Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

botw weapons should've been more fragile, my bag was bursting under the constant rain of weapons i couldn't pick up anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Endorph posted:

'restock automatically from your inventory' i should say, you dont have to go back and manually buy them between deaths or smth. but yea if you do keep bombing out there is a bit of grinding in your future, point

Same as Demon's Souls in that regard, you had to farm the healing grass occasionally.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Endorph posted:

i think if you willingly type this you should be sent to jail

Protect. 👏 Witch. 👏 Spaces. 👏

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I just fired up vampire survivor on my phone after not playing for almost a year because I didn't know they had entries of the enemies written out and they were by sterling

But yeah they are not funny, it feels like I'm reading mark millar

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAJVmEmkawc speaking of cool friction in games heres a video on baroque, a saturn/psx roguelike that is extremely bizarre in just about every way. if you want an image of baroque's vibe without clicking on a video, here you go

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I dunno why you'd even think hiring a youtube rant maker is a good person to hire for your game's writing in the first place. At least when your hire them as a VA, they might make a funny meme voice that lures in rubes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the half life 2 mod where the president is voiced by keemstar

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Reminded of game mods where no one wants to fill out the bestiary/units description/etc for custom content, so they let fans on the discord do it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Endorph posted:

No wonder the Combine blew up humanity in 7 hours.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dunno why you'd even think hiring a youtube rant maker is a good person to hire for your game's writing in the first place. At least when your hire them as a VA, they might make a funny meme voice that lures in rubes.

A lot of the stuff in these enemy descriptions feel like they are trying to be memes. There's one about how the minotaurs in the milk factory are male but also the ones producing the milk there and you shouldn't question it. And I'm like yeah that means they are taking too much steroids??

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

IShallRiseAgain posted:

for the publicity if your target audience is casual gamers

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Fil5000 posted:

Sterling's stuff remains frustrating to me as while they're right they're saying literally the same thing over and over again over different footage. And they've said that when they put something positive out into the world, their view count drops.

It's always a relief to read stuff like this as I went off them in their Destructoid era for much the same reason and have never seen a reason to give another shot.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's also a way of establishing financial relationships with influencers without paying overtly for video sponsorships that need to be disclosed. I mean, the labor relationship does still have to be disclosed, but it's easier to spin.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

Bloodborne does, you just don't notice it unless you are doing one of the weird blood gem builds that lowers weapon durability in exchange for attack boosts.

Or you main the Tonitrus, that things made out of paper.

There was a part of FromSoft history where they always tried to put weapon durability in their games but never implemented it in a way where it mattered because just it wasn’t a good fit. At some point they wisely stopped including it, to almost no fanfare. I still have trouble remembering which games did and did not have durability, except for Dark Souls 2 because it had that weird giant bug that farted out blue mist which fixed your weapons. Oh yeah, and that hammer with a rock at the end of it with 999 durability where if it breaks it turns into a new weapon.

Even now, thinking about it as hard as I can, I genuinely cannot remember whether Dark Souls 1 had durability.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Ariong posted:

There was a part of FromSoft history where they always tried to put weapon durability in their games but never implemented it in a way where it mattered because just it wasn’t a good fit. At some point they wisely stopped including it, to almost no fanfare. I still have trouble remembering which games did and did not have durability, except for Dark Souls 2 because it had that weird giant bug that farted out blue mist which fixed your weapons. Oh yeah, and that hammer with a rock at the end of it with 999 durability where if it breaks it turns into a new weapon.

Even now, thinking about it as hard as I can, I genuinely cannot remember whether Dark Souls 1 had durability.

it does. i only know this bc on my first playthrough the gaping dragon barfed on me so much all my weapons broke

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

fun hater posted:

yea i get hiring but why writing...

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

fun hater posted:

Yeah, but a casual gamer is less likely to know or care about who wrote for a game. If they say a meme in a funny voice, people will post clips of it online.

One really blatant example of doing this type of baiting was 2064: Read Only Memory. They got a bunch of random internet people to do a voice. Some of them were a really bad fit, like Dan Ryckert from Giant Bomb, who has made it clear they dislike that type of game multiple times. It seemed to have worked though, and the game was ultra-popular for a short period.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

BOTW's durability system was something I did not like in the slightest. I think it was poorly implemented and completely redundant. For starters you get so many weapons that it just clogs you inventory because the developers wanted to make sure you had a bunch of backups stored away. But it also infused in you a sense of loss (I know, theme of the game reflected in gameplay, which is good, but again, poorly implemented) so you got this unhealthy "save it for later" mentality with the better weapons, which were more rare. It's the final boss and I don't want to use one of my 86 elixirs I have. I think this stuff can be done really well. Like resource management of going out on an adventure. Having weapon durability on a few weapons that you have to repair back at town or a little bit in a camp, would create that friction without a clogged inventory and making it harder to form bad habits. I did enjoy the two Zelda games quite a bit - Tears of the Kingdom more so - but the durability stuff was something I never liked.

I used to go to bat for Sterling in this thread but their output just doesn't interest me anymore. It feels like they took their gimmick of "Thank god for me" joke and started to actually believe it - real main character kind of nonsense hence that bad tweet. Their reviews read like weird, angry rants when they don't like something and while their videos on industry crap practices, which should be called out, are just becoming repetitive at this point. Even worse is that they don't even need the revenue from these videos, which they said in the past.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 27, 2024

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

cumpantry posted:

because people who are fans of sterling inexplicably seem to love the presentation of the videos the most

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, but a casual gamer is less likely to know or care about who wrote for a game. If they say a meme in a funny voice, people will post clips of it online.

One really blatant example of doing this type of baiting was 2064: Read Only Memory. They got a bunch of random internet people to do a voice. Some of them were a really bad fit, like Dan Ryckert from Giant Bomb, who has made it clear they dislike that type of game multiple times. It seemed to have worked though, and the game was ultra-popular for a short period.

read only memories got a ton of praise for how woke and comforting it was and then iirc one of the leads turned out to be a sex monster

fun hater
May 24, 2009

cumpantry posted:

this is very cynical but its easier and cheaper to patch out than voice lines if your chosen youtuber turns out to be D.B. Cooper in disguise or jeffrey dahner 2.0

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also its a job you can give a youtuber that yo dont actually care about but gets their name on the board

like does anyone care about vampire survivors having enemy descriptions

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

also its a job you can give a youtuber that yo dont actually care about but gets their name on the board

like does anyone care about vampire survivors having enemy descriptions

i forgot it had them until right now lol

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Endorph posted:

read only memories got a ton of praise for how woke and comforting it was and then iirc one of the leads turned out to be a sex monster

Why does it always seem to be like this with indie games

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAJVmEmkawc speaking of cool friction in games heres a video on baroque, a saturn/psx roguelike that is extremely bizarre in just about every way. if you want an image of baroque's vibe without clicking on a video, here you go

Baroque ftw
The music is really creepy

I played the Wii port, it's cool to learn about more the original ty

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I remember within like one or two months after read only memories was released it got put into one of those humble bundle types where you could pay any price you want (because their publisher was an idiot, maybe?) and it severely screwed with their sales

Also there's a scene where no matter what you do you would get yelled at by a cat girl for calling her a cat girl which is apparently a form of bigotry and I just stopped there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the ceo of the company made a tweet going WE DON'T NEED TRUMP VOTERS BUYING OUR GAME and then when it got review bombed on metacritic he went 'hear you loud and clear: no more politics'

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
between the above bit in read only memories and vall-hall-a’s cyborg sex worker who mods herself to look like a 12-year old girl and has lengthy dialogues insisting you should really quit being such a prude, cyberpunk bartending sims have had a poor record

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Why does it always seem to be like this with indie games

I don't think it is, per se, or even game dev in particular, it's just a lot harder to cover up in a small business vs large, tends to be conspicuously at odds with aesthetics and company values, plus ignoring culture war poo poo for easy points, and the very catty/gossipy/online nature of the gig, the consumer.. Gamers... tend to be insane as hell regardless of what they happen to believe in at the moment

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

between the above bit in read only memories and vall-hall-a’s cyborg sex worker who mods herself to look like a 12-year old girl and has lengthy dialogues insisting you should really quit being such a prude, cyberpunk bartending sims have had a poor record

thank you i was having trouble remembering the name of the other identical game that came out around the same time because the western indie game space somehow has less ideas than the western aaa game space

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Those two games are set in the same universe lol.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I enjoyed valhalla but that sex child robot is some dire poo poo and I think we were supposed to like that character because she's sassy

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
I thought Red Strings Club was fine but maybe I missed something.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

wizard2 posted:

I don't think it is, per se, or even game dev in particular, it's just a lot harder to cover up in a small business vs large, tends to be conspicuously at odds with aesthetics and company values, plus ignoring culture war poo poo for easy points, and the very catty/gossipy/online nature of the gig, the consumer.. Gamers... tend to be insane as hell regardless of what they happen to believe in at the moment
Yeah, when it turns out Ubisoft is full of rapists they were already a faceless mass of employees. Whereas indie devs are more more directly associated with their product.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

valhalla has issues but the lp of it on here was extremely bad. im a centrist

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Endorph posted:

i think its more just that theres a lot of people who pretend to be game design experts but only play nintendo and western aaa poo poo (and fromsoft games) so botw was the first game they ever played where weapon durability was a major factor

Almost every one of those multi hour long screeds on any game that comes out always has a “how I would simply fix it” section and it’s the most insufferable poo poo of all time and the suggestions always have very clear issues you could poke holes in if that person was in an actual conversation.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
there is a pervasive assumption that game design or narrative decisions that don't please the consumer were made either moronically or maliciously by stupid rear end in a top hat developers.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Endorph posted:

It wasn't just a mod, it was a full standalone game endorsed, somehow, by Valve. And also had a bunch of other youtubers doing voices, as though getting Keemstar and Pyrocynical was anything other than a warning siren.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I would simply make the perfect video game and the gamers would rise to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Endorph posted:

Someone in another thread asked what hl2 mod should they try after the base game and I said hunt down the freeman which nobody else protested, I hope they play it because lol