Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

I pulled a late season mule deer tag in NV unit 021, right outside of Reno, where I live. Season runs Dec 21 through Jan 1 and in between weather and the holiday, I made it out for the first time yesterday afternoon, just in time to see a storm come rolling in over the Peterson range. I was going to Seven Lakes mountain.

East end of Seven Lakes. Seven Lakes runs East - West, the Petersons run N-S.

Took my truck

This is why the range is called Seven Lakes. There's seven seasonal lakes on the range, all dried.

Looking East towards the Petersons. It was cold and windy on top of the mountain. In the valleys it was pushing 60F.

Small game guzzler, mostly supports chukar.

Someone set up a shooting range.

Another one of the dried lakes

The range burned in 2016. It's very noticeable on the east end.

Coming off the mountain into sage flats. The Fort Sage range is in the distance, also part of my unit but access is limited. The center of the valley is all private.

From here I got onto a road and crossed a private gate that was unlocked. I was hopeful, but once I got to the last gate, it was locked. I was about 50' from the main freeway which would take me back into Reno. I called a local rancher buddy to see if he knew the landowner so I could get out but he did not so I ended up having to turn around and drive back over the mountain in the dark. I managed to take one wrong turn and ended up in some mud, but four low got me out. I'm really glad I put on new tires over the summer.

I saw zero deer. I'm going to go run the truck through a car wash and head out to the Sand Hill range via Bedell flat. It's been so warm and we haven't really had snow below 8000 ft there's been no reason for the deer to come down to the valleys but I figured I'd check out the flat. WA-065 is the only big game guzzler in the unit so might as well go see it. If I have time I'm going to check out the north end of Fred's Mountain, too.

I was out earlier this year with my friend Jim, just driving around in unit 196 which is even closer to Reno. A group of does crossed the road in front of us and this buck was following. Ended up being a 32 yard shot, and Jim had brought along his 28 Nosler. The shot was a little too close for the caliber: the front quarters were pretty bloodshot, but it was easy enough to gut and get into the truck. We didn't even quarter out, just dropped the gut pile and took the carcass to his house to skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

skrapp mettle posted:

I pulled a late season mule deer tag in NV unit 021, right outside of Reno, where I live. Season runs Dec 21 through Jan 1 and in between weather and the holiday, I made it out for the first time yesterday afternoon, just in time to see a storm come rolling in over the Peterson range. I was going to Seven Lakes mountain.

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing it! I made my first trip to New Mexico earlier this year and I suspect Im falling in love with the region. Looks like I need to add Nevada to my bucket list too.