Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Verman posted:

That's cool. I've always wondered about that place since learning about it as a kid.

It's not the desolate hellscape my wife was expecting. For the most part, you're not looking at a burning coal mine, you're looking at the forest on the mountain that has an on-fire coal mine inside of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Spent the weekend riding The Vista bikepacking route in Tennessee

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Safety Dance posted:

My wife and I went out to Centralia, PA last weekend. It's a coal mining town that was abandoned in the 1960s when they managed to light the coal underground on fire. The coal will continue to burn for the next 150-200 years. A few people chose to stay, and their homes stand in stark contrast to the vacant lots around them. We didn't walk anywhere that explicitly said "No Tresspassing", or looked like it was somebody's property.

I love how you can see a wind farm from near the St. Ignatius Cemetery at the south edge of town.

Centralia used to be famous for it's "Graffiti Highway". It was a section of PA Route 61 that was too difficult to maintain due to the active fire beneath it, so Pennsylvania blocked it off and built a new Route 61 around it. People used to come here and graffiti up the street. Unfortunately, it was covered up by the company that owns the land, ostensibly because too many people were using the Graffiti Highway as a gathering place during the summer of last year.

Anyway, here's another graffiti'd up street, plus the volvo I rented.

Rainwater collects in the mines, and exits through this old ventilation shaft. It's now known as the Big Mine Run Geyser. Depending on how much rain has fallen, the geyser can get as high as 15 feet. It's located in a valley to the south of Centralia, at the end of Big Mine Run Rd.

Now that we're familiar with the area, we're planning another trip.

Be careful, I doubt the coal is close enough to the surface to be a huge risk but a big danger with the Oregon wildfires last year was the root systems catching fire and drying out the soil above them. You can think your walking on normal ground and then collapse through the baked earth and your legs are buried in a thousand+ degree oven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj6DWmXrb3M

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mr. Crow posted:

Be careful, I doubt the coal is close enough to the surface to be a huge risk but a big danger with the Oregon wildfires last year was the root systems catching fire and drying out the soil above them. You can think your walking on normal ground and then collapse through the baked earth and your legs are buried in a thousand+ degree oven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj6DWmXrb3M

Thanks. This is a good reminder.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Mt. Shasta

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

From inside Paisley Cave across Summer Lake in southern Oregon.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Did a sunset hike up Mt. Si

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grizzly Creek State Park, Humboldt county California.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

SuicidalSmurf posted:

Did a sunset hike up Mt. Si

Oh man! It was so much more hazy when I got to the top of the trail last week. The hike was still nice, though. Great shot!

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

its all nice on rice posted:

Oh man! It was so much more hazy when I got to the top of the trail last week. The hike was still nice, though. Great shot!

Thanks! The hike back to the car was a bit spooky, pitch black the last 1.5 miles. Glad I checked my headlamp before I left, very nearly headed out with dead batteries. I think I should stick to sunrise hikes. It was definitely the quietest I've ever seen the trail, though. There was a group of 3 headed up as I was coming down, and passed one couple and their dog heading down as well.

Crosspost from the Dorkroom. Overnighted Rialto Beach/Hole in the Wall. Beautiful sunny day in the low 60s, pissed rain overnight, another sunny day to hike out yesterday.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

It's not the desolate hellscape my wife was expecting. For the most part, you're not looking at a burning coal mine, you're looking at the forest on the mountain that has an on-fire coal mine inside of it.

We went last year and we were disappointed to find the graffiti highway covered with dirt. I was more fascinated by some of the surrounding Pennsylvania towns that are unlike anything I have in northern Virginia. I felt like I was in a scene from the Deer Hunter.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Summer solstice sunset from the summit of Mt. Rainier.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I love the Australian bush. This is Mt French.

highme
May 25, 2001

theHUNGERian posted:

Summer solstice sunset from the summit of Mt. Rainier.

Fantastic. Some year I’m gonna make the party at Paradise Rock on Mt Hood.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Megabound posted:

I love the Australian bush. This is Mt French.

I hope one day I can visit Australia and get into the Australian bush.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Skilak Lake AK.
Visited right between two high-profile bear attacks with three victims down by the lake, probably by the same bear.
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2021/06/13/bear-attacked-and-injured-campers-in-their-tent-on-the-shore-of-skilak-lake-officials-say/
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2021/06/28/hiker-with-dog-bitten-by-brown-bear-near-skilak-lake-on-kenai-peninsula/

Diamond Creek / Cook Inlet / Kachemak Bay,

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Went and did an overnight last Sunday/Monday at Flapjack Lakes. Escaped the heat a little bit, was in the low 90s, but UV was punishing. Not my best photos, pretty harsh light but the scenery is pretty inspiring. Oh, and my plan of spending the whole day in the lake was foiled pretty quickly. Apparently even 90 degree heat doesn't take the edge off snow melt, I lasted about 2 minutes before my hands and feet were aching with the cold.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Some shots from Diablo Lake & the Ross Lake dam.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Sometimes I wish I was a photographer and not a sweaty guy on a moutain bike with an iphone

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The good news is the only difference between a not-photographer and a photographer is time spent taking pictures, so take a lot of pictures and try to emulate pictures you enjoy looking at and it'll develop naturally.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Withnail posted:

Sometimes I wish I was a photographer and not a sweaty guy on a moutain bike with an iphone

That's a nice shot of those elk though, even if it wasn't taken through thousands of dollars of glass/electronics.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Preparing for Rainier next month, did a hike up Mt. Ellinor from Big Creek campground for the first time. Adds on to what is usually a pretty short and sweet hike in distance and another 1500 feet of climbing. Bit socked in at the top but the flowers were in great shape.

Schnugaf
Mar 23, 2011

The Great Derposaurus
Hi,

Been bit by the nature bug the last two years, thought I'd share some photos from my trip across norway last year, and my trip over hardangervidda this year. (Not good photos, but photos of pretty dope areas in Norway none the less).

Taken atop one of the mountains surrounding Bygdin lake.

Just a quick picture of one of the awesome public use cabins in Norway, we've got 500+ of these sweet lodgings. Many of which have solar panels for charging and provisions you can buy. All of which has a kitchen, gas, wood and a stove to warm up by.

These are from Skarveheimen in Norway, various places along the mountain ridge from north to south

Another cabin at Skarveheimen, called Kongshelleren.

Me enjoying the sub-zero temperatures of summer weather in Norway.

Here are some of Aurlandsdalen, a pretty famous days hike in Norway. Recommended to start at 6-7am to avoid the huge crowd of people that starts at 8am. The last one you can spot a farm on the right side of the cliff face in the middle. This place is so remote that they used to have a designated tree to hang corpses from during winter because the trek back to the graveyard down the mountain area was too difficult during winter times.

These are all from my trip this summer over Hardangervidda, from Finse to Haukeli.

Just as a quick tip, if you ever want to hike in Norway during summertime and you want to have it for yourself, go in June. Both my summertrips in June I've had nearly the whole trips by myself, this is despite every day ending at a Cabin.
You will have to ford a lot of rivers though, as most summerbridges aren't set up before the end of june.

Schnugaf fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Aug 20, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

Holy balls.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We visited Sweden several years ago and rather enjoyed it, but as we flew out we went over Norway and gliding over all those mountains it made me feel we chose the wrong country.

(we were going to visit friends so didn't have a choice really, but it probably would have been worth alienating them)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Now that the wife and I are double-vaxxed we decided to take the ferry over to Kumejima for a very covid-conscious week at a near-empty resort. Did a bunch of snorkeling, explored some caves, saw some weird trees. Most restaurants didn't have outside dining so we mostly just ate konbini food and drank a bunch of wine in our room at night. It was fantastic.

Just a beautiful trip. I started it feeling like this:

But by the end of it I was feeling like this:

FacePox
Jun 16, 2021

This is in an area called big lava bed in southern Washington. A couple of buddies and I went there last November. The area is a roughly 5 mile by 10 mile lava bed with a shield volcano in the center. The surface was mostly volcanic rock with stunted trees, making the terrain pretty rough and slow to pick through. That being said, it wasn't homogeneous, there were definitely sections that were basically normal forest. There were no trails and I don't think I could feel my hands by the time we made it to the center of the lava field but this one scene made the whole trip worth it in my opinion.
https://i.imgur.com/I4GjR9q.mp4
This is the view from the top of the shield volcano.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That looks like a rad place to explore. Is that picture from the valley on the west side of the cone?

I've got the disappearing lake on my to-do list if I ever get to be in that part of the country in spring.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Misty morning yesterday on Mount Rose - Staircase.

FacePox
Jun 16, 2021

xzzy posted:

Is that picture from the valley on the west side of the cone?
Yes, it is.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

SuicidalSmurf posted:

Misty morning yesterday on Mount Rose - Staircase.

:eyepop: some amazing photos itt

here's a view of Mt. Adams from the Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington state

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

here's a view of Mt. Adams from the Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington state

That's beautiful. Where was this taken? Cispus pass?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Verman posted:

That's beautiful. Where was this taken? Cispus pass?

goat lake

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Goat Rocks continues to be one of my favorite backpacking trips ever, second only or maybe tied with the Washington coast.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

It was extremely pretty, up there with Enchantments. I plan to go back and see some of the other spots

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Cross posting from the climbing thread ages ago, because we're in lockdown here now for another month or so at least and I'm remembering how cool it was to go outside.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

wow, thats amazing

Schnugaf
Mar 23, 2011

The Great Derposaurus

Forgot about this one. This was a true test of willpower as I walked on by without taking a dip into this cruel mistress of a perfectly blue ice water pond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I dipped my feet into a glacial lake once, went straight past feeling numb to horrible pain. I could take about 5 seconds.

It was great for submerging our bladders for 10 minutes though.. gave us some frosty cold drinking water.