Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Outrail posted:

For both of my deer I kept one foreleg whole and froze it. Serving a whole deer leg looks pretty speccy and is great for entertaining a larger crowd. If its too you can always use a saw/hacksaw to cut it into two smaller pieces to fit into the pot/roasting pan

Or use the leg as a handle and just bite pieces off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andamac
Jan 25, 2004

Two buckets of chicken and a drive to the liquor store.

nadmonk posted:

Any recommendations on good resources / guides for fully processing a deer?

If you have a dog or know a good dog who deserves good things, save all the nastiest gross-rear end trim - silverskin, semi-blood-shot meat, tendons, fascia goo, almost everything but lymph nodes, because gross - that you don't even want to put in your grind pile for dog food. (I fill a crock pot with it, fill whatever space is left, and let it go on low overnight. In the morning, I add a handful or two of rice and/or barley and more water if needed and let it go a few more hours. It ends up like canned dog food.)

Overall as people have said it's simpler than you think. I've done a pig and two elk in my stupid little kitchen, using primarily a stubby Buck knife and a filet knife. (A cleaver and mallet are excellent additions.) On elk it's worth trying to cut flat iron steaks. If you mess up, it's still edible! I do take the main grind piles on the elk to the butcher because they were big and the butcher can add fat easier than I can. I do make batches of sausage at home, though.

A couple of cookie sheets with racks are also extremely good to have to hold meat in the fridge before you pack it up for the freezer.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Squirrel season is nigh. Rejoice!

With the baby I wasn't able to chase turkey or scout for my first whitetail, but I will definitely find a few hours to go stalk my favorite little tree ninjas.

Its tempting to carry something that could field a shell for both squirrel and deer. That way I could grab a deer tag and if luck shines on me, I can load a sabot or whatever. My 870 only has the smooth barrel. I have a single shot 20ga and a bow that are potentially useful in the same way, but frankly have not been able to practice archery enough this year to honestly employ the bow. Gun season is short here anyway, and pretty limited. Deer may need to wait until next year, unless I can start finding time to hit the archery range nearly daily.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Your 870 with the smoothbore barrel should be able to fire a rifled slug just fine. Despite their misleading name, rifled slugs are intended for use with smoothbore barrels. Their reach is pretty limited, 50 yards is generally considered to be pushing it but the utility of having the option to take larger game while out hunting squirrel is pretty hard to beat. Smoothbore barreled shotguns are absurdly versatile for hunting the woods and just going to a walk carrying one with an assortment of shells and taking whatever game pops up is a great way to spend a day.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
50 yards is more than enough, hell yeah. I'm very rarely in terrain that isn't pretty dense.

I was really into the idea of my first deer season being a long drawn out bow affair, but this year I might have to just join the hordes of gun hunters who have like a 2 week season. I'm pretty sure opening day will be like a Vietnam jungle patrol, then after that they'll all know to gently caress off to private or non huntable land.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Gooch181 posted:

I'm pretty sure opening day will be like a Vietnam jungle patrol, then after that they'll all know to gently caress off to private or non huntable land.

The spot I picked for rifle opener was literally full parking lot and 100 yards past I had to stop for deer loving off to the property across the road

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

the yeti posted:

The spot I picked for rifle opener was literally full parking lot and 100 yards past I had to stop for deer loving off to the property across the road

Is eastern states hunting really as bad as hunters spaced 200m apart while deer pinball between them? It sounds hectic.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Outrail posted:

Is eastern states hunting really as bad as hunters spaced 200m apart while deer pinball between them? It sounds hectic.

It depends state by state on how number of hunters and size and number of access opportunities interact, as well as that trope about hunters generally not going too far from their point of access.

I tried to stay closer to home last rifle season and on easy terrain paid for it by being around loads of hunters abd being in spots deer were getting bumped around.

This year I’m scouting a spot about 2 hours into the countryside in which I can get 800 yards from a road if I try real hard. while I expect to see people there I believe between the depth of the parcel and my modest hiking chops i can avoid most of the ‘walk just out of sight of my truck’ hunters.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The number of truck hunters around here is incredible. I blame the extensive clear-cut logging making everything so easy to access.

The worst part is when you find a nice area of non motorized and some rear end in a top hat just ramps his hosed up truck through it anyway.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Gooch181 posted:

Squirrel season is nigh. Rejoice!

With the baby I wasn't able to chase turkey or scout for my first whitetail, but I will definitely find a few hours to go stalk my favorite little tree ninjas.

Its tempting to carry something that could field a shell for both squirrel and deer. That way I could grab a deer tag and if luck shines on me, I can load a sabot or whatever. My 870 only has the smooth barrel. I have a single shot 20ga and a bow that are potentially useful in the same way, but frankly have not been able to practice archery enough this year to honestly employ the bow. Gun season is short here anyway, and pretty limited. Deer may need to wait until next year, unless I can start finding time to hit the archery range nearly daily.

Double check your regulations, I know in some states they suspend all other game hunting during the short rifle deer season. Otherwise it sounds like a plan.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Outrail posted:

In the Virginia wildlife management areas near DC, while not literally every few hundred yards, yes it is incredibly terrible early in the rifle season. Archery and muzzleloader are less bad, but still not great. Later in the season the crowding gets much better, but obviously the hunting can be pretty crap. Even October early bear has gotten popular and where I once was the only person deep into the woods up near the peak of the eastern face of the Blue Ridge mountains, the last couple years there are 7 or 8 other hunters within a half-mile of me. Two years ago heading into one of my late season deer spots where the brush is blindingly thick and you need a 4x4 to access I passed 3 pickups heading out just as I was hoping to head in. That was a real bummer because I kinda count on being the only guy willing to sleep in a tent in late December around here.

On the other hand, if you know someone who has property in one of the exurban counties close to the city, you will see dozens of deer in a season and are allowed to harvest from September 4th through March 27th (using various methods at various times) and can bag over 6 deer without doing too much special license stuff.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

alnilam posted:

Double check your regulations, I know in some states they suspend all other game hunting during the short rifle deer season. Otherwise it sounds like a plan.

They didn't restrict it last year, but I will be sure and double check.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

glynnenstein posted:

On the other hand, if you know someone who has property in one of the exurban counties close to the city, you will see dozens of deer in a season and are allowed to harvest from September 4th through March 27th (using various methods at various times) and can bag over 6 deer without doing too much special license stuff.

drat. We're in a pretty unpopulated area and there's talk of cutting out the 10 day doe season altogether to give populations a chance to rebound. We've got CWD about to come in from Montana and Alberta so mayve a really low population density in the border areas is probably a good idea since most deer probably won't get vaccinated or wear masks.

Our game management seems to be based on kneejerk reactions from the shrieking latte crowd in Vancouver who can't stand the shrieking Mah Huntz crowd shooting animals and there's little interest in listening to the science and this is the result. To be fair the shrieking Mah Huntz! crowd is just as bad most of the time. They banned grizzly hunting altogether in BC, but I've spoken to grizzly researchers who do nothing but study grizzlies all day long and they don't have a problem with a responsible hunting season. So the Huntz crowd is screeching that grizzlies are the cause for dropping game numbers. Never mind the catastrophic levels of clearcut logging, increased access and carnivore movement opportunities. It's likely all a very complex cumulative effects issue but the only takeaway is more bears = no elk and that's the extent of the argument.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Verman posted:

I went up with a buddy for late season blue grouse in the snow. He's been wanting to get up to this location in the winter for a long time to see if the grouse are up there this time of year. The last time we were up there, we saw a cinnamon bear and a cub and I got the only grouse we saw with one shot.

Yesterday we saw a ton of rabbit tracks and one grouse track but no birds. Either way it was a nice day in the mountains and my dog is dead tired do that's always a success.

Hey Visla buddy, post more doofy dog.
This is Gus

This is the thousand yard stare he has developed waiting for hunting to start again.
We leave this friday for three days of dove hunting. Boy we are excite.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You're making me want to deal with the allergies and get a dog.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
First day of migratory season and I'm out hunting the most dangerous prey... the cobrachicken.

They say your first shot with a new gun determines of its a good gun for either clays or birds and this new Benelli nova is apparently good for both.

Tomorrow I gotta clean birbs because stupid me I'm going camping opening weekend.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

GEEKABALL posted:

Hey Visla buddy, post more doofy dog.
This is Gus

This is the thousand yard stare he has developed waiting for hunting to start again.
We leave this friday for three days of dove hunting. Boy we are excite.

Oh nice. I see a lot of Vizlas around my area as pets but I don't see many hunting when I go.

This is Stanley. He's a bit of a clown, still very much a puppy and an old man at 6 years old, and way more personality than a dog should probably have. He points butterflies beautifully. He enjoys hunting but due to my lack of training (and not getting on birds early enough) he knows mostly what to do but lacks the finishing touches of a true hunting dog. Its my fault as bird hunting is one of my many hobbies and its not my most passionate so I mostly do it just to get outside in the fall and get him working his instincts.

I aggravated a herniated disc in my lower back last week so my hunting season might be over before it even starts.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

What an excellent point to that butterfly, friend!

Hope you can get some relief for your back ASAP. Unfortunately sometimes taking a season off for your long-term health is best, but it's not fun.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

First weekend of Maryland's crossbow season and my husband got a deer! It took about two hours to break it down when he got home, and so we had teriyaki heart for dinner.

My toddler was thrilled with both the animal and with dinner. He has never seen Bambi and now probably never will.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Chernobyl Princess posted:

My toddler was thrilled with both the animal and with dinner. He has never seen Bambi and now probably never will.

Grats! Xbow is something I want to try out at some point. I'm so glad when other people eat the heart (or just eat their kill in general).

Bambi is a very good animated film but is also incredibly old by this point. I think outside of having access to Disney+ you can't even get it legally anymore? Either way, he'll see several Bambis, hopefully shortly before bringing them home to the table in the future.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
My kids helped skin and process their first deer (and plucked many a duck) before Disney impacted their lives, thankfully. They've seen Bambi but know it's not a documentary.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Anyone know a good resource for bowmaking?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tias posted:

Anyone know a good resource for bowmaking?

I don’t have any specific posts handy but it gets talked about in here now and then: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3197043

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
bumping The Hunting Thread because hunting season is here. Anybody have any cool hunts coming up? I have a new baby so I’m planning on taking the year off for the most part, save for a couple weekends in NY’s gun season, so I need to live vicariously through other goons

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I think the other hunting thread is a little more active? But not by much.

I have what I think is a stellar elk and mule site, but I can't find anyone to come with me, and it's a bit of a trek solo if I get anything. Also I don't like wandering around too far backcountry by myself because I'm scared of grizzlies bears coyotes squirrels.

Tomorrow I'm chasing a whitetail I saw a month ago, hopefully noone got him in the last week. There's also a 6pt bull in the area but truck hunters are probably hammering things. but I'm willing to walk and I'm pretty sure I have the wt patterned to an extent. I was ready to go last weekend and at the last minute realised I'd confused my tags and hasn't got them yet. Had to wait until Monday to get them. Really annoying but I managed to get four grouse while scouting out the Elk site.

I made fried grouse fingers because I am trash and they are delicious.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
mannn i’m so jealous of your ability to chase after whitetail, muleys, and elk in your backyard. we’ve got a 2023 WY rifle elk trip tentatively planned but man, even this far out, thinking about that 24+ hr drive is daunting

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
also grouse fingers sound hella tasty

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
E: quote isn't edit

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 17, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

HamAdams posted:

mannn i’m so jealous of your ability to chase after whitetail, muleys, and elk in your backyard. we’ve got a 2023 WY rifle elk trip tentatively planned but man, even this far out, thinking about that 24+ hr drive is daunting

Jesus that's rough. At least you don't have to drive three hours to buy furniture?

HamAdams posted:

also grouse fingers sound hella tasty

The trick is to trim the fingernails before you poach them

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I have my NE hunt in Nov that I normally tackle with CoffeeBooze. I just moved to the East Coast so I don't have any solid plans until I can figure out the laws here, but it looks like I have a little time to look for public land and work on my aim for deer.

In the new year I'd like to either chase ducks or turkey again, it's been a while since I've shotgun hunted at all. My poor tiny shotgun needs attention, too.

I'm sad that I'm not in muley nor elk territory over here but I think I'll find an excuse to go back to that section of the country for that sort of trip maybe in a year or two. I'm trying to accumulate points for an elk hunt and have been chipping away at the CA mule deer X zone hunt for about 6 years now. One day I'll get that draw.

Until then (maybe next year) I'll think about going after coastal blacktail.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Update: I got out a little later than I'd like but first day and all that.

Looks like someone got a nice bull just south of town. I'm not sure a semi trailer is the right caliber for elk but who am I to judge. Seeing a huge rack on the side of the road covered in hazard tape is a little jarring first thing in the morning.

Anyway, I've been watching two cow cows make their way across the side of a gully for about an hour. Aside from a cow elk disappearing into the treeline and a squirrel throwing cones at my head no sign of what I'm looking for.

I'm going to give it another hour and follow the cow elk into the trees in case she has a boyfriend.

E: now there's three cows.

Ee: Back to one cow. Thanks for reading hunting live posts: All Cow, All the Time.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 17, 2022

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Outrail posted:

Update: I got out a little later than I'd like but first day and all that.

Looks like someone got a nice bull just south of town. I'm not sure a semi trailer is the right caliber for elk but who am I to judge. Seeing a huge rack on the side of the road covered in hazard tape is a little jarring first thing in the morning.

Anyway, I've been watching two cow cows make their way across the side of a gully for about an hour. Aside from a cow elk disappearing into the treeline and a squirrel throwing cones at my head no sign of what I'm looking for.

I'm going to give it another hour and follow the cow elk into the trees in case she has a boyfriend.

E: now there's three cows.

Ee: Back to one cow. Thanks for reading hunting live posts: All Cow, All the Time.

Man good luck. Sending vibes for a giant rear end bull to be hiding just out of sight for you until like 2pm today or some weird poo poo like that. Go get em.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Chaosfeather posted:

Man good luck. Sending vibes for a giant rear end bull to be hiding just out of sight for you until like 2pm today or some weird poo poo like that. Go get em.

Thanks mate!

Now there's 4 cows.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

HamAdams posted:

bumping The Hunting Thread because hunting season is here. Anybody have any cool hunts coming up? I have a new baby so I’m planning on taking the year off for the most part, save for a couple weekends in NY’s gun season, so I need to live vicariously through other goons

I'm heading up to do black bear in Vermont in a couple weeks. Kinda the middle of the early bear season, but it's mostly intended as a scouting trip since this is my first year going up there for it. Gonna be interesting!

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

glynnenstein posted:

I'm heading up to do black bear in Vermont in a couple weeks. Kinda the middle of the early bear season, but it's mostly intended as a scouting trip since this is my first year going up there for it. Gonna be interesting!

That sounds interesting, what are the regs like in VT? IIRC here in NY, you can’t bait or use dogs, and the numbers around me locally are low enough that it’s not really worth going out specifically for bears.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

HamAdams posted:

That sounds interesting, what are the regs like in VT? IIRC here in NY, you can’t bait or use dogs, and the numbers around me locally are low enough that it’s not really worth going out specifically for bears.

No baiting and I'm not using dogs or anything. I'm gonna drive into the Green Mountain National Forest and try to hike to some remote areas that have good tree species for bear to feed on and hope I can catch one coming or going. Vermont has a really dense black bear population, so it's a better shot that down here in Virginia. The main challenge is I'm going solo, so processing and hauling a harvest will be hard as hell.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Douse yourself in fish guts and lead the bear back to your vehicle.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If one is hunting in the winter, but only has uhhhh "green" camo, (the real tree style) is it even worth the effort to wear that camo? Its an area where there would be (probably lots of) snow on the ground, and a mixture of broadleaf and evergreen trees. Also not hunting from a blind or stand.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

If one is hunting in the winter, but only has uhhhh "green" camo, (the real tree style) is it even worth the effort to wear that camo? Its an area where there would be (probably lots of) snow on the ground, and a mixture of broadleaf and evergreen trees. Also not hunting from a blind or stand.

I'd wear whatever is the best for the conditions whether the camo is an appropriate pattern or not. If you need to be hidden in snow on the ground they make basically tyvek jumpsuits in snow camo you can put on over your normal gear.

Wrapping up my WY pronghorn trip with my buddy and his dad, we drew a pretty great unit and did some great scouting the day and a half before opening day and managed to fill all 3 tags within 12 hours, two being the two biggest bucks we had seen in the area. I'll write up a more detailed recap with photos once I'm back in front of a keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

charliebravo77 posted:

Wrapping up my WY pronghorn trip with my buddy and his dad, we drew a pretty great unit and did some great scouting the day and a half before opening day and managed to fill all 3 tags within 12 hours, two being the two biggest bucks we had seen in the area. I'll write up a more detailed recap with photos once I'm back in front of a keyboard.

Hell yeah, congrats! :toot: Looking forward to the write-up. Pronghorn is right at the top of my list of species I want to hunt, they're so cool looking.