Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Djokovic status: to be deported

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Couldn’t have happened to a nicer fella

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So the reasoning on kicking him out was basically that he was a risk to public thought due to his antivaxx beliefs. That seems loving stupid, why not just kick him out because he's unvaccinated?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hirez posted:

Novaxx Djokovic is the loving worst

Novax Djocovid.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Xabi posted:

Djokovic status: to be deported

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeZQhtFD5N4

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002

General Dog posted:

So the reasoning on kicking him out was basically that he was a risk to public thought due to his antivaxx beliefs. That seems loving stupid, why not just kick him out because he's unvaccinated?

In short to avoid a precedent case. The Australian government wanted to avoid arguing based on the rules and regulations against a competent legal team. If they somehow lost then it would open the floodgates for anyone else with a 2 bit lawyer to just cite the case finding in order to gain entry.

Instead they went with a ministerial power which is legally watertight. They actually could have used pretty much any reason in conjunction with this law to get what they wanted. The Defence had to argue that the Minister for Immigration did not have the power to cancel the visa. That they tried to argue the reasoning was essentially a waste of time.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's hosed up they are playing tennis now the main event is over. Novak getting deported was my final

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

So France passed a new law requiring a certification confirming vaccination when entering public places, which means Djokovic might be banned from the French Open as well.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/33084380/novak-djokovic-barred-french-open-france-pass-vaccine-law

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

OneMoreTime posted:

So France passed a new law requiring a certification confirming vaccination when entering public places, which means Djokovic might be banned from the French Open as well.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/33084380/novak-djokovic-barred-french-open-france-pass-vaccine-law

Lmao if he's stuck on 20 forever

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

It could be possible! New York State has a similar law in place so I guess that'd leave Wimbledon?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

OneMoreTime posted:

It could be possible! New York State has a similar law in place so I guess that'd leave Wimbledon?

Would the NY law cover the open if the athletes didn't have NYC residence? I know unvaccinated NBA players can play at New York but Nets and Knicks players need to be vaccinated for home games.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

OneMoreTime posted:

The US currently requires anyone not a US citizen to be fully vaccinated to come into the country at all. So not just a NY thing rn.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Bip Roberts posted:

Would the NY law cover the open if the athletes didn't have NYC residence? I know unvaccinated NBA players can play at New York but Nets and Knicks players need to be vaccinated for home games.

EDIT: Also saw the above comment about requiring vaccination if non-US citizen traveling to US. So yeah, guess that's out unless he meets an exemption somehow.

OneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 17, 2022

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Is there any chance he just actually gets vaccinated or is he dug in too deep at this point?

sheri fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 17, 2022

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

sheri posted:

Is there any chance he just actually gets vaccinated or is he dug into deep at this point?

Seems unlikely, he seems to have a very naturalistic approach to healthcare to the point that he feels like you can purify water just by thinking positively about it, or thinking he had a gluten intolerance because he held a piece of bread and it made him feel weaker. This is on top of just being generally anti-vax before COVID was a thing.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Tennys Sandgren will also be stuck at 0 grand slams in 2022, shame

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

sheri posted:

The US currently requires anyone not a US citizen to be fully vaccinated to come into the country at all. So not just a NY thing rn.

Did this come in after last year's US open? Was there like some kind of grace period in 2021?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

spamman posted:

Did this come in after last year's US open? Was there like some kind of grace period in 2021?

It started November 8, 2021.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

sheri posted:

It started November 8, 2021.

Oh nice. I guess this will be tested at Indian Wells in March right?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

what's the current rule for the UK? it would be really, really funny if this keeps him locked on 20 major victories forever.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

harperdc posted:

what's the current rule for the UK? it would be really, really funny if this keeps him locked on 20 major victories forever.

At the moment, you can travel to the UK unvaccinated. However, there’s a ten-day isolation and you have to pay for two COVID tests on day 2 and 8 of quarantine. If you test positive you have isolate for 10 days from the time you receive your positive test results (so if take test on Day 8 but get a positive result back on day 12, then you have to isolate until day 22.)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I hope somehow Nadal wins the AO and is alone at 21. I like Federer a lot but I'd like Novak to not share in the record for a while.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Nah, I think the perfect end to the big 3 era would be a three way tie. Federer's my favorite, but his legacy's been the most affected by the lack of new blood rising up to challenge his rivals' dominance after his decline.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they're all dopers and should retire immediately and also tennis should be over

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

they're all dopers and should retire immediately and also tennis should be over

mods please take action against this extreme filth or make me IK of this thread so i can take care of it

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Is there a reason the lighting of the Australian Open looks especially insane besides it being noon in summer. I just feel like the contrast of the shadows is off the chart compared to any other tennis event.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

Is there a reason the lighting of the Australian Open looks especially insane besides it being noon in summer. I just feel like the contrast of the shadows is off the chart compared to any other tennis event.
Laver especially is a multi use facility so the lighting is more intense than center court at the other slams.

Plus we’re looking at blue (light) late at night.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
Djokovic-backed ‘biotech’ firm’s approach likened to homeopathy
QuantBioRes says it designs treatments for viral diseases based on electromagnetic frequency

Melissa Davey
Thu 20 Jan 2022 15.56 (CET)

A Danish “biotech” company in which Novak Djokovic holds a majority stake is working on a “frequency” treatment for Covid-19 that an expert says bears similarities to the principles of homeopathy.

The world No 1 men’s tennis player was forced to leave Australia on Sunday after the country’s immigration minister cancelled his visa on the basis that his presence in Australia might risk “civil unrest” as he is a “talisman of anti-vaccination sentiment”.

On Wednesday it emerged Djokovic had acquired an 80% stake in QuantBioRes, the website of which says it designs treatments for viral diseases and resistant bacteria through “predicting the electromagnetic frequency” that can interfere with a virus’s activity.

“At QuantBioRes, we work in utilising unique and novel Resonant Recognition Model … a biophysical model based on findings that certain periodicities/frequencies within the distribution of energies of free electrons along the protein are critical for protein biological function and interaction with protein receptors and other targets,” the website says.

It carries a quote from the Serbian-American scientist Nikola Tesla: “If you wish to understand the universe, think of energy, frequency and vibration.”

Dr Darren Saunders, an Australian biomedical scientist, said the approach described on the QuantBioRes website was reminiscent of homeopathy, an alternative and unproven treatment that claims illness-causing substances can, in minute doses, treat people who are unwell.

Homeopaths claim that by diluting these substances in water or alcohol, the resulting mixture retains an “imprint” of “frequency” of the original substance that triggers a healing response in the body by causing an energetic shift.

Saunders said in his opinion it was “a stretch” for QuantBioRes to call itself a biotech company. “The ‘innovative technology’ they describe on their website does not reflect contemporary understanding of how biochemistry works,” Saunders said. “If any athletes or other potential investors would like advice on not blowing their cash on this stuff, my fees are reasonable.”

The website says the company will “soon start testing different treatment approaches”, but a link encouraging people to “learn more” appeared to be broken when the Guardian attempted to access it. A link to a July 2020 announcement that QuantBioRes would test Covid-19 deactivation mechanisms also appeared to be broken.

Prof Peter Collignon, an infectious diseases physician and antimicrobial resistance expert, said the QuantBioRes website used “fancy terms” without providing any evidence of success of the methods it promoted. “They’ve given nothing in the way of data,” he said. “People are looking out for new molecules all the time, but the website describes a way of finding a new molecule without providing any evidence of success.”

The chief executive of QuantBioRes, Ivan Loncarevic, denied that the methods developed by his company had anything to do with homeopathy, and defended the lack of data on the company’s website.

“What we do has absolutely nothing to do with homeopathy,” he said in an interview. “The theory behind homeopathy is that you can transfer information from a chemical to another substance, such as water. What we do is to develop peptides with specific functionality. This is pure, classical science.

“Of course we are not putting our data on our website for every idiot to look at. We will soon publish an article in a scientific journal that will collect all our clinical testing.”

When asked when the article would be published, Loncarevic said: “With a little luck, in two to three months, after peer review.”

Asked about Saunders’ opinion that it was “a stretch” for QuantBioRes to call itself a biotech company and that the “innovative technology” described on its site did not reflect contemporary understanding of how biochemistry worked, Loncarevic replied: “That’s because we are innovative.”

He said other pioneers in engineering or science, such as Elon Musk and Galileo, had faced similar criticism when first airing their views. On the subject of broken links, he said this was the first time he had heard of the problem and “it’s not [done] on purpose”.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jan/20/djokovic-backed-biotech-firms-approach-likened-to-homeopathy

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Mannarino/Nadal is a very strange match right now. Mannarino has been softballing him a bit and it's actually working.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Seems like the draw is opening up for Nadal and I hate it. Anyone other than Nadal or Zverev and I was golden once Djokovic lost to the government.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Nadal getting to 21 after Djokovic got deported is the best possible outcome.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Really hoping for Ash Barty to win the Aus Open. :pray: :australia:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
So now it looks like Djokovic had the positive Covid test faked by a Serbian lab (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/59999541) and Nadal is through to the Australian open final so could take sole lead in the Grand Slam wins list at 21. With the French coming up next Djokovic could even find himself 2 down by the time Wimbledon rolls round.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Tennis right now. It is the final, the final of the Australian Open.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Nadal sweating like a madman. Rallies way too long for him to last if this would go to five.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
The Barty final was entertaining with her second set comeback and all. Glad she won it in the end :australia:

Kygios & Kokkinakis doubles matches have been entertaining too. Be interesting to see if they continue their great doubles combo in other slams.

As for Nadal v Medvedev... ehh don't really care for either player.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Fanatic posted:

As for Nadal v Medvedev... ehh don't really care for either player.

Ah, but consider that Medvedev spoiled Novaks Calendar Slam.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

Loves it

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Amoeba102 posted:

I'm onboard :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
daniil is a perfect heel i prefer being mad at him over djoko