Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Me too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

For my next pick, I want an artist that really excels in creating rich worlds, both fantastical and relatively urban:

Carl Barks, creator of Scrooge McDuck, Disney Comics extraordinaire, and Indiana Jones-inspiration will be bringing his talents from Duckburg to Riverdale to pump some much-needed life into the Archie Comics of the 1970s.

What I like about Barks is his world-building, his attention to detail, and the expressiveness of his faces despite their cartoony nature:

(Barks' self-portait looking a little Hiram Lodge there)

If there's a complaint about the simple and clean nature of the Archie Comics' house style through the 60s and 70s, its that it can feel a little flat and sterile. Barks is the counter to that, but also able to create art that is fun and visually exciting without being overwhelming or cluttered.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm shocked you haven't taken James Allen yet!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Madkal is up, with Bingo Bango on deck.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Ladies and gentlemen.....and Dark Horse if you are listening and need a new boutique line to publish some critically acclaimed comics (just tell DC). For our next pick we are going to bring a man whose wacky, satirical, sardonic, humourous style will remind many of Vertigo's roots. He has produced some of the most famous cult classic of the 70's, finding a fresh spin on old characters and creating many of his own that have stood the test of time. Whether it is the strange storytelling style found in Omega the Unknown, or the witty insightful look on humanity as seen through a white duck from another galaxy, our man creates stories with a mix of humanity and irreverence. We are proud to announce the arrival of.....

Steve Gerber

Now despite his skills at creating new and wonderful characters we have come to an understanding that his first task will be writing a classic, wacky DC character (unless Marvel is interested in perhaps purchasing an influential mature reader focused comic book line). For his first title under Vertigo, Gerber will be writing another cult classic character. A character very much an item of it's time. A character that took its influences from classic horror stories and transformed them into a hippie trip.

We are talking about....Brother Power the Geek

Now will Gerber keep Brother Power in the 70s? Will he bring him into a modern era? Will he kill Brother Power in the first issue? Well I guess we would have to wait and see (in other words please don't cancel this title before it comes out, DC)

(author's note: Imgur is being wonky otherwise I would actually post some more pictures)

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

For my next pick, this is one that I would very much like to see manifest itself as a real thing, so here's hoping that by putting that good goon energy out there in the world I can make it a reality.

I haven't been reading Kill Six Billion Demons Tom Parkinson Morgan for very long, but it's quickly become on of my favorites. It's the story of a girl who finds herself suddenly shoved in the the realm of the supernatural and surreal, forced to, you know, kill a lot of demons. The art is fantastic and weird and even if half the time I have no idea what's going on, I'm really happy to be along for the ride.

K6BD is a masterful piece of world-building and I think Morgan is this natural heir to Steve Ditko's Doctor Strange and Marvel is please to draft him as the new artist on the book!

Obviously Morgan favors a darker palate, but I feel like he'd bring a fresh eye to the famously trippy art of Ditko.

Sorry I don't have a lengthier post in me today, maybe I'll come back and add a little more about this one later.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Endless Mike posted:

I'm shocked you haven't taken James Allen yet!

"And now, new writer/artist for Betty & Veronica - Guy Gilchrist!"

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Vargo posted:

"And now, new writer/artist for Betty & Veronica - Guy Gilchrist!"

Alan Moore's Brother Rock

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

With the last pick of the fourth round and the first pick of the fifth, Avatar press is proud to announce the return of one of its flagship lines under a brand new creative team. That's right, Crossed is returning, with art by the incredible Sophie Campbell and words by the inimitable Al Ewing!

Created by Garth Ennis and Jacen Burroughs, Crossed explores a take on the zombie apocalypse where, rather than becoming mindless flesh eaters, the infected retain their intellect but are compelled to carry our their most evil impulses. Previously this too-often led to extreme gore, violence, and depravity without a deeper examination of the impacts of such a disaster on the human psyche and society. As we've seen from how the world has adapted (or not) to Covid-19, the epidemic apocalypse would likely be much more complicated and needs a deft hand to explore.

Sophie Campbell

Sophie Campbell (Wet Moon, Glory, Jem and the Holograms) has the range needed to capture all the facets of horror in a Crossed world. From facial expression to explosions of violence, everything she draws has weight and impact. She does not shy away from depictions of the grotesque, and imbues them with a savage beauty.

Al Ewing

Al Ewing has been a rising star at Marvel over the past several years and we have targeted him based on his incredible work on the Eisner-nominated Immortal Hulk, in which he's explored the more horrific aspects of the Jade Giant. He is the perfect person to engage with Crossed on a deeper, more thoughtful level while amping up the fear and disgust we want to instill in our readers.

Together this team will show a new, terrible, twilight for humanity as they explore the world of the Crossed.

(Sorry for the shorter than usual post, I'll see if I can beef this up more later)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hey. Bingo Bango is up with Madkal on deck.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Shoot, skip me for the moment I'll post my pick later tonight or tomorrow morning but I don't want to hold anyone up!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well looks like it is me again.

Comic book publishers/owners, players/writers-artists, commissioner. As you all know Vertigo was the place to go to for modern horror. Whether it came from a frightful scare through the scary monsters featured in Swamp Thing, or the existential dread that permeated through Animal Man, we have always had terror in our thoughts. While going back to our roots, we also look forward to bringing in new, exciting talent to carry our tradition to a new generation, and that is why we are proud to announce the arrival of....

Emily Carroll

You might know Carroll from such works as
Throught the woods, When I arrived at the Castle, and Speak (based on the novel

Her style of cartoonish horror felt like a fresh new take on horror, especially that of the gothic kind, and her short stories felt like a natural fit for a new ongoing House of Secrets book. Right now as it stands, the book will be an anthology horror book with Carroll overlooking the stories, with a rotation of artists and writers to use as she sees fit. We look forward to scaring the bejeezus out of our readers again.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nice pick!

Bingo Bango has a pick to make, but Vargo is up now.

If anyone lurking wants to take over for Skwirl, just say so.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Enough picks have gone by without The Original Writer being picked, it really surprised me. Though I guess everybody already knows about him so picking lesser known people shines a better light on interesting creators that may be flying under the radar.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

Enough picks have gone by without The Original Writer being picked, it really surprised me. Though I guess everybody already knows about him so picking lesser known people shines a better light on interesting creators that may be flying under the radar.

There are a number of people who haven’t been picked who surprise me a bit. In general the only one who i think I missed out on was Karen Berger. Others who were on my radar were far enough away that I clearly wasn’t going to get them.

I know I’m making a conscious effort not to just pick white guys (after my first two pure white guy picks) and it feels like I’m not the only one.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I do like how everyone's picks are fun and surprising, but also totally consistent with what I know of them as posters.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

How Wonderful! posted:

I do like how everyone's picks are fun and surprising, but also totally consistent with what I know of them as posters.

Well then, this should come as no suprise to you that in the 6th round, Archie Comics picks Will Henry, writer/artist/letterer.

I literally can't stop posting enough of Will Henry's strip Wallace The Brave. It's only been in syndication for about two years, and it's already the best art on the newspaper comics page, with warm, fun writing, enjoyable characters, and impeccable comic timing. Just go search through my posts in the Comic Strip Thread for a million examples of how good this is.

As far as I'm concerned, Will can do whatever he wants, but the most obvious match for his skillset would be the Muppet Babies of Archie Comics - Lil Archie. (A property that, as you can see here, the company has never really known what to do with.)

The mid-2000s were when Archie Comics started getting fun and weird and experimental again, so let's put Will there.

(By the way, I'm going to be remote/out of town from Sunday until Wednesday night, so you can skip my picks for the next couple of days, and I'll do multiple when I get back.)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Holy poo poo, that's a good pick.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BREAKING: BLEEDING CRUEL REPORTS THAT BRAND ECHH COMICS HAS FIRED EDITOR IN CHIEF SKWIRL DUE TO DERELICTION OF DUTIES, FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS, AND ALSO SMELLING VERY BAD. ENDLESS MIKE HAS BEEN HIRED TO TAKE OVER HIS DUTIES.

Asked to comment, Endless Mike said "I will take this job very seriously, however, due to our ongoing budget issues, we will be focusing on cartoonists able to write and draw their books. For my first hire, we will be tapping Skottie Young, creator of I Hate Fairyland, co-creator of Bully Wars and Middlewest, as well as adapting The Wizard of Oz for Marvel. We don't know what he has in store for us, but we couldn't be more excited to find out!"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

BREAKING: BLEEDING CRUEL REPORTS THAT BRAND ECHH COMICS HAS FIRED EDITOR IN CHIEF SKWIRL DUE TO DERELICTION OF DUTIES, FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS, AND ALSO SMELLING VERY BAD. ENDLESS MIKE HAS BEEN HIRED TO TAKE OVER HIS DUTIES.

Asked to comment, Endless Mike said "I will take this job very seriously, however, due to our ongoing budget issues, we will be focusing on cartoonists able to write and draw their books. For my first hire, we will be tapping Skottie Young, creator of I Hate Fairyland, co-creator of Bully Wars and Middlewest, as well as adapting The Wizard of Oz for Marvel. We don't know what he has in store for us, but we couldn't be more excited to find out!"

If this was reported by Rich Johnson I will assume it's BS

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The only part I can't confirm is Skwirl's odor.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome, glad to have you join us Endless Mike.

You're up, with 2 additional skips to make whenever.

I'm still trying to figure out what my fourth line will be at Image, but in the meantime I'll build up Joelle Jones' crime / noire line, with Jamie Hernandez, one of the best black and white artists of all time. While I don't know of much he's done in this genre, I think he would be an incredible fit on a crime book like Parker. His characters are realistic but beautiful, his lines are clean, his spotting is about as good as it gets. I think that despite the fact he's primarily an artist / writer, I want him to do story and art, but allow someone else with more experience in the genre to support him on the first couple books he does.

Imprint #1 (Name TBD): Absolutely bonkers cosmic poo poo
Kirby
Steranko

Imprint #2 (Name TBD): Fantasy
Pini

Imprint #3 (Name TBD): Crime / Noire
J. Jones
Jaime Hernandez

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FOR RELEASE JUNE 14, 2020: Brand Ecch Comics is proud to announce our latest exclusive hire, Erika Moen! While Erika's writing has been limited to date, and largely informative or biographical, we feel that her lovely cartooning style, sense of humor, and overall comics sense will be a huge assett for Brand Ecch Comics. Erika is best known for her ongoing webcomic Oh Joy, Sex Toy and her completed webcomic Bucko with Jeff Parker.

(Seriously, go read Bucko)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Shortly after the news of Jaime Hernandez' exclusive contract with Image broke, a devastated Beto announced the cancellation of Love & Rockets, signaling the end of a 40-year collaboration. "It's nothing but... but Hate & Jalopies," he was heard to mutter, slouching down an alleyway with his fists thrust into his pockets, a frayed and tattered Errata Stigmata costume peeking out from the rim of a nearby garbage dumpster. "Nothing but Hate & Rockets, man."

But what's next for beleaguered Beto, cut loose and with a heart full of rage? "I'll show them. I'll show them all. I'll draw a great new comic, where all the ladies are cool and tough and naked, with super spies and cool cars and deceptive depths of interpersonal relationships with an emphasis on deep and hard-earned friendship. And maybe sex robots! gently caress you, Jaime! I'll make my own love! A-and I'll make my own rockets!"

Fantagraphics is proud to announce that Beto Hernandez has agreed to join us from the depths of his self-imposed cosmic exile to helm not one but two titles, each of which we hope will soothe his tormented soul in this time of betrayal.

Modesty Blaise was created by Peter O'Donnell and Jim Holdaway in 1963, and ran in British newspapers until 2001. It's a fast-paced, completely engaging spy narrative anchored by the unflappable and resourceful titular character, who, along with her best friend and sidekick Willie Garvin, embarks on a whole bunch of espionage and action adventures, many of them in a slightly more grounded variation on the basic James Bond/Avengers formula.

Modesty is an ideal Beto character-- a complicated and ruthless woman who has carved out a position of hard-earned mastery amidst the world of men. She's constantly embroiled in violence and intrigue, and often just walks around with nothing on-- a prototype for Luba or Fritz, except with beating peoples' asses in. Here we see her karate chopping a wizard... to death...?

The core of Modesty Blaise though is the relationship between Modesty and Willie, an extraordinary portrait of a close friendship nestled in the pulpiest of mid-century pulp. It's exactly the kind of thing Beto excels at-- the human and even the sentimental smack dab in the middle of the sordid.

Beto will also be leaning into his most outlandish and extravagant sensibilities-- veering away from the neo-noir and giallo tendencies he's often pursued in his non L+R work and more towards the goofy retro SF aesthetic he's occasionally mined in some of his shorter pieces.

He will be undertaking a revamp and relaunch of the cult classic franchise:

Barbarella
Jean Claude Forest's Barbarella ran in the French V Magazine from 1962 to 1964 and shocked readers with its frank but ludic sexuality. Like most of Beto's protagonists, Barbarella fucks. While much of the original run has aged with much less than perfect grace, Beto has always handled fantastic or surreal sexuality with wit and aplomb, and can get as weird as anyone else in the business.

"I am trapped in space now, horny all the time and doomed to a life of fantastic cosmic adventure," the broken-hearted Beto relayed back to Fantagraphic's earth offices. "Barbarella is my destiny."

"Look, I don't like it either," confided Fantagraphics EIC How Wonderful. "Shouldn't Katie Skelly get this one? I mean, Kelly Sue DeConnick already did it. But alas, who am I to turn down a Hernandez."

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 14, 2020

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

drat, I was not anticipating Erika Moen getting snagged! This is what I get for skipping my turn.

So, jumping back into it, Marvel Comics is very excited about the future of the the X-Men franchise, with Tracy Butler! Her comic, Lackadaisy is a juggernaut of a webcomic. Started it 2006, it's won pretty much every award its been nominated for, has been translated, and an animated movie is currently in the works.

"Oh," you might be saying right about now, "I see it's a furry webcomic." Well, it's true that furries have certainly embraced it and Butler has embraced this portion of her fanbase, she's made it clear that the comic was never intended to appeal to furries and the choice to have her cast of character as cats was more for characterization purposes.

The comic itself is set in Prohibition-era St. Louis and is about a struggling speakeasy. It's both funny and dramatic and Butler draws a lot of wonderful genre references from the period - everything from screwball comedies to moodier noir-esque tones.

Why X-Men?
1. I think Butler knows how to balance action with interpersonal drama in a diverse ensemble cast and I think she'd have a lot of fun bring out some of the soap-y tenancies of the X-Men without making it overbearing.
2. I, for one, would welcome the return of Cat-Beast

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

For resident go fast guy, The Flash we have to decided to bring on ONE of One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100 fame.

One's comics take a very basic concept of a hugely overpowered character, and explore how the world around them behaves and how they try to fit in with that world.

They're far from complicated tales, but they work very well in the superhero genre, and after exploring super strength and super esp, super speed is the next logical choice for One.

On art, we're going to bring on Yusuke Murata

Murata is a frequent collaborator with ONE, drawing several of his one shots, as well as the redraw of his One Punch Man webcomic.

There's a good quality with his work on One Punch Man where he can shift from ultra detailed art, to comically cartoony

And he is also able to convey speed in a still image very well, such as in his old Football manga Eyeshield 21

I think that given the two's working history together, they could do some amazing things with The Flash.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Brand Ecch Comics is pleased to announce possibly our biggest signing ever! Adding to our stable of cartoonist is Mike Allred creator of Madman, Red Rocket 7, and The Atomics! Mike is also acclaimed for his art duties on such series as X-Force/X-Statix, FF, and Wednesday Comics! Mike's pop art influence pairs exceedingly well with his offbeat characters, stories, and general vibe that will bring only the finest storytelling to Brand Ecch!

Editor's note: Limiting myself to three Allred pics is extraordinarily unfair. I could post Allred all damned day and still not think it was enough.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
(Humanoids has lost track of time, but has chosen to blame that on time zones.)

Humanoids will take advantage of our pole position in the snake draft, and bring on a complete writer/artist team.

Writer Marjorie Liu

Artist Sana Takeda

You may recognize this powerhouse duo from Monstress, a stunning and modern non-western fantasy. It's one of the very few comics I recommend to just about everyone. (Along with Bone.)

Humanoids continues its trek to own the international market.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

lifg posted:

(Humanoids has lost track of time, but has chosen to blame that on time zones.)

Humanoids will take advantage of our pole position in the snake draft, and bring on a complete writer/artist team.

Writer Marjorie Liu

Artist Sana Takeda

You may recognize this powerhouse duo from Monstress, a stunning and modern non-western fantasy. It's one of the very few comics I recommend to just about everyone. (Along with Bone.)

Humanoids continues its trek to own the international market.

I also recognise them from their X-23 run (which is the best X-23 run to not have Gabby).

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Roth posted:

For resident go fast guy, The Flash we have to decided to bring on ONE of One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100 fame.

ONE was gonna be my pick for Hulk, but if I was going to see him at another published, I'm glad he'd be working on The Flash.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

How Wonderful! posted:

My first pick is an exercise in hedging my bets and nabbing one of the more famous people on my shortlist. It's also, probably, very very predictable. I'm selecting Alison Bechdel to revamp The Addams Family.

I'm just catching up on this now, but this pick is loving transcendent.

quote:

Fantagraphics is proud to announce that Beto Hernandez has agreed to join us from the depths of his self-imposed cosmic exile to helm not one but two titles, each of which we hope will soothe his tormented soul in this time of betrayal.

Modesty Blaise

This pick is a close second.

quote:

The Flash we have to decided to bring on ONE
On art, we're going to bring on Yusuke Murata

And this one, while nearly as brilliant, isn't as jaw-droppingly revolutionary as those two.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Brand Ecch is proud to announce or latest pick to catch up! While our current stable of writer-artists represent some of the best in the industry, we have realized we are missing a true legend of superhero comics. With that in mind, we are proud to announce signing Image co-founder Jim Lee, specifically his early-90s era where his pencils were just a bit sketchier and grittier! Jim Lee exploded into the industry working for Marvel comics on such titles as Punisher and Uncanny X-Men, before leaving to form Image Comics, forever changing the industry and pushing for the rights of creators to their work!

And that should get me back into the rotation.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hey Roth you’re up again.

How Wonderful to follow.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

For the Green Lantern we have decided on an old master of action comics that involve BEAMS

It's time for Akira Toriyama

Toriyama is world famous for his Dragon Ball manga, and in my opinion, it is a master class in depicting action and fighting using still images that make it such a joy to read

For Green Lantern in particular, Toriyama draws some wonderful monsters and space aliens.

So, the idea is simple: In an effort to distance Green Lantern away from being a space cop, we're going to reimagine GL as a space adventure series with Green Lantern stopping various monsters and space fascists. Toriyama will be channeling the version of himself from Dragon Ball's Saiyan saga to the end of the Frieza saga.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Sorry I'm late, it was my wife's birthday and I was busy with a million other things besides. Anyway:

I first discovered Ben Passmore through one of his zines I think, and I recognized his style right away when "Your Black Friend" blew up--

It's fluid and clear, but with an oddness to it that comes out through the surprising elasticity of his forms and the outsized playfulness of his typography:

I love his political cartoons for being so blunt and trenchant-- they don't spare anybody he doesn't see fit to spare, but he still does it in this really effortlessly paced, kind of roundabout way like listening in on a really good conversationalist:

But I was blown away when I found some of his fantasy and sci-fi work later. He could do the sharp, precise social commentary, sure, but he could also go wild and draw pages as outrageously large in scale and as stuffed with dream-like elaboration as anybody in the medium:

While throughout, his works are united by a cool, pastel-tinged palette, austere landscapes, and a sense of scale and distance just being slightly out of joint. I knew I wanted to pick Passmore for this from the beginning, but I struggled to think of what to put him on. I think he'd be great on something like Little Nemo in Slumberland, following McKay in crafting form-defying wonderlands of size and shape while exposing the representational underbelly of that work. I also considered something more down to earth-- a Gasoline Alley revamp--? But that seemed like a waste. It clicked when I saw by chance an article that mentioned both him and George Herriman in the same end-of-the-year retrospective.

George Herriman was one of the all-time greats of the comic strip page, the creator of Krazy Kat in 1913 and a mixed-race artist during a time when the industry was at its most segregated. Krazy Kat is readable as iterations of a number of rangy, loosely modular gags, but it's also a sustained exercise in frustration, release, violence, pleasure, the sublime grammar of getting hit in the head with a brick times infinity.

As ruthlessly austere and and bare the world of Ignatz and Krazy is, it's the product of an artist forced to be preoccupied with the exercise of power. It's impossible to imagine a white artist in the early 20th century making it.

Krazy Kat is also just an astonishing feat of composition, one justly celebrated as much for its experiments in layout and design as for its writing. It's consistently an ornate, satisfying, surprising artifact of its medium.

Basically, Krazy Kat uses a hyper-stylized, stridently unrealistic world to tell stories about tensions urgently present in the world of the reader. Passmore excels at both of these, the plain-faced, bare mechanics of narrative and story that lay out injustice and irony in a deadpan, efficient fashion, and the teeming, surreal aesthetic world of excess and distortion. Both Herriman and Passmore treat the page as a labyrinth-- a field in which the reader might be led by the and before being thrown into a disorder and confusion that's overwhelming but which reveals itself as inevitably designed, comics which teach you how to read them through information overload Krazy Kat as horror comic, or, perhaps, Krazy Kat as the experimental gag strip 2020 demands.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 19, 2020

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
As if this thread wasn't delivering A+ quality content already, way to knock it out of the park! I love Krazy Kat and never even heard of Passmore before, but now I want to track down everything he's done based on your examples. Super inspired choice there.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Passmore wrote “Sports is Hell”, about the current riots, back in February. How he managed that little feat of time travel is something I’m still trying to work out.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love Passmore's stuff. Fantastic artist.

Image is going to bring on another writer / artist. I'm restructuring the lines, and will need to figure that out down the road who actually leads the drat thing depending on who else I pick... but this guy is one of my absolute favorite cartoonists.

Welcome, Michel Fiffe.

His art is super Kirby inspired, but his stories are much more grounded. I'm a big follower of his writing on comics, and the man is extremely into "mainstream" comics. He finds something to love in everything from big 2 hero smash comics to Doomsday Clock (for the same reason, I think), and even when I don't agree with him I can appreciate where he's coming from, as I too love dumb hero comics.

While putting him with Kirby would be logical based on his art, I think Steranko is actually a better fit for him, as they both have a very "real" sensibility and approach to storytelling. Fiffe will be, with Steranko, one of the anchors of a spy line. So that'll leave me with four imprints: fantasy, science fiction, noire / crime, and spy fiction.

I'm sure Fiffe will jump across the fence once in a while too. He can draw some pretty insane stuff, and would be a great fit working with Kirby.

Imprint #1 (Name TBD): Absolutely bonkers cosmic poo poo
Kirby

Imprint #2 (Name TBD): Fantasy
Pini

Imprint #3 (Name TBD): Crime / Noire
J. Jones
Jaime Hernandez

Imprint #4 (Name TBD): Spy poo poo
Steranko
Fiffe

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I got Fiffe mixed up with Jules Feiffer and was scratching my head until I figured it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yep, I could see thinking that and then looking at the art and being real confused. lol

Vargo you’re up with Endless Mike on deck.