Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Goons getting mad at the Pathfinder games for being too hard when they selected a high difficulty setting. The smartest thing Larian ever did was hiding their highest difficulty setting for Baldur's Gate 3 behind a screen scroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Alaois posted:

because people who are fans of sterling inexplicably seem to love the presentation of the videos the most

Which, I feel bad saying, but that was always my least favorite part of Sterling's videos. The first time I watched one I was like "Why is this person cosplaying as The Warden from Superjail?"

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Alaois posted:

thank you i was having trouble remembering the name of the other identical game that came out around the same time because the western indie game space somehow has less ideas than the western aaa game space

i dont think thats remotely true. valhalla is venezuelan also lol

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Someone in another thread asked what hl2 mod should they try after the base game and I said hunt down the freeman which nobody else protested, I hope they play it because lol

I'm p sure it got taken off steam for.... Everything

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Goons getting mad at the Pathfinder games for being too hard when they selected a high difficulty setting.l

People were getting mad at the next game the Pathfinder devs made, 40K Rogue Trader, because they kept trying to play things diplomatically and inevitably got betrayed by aliens and heretics.

Because it's 40K. That tends to be what happens the game warns you it'll likely happen, and then people get mad when it does happen.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Arc Hammer posted:

People were getting mad at the next game the Pathfinder devs made, 40K Rogue Trader, because they kept trying to play things diplomatically and inevitably got betrayed by aliens and heretics.

Because it's 40K. That tends to be what happens the game warns you it'll likely happen, and then people get mad when it does happen.

Gamers have been taught that the middle ground always gives the best rewards and upsets the fewest people, so it's very funny that a 40k game sticking to it's core premise of "the future is a nightmare hellscape and everything other than hyperfascism will result in humanity's extinction" exists.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Iconoclast and Heretic have been story beats than Dogmatic, but they're more work and tend to have bad poo poo happening to you. Somehow this is seen as a negative.

Fil5000 posted:

Gamers have been taught that the middle ground always gives the best rewards and upsets the fewest people, so it's very funny that a 40k game sticking to it's core premise of "the future is a nightmare hellscape and everything other than hyperfascism will result in humanity's extinction" exists.
There are also people complaining that being dogmatic cuts you off from storylines when you kill your own party members, as though the devs should create bespoke "murdered your own psyker" quests.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Terrible Opinions posted:

Iconoclast and Heretic have been story beats than Dogmatic, but they're more work and tend to have bad poo poo happening to you. Somehow this is seen as a negative.

There are also people complaining that being dogmatic cuts you off from storylines when you kill your own party members, as though the devs should create bespoke "murdered your own psyker" quests.

I wonder if those people have played Alpha Protocol where there's a bunch of choices that lock out one path and lock in another and then complained about it

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Fil5000 posted:

To be fair, that's always something I've kind of had an issue with about certain aspects of 40K media? Like I think it's a fine and perfectly valid choice to portray this hellscape universe where humanity is dominated by a hyperfascist theocratic dictatorship that enforces hardline xenophobia and is in a state of perma-war with every species who are also in a state of perma-war with everyone else, but when that hyperfascism becomes reinforced by the narrative or mechanics of the game as being entirely correct and justified it just feels like the writers are missing the point of their own satire. Now, I'm admittedly not super well versed on 40K lore, but the impression I get is that the setting works a lot better thematically with the subtext that the Imperium of Man's policies result in them shooting themselves in the foot on a massive scale, and that kind of gets lost when the narrative portrays the Imperium's policies as justified and correct?

Implemented poorly, it has big "GM sets up a no-win situation to force the Paladin to fall" energy.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

i havent beaten rogue trader but i got pretty far, and i never felt like the games goes out of its way to outright punish all iconoclast options. the ones that do punish you are more just like common sense poo poo, but you still have plenty of leeway on not being a horrible genocidal maniac.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Rogue Trader doesn't actually have this problem. Iconoclast (the not-fascist and not demon worshiping path) is harder because you're working against the flow of Imperial society and not accepting supernatural aid, but its endings and quest outcomes result in a better place to live in. What gets people upset is that a lot of NPCs will just think you're a rube for trying to be a good person and take advantage of that in story.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

KingKalamari posted:

To be fair, that's always something I've kind of had an issue with about certain aspects of 40K media? Like I think it's a fine and perfectly valid choice to portray this hellscape universe where humanity is dominated by a hyperfascist theocratic dictatorship that enforces hardline xenophobia and is in a state of perma-war with every species who are also in a state of perma-war with everyone else, but when that hyperfascism becomes reinforced by the narrative or mechanics of the game as being entirely correct and justified it just feels like the writers are missing the point of their own satire. Now, I'm admittedly not super well versed on 40K lore, but the impression I get is that the setting works a lot better thematically with the subtext that the Imperium of Man's policies result in them shooting themselves in the foot on a massive scale, and that kind of gets lost when the narrative portrays the Imperium's policies as justified and correct?

Implemented poorly, it has big "GM sets up a no-win situation to force the Paladin to fall" energy.

I think the point of 40k is that every race is constantly tripping on their own dicks in the interests of loving over everyone else. The overall message (to me at least) is that the universe trends towards being a chaotic mess and every race's attempts to do anything just makes it worse.

Some of the writers in that universe absolutely don't get it and just thing "Space Marines cool!" and ignore both subtext and text and present them as the good guys, instead of as deranged warrior monks who will burn down an entire planet in the name of ideological purity. It doesn't help that the fanbase are primarily teenage boys who don't really get the satire and middle aged men who remember how fun it was playing the game when they were teenage boys, who are mostly looking for dopamine hits that power armoured dudes firing hand held rocket launchers at space orcs provides.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The punishment for Iconoclast is basically "materially improved the lives of your people, but in a century or so the Imperial Navy will come in and wipe you all out for heresy"

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

40k rules because it is very funny at every level. giant warriors covered in paper with stupid shoulderpads shouting very seriously at a bus sized cockney goblin.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

pentyne posted:

The punishment for Iconoclast is basically "materially improved the lives of your people, but in a century or so the Imperial Navy will come in and wipe you all out for heresy"
Someone should have been a better father.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

40k rules because it is very funny at every level. giant warriors covered in paper with stupid shoulderpads shouting very seriously at a bus sized cockney goblin.

40k orks ftmfw

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

fun hater posted:

it does. i only know this bc on my first playthrough the gaping dragon barfed on me so much all my weapons broke

Skill issue

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

As someone looking in, having seen and heard from some fans and writers of the setting itself, it seems like they missed the the in a big way. "Tough men making tough decisions (to do ultrafascism)" is what I hear and ho boy. I look at the Imperium and I see such an over-the-top caricature of fascism at its complete and horrify end-point that I can't help but laugh at it. These aren't hard men making hard decisions. It's a bunch of morons fumblingly in the dark while spouting idiotic nonsense thinking it is profound. They think the God Emperor (in the setting and fans) is some badass dude when I look at the backstory and think "Wow, this guy was a loving moron baffoon".

Real "I identify with Paul Atreides" or "Paul Atreides did nothing wrong" energy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The funniest thing they did in 40k in recent years was have the ultramarines primarch come back and essentially go "What the absolute gently caress have you clowns been doing, jesus christ".

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

40k takes a huge chunk of it's story and setting from Dune down to the omniscient God Emperor doing a horrible genocide across the galaxy, so it's not a big surprise people miss the point similarly to Dune. The creators were essentially just disaffected nerds from mid England so it's a big mash of all the things they enjoyed plus anti-Thatcherism.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 27, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or Darktide which has some hilarious interactions that come from throwing homicidal chain gang inmates into a meat grinder. The grist the mill requires has some rather choice comments on the proper function of the Imperium.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
40k's setting is a lot of dumb fun (big fan of the fightnuns who will throw a cathedral at you) but the answer to "who would be stupid enough to take this obvious caricature as endorsement of its grotesque ideology?" will always be "yes"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Endorph posted:

everything in the dlc is just the little bonuses from the deluxe version lol. for some reason people think its an infinite cash shop

Yeah, I'm playing the PS5 version and as far as I can tell there isn't any way to actually buy any of that stuff in game. So I'm not sure why people are complaining so much when you never have to interact with it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of DD2 and ignoring all the weird fake drama around the DLC, how is it? Loved the original, and have been thinking about jumping into 2 once I've started to wind down on my Stardew 1.6 run. Are all the performance issues on PC legit gripes and, if so, is the PS5 version more solidly built?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Famethrowa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W6yGH6X1c4

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sydin posted:

Speaking of DD2 and ignoring all the weird fake drama around the DLC, how is it? Loved the original, and have been thinking about jumping into 2 once I've started to wind down on my Stardew 1.6 run. Are all the performance issues on PC legit gripes and, if so, is the PS5 version more solidly built?

the performance issues are real on PC, but the good news is that it performs just as badly on console so it isn't a port issue, thats just how the game is lol

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The hell are you on you can do good and succeed with Iconoclast.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

VA-11 HALL-A ftmfw

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sydin posted:

It's Dragon's Dogma bigger longer and with even more consequences and pain. It even runs like poo poo in places. It's like coming home

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Helldivers feels like an approach to the same ideas as 40k from a different direction - Super Earth is basically just the Imperium under an extremely thick coating of Starship Troopers-tinted paint and with the comedy aspect cranked up past 11. You're basically playing the setting equivalent of a Space Marine, complete with Drop Pods, cool armor and a "lesser, staffed by normal people" regular army that mostly shows up to be killed in droves. They already have Tyranids and Necrons and they'll probably get an Eldar-equivalent somewhere down the line. Like, the pieces are there, but its ALL played for laughs instead of Grimdark Seriousness and it doesn't pull its punches showing how horrible and dysfunctional this fascist police state really is. Your guy has an average lifespan of 2 minutes and is always immediately replaced by someone who is completely identical in every way except their voice. Everyone around you is screaming such blatantly obvious propaganda (or in some cases, propaganda mixed with in-universe product placement because they also have rampant capitalism in this setting) and cheerfully talking about their horrific working conditions like its all completely normal. And the blurbs accompanying your ship and item upgrades include fun tidbits like the fact that the big guns on your ship are loving muzzle loaded for some reason.

To bring up KingKalamari's point from earlier about showing the regime shooting itself in the foot, nearly every plot point in the background revolves around Super Earth deliberately making the worst possible decisions that always end up making new enemies or making their existing enemies stronger. Doing any kind of surface level research or critical thinking about the setting makes it very clear that they are stuck in a hell of their own making.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Helldivers is also pretty new and does not need you to like any of the in-universe factions in hopes of selling you plastic toys and paint. The comparison makes sense but the context in which both properties are developing is pretty different.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dragon's dogma 2 is a good game and it hits a lot of the same points as dd1 but i dont think it hits the weird high points dd1 had. its still cool that it exists tho

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Endorph posted:

dragon's dogma 2 is a good game and it hits a lot of the same points as dd1 but i dont think it hits the weird high points dd1 had. its still cool that it exists tho

Personally I think dogmatism is bad, even if it comes from fictional creatures. But hey, you do you I guess.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Imma watch Dragona Dogma 2 from a distance. I prefer multiple save files.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

40k is bad because Games Workshop keeps ruining the best bit of the lore (Ollanius Pius) in increasingly stupid ways.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Groovelord Neato posted:

40k is bad because Games Workshop keeps ruining the best bit of the lore (Ollanius Pius) in increasingly stupid ways.

Abnett at least rallied with Olly. But gently caress John Grammaticus

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I was on board with The End and the Death 3 all the way up until Loken's ending which made me say "gently caress off" out loud. No one loving cares about Samus Dan, no one will ever care about Samus.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Alaois posted:

the performance issues are real on PC, but the good news is that it performs just as badly on console so it isn't a port issue, thats just how the game is lol

lol right then, PC it is I guess. Maybe they'll have patched it up a bit in a couple weeks.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nazzadan posted:

I was on board with The End and the Death 3 all the way up until Loken's ending which made me say "gently caress off" out loud. No one loving cares about Samus Dan, no one will ever care about Samus.

I don't even care about Loken. How can someone with his backstory be so loving boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i watched the nearly 2 hour long dan schneider video and would you believe me if i told quinton didnt make a single salient point the entire video its incredible...

Did you laugh when he complained about you, the viewer, for not being cognizant of said points when talking to others about his work. Like, of all things to complain about!

Kunster fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 27, 2024