Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

I like this game and asyncs are pretty neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

that must've been 1e which was kind of a mess, 2e iirc is just a 1d6+modifier for initiative. the book is a bit of a mess but as far as the game it's run pretty smooth for me and thats even as an async which has all the PSI sleights + infection poo poo to track

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

First edition had some errata or second printing style things that changed some of that up. Make initiative a ton simpler (broke it down to a basic +modifier that you added to a d10 roll), changed margin of success away from the old way (the amount you rolled under your skill) to blackjack rules (higher is better if you don't go over), stuff like that.

Overall, there is some system mastery stuff going on, but its less "you need to build your guy this way or you're hosed" like in d20 systems, and more that prep/smart play get rewarded. Between gear and doing stuff to give yourself bonuses your character can do a lot of stuff that they're not designed for. Like with no skill in guns you could be rolling at 50 to hit (10 from COOR, 10 from sights on gun, 30 from full auto for hit). Non-combat if you're trying to do crazy stuff you'd do more prep work, so maybe you call in a favor to get a better disguise though fame rep, a favor from criminal rep to sow some rumors, and some infosec to get some inside info, and your infiltration should be getting some nice bonuses (or if its an extended scene maybe a pool of bonus points to spend).

Haven't had a chance to look through 2e myself, but most of the changes I've heard seem good. Moxie spread out to different things gives some granularity to it, some of the math/bonuses and stuff better balanced, new asyncs seem neat.

As far as character creation goes, it's way simpler and streamlined compared to 1e. Moxie being spread to different pools that work for certain stats is also nice because it gives gameplay reasons to want to be more particular about the kind of morphs your character prefers which I think is neat.