Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I had one of those kryptonite ny fahgettaboudit chains when I lived in Manhattan and I think I used it twice. It was unusably bulky and heavy and loud, just a real pain in the rear end to carry around. I used the kryptonite ny fahgettaboudit U lock every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Safety Dance posted:

I had one of those kryptonite ny fahgettaboudit chains when I lived in Manhattan and I think I used it twice. It was unusably bulky and heavy and loud, just a real pain in the rear end to carry around. I used the kryptonite ny fahgettaboudit U lock every day.
rofl you aren’t supposed to carry the chain with you

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Meh, maybe the nyc is a whole lot thicker than i thought, but the point is to have something strong to carry around for when you're stopping at a half dozen different places throughout the day and i find chains a lot more versatile a ulock ever would be in my situation

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
it’s a lot easier to hang a beefy ulock on the bike that drag a chain around. u locks are for errands, big rear end chains are for commuting

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I never parked the bike out in the open when I was commuting. U-locks always.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I dished out for a Litelok that I haven’t actually used yet and otherwise use a chain I can plug into my cafe lock for parking at work (in a secure garage where many of my colleagues don’t lock up their bikes at all).

The Litelok is definitely very hefty but I’m also leaning to just not locking my bike in an area where something like that feels necessary.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I’m in Portland so I lock up my bike completely even if only running into a coffee shop or something. U-lock with a cable running through the seat and front wheel (if I can’t get the u-lock through the wheel and frame) cafe lock on the rear wheel and I remove everything including the battery if I am going to be a few hours.

I had someone steal my crusty water bottle from my bike once, if it’s not locked up it’ll be gone in no time.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have the Litelok X1. Can't really comment on the angle grinder resistance since, well, nobody has tried so far, but man the finish leaves a lot to be desired for such an expensive lock.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I just wear my chain like a bandoleer while riding and it looks pretty metal :black101:

Pretty loving heavy, though

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I've always been worried about wearing locks because it feels like landing on them if you come off the bike would be a good way to break a hip or spine. No idea if that's actually a reasonable fear though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
State is clearing out its single speed ebikes:
https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/sale/products/6061-ebike-commuter-matte-black

I guess it could be worth it if you know exactly what you need, and you don’t need much assist?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Even though I own a Nevo4 I did a test ride of Rad Power's Radster Roadster and it's an impressive bike for the price as well as being a torquey little devil. It's their first class 3 28mph bike with a torque sensor (with throttle assist up to 20mph)

It's lighter than the Rad City 5, launches off from a dead stop very quickly, and has higher quality Shimano shifters this time around. I was fairly impressed

G-III fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 31, 2024

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Went to the bike shop that I bought the Aventons today and they suggested this:

https://us.tenways.com/products/cgo800s

Looks good to me I guess. Wife gets shocks and a step through. I could probably go with the lighter Aventon though.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I used a version of this chain lock that you wear around your waist for years while I was a daily bike commuter in an urban area. It resisted several attempts to cut through it.
After I moved to a new apartment building, someone did finally break through. I managed to steal my bike back though (long story).

https://www.rei.com/product/846520/hiplok-lite-chain-lock

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

G-III posted:

Even though I own a Nevo4 I did a test ride of Rad Power's Radster Roadster and it's an impressive bike for the price as well as being a torquey little devil. It's their first class 3 28mph bike with a torque sensor (with throttle assist up to 20mph)

It's lighter than the Rad City 5, launches off from a dead stop very quickly, and has higher quality Shimano shifters this time around. I was fairly impressed
lol don’t give rad power money

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

lol don’t give rad power money

Like I said, I already own a Nevo4 although my previous rad city 5 was an alright bike. I live in Seattle and Rad Power's dealership is right next to the Obec brewery my friend works at so kinda easy to just walk on over and give whatever they got a try. Personally if I had to do my most recent purchase over again with perfect knowledge I would have waited 6 more months and gotten the Gazelle Eclipse C380+ HMB. All the features and gear of the Nevo4 but $3k less.

https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-us/...frame=frame-low

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Just test rode a Benno Boost, seemed really nice. Tried both the class 3 65Nm and 85Nm versions and leaning toward the 85 with the kiddo etc.

Think I’ll check out a Tern GSD/HSD too, but the Benno seemed real nice and the shop is only a few blocks from my house.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I have spent the last two years getting four surgeries to fix my broke-rear end body, and the last part keeping me from biking was eliminated at the end of december. February 5, I got an aventure a2, and I'm not sure I have ever had so much goddamn fun exercising. Definitely not since fourth grade when I developed athsma.

I just passed 300 miles today, and without this bike I wouldn't be able to bike at all.

I should probably have consulted y'all before buying one, but it was on sale and I have no regrets.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Congrats NinjaDebugger! Enjoy that outdoor air and exercise.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Went to the bike shop that I bought the Aventons today and they suggested this:

https://us.tenways.com/products/cgo800s

Looks good to me I guess. Wife gets shocks and a step through. I could probably go with the lighter Aventon though.

My partner bought this model a couple of months ago, and she's very happy about it. The motor is fine for just giving a gentle push at the lowest setting, which she uses most of the time.

Be aware that the rear mudguard is bizarrely some 15 cm too short and isn't much use in the wet. My partner had to have an extension fitted to it.

e: Weirdly the front mudguard has the correct length, as you can see in this picture, so what the hell were they thinking with the rear one?

Steen71 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 10, 2024

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Guinness posted:

Just test rode a Benno Boost, seemed really nice. Tried both the class 3 65Nm and 85Nm versions and leaning toward the 85 with the kiddo etc.

Think I’ll check out a Tern GSD/HSD too, but the Benno seemed real nice and the shop is only a few blocks from my house.

Alright, also test rode the Tern GSD, HSD, and Quickhaul and the new Cannondale Cargowagen. Also tried various combinations of Class 1, 3, and a belt drive Enviolo hub. The Enviolo worked better than I imagined it would based on prior experience of "automatic" hubs but I still don't think it's for me.

I dig the Cargowagen a lot, liked it more than the GSD, but both are bigger than I'm looking for right now. If (big if) I need a two kid hauler in a few years I'd come back to it for sure.

I was surprised between the HSD and the QuickHaul that I liked the QuickHaul quite a bit more considering how much cheaper it is. More basic but fewer things to go wrong.

Buuuut I wasn't in love with any of the Terns I don't think. They ride really upright, and feels like you're sitting pretty forward on the bike, like on top of the handlebars. Maybe the test ride adjustment wasn't very well dialed but it was noticeable on all of them. I'm sure you get used to it and maybe it's good for tight urban spaces, but mmmm.

So I dunno, right now the contenders feel like the Boost as the splurge option or the QuickHaul as the cheap option. Both can carry a small kid and some bags no problem but the Boost seems like more fun.

Also seems like the market is in the slow process of switching from Bosch system 2 to system 3, and having ridden both I don't know that I really care much? More than anything it's the computer and software that's different and I don't think I care about connecting an an app and I kind of even prefer the simplicity of the system 2 head unit. Am I going to regret getting a new system 2 bike as it's getting phased out?

Guinness fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 11, 2024

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Guinness posted:

I was surprised between the HSD and the QuickHaul that I liked the QuickHaul quite a bit more considering how much cheaper it is. More basic but fewer things to go wrong.

Buuuut I wasn't in love with any of the Terns I don't think. They ride really upright, and feels like you're sitting pretty forward on the bike, like on top of the handlebars. Maybe the test ride adjustment wasn't very well dialed but it was noticeable on all of them. I'm sure you get used to it and maybe it's good for tight urban spaces, but mmmm.
I found the Quick Haul to be able to set a pretty aggressive stance, much more so than the HSD. It has a pretty normal seat tube angle, whereas the GSD and HSD have very slack ones.
I'm surprised they didn't show you how to operate the height adjustment on either the QH or HSD, as they're supposed to be toolless to aid multiple users. At my saddle height, I could get 5-6 cm of bar drop if I wanted.
I did get a slightly longer stem for the QH, but didn't feel like I needed more. Because they're designing the bikes to be very short overall, and yet have long chainstays to carry cargo, the front is compressed even with the length reduction of a small wheel.
IME, the QH is also more stable on the DuoStand kickstand once you get the foot extensions.

quote:

Also seems like the market is in the slow process of switching from Bosch system 2 to system 3, and having ridden both I don't know that I really care much? More than anything it's the computer and software that's different and I don't think I care about connecting an an app and I kind of even prefer the simplicity of the system 2 head unit. Am I going to regret getting a new system 2 bike as it's getting phased out?
System 2 is better for me simply because of less integration. Bosch said they're gonna support it for a long time -- that's part of the difference between them and some of the cheaper bikes running generic drive systems. Much more dependent on the bike brand to carry inventory, warranty you, etc.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I do think I'm leaning toward the Quick Haul, a P9 Sport is a hair under $4k out the door kitted out the way I want. A similarly equipped Boost is nearly $6.5k, and doesn't seem to accommodate a frame lock either. Not a deal breaker but a nice feature for daycare/playground parking. Yeah the Boost is an overall nicer bike and more comparable to an HSD, but if the QH fits my uses cases that's a lot of savings and I appreciate the simplicity and lighter weight too. Could almost buy a second bike with the price difference.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 11, 2024

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Guinness posted:

I do think I'm leaning toward the Quick Haul, a P9 Sport is a hair under $4k out the door kitted out the way I want. A similarly equipped Boost is nearly $6.5k, and doesn't seem to accommodate a frame lock either. Not a deal breaker but a nice feature for daycare/playground parking. Yeah the Boost is an overall nicer bike and more comparable to an HSD, but if the QH fits my uses cases that's a lot of savings and I appreciate the simplicity and lighter weight too. Could almost buy a second bike with the price difference.

I have a Boost. I’m really happy with it. It came down to the GSD and the Boost for me, but the proprietary stem thing on the Tern couldn’t accommodate my height. Since the boost is closer to a normal bike, I did an easy handlebar and stem swap with no problems. The lack of a cafe lock on the Boost is big, but I just carry two locks now.

If you can make a tern fit, I can see why the price difference could push you that way.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I have a Boost. I’m really happy with it. It came down to the GSD and the Boost for me, but the proprietary stem thing on the Tern couldn’t accommodate my height. Since the boost is closer to a normal bike, I did an easy handlebar and stem swap with no problems.

If you can make a tern fit, I can see why the price difference could push you that way.

The Quick Haul has a variable height steerer post and fits a regular stem to it. It’s pretty slick compared to the Andros thing, which I think makes sense when the steerer tube can fold down like on the HSD/GSD.

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023
Hoping this is the right place to ask.

I have a Freego ebike (moped) and I've got 6 broken spokes on the rear hub. I emailed the company and they said I need 13g X 125mm and 13g X 127mm. Are these sizes something a bike shop will carry or will I need to purchase online beforehand?

I'm fine with purchasing (Freego is asking me to pay double online prices) for replacements. Is this something a layman can replace easily. I know the wheel won't be trued but I need a quick fix as this is my "car". Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CoffeeBoofer posted:

Hoping this is the right place to ask.

I have a Freego ebike (moped) and I've got 6 broken spokes on the rear hub. I emailed the company and they said I need 13g X 125mm and 13g X 127mm. Are these sizes something a bike shop will carry or will I need to purchase online beforehand?

I think it’s unlikely they’d have that in stock. Or would have the right gauge to cut down on a spoke machine. You can always ask, of course.

You need to get matching spoke nipples. If you want to DIY, you need a spoke wrench, a crappy version of which might be on your multi tool. I’d avoid using that kind of possible cuz it can round off a nipple so easily.

You also need to understand lacing patterns to know which spoke to use where, if the broken spoke is gone or only half there.

Finally, depending on what tire model and wheel you’re talking about, it might require heavy duty tire levers to take the tire off and put it back.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ordered a Quick Haul wee now to wait a couple weeks for it

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

kimbo305 posted:

I think it’s unlikely they’d have that in stock. Or would have the right gauge to cut down on a spoke machine. You can always ask, of course.

You need to get matching spoke nipples. If you want to DIY, you need a spoke wrench, a crappy version of which might be on your multi tool. I’d avoid using that kind of possible cuz it can round off a nipple so easily.

You also need to understand lacing patterns to know which spoke to use where, if the broken spoke is gone or only half there.

Finally, depending on what tire model and wheel you’re talking about, it might require heavy duty tire levers to take the tire off and put it back.

Thank you! Will be taking it to the LBS next week. Do you think the entire wheel will need to be relaced or can the broken ones just be replaced.

This was after 800 miles of riding, no curb jumps or whatever, if it matters lol.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

It depends on exactly how it broke, but as long as it didn't rip the nipple itself through the wheel you should be ok. Have them check the torque on all the spokes just in case they wouldn't do that as standard, if they aren't all correct you could be in for a quick repeat

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
after like six months, Super73 finally has folding pegs back in stock.

if you can read this, i fell off!!

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

Sentient Data posted:

It depends on exactly how it broke, but as long as it didn't rip the nipple itself through the wheel you should be ok. Have them check the torque on all the spokes just in case they wouldn't do that as standard, if they aren't all correct you could be in for a quick repeat

They're all broken at the hub/hook side (sorry wrong term I know). Still attached at the nipples, swinging in the wind.

Really appreciate the knowledge. Been lurking this thread before I got a bike. I know I'm not one of you but ebikes own

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CoffeeBoofer posted:

Do you think the entire wheel will need to be relaced or can the broken ones just be replaced.

This was after 800 miles of riding, no curb jumps or whatever, if it matters lol.

It can be hard to tell. How many spokes are left? With the reduced spoke count, even tiptoeing around and avoiding all bumps on the bike could still cause too much stress to the remaining spokes. They could be intact but breaking much sooner. I’d buy at least a few extra spokes to cover some more.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Very true, whatever the case just ask the shop straight up to make sure the wheel is still good since "all" implies more broken ones than i was thinking and they know what kind of subtle signs to look for

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Does anyone here have familiarity with this bike?

https://www.rei.com/product/189966/co-op-cycles-cty-e11-electric-bike

Our needs as a family are pretty basic - just something to get up and down the small hill that we live on to the city center for parks/short errands/etc. Not a commuter bike or daily driver. Hoping to tow a Burley Bee behind this, which I believe is possible based on combing through that one website that sells adapters (can't recall what it's called at the moment).

Wanted to check out the options at RadPower near our house, but have seen enough groans about them in this thread to be scared off.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I haven't ridden that specific one, but I have ridden the small wheel cargo version. There is some basic torque sensing that does make the assistance feel more natural than cadence based pedal assist.

I generally would recommend REI for most people looking for a sub $1800 ebike.

There are faster budget e bikes with bigger batteries out there, but it is rare to find one that doesn't have a major design flaw or poor build quality.

Also, this one is 2/3 the weight of a rad power bike.

E: it does have a 42t chainring. That is good for me, but mashers might find that too small. It isn't a big deal to change if you feel like you're spinning too fast.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 13, 2024

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

CopperHound posted:

I haven't ridden that specific one, but I have ridden the small wheel cargo version. There is some basic torque sensing that does make the assistance feel more natural than cadence based pedal assist.

I generally would recommend REI for most people looking for a sub $1800 ebike.

There are faster budget e bikes with bigger batteries out there, but it is rare to find one that doesn't have a major design flaw or poor build quality.

Also, this one is 2/3 the weight of a rad power bike.

E: it does have a 42t chainring. That is good for me, but mashers might find that too small. It isn't a big deal to change if you feel like you're spinning too fast.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, we had looked at the small wheel version as well because REI is clearing out stock of them and they can be had for like $900, but this seemed more in our (heh) wheelhouse. Top end speed is not a concern honestly.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

My SO's employer just started offing 15% or $1000 discounts on ebikes, problem is that the approved bike vendors I've never even heard of before. The 4 vendors we can choose from are:

https://www.velotricbike.com/
https://lectricebikes.com/
https://dirwinbike.com/
https://ride1up.com/

We were about to plunk down $$$ for a Tern HSD or something similar (wanted something that could take a kids seat, was a step through, didn't weigh a ton, and that was made well).

Does anyone have any opinion about the above vendors? The incentive is really quite generous.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I recently bought a motorcycle with the idea to get a hitch mount to tow it around with for camping stuff, but realized I like ebikes way more for a motorized two wheel sort of thing, and I really hate riding a motorcycle anywhere near cars.

Just so happened the most suggested long range ebike with some front suspension has a sale going on, so I'm selling the bike and waiting on this to arrive:

Turbo Vado 4.0, usually 4k, now at 2750, with that money saved i can buy one of their hilariously over priced extra batteries!

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-40/p/206159?color=348371-206159

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

El Mero Mero posted:

My SO's employer just started offing 15% or $1000 discounts on ebikes, problem is that the approved bike vendors I've never even heard of before. The 4 vendors we can choose from are:

https://www.velotricbike.com/
https://lectricebikes.com/
https://dirwinbike.com/
https://ride1up.com/

We were about to plunk down $$$ for a Tern HSD or something similar (wanted something that could take a kids seat, was a step through, didn't weigh a ton, and that was made well).

Does anyone have any opinion about the above vendors? The incentive is really quite generous.

Lectric and Ride1Up are super popular around here and have a good reputation.