

Andersen will take a flat contract, meaning I can probably get him to take about 25 million a year. This would be a fairly substantial pay cut.

The Case for Andersen
He's quite good! 25 million a year would be a terrific value. He's unselfish. He'd be taking less money than he's worth and he sacrifices in other ways, too. As you can see from his stats, he's sacrificing quite a bit to be the team's 4th option. He's mentioned a few times about wanting to be a bigger part of the offense, but usually shoots himself out of those moods. He's never actually gotten below 65 Morale. (He might have gone below this when he was injured, actually.... injuries understandably make players unhappy) That said, let's say Andersen did start to lose morale over his desire for more touches. I'm comfortable making Andersen whatever option I'd have to to make him happy. I'm pretty sure I could balance it. He's a good scorer, it'd work itself out. He's also a very good defender. If Andersen left, I'd have this guy who teases 45% from deep on occasion replaced with a guy who does sub 20. That would be Tiggs. Saramago (Who I left as a Power Forward, after some consideration) is not ready to step in as a regular backup, let alone as a starter.

The Case Against Andersen
His offense is somewhat superfluous. Tiggs will absolutely make me frustrated and furious, but is... probably....? fine to step in as a starter. There's a chance I couldn't handle his wanting more touches, but he seems to frequently talk himself out of it without me even needing to do anything. (To put it a simpler way, I've never had to step in)

The Case for, Specifically, all three of those guys

We are a championship contending team and really should remain that way for the foreseeable future. We won a championship with a worse version of this starting five. This coach, this system, Reeves' unexpected but very welcome jump----the Honu are in position to be a dynasty.

Finally, there's Gilbert Paxson. The first thing I want to say is I was mistaken about his playoff increase---his jump to 12 in last season's playoffs is more impressive now that I can see that he averages about 5 a game instead of 7. Paxson is a late bench rotation player that currently makes about 12 million a year and I could almost certainly convince to take 6. So he'd be willing to take a substantial pay cut to remain on the Honu. He runs the offense from the bench and for the last few years has been the only thing that almost makes the team run when Sonnet sits. He's a reliable hand that does exactly what I need him to, though that isn't much. He seems to step it up in the playoffs for whatever reason.

Front-loaded, back-loaded or flat, at 6 million-ish a year, I wouldn't even notice Paxson's contract.

The Case for Paxson
That thing I just said about contracts. He has a good Assist/Turnover ratio. He's a pass first point guard, which I seem to have difficulty acquiring ever since Gheorghe Filimon left. He's reliable from deep when he needs to be (he's technically classified as a "Sharpshooter" despite his high passing tendencies)

The Case Against Paxson
We almost certainly don't need him. So as small as 6 million is, it could be an overpay. If I'm right about what caused Sonnet's regression this offseason, Paxson has the same injury---a dislocated patella. As an end-of-bench kind of player, that'll actually matter if true. Rasmus Maki will come over next season and is much faster and he is also a better perimeter defender (by the attributes, anyhow). We don't need 4 point guards. We do need another shooting guard---fairly badly, at that---but Paxson is little, and so, unfortunately, are all three of our other point guards (counting Maki). So While Paxson has the necessary skills to be a shooting guard, he doesn't have the necessary size to be one for the Honu.

And finally:
If the Honu choose to stick with the cap space by letting some/all of these guys walk, who could we reasonably sign in the offseason?

Well, the top of the free agency pool would be Alain Sonnet, but I doubt you'd want me to sign him. Ian Erikkson could potentially be gettable, since the Warriors have a second all-star quality small forward on their roster. If they wanted to keep him, they could offer him more money than we can. Jesse Lowe, a 2 time MVP, is up, but he shot under 40% this year before succumbing to injury, so he's looking cooked (though he's still a 92 OVR---I guess he'd still be the very top of the free agency class. He might have been playing with a pre-injury, which I am convinced is a thing in 2k). Zach Cooper and Patric Love would be up for free agency, but I suspect Dallas will max Cooper and Montreal might max Love. Also, both already make over 40 million dollars a year already, so I'd have to pay them more than what I'd be extending Sonnet for anyhow... uh... Boyd Slaughter is definitely gettable. He's somehow a year older than Hugh Andersen, though, and not as good a rebounder or defender, but his offense is even more solid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:siren: VOTING TIME :siren:

Please State how many years (0-4) you would like me to extend each player. (Votes of "0" will be a vote to not extend the player and will not be averaged into the results. If there are more 0s than numbers, I'll just not extend the player. Otherwise, I'll average the numbers above 0. Savvy? Good.

Alain Sonnet
Hugh Morrison
Hugh Andersen
Gilbert Paxson

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Alain Sonnet
Hugh Morrison
Hugh Andersen

and look for the shooting guard you need according to what you alluded to in your case against Paxson.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Alain Sonnet
Hugh Morrison
Hugh Andersen

I don't really know enough to qualitatively add anything useful, but extending these fine folks for 3 years seems good?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Sonnet, Morrison, and Andersen should all be 4 years. Sonnet and Morrison are awesome players taking below-market deals AND front-loaded deals so even if they decline a bit as they reach the end of the deal, the contracts will still be commensurate. Meanwhile, Andersen is young enough that he'll be in his prime throughout the deal and the flat (and below-market) contract means he'll probably be well underpaid throughout the length of the deal.

To me, the only real question here is Paxson. He's a decent rotation guy and the money seems pretty reasonable. I'm going to tentatively suggest 2 years for Paxson. In the short term, it keeps you from creating a hole on your roster so it's probably worth it, especially given that there's no guarantee you could get an equally viable guy for as cheap on the free market. But he's still a backup point guard so no need to go nuts on the length of the deal; just make it a short term one to buy yourself some time to find another option in the next two years.

Also, just wondering: Does 2K model players being comparatively unhappy with contract offers? Like, in a world where you were a dumb GM and offered Sonnet three years at $40 million while Andersen got four years at $50 million, does Sonnet lose morale because wtf I'm better than that guy but you're paying him more. This reportedly happens every so often in the real NBA, but it seems like it might be quite a thing to implement so wondering if it exists or not.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I don't rightly know.

The only things I've seen go into Morale seem to be touches and winning games. Some players get really mad if you lose games. As for touches... well... that's even stupider than I thought.

So watching Andersen throughout the season, he'll bring up touches if he has a few low-scoring games. But.... it has nothing to do with his actual usage. Like, if he takes 5 shots, they're all threes, and he hits them, he's happy. If he takes 12 shots, and misses 9 of them he's unhappy. So it's not actually programmed into who is taking shots, as near as I can tell.

EDIT
And the G-league, of course. Being in the G-league is classified as torture under the UN.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Alain Sonnet 3
Hugh Morrison 4
Hugh Andersen 4
Gilbert Paxson 2

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Aight.

I'm gonna extend Sonnet for 3 years, Morrison and Andersen for 4 years, and Paxson for 2 years, BUT

Since Paxson's vote was evenly split, and Rasmus Maki is coming over in the off-season, I am going to explore off-season trades for both of them to see who I can get a better return on.

Rocky1
Dec 24, 2004
Morand bought me this account to forever remind me that I am his bitch. Also, I will NEVER change this title.
I haven't gotten through all of this, but once I do you'll have another voter. Been a fun ride so far.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Update post, but first:

Rocky1 posted:

I haven't gotten through all of this, but once I do you'll have another voter. Been a fun ride so far.

Welcome aboard! Since you'll have a somewhat different perspective on things, if you felt like I dropped something from earlier in the thread, or have any lingering questions, just let me know, and I'll try to answer.

That, of course, goes for anyone else, too, always.
~~~~~~~~~~~

JustJeff88 posted:

Given the ultra high-tempo offence, how is Honolulu in terms of offensive/defensive efficiency and/or points per possession (made/allowed)? I don't know enough to say if those averages are the same as efficiency. I think that they are.

Well, it's weird. This season, We're pretty middle-of-the-road in both, but as you'll see from last episode's (and this episode's!) standings, our point differential is somehow still quite good, so while I'm not certain how it shakes out, my best guess is we have a superb interior defense. We're about 12th or 13th in just about every shooting efficiency category---in either direction. But we do have one outlier---we're one of the worst teams in the league for defending against 3 pt shots.

So.... if I had to make a wager, without watching games, I'd say we probably have an elite interior defense. We know what our own PIP (Points in the Paint) is also about 12th or 13th like everything else, but the game doesn't track oPIP. By combining our really bad 3pt defense with our "top half of the league" overall defense, well, we have to defend something well or we wouldn't be in the top half.

Furthermore, Tiggs, Saramago, Andersen, Morrison, and Lawrence all have an oFG% of somewhere south of 45. Which supports this idea. 2pt shots might be less efficient overall than 3s, but they're also more reliable. The AI in 2k seems to be in love with these horrible-shooting big men that accumulate rebounds (because they miss shots). Meanwhile, I see a league full of this nonsense and then Hugh Andersen who might have a 45%/45% season or even a 50%/45% season, and I'm extremely reluctant to let that slip away. That's before you consider the good defense.

tl;dr My best guess is: We take away easy shots, but are one of the few teams that actually also takes them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 27: 2042-2043 Part 3: End of Regular Season

I extended all four players. The bad news is, as the season went on, I started to believe that Sonnet may actually be regressing---not in production, but in attributes---which is really weird, since he's not supposed to for another couple of years. Actually, he wound up bumping his assists per game up to 8 while keeping his scoring numbers and percentages the same. So, again, I'm not super worried about him becoming bad or anything, but I'm pretty annoyed that he's getting worse early. (And I have hosed with sliders anyhow to make them less egregiously stupid---2k does the lazy thing and makes almost every stat go down across the board at a very similar level by default. I have it set up to penalize athleticism significantly more than things like passing, IQ related stats, and so on. People who have read the earlier seasons might remember the difference between what happened to Delon Wright and Mfiondu Kabengele. One relied almost entirely on sagacity, and the other on athleticism, and their declines played out very, very differently.)

The good news is, (well, one, production didn't decline but also) our assistant GM, Abraham Navarro still rules.

The starting figure I got for Sonnet was about 4 million less than his asking price, which makes a difference when you're also losing another 5% every year. I thought that he'd need a 4 year deal to get under 40 million, but Navarro convinced him to go low enough to do it in 3.

Similarly, Morrison also agreed to a starting figure about 4 million less than what he demanded.

I couldn't get Andersen to budge much, but then again, Andersen's asking price was considerably lower than I anticipated---even with this being a low production year for him (comparatively), I'm shocked he asked for a pay cut when he's only 26. What a guy.

Paxson (Who is a 77 OVR, he is injured in this picture) got his 2 year deal, too. This is small enough and tradable enough I'm not super worried. He's useful for the short term, and like I said, I'll explore options for both him and Rasmus Maki in the offseason---maybe to try and land a reasonable tertiary Shooting guard or rebounding center.

Clayton Wingate did not get invited to the Rising Stars Challenge, which seriously annoyed me--he's had a terrific year. Saramago also missed it, but that surprises me less. I still consider him something of a project. Glenn Garrett didn't play nearly enough games for consideration, but I'm digging him so far.

Frederick Reeves was invited to the 3pt Shootout but did not win. One of Montreal's players did, but for the life of me I can't remember who.

In the All Star game, Reeves and Morrison's team came up short, with Dwight Dixon winning yet another All-Star MVP.

The hated Nuggets pull this move, which is essentially a surrender and an indication that they're going to rebuild. Popov is a 92 OVR. He's not the most valuable member of their team (They have a back-court of Lyons and Dunn) but he's almost certainly the one the AI thinks is best. Trying to pry a 90+ player from the AI requires pretty extreme circumstances so this is a big move. Poor Casey Daniel is probably cooked, though. I think he was actually picked up for cap space (to the tune of something like 50 million dollars)

I don't have a lot of screen grabs for individual games this update---this is not an indicator that Honolulu fell off, (as we'll see) but that things sort of... evened out? For lack of a better word. If I showed every victory or pretty good game, it'd get samey, really fast. Anyhow, this jewel from Hugh Morrison was one of the bigger exceptions.

Sonnet was upset he didn't make the all-star team, despite his early season injury, and after the break, I started seeing a lot of games like this, where he'd have over 20 points and anywhere from 12-14 assists. It's enough that, again, his assists jumped from 7.5 at the break, to over 8 at the end of the season. The increase in production is especially refreshing when compared to the OVR being listed as 90 instead of 92 or 91 now.

Reeves falls back to earth, being "Only" in the top 20 of all players for PER, EWA and Gamescore, instead of where he was at the half, but that's still pretty elite. This was probably his best game at the end of the season.

FINAL STANDINGS
West

Like I said, our output didn't really go down in the second half of the season. I think this maths out to like, a game (maybe two games?) behind our pace set at the half. It's good for third in the conference and we're tied with the best team in the East. The Kings had one of the largest playoff droughts, but I don't know if they, or someone else, was the team tied with the Trail Blazers. Nonetheless, the Trail Blazers are the current active playoff drought, having not made it since 2034. This is despite them having arguably the best player in the league for most of the last decade. My god, the coaching staff of the Trail Blazers is a dismal failure. Between losing two starters and their former MVP going down partway through the season with an injury, the Ravens bottomed all the way out. Still not sure what the hell happened to Phoenix. The Neon are making some good improvements.

Back East, the reigning champions put on a season closer to their real power level. On the other end of the Spectrum, Chicago is clearly committed to tanking, but for the life of me, I cannot tell you what they're trying to grab in the draft. (Amusingly, the expected #1 pick is compared to "Draymond Green" but all his strengths are about shooting and all his weakness are about defense, so I'm not sure how he's supposed to be Draymond at all.)

AWARDS

Hey, they got one right.
I feel like 2k grossly overestimates the value of rebounding for calculating awards, especially the league MVP award, but in this instance, at least, Logan has very good scoring numbers and percentages. Logan's line looks like an acceptable MVP's line, which honestly, the Jesse Lowe ones made me feel like they were stretches, and the Teddy Vaughn one just looked fuckin' stupid. (Vaughn, the third best power forward on his team, is mad that he is not league MVP) Anyhow, with Balidis being injured for a good chunk of the season, Logan finally feels like he has lived somewhat up to the lofty standards he was drafted with. Maybe he was never the next Hakeem, but he won an MVP with the team that drafted him. Maybe someday we'll be looking at #1 picks and saying they'll be the next Darrell Logan. As if just anyone could.
I get really frustrated by the game's choices for things like all-star teams and all-nba selections... not just for my own players. Logan has very consistently been one of the top players in the league. And yeah, some of that is how ridiculously stacked the league is at center, but.... oh, man. This man is a hall-of-famer. The MVP makes me a little less worried about him.

EDIT
Some of my complaining and my special bonus post probably might make people think Vaughn won MVP---no. The AI really did select Logan here.

Before you see those numbers and accuse me of lying about the draft class being bad, Kasparov here was drafted two or three years ago and is a 26 year old "rookie". Still, it's nice to see the Timberwolves get something going for them after being relegated to the more dangerous conference.

OK, you know what, I'm fuckin' stumped. I have no idea. None. Whatsoever. For how the AI calculates DPOY. Have I ever even encountered Barry in the playoffs? Maybe when he was on New Orleans?! At any rate, he's probably the best defender of all time, at least, according to the AI, and I have no idea what he actually does, defensively.
The thing is, though.......
The guys on the all-defense teams tend to actually be really good at defense. Not just by attributes or recorded stats or whatever---I've gone up against a few of them and it sucks. I've been mad that guys like Sasha Bilic and Aaron Payne were never once recognized here, or on the all-defense team but... at least compared to all-stars and all-NBA players, the players they do select seem to be good fits. (Payne, once again had the second lowest oFG% in the league over on the Celtics)

Any year you bring home two trophies is a good year.

2k with rare, rare exceptions gives this to the coach with the best record, regardless of other circumstances, but here, I feel it makes a ton of sense. Utah took an enormous leap from the previous year, there's a lot of different little reasons going why they're good, (Including Bruno Jukic somehow agreeing to come off the bench where he's more productive.... how the hell did the AI manage that ego?!) bringing that into one cohesive whole is absolutely something that would generally net someone a coach of the year---to say nothing of the sheer jump in record.

All NBA First Team

Catinella tried to shut me up hard for taking him out of the all-star game. The back half of his season was a rampage. But you know what, Gerardo? Too little, too LATE.

Second Team

Hood "replaces" Teddy Vaughn---in actuality, Hood is the guy I think probably would have been like, second-place in MVP voting in the real world---only missing it because he's a very new star. But you know, while he was close in production to Dixon and Mathies, I didn't find anything egregious about him behind behind them---he was, however, originally on the all-NBA 3rd team, which is nuts. Again oFG% is nowhere near the full story of defense, but if you're having one of the best all-round seasons of all players anyhow and your team has the best record, and your team by far has the best defense, and then, on top of all of that, you, yourself, have the best oFG% on the team while also having the highest usage on the team...................................... ...........look, he definitely got snubbed from all-defense team honors, but that is definitely someone in the conversation for MVP. I'm gonna make a side post just bitching even more about Teddy Vaughn. My god.

Third Team

JP Reece, Teddy's teammate, replaces Hood, who replaced Vaughn. I've played Reece in the playoffs on the Spurs several times (and am about to see him again this year!), and not only were his numbers way better than Teddy's, I know for a fact he's a goddamn menace. Just promotions all around. If I were thinking clearly, I would have also replaced Batista with someone, because like hell was his season good enough. I could see a player on the worst team still making all NBA, if they were clearly better than everyone else. Batista had a good, but not spectacular, season. I'm sure I could have found another forward that put up 20/10 on a team that didn't only win 19 games. I have a "No replacing all-star starters" policy that I am going to keep, because those are voted for by fans, and fans have frequently overrated certain players. But I regret not making Reece an All-Star this season.

All Defense First Team

Burn forever in hell, coaching staff of the Portland Trail Blazers. (What an "amusing" coincidence)

I'm glad Rollins is here, because if someone on the Jazz wasn't recognized, I would have had to replace someone else with Hood and, again, I have no idea how to accurately do that. All of these guys that I have seen in action are legitimately really good defenders.

Rookies 1

Some of these guys were even drafted this year!

Rookies 2

Floyd Lydon making it on a team as good as the Jazz speaks volumes. Again, coach Peterson had to tie a lot of things together to make this Jazz team so good. I'm really glad Wingate made it. I never saw him on the rookie race board.

And while not eye-popping, the consistent numbers, especially the shooting, really felt like a guy who should be acknowledged as one of the best rookies of the year. And now that he's had an entire season in the G-league he's (probably) no longer planning to murder me!

I'm gonna bury you, Teddy, you fraudulent son of a bitch.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 29, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Is there anyone that you can acquire and/or anything that you can do tactically to shore up the terrible 3pt defence? In a league as 3-happy as the modern NBA, that seems like a major problems.

I was really afraid that Sonnet would regress despite what the game's information told you. Is there any way that you can compensate for a loss of athleticism by having him pass more and shoot less? That approach seems like it would mitigate dwindling athleticism.

Also, who do you think is the favourite going into these playoffs? It's okay to say the Honu if you think that to be true, but we shouldn't assume that it's Utah just because they have the best record. NBA playoffs aren't quite like MLB where regular season record means virtually nothing, but the playoffs really is a new 1/5 of a season and the best regular-season time/#1 seed is not necessarily the favourite to win it all.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
THEODORE DOUGLAS VAUGHN. Fallen son of the Honu. Self-important snake that hatched from a turtle's egg. Pestilential, weeping sore on the supple buttocks of basketball. You will ANSWER me.

By what right do you assume you should be the league MVP?

False prophet! Deceiver! Perhaps, perhaps I could hold my nose for you in the last two seasons, but no longer. I have no more ground to give.

Let us not speak of the league yet, rapscallion. Remora. Thief of glory. Let us merely take a look at your own team.

Speak to me of how your putrescent shooting contribution outweighs the production of JP Reece, a blade perhaps even deadlier from the years its been overlooked. How many other would be all-stars have had their lights snuffed out by your screaming, brainless fanatics, that tear at their hair and clothes and eyes as they demand glory in your name?

Justify yourself beyond your teammate, Ed Hickman, the overzealous. He has many of your most loathsome habits, but even he is not too much of a coward to go into the post.

Justify yourself beyond Boyd Slaughter, a deserving first selection, but you, fiend, are part of the chorus screaming wicked lies and pushing him down and down. If he is a bust, then what, pray tell, are you?

Do I hear a desperate shriek of a cornered rodent crying, "But I rebound twice as well. And my assists! Just look at my assists!" Pitiful. Very well, sinner. Slime mold. Stink on the rear end of the Naismith Hall of Fame. Your insistent hubris demands answer? THEN HEAR ME:

You want me to notice your starting point guard and realize "He doesn't pass! The responsibility must fall to Teddy---why, he's truly a hero for making the sacrifice of running a team." But I see farther, drat you. I see all your crimes.

Tell me, monster. Malcontent. Man of the hour, but Man's Final Hour. Why is Byrd your starting point guard? I declare the truth: It is to assuage your paper-thin, gossamer ego.

LOOK, drat YOU, UPON THE PER 36 MINUTE STATS OF YOUR BENCH POINT GUARDS. Inhuman. Ingrate. Incensing insipid insensitive insolent imposter.

Dare you to tell me this man can't run a team?

Or this one?

You still dare?

HOW ABOUT THIS ONE, THEN. Wretch. Retch-inducement. Wreck. Irrelevant, irreverent reverend of False Ball Religion.

HOW MANY HEROES HAVE DIED BECAUSE OF YOUR UNASSAILABLE VANITY?!

And still. Still, a mewling kittenlike voice begs me to consider defense. Then consider it considered.

And I admit, it's good, but is it appreciably better than Slaughter? No. Is it better than Hickman at all? Not in the least.

And why, little Teddy, why, is it if your defense is so good, if your other contributions are so great, why is your team over a point better when either of them are on the floor? The devil lives in the details.

I WILL TELL YOU WHY, it is because you have less than one point per weighted shot. It all comes back around to your laughable, lamentable, lachrymal lack of a shooting touch.

You think you're an MVP? BEHOLD, drat you, the only MVPs comparable to you in shooting:

Yours would be better than only one, Teddy-my-boy, and BOB COUSY WAS A GUARD. A guard that played in the nineteen fifties.

You dare, you dare to speak of your rebounds and assists on this level, like it makes up for everything you so obviously lack. LOOK AGAIN, drat you. Your 16 rebounds is impressive, but those that scored as little as you tended to average twenty four or twenty five. You think your assists matter? Tell me, which of these men are you a better passer than? I will wait for your lackwitted response. And should you think I've forgotten Hickman and once again acknowledge your defense, do you dare to posit your defense is enough to match the all-time greats? That, it will make up for everything else? Think carefully, Teddy. Think long and hard. Because we already know you manage nearly ten rebounds a game less than old man Russell, so you want me to believe you make up for this deficit with defense. Against Bill Russell?

THIS Bill Russell?

I defy you. I spit on you. I curse you even as I curse myself for having a part to play in your blasphemous upbringing. I can't keep you out of the Hall of Fame, but I can make your crimes known, Theodore Vaughn. I can make sure the people know. As God is my Witness, though I can't shut up your brainwashed legions of followers, I can still pity them. And I can make sure everyone not poisoned by your serpent's tongue knows you for what you are. LISTEN TO ME and know that I know you for what you are.

And Thus, I so name you, before God and the League:

FRAUD.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 28, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

JustJeff88 posted:

Is there anyone that you can acquire and/or anything that you can do tactically to shore up the terrible 3pt defence? In a league as 3-happy as the modern NBA, that seems like a major problems.

I was really afraid that Sonnet would regress despite what the game's information told you. Is there any way that you can compensate for a loss of athleticism by having him pass more and shoot less? That approach seems like it would mitigate dwindling athleticism.

Also, who do you think is the favourite going into these playoffs? It's okay to say the Honu if you think that to be true, but we shouldn't assume that it's Utah just because they have the best record. NBA playoffs aren't quite like MLB where regular season record means virtually nothing, but the playoffs really is a new 1/5 of a season and the best regular-season time/#1 seed is not necessarily the favourite to win it all.

Theoretically, I could trade for someone since the trade deadline was abolished, but I'm not sure it's a good idea going into the playoffs---last thing I want to do is screw with team chemistry when it's as high as it is. The other thing is, giving up a lot of threes is somewhat part-and-parcel to the Seven Seconds or Less offense. It's certainly not the only thing that's causing it, but it's definitely one of the larger causes.

As far as instructing Sonnet to pass more and shoot less... well. Not really. Not without doing cheaty things. There's very oblique ways I can do this without just editing him---I can assign someone else as the team's primary, secondary, or tertiary options. I could also take away "Roles" from him from the playbook. But.... Like, his close, midrange, and long range shooting is 87/98/98. That's out of 99. And, in fact, two of those were 99 last season. He has quite a ways to go before his shooting really falls off, for all that I wouldn't put it past 2k to have some other asinine hidden number that governs that to a higher degree.

As for the Favorites, honestly, I like the Heat's chances to repeat. They're really deep, and their starters aren't exactly pushovers either. 2k tends to be incredibly swingy with its RNG in the playoffs though, so it's kind of a crapshoot for who winds up in/winning the finals. If the Hawks don't get absolutely bullrushed, they also are always a threat, just by virtue of Radu-ing people. I definitely like our odds for coming out of the West, and in the real world, we'd be my pick---the Jazz don't have a lot of continuity. In the simulation, they might be a threat. I'm not worried about the Warriors at all.

So my very not-scientific opinion is, the four most likely champs, in no order, are ourselves, the Heat, The Hawks, and the Jazz.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Veryslightlymad posted:

Theoretically, I could trade for someone since the trade deadline was abolished, but I'm not sure it's a good idea going into the playoffs---last thing I want to do is screw with team chemistry when it's as high as it is. The other thing is, giving up a lot of threes is somewhat part-and-parcel to the Seven Seconds or Less offense. It's certainly not the only thing that's causing it, but it's definitely one of the larger causes.

As far as instructing Sonnet to pass more and shoot less... well. Not really. Not without doing cheaty things. There's very oblique ways I can do this without just editing him---I can assign someone else as the team's primary, secondary, or tertiary options. I could also take away "Roles" from him from the playbook. But.... Like, his close, midrange, and long range shooting is 87/98/98. That's out of 99. And, in fact, two of those were 99 last season. He has quite a ways to go before his shooting really falls off, for all that I wouldn't put it past 2k to have some other asinine hidden number that governs that to a higher degree.

As for the Favorites, honestly, I like the Heat's chances to repeat. They're really deep, and their starters aren't exactly pushovers either. 2k tends to be incredibly swingy with its RNG in the playoffs though, so it's kind of a crapshoot for who winds up in/winning the finals. If the Hawks don't get absolutely bullrushed, they also are always a threat, just by virtue of Radu-ing people. I definitely like our odds for coming out of the West, and in the real world, we'd be my pick---the Jazz don't have a lot of continuity. In the simulation, they might be a threat. I'm not worried about the Warriors at all.

So my very not-scientific opinion is, the four most likely champs, in no order, are ourselves, the Heat, The Hawks, and the Jazz.

Thanks for letting me know. We'll see how your picks play out.

We're about 23/24 seasons in; the max is 80, correct, which would just take the sim into the next century? Not sure why there is a limit; it's not as if the game has to evolve to simulate zero-gravity basketball or holographic balls.

That MVP choice was putrid, I agree. His shooting was appalling and it's a real slap in the face.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 29, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
He only won MVP the year I put in Paciani. He's MAD he didn't win MVP. But the game "only" wanted him on the All-NBA second team where I put Hood. Logan won legitimately.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

We're about 23/24 seasons in; the max is 80, correct, which would just take the sim into the next century? Not sure why there is a limit; it's not as if the game has to evolve to simulate zero-gravity basketball or holographic balls.
I'd guess it's primarily to limit the amount of records the game has to deal with updating and remembering. I'm also guessing that 80 years is already way beyond what most people run their sims for.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
80 feels pretty arbitrary. Why not use a rounder number, like 50 or 100? But then, this is 2k20, and 80 years would go TO a nice, round number, so maybe that was the reasoning.

Anyhow, it gives me a somewhat unrealistic goal to shoot for so I can work on this thread and not my, frankly, insane idea for a sequel.

EDIT
And, for all that I'm aiming for the full 80, I fully suspect something in the game or my PC will break before I can achieve that mark. I'm not gonna relocate the Honu, so, say, if the game deletes my assets and I can't redownload them because 2k20 is no longer supported. As an example.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 29, 2021

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

MagusofStars posted:

I'd guess it's primarily to limit the amount of records the game has to deal with updating and remembering. I'm also guessing that 80 years is already way beyond what most people run their sims for.

dollars to donuts something breaks in the sim in years 81+ and they couldn't figure out what it was and/or how to fix it; as you guessed, it's probably a memory overflow & it's easier to just say "yknowwhat, cap at 80 seasons" than it is to reconfigure the saving algorithm to try to squeak out another few years of data & break god knows what in the process.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just bought NBA 2K21 on Switch because it was :fivecbux: To be honest, I only bought it because they added some interesting new classic teams.

Veryslightlymad posted:

He only won MVP the year I put in Paciani. He's MAD he didn't win MVP. But the game "only" wanted him on the All-NBA second team where I put Hood. Logan won legitimately.

I"m embarrassed to say this, but I don't understand much of this. Is 'He' Teddy Vaughn? What do you mean by 'put in' Paciani? How do you know that 'He' is mad (angry, I presume, not insane)? Is Logan the legit MVP this season? Why didn't you post his statline? Again, I'm very confused.

MagusofStars posted:

That makes a lot of sense. I've always wanted to get into the heavy sport sims, like Football Manager or Out of the Park, but I always bounce off of them. Those can go basically forever and go back nearly to the 19th century, but it's a very different type of game of course. In the latter case, I've always wanted to take control of the Expos back in their inaugural season of 1969 and see how long it takes to win it all.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Vaughn's shooting numbers make me wanna barf.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

JustJeff88 posted:

I"m embarrassed to say this, but I don't understand much of this. Is 'He' Teddy Vaughn? What do you mean by 'put in' Paciani? How do you know that 'He' is mad (angry, I presume, not insane)? Is Logan the legit MVP this season? Why didn't you post his statline? Again, I'm very confused.

No worries.

So for all of the end of season awards (Except, infuriatingly, Coach of the Year, the one I most often want to override), I have the option to hit X on my controller and put someone else in and just... give them the award. The same goes for the All-Star game and both the Dunk and three point shooting contests, and probably some other things I'm not remembering.

On a much earlier update the Game decided Teddy Vaughn had won league MVP. This was several seasons ago. At the time, I replaced him with his then teammate Giovenco Paciani, who is a generational basketball talent (and possible time lord).

This season Vaughn was selected to the All-NBA 2nd team by the AI, and Theo Hood was selected to the All-NBA 3rd Team. I found Vaughn's numbers insultingly gross, so I replaced Hood with JP Reece and then replaced Vaughn with Hood. In effect, kicking Vaughn off the all-NBA teams altogether. This is the second time I've taken direct action against Vaughn. He's also the only player I've deliberately taken action against. I frequently change the rookie teams because they glitch and the game sometimes assigns awards to guys who literally never played, but if I change an all-NBA team, it's because I'm taking action for a player---for instance, I wasn't 100% convinced Theo Hood would have been named to one this year at all. If he wasn't, I would have stuffed him on at least the third team, but I'd have looked at all six forwards and determined where to stuff him and then scooch people down accordingly. I've only done this in extreme circumstances. Teddy Vaughn's line this year qualified. I have never done this for one of my own players. (I've certainly considered it, but every time it's come up, there's someone who deserves it more, and I have given the honor to them. If I ever do add one of my own players, I will justify my decision by posting the stats. Kind of like how I do for the all-star game.)

As for the complaining, yeah. It is something they do. If I ever mention someone complaining, it's because I check their player card and see it. Here's Vaughn's player card right now.

As you can see, he's both mad that he got left off of the All-NBA teams (because I took him off the teams) and because he wasn't made league MVP (And I didn't take him off league MVP----this season. Logan actually won.)

Logan's stat line is listed on his MVP card in the proper update.

quote:

AWARDS

Hey, they got one right.
I feel like 2k grossly overestimates the value of rebounding for calculating awards, especially the league MVP award, but in this instance, at least, Logan has very good scoring numbers and percentages. Logan's line looks like an acceptable MVP's line, which honestly, the Jesse Lowe ones made me feel like they were stretches, and the Teddy Vaughn one just looked fuckin' stupid. (Vaughn, the third best power forward on his team, is mad that he is not league MVP) Anyhow, with Balidis being injured for a good chunk of the season, Logan finally feels like he has lived somewhat up to the lofty standards he was drafted with. Maybe he was never the next Hakeem, but he won an MVP with the team that drafted him. Maybe someday we'll be looking at #1 picks and saying they'll be the next Darrell Logan. As if just anyone could.
I get really frustrated by the game's choices for things like all-star teams and all-nba selections... not just for my own players. Logan has very consistently been one of the top players in the league. And yeah, some of that is how ridiculously stacked the league is at center, but.... oh, man. This man is a hall-of-famer. The MVP makes me a little less worried about him.

His really basic stats are on the grey bar at the bottom.
Compared to Vaughn, he averaged 7 more points, two less rebounds, one more assist and 10 percent better shooting---and we know Logan played good defense because he was on the all-defensive second team. AND Logan won more games in a tougher conference. So even if Vaughn's numbers were MVP type numbers, Logan is basically better than Vaughn in every aspect of the game, except ever so slightly "worse" at rebounding, and that's probably offset by just how many of Vaughn's rebounds are a result of his own abysmal shooting.

But Vaughn, in game, was complaining about not winning MVP even though even the game would have only put him in the second team. He's legitimately just kind of a shithead who overvalues himself, even as the game overvalues him, too.

Vaughn thinks his season posted in the litany of curses bonus update, was better than that of either of these guys:

If the East wasn't so bonkers stacked, Mathies would have won MVP. Probably. It'd have been pretty close. Logan's season was still great.

One person not complaining about being snubbed for awards, when he absolutely could be upset, is our own sixth man and golden boy, Clay Calloway

While Calloway definitely had a worse season than the guy who did win, he's was almost certainly good enough to be in the running and players in the running for an award, or who think they're in the running for an award, tend to get mad when they don't win it. So Calloway not being mad here tells me a little about his personality. Something good, too.
EDIT
The "Laid Back" seems to support this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LobsterMobster posted:

Vaughn's shooting numbers make me wanna barf.

I want to say somewhere in the bonus litany of curses update, I called him a retch-inducement.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 29, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Thank you for clearing that up. Personally, I would have favoured Dixon for MVP. At the least, I hope that he on it last year. Good grief, the guy averaged 32 and 10 last year and was an excellent shooter. If he didn't win, someone else had better have had an even more incredible season. As a major example, Larry Bird had his best season as a pro in '88. He posted 30/9/6 and shot 50/40/90 with 1.6 spg thrown in. It took a 35 ppg season and a healthy does of 'voter fatigue' for Jordan to win it on an inferior Bulls team. This year's MVP looks kind of ordinary next to Dixon, but all I am saying is that, if Dixon didn't at least win it last year, I assume that new head coach Luka Doncic de-aged himself 15 years somehow last season and had another 40/8/10 campaign.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

JustJeff88 posted:

Thank you for clearing that up. Personally, I would have favoured Dixon for MVP. At the least, I hope that he on it last year. Good grief, the guy averaged 32 and 10 last year and was an excellent shooter. If he didn't win, someone else had better have had an even more incredible season. As a major example, Larry Bird had his best season as a pro in '88. He posted 30/9/6 and shot 50/40/90 with 1.6 spg thrown in. It took a 35 ppg season and a healthy does of 'voter fatigue' for Jordan to win it on an inferior Bulls team. This year's MVP looks kind of ordinary next to Dixon, but all I am saying is that, if Dixon didn't at least win it last year, I assume that new head coach Luka Doncic de-aged himself 15 years somehow last season and had another 40/8/10 campaign.
Yeah, I'm very comfortable with Dixon, Mathies, or Logan. Or Radu. Chase Alexander had a great year and did a lot to boost a usually middling team.

Dixon missed the playoffs last year, which hasn't always been disqualifying, but it's everything but disqualifying. Last year's MVP was Jessie Lowe

Who at the time had similar numbers to Vaughn, but I really gotta stress that 8% better shooting. Like, 17/17 on 46% on what was (at the time) the league's best team looks a lot better than Teddy's griping about 13/16 on 38% on the sixth best team in the weaker conference. The gap between the two is huge.

There's no doubt in my mind the AI would have actually given Dixon the MVP last season if he had made the playoffs, though. I've seen it make some egregious mistakes on these awards, but if there's someone with over 30 PER, they tend to win MVP unless there's a second player with over 30 PER or they spent a significant amount of time with injury.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 29, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Dixon is very possibly the best player in the league (and is the best player in the league by OVR) but I wanna take a moment to highlight Donald Powers.

Remember. The Portland Trailblazers, under their coaching staff of war criminals, hasn't gotten to the playoffs in nine seasons. For six of those, they have had Donald Powers.

Powers has also made three all-defense teams.

What the hell do you even do against that? You certainly can't foul it. 98% from the line is a bad year for Powers. I was elated to see him off the Suns, but I assumed, I assumed that just meant that the Trailblazers were always going to be in the playoff hunt.

But where there's a will to fail, there's a way to fail.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Can we just fire those two coaches and replace them with mediocre ones? I feel bad for Donald Powers.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
He actually won a championship with the Hawks way back in 2033 when Trae Young was still in the league.

He's back up to his Play for Winner being "Very Important" so apparently it goes back up over time. Just, none of my players have gone on a long enough drought for me to see it. :clint:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
How is the team around him, though? It can't entirely be coaching; there have been tons of great players on teams that never amounted to much because they didn't have any help. I know that league marketing wants to make everyone believe that it's all about the stars and everyone else is just a placeholder, but it's a team game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

How is the team around him, though? It can't entirely be coaching; there have been tons of great players on teams that never amounted to much because they didn't have any help.
Not to this extent though. He's a perennial MVP candidate and future first-ballot Hall of Famer in his prime. Dudes like that very rarely miss the playoffs in consecutive years, never mind for a half-decade straight, even if the surrounding team is subpar. Maybe the team won't amount to anything in the playoffs, but having a player this good and not even being able to squeeze out "being in the top 50% of teams" is just completely unprecedented.

Seriously, look at the longest playoff droughts for Giannis, LeBron, Curry, Durant, AD, Kobe, Iverson, etc. The only gaps longer than a couple years are either (a) first arriving in the league and still developing or (b) old and washed. Powers going from age 26 to age 32 without sniffing the playoffs is almost impossible.