Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Sal, it's nice to hear you give credit to the other players that got you where you are right now. It's clear to me how much you relied on strong connections and a friendly attitude from Day 1 to get you to the finals. Can you elaborate further how such a strong social game served you better than a game based on wild betrayal or misplayed advantages? Just to make it clear what set your game apart from the other two finalists.

Cat here is clearly happy to try and sell you short, saying you don't represent anything that Survivor is about. How do you respond to that obvious attempt at creating a narrative?

Cat and Steak, I'm not interested in your input here. I don't know how to be more explicit than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zesty posted:

Cat and Steak, I'm not interested in your input here. I don't know how to be more explicit than that.

you dont need to say this. just direct a question at sal. see: amni's backup question

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Zesty posted:

Sal, it's nice to hear you give credit to the other players that got you where you are right now. It's clear to me how much you relied on strong connections and a friendly attitude from Day 1 to get you to the finals. Can you elaborate further how such a strong social game served you better than a game based on wild betrayal or misplayed advantages? Just to make it clear what set your game apart from the other two finalists.

Cat here is clearly happy to try and sell you short, saying you don't represent anything that Survivor is about. How do you respond to that obvious attempt at creating a narrative?

Thank you for the question. First I actually do take issue with Kupo saying I don't represent anything about Survivor. Plenty of winners have won based off the strength of their social game. I didn't need to make flashy wild moves like Steak because I was comfortable where I was at. I was never on the bottom of anything. I had a good group with Scum 4 and a good group with MMT and Steak that I was content to go to final 6 with. I knew that regardless of what happened after we had triumphantly voted out Pmush and were down to the final 6 that I was setup to go to the final 4 with any combo of people who were left. My connection with MMT got me through the vote last night. I didn't need to do the things that Kupo and Steak did because I did my work connecting with people.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Alright, it is now time for the Survivors to make their closing statements.

Cat, take it away.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
During this entire game, I was never considered a target. And this was in no way because I wasn't a threat, in the way that sal was never a threat, in the way that steak wasn't regarded as a threat. And it's not because I ran around making deals with everybody! It's because I played this game socially -- I talked to you all, I care about y'all. I think that the real connections we have, I think the real conversations that we shared, added together with how strong my strategic game was? I think that should be a winning combination, and I hope at least four of you agree.

I worked hard every day for 39 days, strategically, socially, and "physically" in order to make it to this point. Steak was blindsided over, and over, and over again. Sal had no concept of the game going on around him, and has several times said to me that he doesn't believe he deserves it. I'm here. I'm confident, I'm owning my game, and I'm sorry for any pain I inflicted. I can only hope that I've done enough tonight.

So, that's all I'm gonna say. Vote for Kupo.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't really know what to say that I haven't already said, so I'll try summing up all the points that came out tonight.

I'm sitting next to two players who never made risky moves to upset their status quo, and never had to worry about being on the bottom of their tribe. I'm not saying it's their fault that they never faced significant adversity, but it's just a fact of how the game went. Yes, controlling every single vote in the game is admirable, and I don't want to downplay that. But by nature of my circumstance I had to work my butt off every single cycle just to be sitting here tonight. And I think that deserves to be rewarded. Cat said I put myself into the unfavorable positions, but that's not at all true. I was on the bottom of the alliance of 6 (as evidenced tonight by how neither Sal nor Cat ever described me as being part of that alliance). So my options were to lay back and let myself get carried to a certain point and then picked off, or take a huge risk to benefit my long-term game. Yes, we all know it backfired severely, but the fact of the matter is I'm here right now, and I wouldn't be if I'd let that group pick me off when I got less useful for them. I wasn't about to just *hope* Sal would choose to keep me and flip on them at 6. I took agency into my own hands and it ended up benefiting me in the long run.

If you think I only survived the Boogie TC because of luck, remember that was also the tribal where Cat used her vote eraser. And that advantage was received through just as much of a "luck" factor. So if we were to eliminate all "luck" elements from that tribal, the result still would have been a tie. And in the case of Sandwolf's TC, we had a plan where I was going to be safe. It's too lengthy to bother typing out right now though, and it's not that important.

I also won immunity comps when my life was on the line, which cannot be overstated. I *earned* my spot here by fighting in those comps when I had to.

Yeah, that's about everything that hasn't already been said more succinctly in earlier answers.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I was not prepared for how much more difficult Survivor would be over Big Brother, but I realized early on the reason it was more difficult is because I was having to make decisions in this game. Since I never won Head of Household, I never had to make hard decisions, my vote was binary A or B. I never had to worry about hidden immunity idols, idol nullifiers or vote erasers, just the wrath of Juby.

I think it would be easy to say I was dragged here and that I’m a Goat but I don’t think that is an accurate depiction of my game at all. I originally wanted to play a Poque-like game where I had alliances and sub alliances, but I realized that the easiest way to do that was to fold my alliances together. I brought Steak and MMT into the Scum 4 post merge because I knew how to appeal to them. I knew which people I could bring in that I could build a rapport with and that I could trust to get me to the end. None of us up here are here because we did it with no help, the difference is how we treated the people that we worked with closest.

Steak came into the merge with an obvious target on his back, but we were able to get him through it. We were rewarded with hurricane Steak constantly doing his own thing. I said it best that Steak is a ball of energy that bounces in uncontrolled directions.
Kupo apparently masterminded the whole season, but she did not do it by herself, she did it with her closest ally (that she then cut at final 4 because she was worried, she couldn’t beat them). The person I was honestly most scared about going against was Kupo and I could have cut her last night, but I did not because I believed in staying true to my word with her. Me saying to Kupo that “I don’t deserve it” was me doing to her what she had done to me which is downplay your threat level. Kupo says that I didn’t get votes because I was never a threat and she knows that is not true. I never got votes because of the connections I made in this game.

I easily could have gone at 5 but I trusted that MMT would have my back like she had for most of the game. I had a grand total of 5 votes over the course of this game (2 at combined tribal, 2 at final 5, and one at final 4). The fact that people never took shots at me when they had the chance speaks to the strength of my game. When we did Lightning Round the fact that I was even mentioned over Kupo and Steak shows that I was at least on people’s minds.

I appreciate all your questions and I really enjoyed playing with everyone.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Those are the closing statements.

Jury, for the final time

Just a reminder, you are messaging me who you want to see WIN the game.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

It has been an exhilarating 39 days. I want to thank you players for playing your hearts out, and the jurors for their commitment, and the prejury, although you didn't go far, it is very evident that your actions, and in some cases, inaction, had reverberating effects throughout this game. It's been an honor.

I would live to read these votes out to you.

But

Snipes, Pera, how about we wait until we reach LA to read them out?

~*~*~*~*~ SEE U IN HOLLYWOOD ~*~*~*~*~

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Welcome, everyone.

When I pull these votes out, these are votes for the WINNER.

We've waited long enough, so enough with the delays!

The first vote...

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

one vote CuriousCat to win!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

One vote for Mr. Steak to be crowned Sole Survivor!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

One vote for SalTheBard to be the champion! Nobody getting shut out!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Two votes for sal

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Two votes for CuriousCat!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Three votes for SalTheBard, two votes for CuriousCat, one vote for Mr. Steak, one vote left.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The winner of Awful Survivor: Scum vs Town

CONGRATULATIONS SAL THE BARD YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You did it. :toot:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
:toot:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Sal!

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
sal u done it

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I search the Congrats! for a hidden immunity idol.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
You did it!!!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

THE DISCORDS HAVE BEEN FLUNG OPEN

THE VOTING HISTORY CODEX

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

grats sal!!

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

congrats, sal

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

*CHANGES INTO A NICE FLEECE SWEATER*

So, this was a wild adventure. Trust, betrayal, perserverance, and the loss of hope.

Sal, there were many moments in this game where you were at your wits end. What gave you the strength to keep fighting?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
your mom

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Murmur Twin, what led to you voting Sal when Steak told you he wasn't budging from Final Four? Additionally, as a thought experiment, to the JURY, I want to ask you.

Sal, this applies to you too.

If SAL was in fact successfully voted out at Final Four, and Murmur Twin goes to the end, how do you guys vote when it's Cat vs Steak vs Murmur?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe i actually would have won from split votes. but probably not. hmph, i shoulda at least gotten 2 votes

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

JOHN CENA posted:

Sal, there were many moments in this game where you were at your wits end. What gave you the strength to keep fighting?

I'm sorry I'm really shocked right now. I was very despondent after the Final 6 tribal went awry. I felt like I had lost all my allies. I was felt like I just wanted to get through the next tribal and get through the next vote. I'm an emotional person, I wear my heart on my sleeve (as people will see in my confessional). I knew that every day I was in the game was a chance for me to get further and I just dug in and went with it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

JOHN CENA posted:

If SAL was in fact successfully voted out at Final Four, and Murmur Twin goes to the end, how do you guys vote when it's Cat vs Steak vs Murmur?

i would have voted the same way, i think. i was impressed by cat's game, both while i was alive and during my time on the jury, and while i would be much more likely to vote for mmt than steak or sal, i think the outcome would've been the same

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

JOHN CENA posted:

Murmur Twin, what led to you voting Sal when Steak told you he wasn't budging from Final Four? Additionally, as a thought experiment, to the JURY, I want to ask you.

MMT and Kupo being in the finals was a worse case scenario for me because I had promised each of them my vote at the end. I have to say I would probably vote for Kupo in the end.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

ahhh drat I straight hosed it lol

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

JOHN CENA posted:

Probably still cat, might have gone another way

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

mmt I hosed iiiiiit

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

JOHN CENA posted:

Ultimately, I considered Cat a 100% lock-it-in partner, and so when Steak won immunity, to me it was a given that Sal would go.

I knew that Steak wanted Cat out and Sal wanted me out, so all that needed to happen was two votes on Sal. It didn't even dawn on me that Cat might've turned until I saw my vote revealed first.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

JOHN CENA posted:

Probably steak but I'm not positive I would have connected the dots that cat knew about mmts betrayal, which was the main reason she didn't get the vote. I didn't understand the betrayal with no gain. Cat could have come out on top of any F3 made out of the core group easily in my mind, so betraying me for mmt feels like an unncleccesary risk.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

curiousCat posted:

mmt I hosed iiiiiit

Not my first rodeo! sometimes all you can do is accept the story for what it is :glomp:

Honestly, I'dve voted for you against a lot of other people, but Steak was like the one person who never did anything against me and I couldn't not reward that.