Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

carrionman posted:

My father in laws birthday is coming up soonish, thinking of getting him a multitool to take fishing, preferably something leatherman or victorinox. My experience with fishing amounts to trying to get a dead goldfish out of a pond so ideas about which models would suit would be awesome.

Can't think of much you'd need aside from pliers, cutters, maybe something pokey to clear out hooks, I guess a knife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Depending on the type of fishing a nice lip grip is always good to have.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I get a $30 gerber every few months for work (I lose them) and it's great for fishing, built tough and comfortable. Gerber Gear Suspension NXT

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i'd be stoked about just a pair of nice titanium pliers tbh

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!
I'm regretting putting my canoe away, wonder if Winnebago is going to freeze up enough this year for me to work up the courage to head out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3jGYaQQPOs

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

carrionman posted:

My father in laws birthday is coming up soonish, thinking of getting him a multitool to take fishing, preferably something leatherman or victorinox. My experience with fishing amounts to trying to get a dead goldfish out of a pond so ideas about which models would suit would be awesome.

Whatever you settle on, it’ll be 100x as good if it either comes with a lanyard and belt clip or you get one to go with it.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the yeti posted:

Whatever you settle on, it’ll be 100x as good if it either comes with a lanyard and belt clip or you get one to go with it.

seconded

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Yeah a multi tool with a belt holster is indispensable when you're fishing. Another thing I always bring is a line cutter. It's probably not good to cut line with your teeth especially heavier lines.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i am signed up for a kayak bass tournament on saturday

i did practice at this lake today and i only caught one bass in six hours pounding several miles of weedline with worms and swim jigs. ran into three people also doing tournament prep and a couple of guys in bass boats and they were all having rough days, best story i heard was three dinks throwing jerkbaits. it was high air pressure with a bluebird sky and calm winds so i think they were just being pushed into cover and finicky. post-front poo poo.

it's supposed to be blowing 15-20mph on tournament day and have a chance of rain, so it's going to suck rear end being on the kayak. i think my current strat is just rigging up moving baits - jerkbaits, lipless, chatterbait, swim jig - run them past weeds, drift with the current as best as i can, and hope i pull up five keepers and the weather isn't too heinous.

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

Southern Cassowary posted:

it's supposed to be blowing 15-20mph on tournament day and have a chance of rain, so it's going to suck rear end being on the kayak.

Have you tried playing around with drift socks/sea anchors on windy days with the kayak? I'm usually fishing alone on big windy lakes with my 14' canoe and it was a game changer, slows the drift way down and keeps me from constantly spinning.

https://www.amazon.com/Drift-Contro...=8-1&th=1&psc=1

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Mr. Barnesworth posted:

Have you tried playing around with drift socks/sea anchors on windy days with the kayak? I'm usually fishing alone on big windy lakes with my 14' canoe and it was a game changer, slows the drift way down and keeps me from constantly spinning.

https://www.amazon.com/Drift-Contro...=8-1&th=1&psc=1

absolutely something i've looked at but never tried, will have to keep this in mind. you like this one?

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

absolutely something i've looked at but never tried, will have to keep this in mind. you like this one?

Yeah, the thick plastic 'fishermans series' model has snagged a few times and hasn't torn, size depends on how much braking you want but I went with the 30".

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Got a Ned Rig kit from Zman today, used the TRD Ticklerz in the kit and caught two bass and a big bluegill. Apparently these "ticklerz" baits are the poo poo for bass and work well for inshore saltwater species as well. Gonna test that out soon when we take the skiff out on friday.

If anyone is not familiar with Ned Rigs this is how they work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiI7L-aMr-0

It's a different fishing philosophy for sure, but I've heard and read stories about people pulling in lots respectable fish on light tackle. Works especially great for high pressure areas where the fish are getting harassed all day, the lighter the better.

I was using a medium heavy rod with 20lb braid and 15lb leader which is my lightest setup, and could tell I was too heavy. I'm going to get a super light setup and really put this to the test in salt and fresh water. I have a trip to the keys planned in the summer and I'm gonna try this on bonefish as well.

[e] turns out I have a medium fast rod so all I need is a 2500 or 3000 reel and some super light line and leader lol, will report back

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 3, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i got some ned rig stuff years ago and i only really bust it out when i see the little 8-10 inch bass schooling really shallow

i can't throw it more than about 10 or 15 feet on medium spinning tackle, idk how you'd throw it on a medium heavy unless you have heavier jig heads

the thing i've been really curious about is a tiny child rig, which uses a ned-style soft plastic with a small worm hook and a nail weight to kind of do the ned thing but weedless

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah it was my first time trying it and I could tell right away the rod was too heavy for the jig. My son used a medium and he did fine but we were still using too heavy of a line for these, if we go lighter I'm sure we'll get way more bites. All I need is a smaller reel for each of us with 8 to 10 pound braid.

I also got some of the heavier weedless lock type jigheads that Zman makes but I've used similar (I think) rig you're talking about with the TRD Craws, not really a ned rig per se, but acts the same way, a ned rig specific jig will just be easier to setup and use.

These are the weedless jigs i got: https://zmanfishing.com/collections/terminal-tackle/products/finesse-bulletz

We fish lots of big, open shallow flats inshore (way more than fresh water) so it will be ideal for redfish, snook, flounder and trout as well.

My goal is to be dialed in with a setup before going to the keys because i think it will be perfect for bonefish.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 3, 2024

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

crossposting

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

tournament was supposed to be today but it was gusting 25mph and the winds were already making the waves like a foot tall+, and the storm's only supposed to get worse a few hours from now

i went out for five minutes and very quickly said "gently caress this" and went back

there were six other guys at the ramp wondering why we didn't push it back and i spent longer bsing with them than on the water.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dang that sucks dude

We have a tournament coming up in Feb in the Keys as well, I'm really hoping the weather is going to cooperate but you never know. Six hour drive there for us with reservations for lodging and a guide so it would really suck if it got cancelled, really hoping for good conditions.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Dang that sucks dude

We have a tournament coming up in Feb in the Keys as well, I'm really hoping the weather is going to cooperate but you never know. Six hour drive there for us with reservations for lodging and a guide so it would really suck if it got cancelled, really hoping for good conditions.

You can probably get trip insurance. I'm gonna get insurance on my Cedros trip next year, it's like less than $90 on a $3000 trip.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

got a jackhammer to try

they're better than the normal chatterbaits but it's also in the bottom of the lake rn. the jackhammer experience.

i think i'm going to hold off on getting more until i get a moderate or moderate-fast action rod for throwing moving baits, almost ripped the hook out of the bass's mouth on the mh/f worm rod even with tying on a leader to try to mitigate that. he smacked that thing fast though.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've invested so much money in chatterbaits but still haven't figured them out. I've done alright, but no better than any other moving bait. They're very popular around here but I just haven't put it together. I agree that the jackhammer is the best performing of the bunch. I've got a couple of the Berkley ones, they don't seem to start up quite like the JHs and require a faster speed to do their thing, but they come through wood and rocks slightly better which isn't saying much. The minimax is a good one, starts up well and is a nice size. I've found the 1/4oz ones don't run as well, maybe too light. The new Evos seem nice. Good action, excellent colors, paint and construction. The paint on jackhammer blades will flake off just from the action of the lure, the Evos look a little better coated. They're also a pretty reasonable price. I haven't tried the Strike King version yet but it's popular here too.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

what are you using for trailers

felt like i had the best results with just a small paddletail swimbait but sample size. tried zakos and craws also, haven't done like the spunk shad/chatterspike type things yet

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm convinced a 3 to 4 inch paddletail (more specifically Zmans) is the best overall lure for anything and everything.

That being said my son is a lure collector, he treats them like Hotwheels or something and 70% of them don't really work all that well. But all the marketing for this poo poo makes it seem like you'll catch a ton of fish, the social media marketing in particular is ridiculous. I've read and heard stories about people catching fish with live bait then putting whatever the trending lure is in the fish's mouth. Don't believe everything you see people :v:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Applebees Appetizer posted:

But all the marketing for this poo poo makes it seem like you'll catch a ton of fish, the social media marketing in particular is ridiculous. I've read and heard stories about people catching fish with live bait then putting whatever the trending lure is in the fish's mouth. Don't believe everything you see people :v:

greg blanchard, a big kayak bass youtuber, films behind the scenes stuff of all the film he does for native kayaks and the degree they go to get shots is loving wild. they're booking guide trips to get kayak b-roll lol.

on one of the trips they found a bass floundering with a crappie stuck in its mouth and they pulled out the crappie, stuck it in the livewell, and used it for footage of him "landing" that fish later. was nuts.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

greg blanchard, a big kayak bass youtuber, films behind the scenes stuff of all the film he does for native kayaks and the degree they go to get shots is loving wild. they're booking guide trips to get kayak b-roll lol.

on one of the trips they found a bass floundering with a crappie stuck in its mouth and they pulled out the crappie, stuck it in the livewell, and used it for footage of him "landing" that fish later. was nuts.

Bass fishing content creators is some of the hardest to produce and the market is incredibly saturated with creators. I don't watch any of those folks anymore as the sport of professional bass fishing seems to have gone way beyond what was sustainable. Every lake close to civilization has countless bass tournaments on the calendar. Some multiple a weekend. Its never been harder to be a bass fisherman at any level on public water.

There is a silver lining though. Almost every other species that aren't bass seem to thrive in comparison. Days on the water for crappie, catfish, striper, hybrid stripers, and white bass are often incredible days. They also produce fine meels! (outside of striper, striper suck).

I have basically zero drive to bass fish anymore. I can't imagine spending all day to catch a handful of bass when I can spend that time actually catching fish.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i am thankfully far from civilization in a bass fishing paradise and i have a line on some lakes without public boat ramps so i can still go out and crush easily. i get what you mean though - i see the guys fishing for specks pulling in like 60 a day and think they have the right of it sometimes.

as far as content creators though - youtube's probably suggested to me, no joke, several dozen if not hundreds of "here's my kayak setup!!!" videos at this point. 99% of them are entirely unremarkable, people doing the same ten or fifteen thousand dollar fish finder/battery/blackpak pro/electric motor setup, and it's only once in a blue moon you get a person who does something creative that fixes a problem they're having cause they're fishing a lot. i like the guy with 3d printed horizontal rod racks, or the guy putting a fish finder on the stern of his kayak with a swiveling seat so if spot lock turns him around he can just do a 180 and still fish off livescope. poo poo like that tells me you're thinking about pain points on the water, which is cool. the rest are like, why does this exist.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I really love kayak fishing and I did a lot of it in my life. The hardest thing to get new kayak fishermen to accept is that they have to choose a strength for a kayak and accept it will do everything else not as well. You want the longest range possible? Accept that its going to be heavy, expensive, and less stable to stand on. You want the most stable kayak? Accept its range is going to decrease, its going to be heavy, and the wind is going to have its way with you. Want something light you can carry on your back to less traveled creeks? Well stability, a bit of safety, and storage is going to take a big hit. These kayak rigging videos seem to sell the idea that your kayak can do everything and that just isn't true.

And I just can't trust content creators to give me the honest truth most of the time anymore. Even folks like greg blanchard have sponsors and they have to sell the lie. Only richard gene the fishing machine is going to give you the full honest truth on how to catch fish. He is the bob ross of fishing. May he live forever.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i've got a pretty good idea of what i want from my next kayak as i've spent hundreds of hours in my current one and know what irritates me about it. pedal drive, more stability, higher seat, and i'm willing to deal with a little more weight to get there. want something i can still toss in the bed of a truck but it might need a cart to get to and from the ramp rather than just being easily dragged, but if it needs a trailer it's too fuckin much. i've got a list of poo poo i want to test drive whenever i put together the funds for it.

greg is interesting because i like watching a guy fish a tournament and he knows how to make a video better than most but i've never felt the need to try anything pure fishing due to his videos as he's clearly sponsored by them. most of what i try now a days is like accumulating wisdom of the crowds knowledge, talking to locals, reading old-school bass fishing forums, and just trying poo poo. works okay.

honestly i think the best youtubers for learning poo poo for fishing are guides in your area. i've gotten way more out of seeing how guides fish like, okeechobee, kissimmee, harris chain, and toho than any of the major content creators. not really dealing with sponsor poo poo, it's like "yeah it's january and i'm throwing prop bait to entice fish on beds rn."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Just a tip, if you are person who enjoys high end reels, now is the time to buy. The Yen is way down and has been for a while, you can enjoy as much as a 50% discount from ordering reels from japan. Same for rods and whatever else you like.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Sickening posted:

Just a tip, if you are person who enjoys high end reels, now is the time to buy. The Yen is way down and has been for a while, you can enjoy as much as a 50% discount from ordering reels from japan. Same for rods and whatever else you like.

Do you have any recommendations for good sources?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cassius Belli posted:

Do you have any recommendations for good sources?

DIGITAKA and JDM TACKLE HEAVEN are the ones I have used in the past and they are both fine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sickening posted:

I really love kayak fishing and I did a lot of it in my life. The hardest thing to get new kayak fishermen to accept is that they have to choose a strength for a kayak and accept it will do everything else not as well. You want the longest range possible? Accept that its going to be heavy, expensive, and less stable to stand on. You want the most stable kayak? Accept its range is going to decrease, its going to be heavy, and the wind is going to have its way with you. Want something light you can carry on your back to less traveled creeks? Well stability, a bit of safety, and storage is going to take a big hit. These kayak rigging videos seem to sell the idea that your kayak can do everything and that just isn't true.

It's the same with the poling skiff market altho way more money is involved. You can spend over 100 grand on a full carbon fiber 17' poling skiff. The first time I ever stepped foot on a true poling skiff was in the Keys on a charter, the captain had a Hell's Bay Marquesa. At the time I had no clue about them, all I knew is it was this little boat with a poling platform that can float in spit, and from the size I just assumed they were inexpensive. When I asked how much I would expect to spend on a skiff like his ($80k) I literally choked on my Mountain Dew. poo poo is nuts.

Also was just watching a video with my son that was a bunch of dudes tuna fishing in the gulf with the owner of NLBN lures. At the beginning of the video they were catching bait for the livewell and later on showed literally on camera someone that just pulled in a tuna and another guy comes from off camera (product placement guy probably) and puts one of the NLBN lures in it's mouth not even trying to hide it saying "he just pulled this in on this lure" yeah ok then what was all that live bait for if ya'll are lure fishing? It's a loving joke, and NLBN lures suck I've used them and they don't hold up for poo poo compared to Zman, it's not even close.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i've got two heuristics for fishing lures at this point

- if the locals are all using a local company for lures, it's probably pretty good. in florida bass fishing, this is gambler.
- if you're learning a technique, just buy the lure that's the standard setter for the technique. throwing stickbaits? buy senkos.

if it falls outside of one of those two things, i'm explicitly looking to problem solve a problem i have with an existing technique that works, but i'd like to tweak something about it, and i'm seeing if someone has the same paint point i do. i try to buy fishing poo poo with intent. sometimes you gently caress around just to find out, artificial lures are (mostly) cheap, but my success rate on doing that is much lower than just following the above.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I normally use senkos for Bass fishing (wacky rig FTW), but the Ned Rig stuff has been working really well too so far and I'm glad I invested in that, especially with using a lightweight setup now, coming from saltwater it's always been about heavier setups so I'm learning the art of finesse and it's been super fun. Well worth it. I got a 2500 Diawa MQ on sale and put some 10lb braid on it lol, have never gone that light ever I think 20lb is the lightest line I've ever used around here.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

this is why i wear gloves

was unhooking a 3 pounder on the kayak and it got me in the glove so bad i had to scissor them off the hooks on shore. hands are unscathed, i just pulled the glove off.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Wearing protection gets you into a lax mindset where you expect to be injured. Fish naked.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ugh I hate treble hooks, I usually switch them all out for inline hooks. Not as many hook ups but way easier to deal with for me and the fish.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Big fan of crimping barbs/barbless hooks after embedding a barbed one in the pad of my thumb.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Personal favorite is clipping one treble off and then bumping down the barb but not necessarily making it flat.

Also bronzed hooks are thinner and bend out when snagged. Cheap to replace and saves your expensive lure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Are those fishing phone apps worth the money?