Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Greg12 posted:

I just believe really strongly that Willie Nelson sang Pancho and Lefty better than Townes Van Zandt
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Greg12 posted:

Sally Draper was gentle with her brother in a situation in which Betty Draper would have been mean to Sally.

This shows that she's going to have a better emotional life than her mom.

Her ending is absolutely somber, but I do agree with this assessment. Sally and Glenn were clearly Matt Weiner working out some poo poo from his own childhood, as they both have these parallel processes of coming into an adult awareness of how flawed and disillusioning the adult world is, how fallible the adults in their orbit actually are. Betty's death in particular makes a lot of sense as a capstone to that. Sally's series arc is kind of the audience's, seeing with sobering clarity how the glamorous and ideal suburban family she was born into is actually sick with dysfunction. Her handsome, successful war hero dad is actually a drunk, lecherous imposter, and her gorgeous cake-topper of a mother is actually an immature, miserable child.

Her ending also harkens back to what Don said to the American Cancer Society: "children will look to their parents and see they're not long for this world," but also that "the children will really be thinking of themselves." Sally's teen years are full of hosed up psychological lessons, inappropriate parentification, way premature exposure to sex and lies and resentment. But the silver lining, I think, is the point you're making here: she's not taking this out on her brothers, she's choosing to be a better person internally in spite of her parents' example. It sucks that she was asked to be the adult in the room so often, but now she is one. And a far more responsible, caring one than she ever saw modeled for her.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah that's well put.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It really is, and that one plus other posts here have helped me to feel better about Sally.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.
Also, Sally not taking things out on her brothers, being kind where Betty would be cruel, is showing that therapy helped Sally in the long run. There was that scene where the therapist is helping Sally understand why her mother lashes out without excusing it. She helped Sally build emotional tools her parents lack.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I get why people weep for the loss of innocence or whatever but I always remember HATING being a kid. Growing up whipped rear end lol

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sally went through a lot, including the entire world gaslighting her when she said her brother looks different

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

KellHound posted:

Also, Sally not taking things out on her brothers, being kind where Betty would be cruel, is showing that therapy helped Sally in the long run. There was that scene where the therapist is helping Sally understand why her mother lashes out without excusing it. She helped Sally build emotional tools her parents lack.

the entire show is itself an advertisement... for therapy :aaaaa:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sebmojo posted:

Yeah that's well put.
Very much so.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Started season 6 and you can feel the jump to the end of 1967. Half the male cast look like a Beatle except Abe who so obviously got into Zappa.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

after watching jon play roy in fargo s5

don in s6 is gonna be a tough loving watch

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Episode 4 of season 6 and we get that Serge Gainsbourg needle drop which Rush Hour 3 used that same song but that's Rush Hour 3 and what I might do is pretend like I heard Serge Gainsbourg first through Mad Men and not Rush Hour 3 but then I'm thinking the episode aired in 2013 and Rush Hour 3 came out in 2007 so I couldn't edit my personal Serge Gainsbourg history enough to accomodate getting into his music 2013 or later anyways Harry has probably brought in the most consistent work for the firm so why they got to treat him so bad?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cause he's a dickhead

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

don't behaviour in s6 is loving shocking

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

For real, the difference between S1 Don and S6 Don is creative wizardry. S1 Don made smoking and drinking look so loving cool. Hell yeah, do I want an Old Fashioned! Look at this sophisticated bitch in his sharkskin suit and his sculptural cocktail glasses! But S6 Don? Jesus Christ, man...why are you so sweaty. And haggard. And ugh, is that a fifth of corner store vodka? In your orange juice, at 7am? I can smell this shot and it's giving me a headache.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You should want an Old Fashioned because they're awesome, regardless of what Don did or did not do

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

roomtone posted:

don't behaviour in s6 is loving shocking

you're either a don, or a don't

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Sash! posted:

You should want an Old Fashioned because they're awesome, regardless of what Don did or did not do

I often do. With walnut bitters and brown sugar, though. Excellent variation, highly recommended. Just not at 7am.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

What if it is 7 AM because I didn't sleep the night before and also I just flew in from Europe so my body thinks it is actually 1 AM?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

sebmojo posted:

you're either a don, or a don't

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Matt Weiner: I couldn't have been clearer about how you, the viewer, should feel about Don Draper: Don't do what Don doesn't don't do.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Got to episode 4 (for real, this time) of season 6 and we get that awards show and– Oh god, the directing in that scene is so good I want to put it on a cake. Paul Newman is so far away from the camera you can't tell it's him but the prolonged camera shots with him in the distance set up an unsettling foundation for what comes next. He talks about who he's supporting for president and then that guy shouts out something apparently upsetting but the mixing is appropriately muffled so me the viewer? I have no idea what that guy said but everyone in the show does. Abe stands up and gets mad. Joan's crying. I'm sitting there like what the in hell is going on?

Cut to the diner scene with Ginsberg and when I heard the radio announcement that Martin Luther King has been shot and I'm like oh poo poo, we were coming up to this historic event in the 1960s timeline. Totally caught me off guard. This episode was a solemn watch unlike the Kennedy episode which was tons of fun. At least this time Peggy got the news right away instead of turning off the TV to sleep with Duck.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Matt Weiner: I couldn't have been clearer about how you, the viewer, should feel about Don Draper: Don't do what Don doesn't don't do.
Laughing emoji.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Actually thinking back to the MLK episode of Mad Men, the one property insurance salesman coming in the day after MLK is shot and telling everyone about the dream he had... wow, what the hell is up with that guy? Props to the writers for perfectly illustrating that kind of person who has to make everything about them. What a lowkey weirdo.

Just finished Episode 7. I'm not sure why Don is getting so grotesquely dominating on Sylvia. Even though I think the arc Don has with Sylvia is well-trodden ground for his character, his relationship with Sylvia does have its unique factors. I laughed out loud when Ted says that the skies are clear when you're above the clouds and then it cuts to him and Don in his plane in the shakiest weather.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

Just finished Episode 7. I'm not sure why Don is getting so grotesquely dominating on Sylvia. Even though I think the arc Don has with Sylvia is well-trodden ground for his character, his relationship with Sylvia does have its unique factors. I laughed out loud when Ted says that the skies are clear when you're above the clouds and then it cuts to him and Don in his plane in the shakiest weather.

Consider what else is going on in Don's world in that episode. A sense of control is probably exactly what he's craving. And power play in the bedroom is not without precedent for him; he assumes the reverse role in season 4 with his sex worker friend.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

It was yesterday I watched Episode 8 "The Crash" and I'm still thinking about Ken's dance.

Just finished Episode 9 today, though, and Season 6 has turned Abe into a cartoon. Poor sucker got stabbed 3 times in a single episode!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DoubleCakes posted:

Actually thinking back to the MLK episode of Mad Men, the one property insurance salesman coming in the day after MLK is shot and telling everyone about the dream he had... wow, what the hell is up with that guy? Props to the writers for perfectly illustrating that kind of person who has to make everything about them. What a lowkey weirdo.

I don't think he was the kind of person that has to make everything about them, so much as he was loving nuts. That guy was somehow selling insurance instead of yelling at squirrels in the park to stop stealing his emotions.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Almost at the end of Season 6 and man does the first season of the show feel like a different story, and I mean that in a good way. Never before has a piece of media illustrated how wildly the 1960s changed America.

Episode 11 had a pretty gamechanging scene where Sally walks in on Don & Sylvia. Then you get the dinner scene where Arnold and Mitchell arrive to thank Don and they say he's a really good man. I was tricked, honestly. I thought Don was helping Mitchell just to help someone. But nope– he did it all for the nookie.

Episode 12– oh my god do I feel so sorry for Ken. His literal job is to suffer endlessly for the Chevy deal and he's suffered permanent damage for it, probably. He's become a low-key decent guy as someone who really early on in the show. Don is completely checked out, though. He is so checked out he could be going to work in Albany because it does not matter.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I saw a TikTok of random facts people can’t believe they just figured out and one was that they are called Mad Men as in Madison Avenue. Is that true? I feel really stupid now and think it might have even said that in the pilot opening but not sure if I’m overthinking it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Annabel Pee posted:

I saw a TikTok of random facts people can’t believe they just figured out and one was that they are called Mad Men as in Madison Avenue. Is that true? I feel really stupid now and think it might have even said that in the pilot opening but not sure if I’m overthinking it.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Xealot posted:

Her ending is absolutely somber, but I do agree with this assessment. Sally and Glenn were clearly Matt Weiner working out some poo poo from his own childhood, as they both have these parallel processes of coming into an adult awareness of how flawed and disillusioning the adult world is, how fallible the adults in their orbit actually are. Betty's death in particular makes a lot of sense as a capstone to that. Sally's series arc is kind of the audience's, seeing with sobering clarity how the glamorous and ideal suburban family she was born into is actually sick with dysfunction. Her handsome, successful war hero dad is actually a drunk, lecherous imposter, and her gorgeous cake-topper of a mother is actually an immature, miserable child.

Her ending also harkens back to what Don said to the American Cancer Society: "children will look to their parents and see they're not long for this world," but also that "the children will really be thinking of themselves." Sally's teen years are full of hosed up psychological lessons, inappropriate parentification, way premature exposure to sex and lies and resentment. But the silver lining, I think, is the point you're making here: she's not taking this out on her brothers, she's choosing to be a better person internally in spite of her parents' example. It sucks that she was asked to be the adult in the room so often, but now she is one. And a far more responsible, caring one than she ever saw modeled for her.

One thing I like about Sally's story is you get to see why Boomers Are The Way They Are. It's actually kinda funny that "Boomer" has evolved into a term to mean "old out of touch (likely white) person" - where the decades previous to that it encapsulated a revolutionary generational shift and anti-conformity backlash to stultifying suburbia.

Whatever our complaints about Boomers and how they parented Millennials and Gen-Z... the Silent/Greatest Generation were far, far worse.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I randomly thought about my favorite Mad Men moment this afternoon and couldn't find it uploaded anywhere anymore so I grabbed it and put it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-b-wokdYsM

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 28, 2024

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Im betting those old 60s pop tarts were NOT GREAT, BOB!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sure okay posted:

Im betting those old 60s pop tarts were NOT GREAT, BOB!
I mean, it was probably before everything tasted like corn syrup and gas, so they might've been better.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They didn't have frosting

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

They didn't have frosting
I remember when they added that, though not the specific point where it became the only option.

I wanna' see the whole Mad Men story of how Cinnamon Toast Crunch took one of their three chefs, had him go missing, started a whole "find Wendel" campaign, then suddenly he was the only chef and the other two were quietly cartoon murdered behind a cartoon shed.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
My second favorite line was easier to find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SONRSUcKk4k

I think about "Manischewitz are GOOD people - they're YOUR people - and they sell wine for religious ceremonies of all faiths!" every time I pass by the wine aisle at the grocery store.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022

Randallteal posted:

I randomly thought about my favorite Mad Men moment this afternoon and couldn't find it uploaded anywhere anymore so I grabbed it and put it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-b-wokdYsM

His wife's delivery and expression in this is wonderful. This show always did a really good job on casting minor characters.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm between Season 6 & 7 and Don and Roger's conversation on Munich after Pete asks what they are referencing is sticking with me. "Well, who won that war?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoubleCakes posted:

I'm between Season 6 & 7 and Don and Roger's conversation on Munich after Pete asks what they are referencing is sticking with me. "Well, who won that war?"
I wish I remembered this, 'cause it sounds fantastic.

Edit: Ope. Nevermind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6rHu1i0Lo