Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Aces High posted:

On a different note, I decided to start watching The Handmaid's Tale, because of Elizabeth Moss, and I have to wonder if there's something I can watch her in where she can just, I dunno, be happy.

The Invisible Man is a loving awesome movie, Moss' character goes through the ringer early on but roars back fighting by the end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Adrianics posted:

The Invisible Man is a loving awesome movie, Moss' character goes through the ringer early on but roars back fighting by the end!

great movie but doesn't really fall under the umbrella of

Aces High posted:

something I can watch her in where she can just, I dunno, be happy.

especially since the theme of the entire movie is gaslighting in an abusive relationship

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

KellHound posted:

It's also fun because it's the ONLY TIME someone cares about the Campbell name

Also, for happy elizabeth moss watch The One I Love. She plays two people and one of them is happy

fun watch would recommend

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

kalel posted:

great movie but doesn't really fall under the umbrella of

especially since the theme of the entire movie is gaslighting in an abusive relationship

Oh I know, but I think the closest one can get to seeing her be "happy" is her getting revenge at the end

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Benagain posted:

fun watch would recommend

I think the marketing on The One I Love got so worried about "spoilers" they forgot to tell people what the movie was ACTUALLY about. Like an interview with Moss to promo it had her say "well it's about a couple who goes to an isolated house to fix their failing marriage, and that's all I'll tell you"

And left out the house makes "better" versions of both people in relationship in the first 10 mins. So the whole movie is about your idealized version of a partner at the start of a relationship vs who they really are and respecting/disrespecting your partner's boundaries. It's a real good movie that no one saw because no one knew was it was about.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The modern obsession with spoilers is so dumb.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I like not getting spoilers for things I haven't seen personally

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kalel posted:

I like not getting spoilers for things I haven't seen personally

Yeah me too, but if something is solely reliant on surprise for its impact it's not actually that great, and I feel like that's where we have got to. Would knowing the broad outline of mad men really have made you enjoy it less? Do you not enjoy things on a rewatch?

I think it's polite not to reveal plot points, I just hate the way 'spoil the surprise' has become 'spoil the work '.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah there's something to be said for not knowing in advance about, for example, the lawnmower scene in mad men, the first time you see it, but not being able to talk at all about the entire premise of the work for fear of 'spoiling' it is very silly

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sebmojo posted:

The modern obsession with spoilers is so dumb.
This is one of those opinions I always see pop up, and like, okay, that's great for you.

They fundamentally change how I experience art and I'm not you. I super care about not getting spoiled and Terminator 2 would've been a better movie if the twist was revealed at the break into 2 like it was supposed to instead of in the damned trailers.

I'm legit angry I didn't get to see that movie the way it was meant to be seen, y'know? I'm not asking you to suddenly start caring about spoilers for yourself, but your way isn't the one true way. It's just your way.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the only time in history it was morally correct to spoil a work was the people who shouted "snape kills dumbledore!!" at the midnight sales of harry potter 6

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Morality and spoiler don't belong in the same sentence. Get some perspective

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

kalel posted:

the only time in history it was morally correct to spoil a work was the people who shouted "snape kills dumbledore!!" at the midnight sales of harry potter 6

No, I think the shirts that included the "I just saved you 600 some pages of reading" we're the better trolls. Also, when FYAD was titled "Han dies!" for the first month after The Force Awakens came out. That one tripped me up because, it being FYAD, I thought someone was joking. Then I'm sitting in the theatre and then Han's standing on a bridge and I think to myself "oh poo poo! they were actually being truthful!"

Spoilers are weird

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

LividLiquid posted:

This is one of those opinions I always see pop up, and like, okay, that's great for you.

They fundamentally change how I experience art and I'm not you. I super care about not getting spoiled and Terminator 2 would've been a better movie if the twist was revealed at the break into 2 like it was supposed to instead of in the damned trailers.

I'm legit angry I didn't get to see that movie the way it was meant to be seen, y'know? I'm not asking you to suddenly start caring about spoilers for yourself, but your way isn't the one true way. It's just your way.

The whole language of the film tells you that Arnold is a good guy, in his very first scene he plucks sunglasses off a guy's face and rides off on a motorcycle as Bad to the Bone plays. If James Cameron thought that the trailer was ruining a twist he wouldn't have allowed it, and I know this because he's James Cameron.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rochallor posted:

The whole language of the film tells you that Arnold is a good guy, in his very first scene he plucks sunglasses off a guy's face and rides off on a motorcycle as Bad to the Bone plays. If James Cameron thought that the trailer was ruining a twist he wouldn't have allowed it, and I know this because he's James Cameron.
I don't agree with any of that, but even if I did, that's just one example.

I don't want to be thinking ten steps ahead of a movie because some dickhead thought his way of looking at art was the correct one and decided to ruin mine.

It's weird we're having this discussion in this thread in particular because Matthew Weiner was so against spoilers all of the "Next Time on Mad Men" trailers were just people saying "huh?"

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Every “next time on Mad Men” spot should have just been quick shots of people walking into offices and pouring drinks in the middle of the day

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Were they not?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
25% people pouring drinks
25% people opening or closing doors
20% people saying either "He said WHAT?" or "That's not what I said" or "I can't believe you're saying this"
20% people saying "Who else knows about this?"
9% shots of Draper family members frowning and shaking their heads
1% lawnmower

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

And the show was better for it.

Imagine if all the biggest WTF moments of the show were telegraphed in a "Next time on."

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

imagine watching peggy saying "I'm putting in the customary two weeks [cut in the shots of Don kissing her hand and her pulling away] ...it's time for a change" for the first time in a loving spot. what a horrible way to deny someone the experience of seeing it as it was meant to be seen. thank god matt wiener shut that poo poo down from the get go (and also for indirectly killing the walking dead lol)

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

LividLiquid posted:

And I think that is fair, but I think Sebmojo also has a point, because if you are so anti-spoiler that you can't even say that "The terminator is about a robot from the future trying to kill someone." that's actively working against getting someone to see the movie. Which is more inline which how anti spoiler The One I Love's marketing went rather than ruining the reveal that Arnold's robot is good in T2.

Either version of anti/pro spoiler can go too far.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

I'm legit angry I didn't get to see that movie the way it was meant to be seen, y'know?

the way the super commercial blockbuster movie Terminator 2 was meant to be seen, was for you to see the trailer recognise the title and get excited, so precisely the way you saw it, actually

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ulvir posted:

the way the super commercial blockbuster movie Terminator 2 was meant to be seen, was for you to see the trailer recognise the title and get excited, so precisely the way you saw it, actually
I am not you. Okay? Do you understand that? It's important to me that you understand that I'm not you.

KellHound posted:

And I think that is fair, but I think Sebmojo also has a point, because if you are so anti-spoiler that you can't even say that "The terminator is about a robot from the future trying to kill someone." that's actively working against getting someone to see the movie. Which is more inline which how anti spoiler The One I Love's marketing went rather than ruining the reveal that Arnold's robot is good in T2.

Either version of anti/pro spoiler can go too far.
I agree with this.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I am not a literal toddler, so yes, I understand that other people are not me. I’m saying that trailers mentioning a plot point that’s not even a twist, but the entire premise of the film, is not an affront to moviegoers.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Speaking of spoilers, did not see Lane’s end coming. I could tell things were going extremely badly for him, but I sure didn’t expect it to end like that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ulvir posted:

I am not a literal toddler, so yes, I understand that other people are not me. I’m saying that trailers mentioning a plot point that’s not even a twist, but the entire premise of the film, is not an affront to moviegoers.
It is a twist. The entire structure of the first act is set up so you never see the T-1000 kill anybody. "Who's the bad guy" permeates every creative decision made up to that point. The "get down" moment with the guns and roses is the reveal. This is basic loving media literacy here, man. Come on.

Just because you were spoiled by marketing doesn't mean the film wasn't set up to be something said marketing absolutely ruined.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I FINALLY got to ”THE KING ORDERED IT!!”

I’ve known it as a Mad Men Meme for years now, but had no context.

I have to say, that is probably the single funniest moment of the show for me so far. Or, at least, it’s tied with dude losing his toes under the riding lawnmower.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I just finished.

I guess there are a lot of things I can say about it. First, I’m certain that my top three facorite tv shows ever are Sopranos, The Wire, and now Mad Men. This show was absolutely amazing.

Second, and maybe I need to think about this a while, but I really hated the end for Sally. I wanted so badly for her to find some kind of happiness. Most of the other characters did!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

She's fine

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I don't think Sally had a bad ending or anything. She just became disillusioned of her dad in the last 2 seasons, and basically grew up. There's no finality to it because she's just beginning, but I doubt her actual life story would be series worthy.

If anything, her intense rejection of Betty and then softness towards her at the end indicates to me she processed her feelings about her parents pretty well. As much as Sally is her own character in the show, she also mainly serves as a reflection of Don and Betty and the social situation they brought her up in. Sally's intelligent, and will - hopefully - have a better life than both of her parents, having seen how they both failed in their own ways, but were products of their time in a way she won't be. She'll be a whole different set of ingredients, and for the most part, improved.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

roomtone posted:

Sally's intelligent, and will - hopefully - have a better life than both of her parents, having seen how they both failed in their own ways, but were products of their time in a way she won't be. She'll be a whole different set of ingredients, and for the most part, improved.

I guess what got to me was, the second to last time we see her, Bobby is trying to make a grilled cheese on the stove but he’s burned it, and she tells him to get another pan, and she will teach him how to do it.

I took this to mean that Sally, who is growing up, now needs to grow up a lot faster, because she’s going to be both big sister and surrogate mommy.

Then the last time we see her, she’s doing the dishes, while Betty sits behind her at the table. Betty, who’s completely given up on everything but making sure Sally knows the location of the dress that Betty wants to be buried in.

And then the neighbor kid, Sally’s friend, flunking out of college and getting sent to Vietnam. Ugh.

I may need to watch that last episode again but I thought it was a horrible, dreary ending for Sally.

I am going through a lot of poo poo in my life right now, so maybe that part of the ending hit me a little harder than it ordinarily would have.

I guess for me, it just stood out in contrast to the endings we see for many of the other characters, most of whom find some happiness.

Although I do agree with what you said. She’s smart, and she’s had plenty of examples of how not to live her life, thanks to Betty and Don.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

every character's ending in the last two episodes, with maybe the exception of Harry's, can be read as either good or bad and it depends entirely on your personal relationship with that character. that's the genius of it.

MrMojok posted:

I just finished.

I guess there are a lot of things I can say about it. First, I’m certain that my top three facorite tv shows ever are Sopranos, The Wire, and now Mad Men. This show was absolutely amazing.

they're pretty much unquestionably the greatest TV shows ever made. nothing else hits like they do.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Sally Draper was gentle with her brother in a situation in which Betty Draper would have been mean to Sally.

This shows that she's going to have a better emotional life than her mom.

Y u mad

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Sally Draper is going to be the worst kind of boomer come the GW Bush era

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

kalel posted:

every character's ending in the last two episodes, with maybe the exception of Harry's, can be read as either good or bad and it depends entirely on your personal relationship with that character. that's the genius of it.

Did Harry do anything besides trend downward after the tryst in...season 1?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Aces High posted:

Did Harry do anything besides trend downward after the tryst in...season 1?

There was the episode in Season Two where he recruited Joan to help with content vetting but he managed to gently caress that up by the end too so no, it was downward trending and nothing else.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

kalel posted:

That’s an interesting point, that I hadn’t thought of!

All the more so because I was not a fan of Don. It was a fantastic performance by Hamm, but as the show went on I became more and more tired of his self-destructive antics.

However, to me, his ending was showing that he’s managed to forgive himself for the things that he’s done. And managed to find some measure of peace in his life, and I was very glad for him.

Greg12 posted:

Sally Draper was gentle with her brother in a situation in which Betty Draper would have been mean to Sally.

This shows that she's going to have a better emotional life than her mom.

Y u mad

This is also a very valid point. Also, is your name inspired by the show Patriot?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

MrMojok posted:

This is also a very valid point. Also, is your name inspired by the show Patriot?

Amazing goddamn show

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

MrMojok posted:

Also, is your name inspired by the show Patriot?

I just believe really strongly that Willie Nelson sang Pancho and Lefty better than Townes Van Zandt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Greg12 posted:

I just believe really strongly that Willie Nelson sang Pancho and Lefty better than Townes Van Zandt

See a doctor