Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

My current bike commute is riding the rollers for 30 minutes before work from home.
It loving sucks.

Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Good fenders own.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

A helmet is yet another item to accessorize with.

My helmet looks rad as gently caress.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Cugel the Clever posted:

This. It also keeps offers moderate protection against silly mishaps. Don't wear a helmet if you have to go out of your way to do it, but otherwise put that poo poo on your skull.

Sure, a helmet won't protect you against a sociopath in an F150 hitting you dead-on at 60 MPH and we need to destroy car culture, but overreacting to the bad faith arguments of the anti-bike crowd and going full "HELMETS ARE INSTRUMENTS OF OPPRESSION AND SHOULDN'T BE RECOMMENDED" is just bizarre to me.

Oh sure, maybe, but look at this fuckin' thing.

Like, I'm struggling to think why someone wouldn't want to wear a sweetass accessory. I guess folks who don't want to muss their hairdos?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

TenementFunster posted:

drat it looks like that rad mystic paint they put on mustang cobras back in the late 90s too

It's prolly safer than a 90s mustang tho

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I like that bicheal.

I agree it's quite a small rack but it still looks big enough to put panniers on (although maybe too close to avoid heel-rub)?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

aldantefax posted:

I'd like to begin commuting again to my office next year in Austin when I'll have moved to a new place. Same office, new residence. I haven't done it in awhile and the new commute will bring the one-way trip from about 4 to 5 miles with some uphill/downhill to about 11 miles (depending on routing). Google Maps says I have about 1 hr 10 min one way for the commute. I normally work from 11 to 8, so I have plenty of time off most rush hours, and even in the summer the ride home will be at or after dusk.

Question here is, is it worthwhile to save up for an e-bike with integrated lights to use for this commute? I have a Salsa Fargo and it's treated me well but the thought of 2 hours in the saddle on commute makes me a little weak-kneed, and also I had a rather embarrassing problem of running out of battery life on my lights. An e-bike, I think, would help with night-time commuting (integrated lights!) as well as getting some extra assist boost uphill and on straightways. I'll have it garaged with electricity at both locations, but maybe I want to also use it to make errand stops on the way to/from work and around Austin's downtown. Budget-wise, I'm looking at something like the Trek Allant+, so 6k USD would be around the target (with some flexibility).

(link: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/electric-hybrid-bikes/allant/allant-9-9s-stagger/p/30259/?colorCode=black_red)

In terms of "is it realistic to bike that far on a regular work night", I did do the other commute 5 days a week for several months before my work priorities changed pre-lockdown. I think I'd be comfortable with the commute once I got back into it.

I don't think that's an unreasonable distance to be commuting, but there are a few things that would sway me one way or the other on the e-bike. Personally, I have trouble riding 11 miles without getting a bit sweaty. #goonproblems I guess. My approach has been to shower once I get to work, so it isn't actually adding time to my morning routine, just shifting it around, but for some folks that isn't an option. If you don't have the option to shower at work (or close by - I use a gym in the building), then an ebike could make the difference, especially during the summer.
The other constraint I'd be mindful of is if there are times when that 1 hour commute (I think you'd be able to get quite a bit faster with practice - that's the kind of distance that builds fitness quickly!) becomes a hassle for after-work activities. Having the option to go brrrrr and get home on an electric motorcycle could be the difference between having to drive that day, I guess.
I don't think anyone can tell you 100% this only makes sense one way or another - you're going to need to evaluate that for yourself (and the impact of that $6k cost). I'd suggest trying the commute route out now to get a feel for how feasible or challenging it seems - probably the best way to build confidence for tackling it under your own steam, or make you certain you'd prefer the ebike option.

All that aside, your desire for built-in lights is a good one. If you don't decide to get an e-bike, you can still get built-in lights in the form of a dynamo hub. It's a bit spendy, but nowhere near "new e-bike" level, and if you are a bit electrically & mechanically savvy you can save quite a bit.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

A dynamo is probably the purchase that has given me the most peace of mind on my commuter.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

I love the exercise, but I don't think I'd want 2+ h of commute and forced exercise no matter how I felt every work day.

No, it honestly owns.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Killswitch posted:

Yea, the commute exercise is great. Honestly my mental health is suffering a bit these days with WFH, the daily exercise was really helpful and I’m too lazy to just “go ride” in the mornings

:same:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Please take lots of pics, I wanna see this.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kecske posted:

After some poking around it turns out the pinch bolts on the crank arm are a few mm too long and were bottoming out before they were getting tight enough. The axle splines on the outer third on each side had worn down while the middle third was weirdly fine? A bit of wrapping the axle with silver tape took up some of the wear, and putting in a small spring washer on the pinch bolts means the crank arm holds a lot better now.

I'll have to order a new crankset though and I guess threaded bottom bracket. What's good on a budget?

gonna need you to post some kind of more detailed information if you want help.
like pics.
The range of what is a reasonable budget depends entirely on the type of crank you need.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kecske posted:

it's all stock shimano. Hollowtech BB, r2000 compact gearset (50x34T). I was pretty happy with how it felt to ride with. I guess my priority is just something a little more durable that doesnt explode into shards under my corpulent mass

A new BB is cheap - like $20?
A new crankset of the same model should be like $75 or so. Finding it in stock might be hard.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

What kind of rain you get changes the equation a bit.
For PNW rain which is rarely torrential, full coverage fenders with flaps make a tremendous difference in how wet I get.

My rainy commute setup is: full fenders, if it's warm I'll just run booties over regular shoes, if it's cold I have winter waterproof boots, a shake dry jacket (spendy but amazing), and a change of clothes for the office.
A fan for the office and a boot dryer are helpful for avoiding having to put soggy clothes back on to go home (but a spare pair of socks in case the first didn't dry is a great luxury).

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

alanthecat posted:

The director of my local bike advocacy organisation (@nm, Sacramento) called my my bike a "POS" and I don't know what to do.

It's a 2017 aluminium Bianchi which I was explicitly advised in this thread against buying!

https://imgur.com/a/4ysubTx

In my mind I should write a blog about how great my bike is. Like, it's great for getting to work and buying groceries.

// Lol, the replies to my earlier post are good. Obviously I didn't listen but that guy Hadlock offering to steal my bike to quicken the pain was funny.

Man it's like you've never looked at an accessory and NOT purchased it.

Do you have some impulso control issues?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

aparmenideanmonad posted:

The worst part about Entropist is that they are in a great position to provide a cool biking perspective, especially in this thread, but instead they poo poo on everyone for taking commuting "too seriously", aka, not doing it the way they do. I gave them the benefit of the doubt for a solid 2 years of mostly lurking before coming to this realization. And my perspective is that of someone who got into bikes from commuting to classes in undergrad/grad school/early academic jobs on an old rear end hardtail MTB I got as a teenager that I would probably still ride to this day if it hadn't been stolen.

This is super astute.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

TobinHatesYou posted:

This is from a highly disputed study with a really small sample size and a dubious premise. Average passing distance doesn’t matter because all it takes is one occurrence of passing too close or someone just straight plowing into you because “I never saw him.” Individual people aren’t killed by averages.

Anyway, as someone who both drives and rides bikes, I give more space when passing at low speed to riders who look wobbly or otherwise can’t hold their line. It has nothing to do with whether they’re wearing a helmet.

It may be a bit dumb, but when riding solo when a car approaches behind me, if I am not in a situation where I'm just taking the lane, I will make a bit of a wobble back and forth just to make it feel like they can't pass super close. No clue if it really makes a difference.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I carry a change of clothes with me (in the beforetimes). My commute is pretty long and the likelihood of rain is too high much of the year to get away with riding in my work clothes.

If you have the space at work to store things, you can ride in with a week's worth of clothes at the beginning of the week so you aren't carrying clothes every day, and even just leaving some things there entirely (shoes are bulky and heavy, for example, and belts are annoying to forget).

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Al2001 posted:

As ever it's dependent on distance/effort/riding posture. 2 miles in a relatively upright posture, not aiming for KOMs is a breeze in denim. And you arrive at the bar looking not like a total dorkus.

Showing up at the bar in bright colors and with the outline of my dong visible through my shorts is how I make my best impressions, though.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

VideoGameVet posted:

Calvin Klein makes some really comfy jeans. No issue cycling with them.

Good bikes, too.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

slicing up eyeballs posted:

aight here's a fun/stupid question. are there any workout routines to make carrying a bike up/down stairs less taxing? and/or, some recommendation on form so I don't aggravate my old-person shoulder?

e: I'm guessing generic "core" exercises and bicep curls but if there's something more formally defined, that would be dope.

The only one guaranteed to work is the one-handed creditcard swipe for a lighter bike.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

My work is now just far enough that I can't run commute both ways (5.5 miles one way by the short route, 7.5 by the pleasurable route) and I'm debating whether to keep bikeshare commuting or not in the Boston area. The pros for the bikeshare are that there's convenient docks at both ends, don't have to worry about maintenance, membership is subsidized so it's very cheap ($30/year), and I can also bike one way and run the other without having to worry about the bike (I do the bike/run double all the time; though we do have a covered cage at my job). The con is that the bikes are heavy and I'm working pretty hard to go much above 12 mph on the bike path, I can't dial in fit (but I'm reasonably comfortable on them), and I don't have a bike that I can take on rides longer than 45 minutes. Basically, I think for it to be worth it, I'd need a decent road bike that'd be nice for weekend cruising, but it seems like most people don't use good road bikes for commuting; even if I got a road bike to solve the weekend riding issue, would I want to use it in place of the bike share? Looking for opinions from people who've been commuting a lot longer than I have.

I commute (in the beforetimes, my office is still closed) on what I think most people would consider a good road bike. It's actually a cyclocross bike, but I've set it up with fenders, a dynamo light, and racks, and it's still nice enough that I like riding it for fun whenever it's wet or dark.
It's hard to argue with the economics of $30/year for the bikeshare - nothing is going to be cheaper than that, so think you're on the right track with making sure that whatever you get is going to work for recreational riding, too. I'd suggest you figure out what kind of budget and riding style you have in mind for that, and we can probably make better recommendations with that info.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Will my throat ever adjust to biking in cold weather or am I just going to have a cough forever? I have a buff for really cold weather, but I'd rather not wear it on slightly cold days if I could be building up some tolerance instead.

I don't know if "tolerance" to throat irritation is a thing. I do find myself not noticing it being as big a deal after a month or so of colder weather riding though. I definitely wear a buff when cold, I don't like being uncomfortable.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Steel is real!

(It makes no difference for casual riding and if you really get into it, it really depends on what type of steel)
Bah, edit-edit:
Rough terms:
Aluminum: Light, cheap(ish). Transmits a lot of roadbuzz
Carbon: Very light, expensive. Transmits some roadbuzz. Has a tendency to explode when bikes are dropped on curbs
Steel: The right type of steel can be almost as light as the above. Wrong type is much much much heavier. Transmits a lot less roadbuzz. Price will vary.

This is a good summary, but I'll qualify it by saying: modern aluminum isn't very buzzy, and even the most extreme light steel frame is still typically at least a pound heavier than a typical modern carbon road frame, and super light carbon frames weigh less than half as much as super light steel ones.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

nwin posted:

I’ve had a cannondale synapse with a carbon frame, a Caad12 in aluminum frame (with carbon fork), and a jamis renegade with a steel frame.

I...don’t notice any difference in how they ride yet, save for the geometry:

The synapse was much more comfortable than the Caad for any ride over 40 miles. Both had bike fits on them but who knows.

The jamis is only used to commute about 5 moles each way. It’s got 38’s on the wheels set up tubeless and I still don’t see a lot of difference in how it absorbs the road much different than my caad12 with 28’s on it.

Maybe I’m broken.

Nah. I think a lot of people haven't recalibrated their perceptions of what aluminum rides like since huge round tube Cannondales or Kleins on 23mm tires.

Like poteto said, tires make waaaaay more difference than material. At most pricepoints, aluminum is going to be a better choice than other materials, especially in the commuting thread context.
And above a certain point (depending on your road quality, I guess) there's diminishing returns on that. Personally I notice differences between 28s and 35s, but almost no comfort difference between 35 and 42.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Just went up from 35 to 40 on my latest commuter, and there's a definite boost in confidence that I random grates, potholes, etc won't catch and destroy my wheel.

Oh, yeah, that's a great point.
If you ride somewhere with train/tram tracks, running like a 47 that can't actually get jammed in the tracks is loving sweet.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for budget winter gear?
I have the tops I need. The missing gear is the bottoms. Amazon is a miasma of garbage. Any inexpensive recommendations out there?

I have a pair of shimano bib tights (size L) that I'd be happy to sell for the cost of shipping. Got 'em on clearance from Amazon a couple weeks ago but they don't fit me right. Would rather pass em along than deal with returns (not even sure if I can since clearance).

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

evil_bunnY posted:

I've just ordered a Lupine SL SF precisely so I can blast back all the assholes blinding me on my errands.

loving hate the superbright lights aimed directly at my eyeballs on the MUP. Makes it impossible to know if I'm about to plow in to a pedestrian at night because I can't see anything but the huge ball of light coming at me.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CopperHound posted:

I wish more lights advertised how evenly they light up the road instead of the retina searing power.

The brightest light in the world isn't super helpful if it has hotspot that ruins your night vision.

I wish cutoff lenses were mandated (although yes, obviously, I know that would never, ever be enforced).

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CopperHound posted:

I'm a little less inclined to lean that way because a lot of people need whatever the cheapest thing they need to avoid police harassment.

A shaped lens doesn't have to be expensive. B&M sell tons of very cheap rechargeable battery lights with them, just not in the US.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CopperHound posted:

I should just try walking into the specialized shop down the street and just to see how the sales people respond to me asking for an stvzo certified light.

E: to be serious, If I could find a US supplier for stvzo lights for about $10 wholesale I would be so excited.

How about $10 retail?

https://www.bike24.com/p2246454.html?menu=1400,1410,1411

Or ask the US Cat Eye distributor to bring this in: https://www.bike24.com/p2346734.html?menu=1400,1410,1411

bicievino fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 2, 2020

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CopperHound posted:

I ordered 20. I hope they don't suck :v:

I'll have to ask the JBI rep about their cateye lineup next time we chat.

Cool. Please report back - at that price point I would order a bunch to have at my track for whenever we get back to racing so that folks who ride there but forget lights can get home safely.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Mauser posted:

Where do you guys live that police harass cyclists for minor infractions btw? Our police can't even be bothered to solve murders when they're not brutalizing the black population.

Sometimes the black population cycles. Then they get harassed for stupid poo poo like not wearing a helmet or having perfectly complying lights and reflectors.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

In normal temperatures I tend to drink about 400ml/hr. More if it's hot or I'm working hard.
I wouldn't expect someone to get severely dehydrated on their commute, tbh, but maybe if it's scorching (or they're breathing way hard cause of riding with a mask)?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Skooms posted:

Woof just commuted after the snowstorm in NYC. My removable fender.... really does not work. It's an SKS X-Tra-Dry rear fender. Does anyone have a recommendation for more functional removable fenders?

I've never found any removable fenders to be anything but annoying and substandard long term.
Real fenders aren't that hard to remove in the summer.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Finding a way to wall mount it and maybe get a little drip tray to protect the carpet is going to be way better for your piece of mind. A bike outside in a city overnight, especially in the same place, will get stolen eventually, regardless of the locks you use.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

There's a bald eagle that hangs out on the floating bridge that I (used to) commute across. Miss seeing that guy.
Also an insane number of bunnies.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Anza Borrego posted:

There are ospreys around San Diego that perch on a few spots along different routes I take, and there is a nest just off of a very popular route that I rode for the first time last week. They are so loving metal.

Some of the waterfront parks have huge rabbit populations and they scatter when you ride near. Gotta make sure you don’t rush. The dumb bastards over.

Love ospreys. We have one that lives next to our velodrome in a nest on our lights. It's pretty rad except that it shits all over the corner near its nest.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That sucks but I do have a suggestion. Real-talk, how cold is it? If it's some degrees (I've dealt with rain at 3 degrees Celsius) above freezing and you can tough it out, I genuinely recommend shorts, especially a pair used for running, soccer, basketball, or tennis. That sort of synthetic material is surprisingly water-proof, and your own legs are remarkably water-proof. Instead of getting water-logged in a pair of pants, just let the rain slide off your skin instead.

It's what I've done all winter and frankly it's incredibly how quickly you dry up. Carry a small towel with you, but you'll hardly need it.

lol what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

They're waiting on rain-pants. I personally can attest to shorts being better at keeping you drier than pants since there's less cloth to retain the water.

It's worked for me anyway. Rain-pants heat me up too much and I end up wetter from sweat than I do from the rain. Besides when it rains your torso gets hit far far more than your legs, and it's not like I'm not wearing a rain-coat.

Some people have different amounts of natural insulation, but it is objectively not normal to spend extended periods of time with no pants on at 3 degrees C, even if it's raining.