Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

americanzero4128 posted:

drat, this is what I've been doing wrong.

Edit - for a quality post, I've been using an Infinite Discs Alpaca putter for the past couple months (because it has the coolest art if you get the marauder stamp) and it's doing pretty well for me. The new Alien Aztec stamp is pretty cool though too. I throw my discs based off what artwork is cool and so far it hasn't let me down.

Thoughtspace has ton of great artwork on their discs. It's 100% gotten me to give them a shot, and I ended up bagging a couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Bandire posted:

Thoughtspace has ton of great artwork on their discs. It's 100% gotten me to give them a shot, and I ended up bagging a couple.

And they're manufactured by MVP, so the plastic itself is really good too.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

You know, I intended to mention that in my post, but it fell out of my brain before I finished typing.

Currently bagging a Pathfinder for straight to slightly understable mid shots and a Mantra for longer turnover shots. I picked up a couple Constructs I'm still figuring out as well. The art on all of them is great.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've got a Mantra and a Construct in my backpack, and they're pretty good flying discs.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Played Nevin last week before usdgc and that course kicked our asses. I spectated dgpt finals there last year and it was way more fun to play Nevin than it was to spectate. Looking forward to finals there this week and seeing the pros birdy holes that I got an 8 on.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

americanzero4128 posted:

drat, this is what I've been doing wrong.

Edit - for a quality post, I've been using an Infinite Discs Alpaca putter for the past couple months (because it has the coolest art if you get the marauder stamp) and it's doing pretty well for me. The new Alien Aztec stamp is pretty cool though too. I throw my discs based off what artwork is cool and so far it hasn't let me down.

This is why Thoughtspace rocks. I just ordered another glow Pathfinder and another Praxis. The putter/mids addiction is real. I’ve got Rainmakers, Envys (Envies?), Zones, a Berg, an Inner Core, a Sky God, and a Praxis for good measure. My midrange selection includes a Pathfinder, an Anubis, an MD3, and a Mana. I want to try the Ice Quake that Another Round sells because it looks like it’ll fit the overstable midrange spot well. Who needs Destroyers and DD3s?

I also just got selected to be a brand ambassador for Upper Park! Making stupid videos on Instagram is finally paying off. I should get my code here soon if anybody wants to buy something from them. The Rebel I got for Christmas last year has been amazing. Plenty of space to put everything you could possibly need.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

NickRoweFillea posted:

I also just got selected to be a brand ambassador for Upper Park! Making stupid videos on Instagram is finally paying off. I should get my code here soon if anybody wants to buy something from them. The Rebel I got for Christmas last year has been amazing. Plenty of space to put everything you could possibly need.

That's pretty cool. I bought myself a Rebel for Christmas last year. Its pretty much perfect, but as a nit pick I wish it were a little more stable on uneven ground. Overall I'm really happy with it.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

NickRoweFillea posted:

This is why Thoughtspace rocks. I just ordered another glow Pathfinder and another Praxis. The putter/mids addiction is real. I’ve got Rainmakers, Envys (Envies?), Zones, a Berg, an Inner Core, a Sky God, and a Praxis for good measure. My midrange selection includes a Pathfinder, an Anubis, an MD3, and a Mana. I want to try the Ice Quake that Another Round sells because it looks like it’ll fit the overstable midrange spot well. Who needs Destroyers and DD3s?

Thats pretty cool, congrats.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I love upper park. can't imagine carrying anything but a shift.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

headcase posted:

same. I got one ~5 years ago and it's just perfect for me.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Shanked my trusty Underworld into a cornfield and it vanished. Rip

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

headcase posted:

Sometimes I click into a thread and I can't remember which thread I clicked on, and context clues don't help. This is one of those times

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

https://www.upperparkdiscgolf.com/products/thenewshift

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

I have a shift and a rebel and they own. Comfortable and durable

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I loved my Rebel but eventually gave it up because the way the water bottle holders wrap around your body means you whack yourself with your water bottle whenever you pick up or put down the bag.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I think I’m becoming a Zone guy for real. It’s helping me develop a forehand.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

NickRoweFillea posted:

I think I’m becoming a Zone guy for real. It’s helping me develop a forehand.

I get one throw out of it every 50 holes, but it never leaves the bag. Imo rhynos, pigs, md5s, harps, etc are all pretty much the same disc, but pretty much everyone I know has 1 of these to scramble with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z36d8FU11-w

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

I'll throw my Underworld this weekend in memory of yours. Gone but not forgotten.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Salt Fish posted:

I get one throw out of it every 50 holes, but it never leaves the bag. Imo rhynos, pigs, md5s, harps, etc are all pretty much the same disc, but pretty much everyone I know has 1 of these to scramble with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z36d8FU11-w

It's tight to see folks rip forehand putters longer than I can drive. Good homework for someone who is poop at throwing forehands, anyways.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mcqueen posted:

It's tight to see folks rip forehand putters longer than I can drive. Good homework for someone who is poop at throwing forehands, anyways.

If you want to see some rips check out this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYKE2xBuVRs

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Salt Fish posted:

If you want to see some rips check out this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYKE2xBuVRs

Really instills the thought that I’m trying too hard. Dude rips so mellow.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

My cleanest bombs always feel too easy.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Form is better than power.

Unfortunately I have neither, so

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

:same:

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

I've been working on finding that smoothness in my throws.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I can throw my Mako3 (and seemingly ONLY my Mako3) pretty drat smooth, straight, flat, and (relatively)far from a standstill. I can not replicate that throw with any other disc, no matter what I try. That thing just feels right.

Or a GStar Wraith forehand, which also Just Feels Right.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I’m gonna tap my sign that says “Throw far from standing still before running up” because I’m not that good and it feels good to say theory that sounds right lmao. Going to go throw some discs rn actually

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Slow is smooth and smooth is far

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
My mako3 chafes my index finger so bad.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Rotten Cookies posted:

Form is better than power.

True, but having 30" biceps probably doesn't hurt.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Rotten Cookies posted:

I can throw my Mako3 (and seemingly ONLY my Mako3) pretty drat smooth, straight, flat, and (relatively)far from a standstill. I can not replicate that throw with any other disc, no matter what I try. That thing just feels right.

That's how I was with a comet. Could only really throw it stand still, and couldn't replicate with any other disc. I could throw it 200 feet when everything else was fading out at 100 feet. Then got better with my putter, and started to have 2 discs I could throw straight. Then I started tossing with a heat cause it kinda threw like the comet and seemed to match my arm speed better than most drivers.

I ended up with a 4 disc bag and I like the simplicity. slightly stable putter out to ~175 feet. neutral/flippy mid ranged out to ~250 feet. neuatrual/flippy 8-10 driver for ~285-300 feet. Then an overstable disk for when that's needed (I like 6-7ish with not much glide, currently an mvp resistor)

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

thotsky posted:

My mako3 chafes my index finger so bad.

I picked up a Star Mako3 last year since everyone raves about them, and it had a crazy amount of flashing on the inner rim that I had to sand down. I can't throw it (or a Buzzz) straight to save my life, but I'm sure that's just my form/release. Eclipse Hex is my straightest mid.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Bandire posted:

I picked up a Star Mako3 last year since everyone raves about them, and it had a crazy amount of flashing on the inner rim that I had to sand down. I can't throw it (or a Buzzz) straight to save my life, but I'm sure that's just my form/release. Eclipse Hex is my straightest mid.

Also in the Lizotl crew. That thing is so smooth and straight. It just has a tiny fade at the end due to the plastic. So perfect.

Rotten Cookies posted:

This is probably nose angle. Mako is probably the most forgiving non-putter.

headcase fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 19, 2023

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

I threw my Underworld into a pond today. Seems like a problem with the disc if two of us are throwing them places they aren't meant to go. I was able to get mine back, fortunately.

I threw it on slight anhyzer to get around a tree on a 270' hole, wind caught it and pushed it over more, turned into a bouncing roller, kept getting close to the water, and took one final bounce over the brush at water's edge and took a swim. Just how I envisioned my throw.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

True, but having 30" biceps probably doesn't hurt.

It’s so true. So many of the pros like Gannon, Eagle, and Ezra are built like literal trebuchets. Well over 6’ and arms just about as long as arms get. Garrett Gurthie might be an exception at 5’10”.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

There’s short pros like Mason Ford, Emerson Keith, McBeth is only 5’8. The guys who throw over 600 tend to be tall, but not always, and the women who crush aren’t all giants.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Brain Curry posted:

There’s short pros like Mason Ford, Emerson Keith, McBeth is only 5’8. The guys who throw over 600 tend to be tall, but not always, and the women who crush aren’t all giants.

That's a good point. Ella Hansen is a normal sized human.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

Muir posted:

That's a good point. Ella Hansen is a normal sized human.

So is Eliezra, and she smashes on golf lines. Was crazy watching everyone else in the distance comp throw sky high annys hoping they would fight out and then this 16 year old kid bombs lasers you could throw on a course and shows them up. Had a chance to talk to her after USDGC and she hasn’t practiced distance lines since they’re so fickle and not useful on the course. If she ever decides to practice them she could really push all time numbers.

They recorded the distance comp this year for DGN and maybe eventually YouTube. They had skyote chasing the drives with his drones so the coverage should be amazing when it releases.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

headcase posted:

This is probably nose angle. Mako is probably the most forgiving non-putter.

Oh most definitely. I've filmed my throws before, and I must not have a very flexible wrist because even when I feel like I have my hand pointing down and pouring the coffee, it's still coming out flat.

Or I throw right into the dirt. Mission accomplished?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Played a short course with a buddy this morning and homie had 3 near aces including 2 hitting the chains. Incredible how lucky and unlucky, what a game.